Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Man, it makes me sad to be posting this in the retro thread (since I remember when these games were red hot), but... did everyone kind of forget that the Legacy of Kain series existed? For a game that pretty much created the whole "AAA cinematic action-adventure" thing, people don't talk about Soul Reaver much these days.

Hey you're not the only one :) I was super into those games and played and beaten all of them. I was saddened at the time to hear that one of the lead writers left after Legacy of Kain: Defiance and thinking that there was going to be no final conclusion to the story. Soul Reaver's intro still gives me chills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DOKzTHaPfM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

univbee posted:

There are 3 different models of "Model 1" Genesis

Launch window units, "High Definition Graphics" without TRSS.
"High Definition Graphics" with TRSS.
Units without "High Definition Graphics".

The ones which say "High Definition Graphics" have the "best" audio if you go via the headphone jack on the front, but the lack-of TRSS (a copy protection scheme) carries a premium but you generally don't have to worry about it if you're using legit carts and/or an Everdrive, it's only for really weird bootleg stuff so don't pay extra for that.

All of that being said, the "worse" sound ones including the Model 2 aren't a massive downgrade, so if it's still legit $80ish cheaper to get one of those just do that, it's totally fine. Just don't get clone systems or Model 3's, is all.

If you want to dig through Model 2's, they have several revisions but it's somewhat inconsistent, the early better sound ones generally have a smaller motherboard shield so the vents on the bottom are "clear" for a part of them.

Yeah the one I have is the third ones, it doesn't have the HD Graphics label, but the ports are the one on top in the picture above.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wamdoodle posted:

Hey you're not the only one :) I was super into those games and played and beaten all of them. I was saddened at the time to hear that one of the lead writers left after Legacy of Kain: Defiance and thinking that there was going to be no final conclusion to the story. Soul Reaver's intro still gives me chills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DOKzTHaPfM

Honestly, even outside of that cutscene, Ozar Midrashim gives me chills every time I hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNWSDvDqm9g

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, even outside of that cutscene, Ozar Midrashim gives me chills every time I hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNWSDvDqm9g

:yeah: it's drat good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Man, it makes me sad to be posting this in the retro thread (since I remember when these games were red hot), but... did everyone kind of forget that the Legacy of Kain series existed? For a game that pretty much created the whole "AAA cinematic action-adventure" thing, people don't talk about Soul Reaver much these days.

Yeah Soul Reaver and Legacy of Kain were both pretty fun 3d action games for their time. Legacy of Kain in particular I liked how dark it was. And sucking blood out of people like you were using a vacuum cleaner was pretty fun times.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I saw this today at a nearby Salvation Army

I passed

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Mak0rz posted:

Oh well, I had a lot of fun playing Treasure Mountain and Reader Rabbit I guess :v:
Treasure Mountain is awesome. The rest of Super Solvers and Super Seekers line is equally good. Midnight Rescue and Gizmos and Gadgets still hold up, and Challenge of the Ancient Empires is surprisingly difficult, approaching it as an adult. Though it is far more of a platformer than an educational experience. Last time I checked, Archeologist dont have laserbeam hats and sneakers with rockets in them.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

shyduck posted:

I passed

I was just today wondering how many more Just Dance, PES and EA Sports games the system was going to get.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fastbilly1 posted:

Treasure Mountain is awesome. The rest of Super Solvers and Super Seekers line is equally good. Midnight Rescue and Gizmos and Gadgets still hold up, and Challenge of the Ancient Empires is surprisingly difficult, approaching it as an adult. Though it is far more of a platformer than an educational experience. Last time I checked, Archeologist dont have laserbeam hats and sneakers with rockets in them.

The best Learning Company game will forever be Zoombinis.

Treasure Mountain and Reader Rabbit were two of the first MSDOS games I ever played as a kid. That's some serious nostalgia.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

I dunno, I'd still take it over EGA's. You can do a lot more convincing color ranges with the C64, helped by the inclusion of three grays instead of only two, which work as pretty good bridges between differing hues.

Personally the best option would've been for IBM to let you change the EGA's stock 16-color palette to use any 16 of the 64 possible colors, much like 640x350 EGA lets you do, but they didn't design it that way, so this is where we are.

Do you want me to fight you?

Chalk it up to "good artists make good art" but I'll take late EGA over early VGA any day of the week. Especially in adventure games where designers relied on digitizing hi-res paintings into these muddy, gross lo-res backdrops. Because of the limitations of EGA (and by proxy C64's color palette) a lot of games used black as the base lighting so they wouldn't have to draw outlines which leads to these amazingly contrasting pieces that look like black velvet paintings.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Blood Omen is my favorite Zelda clone but the series is pretty forgettable after Soul Reaver which I'm afraid to replay.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

shyduck posted:

I passed
If it's never been played and never been stored anywhere with dust or heat you could get five good PS2-hardware-BC years out of that!

...and, of course, it's still not worth even a third of that much.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Relatedly, it has some embellishments for entertainment's sakes, but Micro Men is a good watch. The guy playing Sir Clive does a great job with his angry outbursts.

JET SET loving WILLY?!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

kirbysuperstar posted:

Relatedly, it has some embellishments for entertainment's sakes, but Micro Men is a good watch. The guy playing Sir Clive does a great job with his angry outbursts.

JET SET loving WILLY?!

I concur, it's rather decent and it's not hard to find. *cough*youtube*cough*

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

al-azad posted:

Do you want me to fight you?
Maybe! Though, looking on to the rest of your post...

al-azad posted:

Chalk it up to "good artists make good art" but I'll take late EGA over early VGA any day of the week. Especially in adventure games where designers relied on digitizing hi-res paintings into these muddy, gross lo-res backdrops. Because of the limitations of EGA (and by proxy C64's color palette) a lot of games used black as the base lighting so they wouldn't have to draw outlines which leads to these amazingly contrasting pieces that look like black velvet paintings.
...I'm not sure we're exactly disagreeing? I'm totally good with 16-color palettes, I just kinda feel like the C64's was more flexible than EGA's was in the end. This is admittedly colored by A: seeing what modern-day pixel artists manage with the palette years after its relevancy, and B: growing up with the EGA, and you know how familiarity breeds contempt/grass is always greener/etc. I can definitely think of good games that used EGA - most LucasArts games of that era (like your Loom shot, though I've only played the VGA CD version that's apparently missing a buncha stuff from the EGA release) or Apogee games (like Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, or the yellow/purple contrast in this Word Rescue level).

Though really, what I was thinking of when I was making the earlier posts were along the lines of games that were developed for the Amiga or Apple IIgs or something that happened to receive DOS ports, but the ports in question only used EGA and PC speaker sounds, either because VGA and Adlib/Sound Blaster hadn't hit the scene yet or because the developers didn't care to target it. Things like Zany Golf or Adventure Game Set (compare Amiga to DOS, egh). Results were generally better when EGA was the target all along (see what I cited last paragraph).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Okay I get you. I kind of, sort of (maybe not really) have some fondness for the days where ports were wildly different although you'd often get the lazy garbage DOS ports with bleeps and boops and purple and cyan everywhere.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

shyduck posted:

I passed

Huh. A couple years ago I passed up a $15 one at Goodwill with no cords because I was afraid it'd have YLOD or something and didn't want to mess with it. My curiosity as to what Resonance of Fate is like to play will have to wait until I feel like getting into PS3 proper.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

My dad and uncle used to run a Radio Shack so one day he came home with a Tandy 1000 HX that I pretty much only used to play old edutainment games. It was only really recently I learned, thanks to people like LGR and DOS Nostalgia, that it was once considered a top of the line gaming PC and now I'm kicking myself for not realizing it back then.

Then again, this was in the early 90's when that computer was considered "Quite Old," but I wouldn't really have anything else to play PC games on for a while anyway.

Oh well, I had a lot of fun playing Treasure Mountain and Reader Rabbit I guess :v:

I really like the design of the 1000HX and wish more PCs were released in that style of keyboard integrated case. If someone released a case like that now I'd definitely build a secondary low end PC with one

e: by that I mean a normal case with it's own design, not a case designed to look like a C64 or whateverthefuck which is kinda weird to me

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't know if Frank's going to pimp his new venture here so I'll do it for him: he's officially launched a non-profit org to work full-time on the preservation of games and game history and you can help fund their work via Patreon or one-off donations:

http://gamehistory.org/

https://www.patreon.com/gamehistoryorg

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Legacy of Kain was a bit of a sleeper hit; it was a really rough game but it was creatively different. Soul Reaver was a really good game in the style that was popular at that moment. And then after that the games are not so good for a lot of reasons. The already shaky story went right off a cliff while at the same time they started heavily emphasizing it. The gameplay dropped the interesting elements from previous games. So Blood Omen 2 and Soul Reaver 2 were just plain lovely games.

I've got a copy of Defiance that I picked up a few years ago which I still haven't played. I've heard that it was even more rushed than the previous games (Blood Omen 2 and Soul Reaver 2) and winds up being completely unsatisfactory as a conclusion. And yet I still feel like I should actually complete the series sometime.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I played some Soul Reaver on my Dreamcast recently and got lost in the hub world and didn't really know what to do or where to go. In my defense, I was very drunk when I did that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I loved the original Blood Omen. I ran around yelling "VAE VICTUS!!!" to everyone at work.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Climax Studios (Silent Hill Origins/Shattered Memories) was making a new game for PS360 subtitled Dead Sun but it was never officially announced.

The multiplayer mode from Dead Sun was spun off as a free-to-play game called Nosgoth - it was developed by Psyonix (Rocket League) and while I never played it I heard it was actually okay, but Psyonix dropped it the moment Rocket League took off.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Also remember retro computer people if you want more computer and less console we do have a mega thread for it that I try to keep somewhat casual but like this thread it does sometimes get too technical https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577352&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

So it's always there for your computer old gaming needs since most in this thread probably don't give a gently caress about Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe or the proper way to play old First Person games or anything. (The answer is a USB numeric keypad on the left side of your keyboard. Ideally a smaller keyboard so your arm placement is comfy. Joy2Key and a 1 handed joystick are also possible answers to your Eye of the Beholder and Ultima Underworld needs.)

I know I am a weirdo who just wants more fun games in the nicest looking and playing forms with the least expended efforts but there are those sad folks who are console only or PC MASTER RACE only. IDGI but life is short so to each their own. (I have been buying a lot on the ps4 just because PHYSICAL GODDAMNED COPY though. And sometimes I get older PC games on the PS1 and Amiga titles on the Genesis/SNES just for some of my criteria. Also you know Shadow of the Beast is best on the Turbo CD with better graphics, music, and difficulty that actually makes it FUN. Reminds me I need to see if the Sega CD version of 2 does similar. Though the SCD Dungeon Master 2 is kind of inferior. SMS Ultima 4 is loving great though. Character icon sprites are sort of poo poo but everything else is glorious.)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't know if Frank's going to pimp his new venture here so I'll do it for him: he's officially launched a non-profit org to work full-time on the preservation of games and game history and you can help fund their work via Patreon or one-off donations:

This is the only Patreon I support aside from that one dude translating PC-98 games that stopped taking donations and disappeared a couple months back

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

The best Learning Company game will forever be Zoombinis.

Some of my favorite elementary school memories were playing this. I still occasionally say to my friends, "WHOEVER YOU ARE, MAKE ME A PIZZA?"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

absolutely anything posted:

that one dude translating PC-98 games that stopped taking donations and disappeared a couple months back

Awww maaaaan.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fastbilly1 posted:

Yeah, I wasn't being sarcastic when I said I had a lot of fun playing it. I didn't have any of the other games from that series, though. Our schools always had Gizmos and Gadgets and that was just so good.

d0s posted:

I really like the design of the 1000HX and wish more PCs were released in that style of keyboard integrated case. If someone released a case like that now I'd definitely build a secondary low end PC with one

e: by that I mean a normal case with it's own design, not a case designed to look like a C64 or whateverthefuck which is kinda weird to me

Yeah that thing was pretty cool and we had a two-tiered desk that fit it perfectly: computer on the lower table, monitor and printer on top. Then we got our Windows 95 machine with the vertical tower and didn't really have a convenient place to put it :argh:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

kirbysuperstar posted:

Awww maaaaan.

Yeah, he seemed like he was busy with other stuff so i'm hoping he'll eventually be back and let me give money at him again

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Rirse posted:

Yeah the one I have is the third ones, it doesn't have the HD Graphics label, but the ports are the one on top in the picture above.

You have a VA6.5 or VA6.8 mobo, which is basically a member of the second group - it is the same as a TRSS HD Graphics genesis (VA6 revision board) except it lacks the HD Graphics text and is missing the female DB9 EXT port on the back. Both the 6.5 and 6.8 have the same sound Circuit as the VA3-6 boards, though the 6.8 revision could have either a Fujitsu video chip or the original Sony chip used in earlier revisions.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I jumped on this Patreon, and I'm seeing if he'll take donations. My N64 and Saturn dev manuals aren't really doing much just sitting on my shelf. After having a giant pile of dev hardware for GameGear, Saturn, N64, Playstation, and Xbox stolen a few years ago I figured it's a good idea to get this stuff into the hands of someone serious about preservation.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah that thing was pretty cool and we had a two-tiered desk that fit it perfectly: computer on the lower table, monitor and printer on top. Then we got our Windows 95 machine with the vertical tower and didn't really have a convenient place to put it :argh:

I actually own one of those Tandy desks. It's cool. But if you don't it is never a bad thing to rock the desktop PC before they went tower and ruined it all: http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2013/06/retro-computing-why-bother-special-meet.html

Sadly I mostly use my Win 9x rig next to it so I kind of have to turn my head a little to look at the monitor which was something I actually did on the Tandy desk as the 19" tv for Videogames was more directly in front of my face. And the monitor was on top of a VCR I used to watch 80-90s animu on. (Mistakes were made, ok? :negative: )

Nowadays monitors are more at a proper height as they generally accept they won't be on top of a large metal case so you don't need a riser or anything. Honestly though I should probably put Frankenstein away and just install DOSBOX onto the Win 98 rig. Save space and have the monitor a little lower on the desk since I don't feel like dragging an office chair over to it and the folding chair is too low and thus neck craning. (Also said metal chair is mostly a footrest and place all my PS4 games are. Shameful.)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Captain Rufus posted:

Honestly though I should probably put Frankenstein away and just install DOSBOX onto the Win 98 rig.

Why? Doesn't Win 98 have DOS?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

Why? Doesn't Win 98 have DOS?

Playing certain games is way more involved than just having DOS. DOSBOX can emulate various special hardware that a Win 9x machine probably won't have.

You have to remember that there's a whole 17 years of the DOS platform existing before Windows 98 comes out, and that's plenty of time for various hardware features to fall out. Like how CGA looks a lot different when it goes to a composite monitor, and many games relied on that to have "artifact color" based on how the limited palette behaved when you made certain patterns and allowed them to bleed into each other through composite. Or various pre-Sound Blaster standard audio systems, some of which weren't attempted at all by later cards.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 28, 2017

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

fishmech posted:

Playing certain games is way more involved than just having DOS. DOSBOX can emulate various special hardware that a Win 9x machine probably won't have.

You have to remember that there's a whole 17 years of the DOS platform existing before Windows 98 comes out, and that's plenty of time for various hardware features to fall out. Like how CGA looks a lot different when it goes to a composite monitor, and many games relied on that to have "artifact color" based on how the limited palette behaved when you made certain patterns and allowed them to bleed into each other through composite. Or various pre-Sound Blaster standard audio systems, some of which weren't attempted at all by later cards.

Can DOSBOX emulate a Roland MT-32?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

Yeah, he seemed like he was busy with other stuff so i'm hoping he'll eventually be back and let me give money at him again

He should pass his technique along because some of us would love to contribute but don't know the first thing about rom hacking.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Instant Sunrise posted:

Can DOSBOX emulate a Roland MT-32?

Not well, and you need a romdump of the mt32, but yes.

You can also go maximum crazy like I did and get a usb midi adapter and a real mt32. Get the authentic "insert buckazoid" message on the mt32 itself when playing space quest 3.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

fishmech posted:

And don't forget drivers and dedicated bits for various audio and game controllers and the fact a shitload of games have no frame limiters which can make a lot of stuff unplayable. Dos can be a right pain. And most people dont want or need 3 or 4 dos rigs.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I haven't posted in this thread in a long time but I just wanted to share with you all a photo of my new son, I love him very much.

Coincidentally today also marks the day that I've officially let this hobby get out of hand.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Well in that case why use a Win98 machine for DOSbox?

Wouldn't it run like crap on an old computer? Would FreeDOS work better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

fishmech posted:

Most of the stuff people today actually want to play on Dos should probably work on a Windows 98 machine. Putting together one today is half the fun [spoiler]Until you run into problems and all the documentation you can find is 20 year old forums posts that ended with "NM, figured it out" with no other explanation.[spoiler] If you can't make it work you can always run DosBox on another machine.

• Locked thread