Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

infernal machines posted:

I can understand being an old on Twitter and not knowing things, but as an established politician he has coms people. Dig some millennial out of the basement and have them vet this stuff before you put it out in public, because, especially on the conservative side of the spectrum, it's very easy to mistake an "accident" for intentional messaging.

If your millennial vetted this, fire them.

Yeah, that's basically where I fall on this. He really should have had someone on his team who could tell him this was a bad idea.

Presuming he thinks it was a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I eagerly await reconciling misogynistic hate groups with the itemized Canadian values that include gender equality. Wait, no I don't because there's no need, cognitive dissonance is not even a concept for the people involved here.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Entropic posted:

:ssh: No one tell them The Matrix was made by trans women.

It's been kind of cool over the last few years to see the nomenclature go from 'the Wachowski brothers' to 'the Wachowski siblings' to 'the Wachowski sisters'

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Entropic posted:

:ssh: No one tell them The Matrix was made by trans women.

When they inspired an entire generation of loveless nerds to take arms against cultural Marxism, the Illuminati made sure to give them a triple dose of the gay-friggin'-frogs drug.

Probably.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/838936367283462144

So he's claiming it was just a Matrix reference.

Michelle Rempel is coming to his defense.

https://twitter.com/michellerempel/status/838930010698366976
https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/838938114949271552

It was still dumb.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

THC posted:

Conservatives: still trash

I have to wonder what sort of media tools will be there.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What's Tori shitstain rahim jaffer up to these days?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

After being thrown a rope by Michelle Rempel, Mad Max clarifies that his "red pill" comment refers only to the Matrix film and not Reddit basement dwellers.

https://twitter.com/maximebernier/status/838938114949271552

Meanwhile, Wild Rosers are themselves trying to divest themselves from reddit goblins

https://twitter.com/jasonnixonab/status/838933933052030976

Sure, let's just all pretend you were a reasonable party before.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 7, 2017

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
You know you're a poo poo community when even the Wildrose party doesn't want anything to do with you.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Wild Rose on Campus: You and I both know feminism is a cancer...

Yeah, can't imagine why they'd want to disavow that one

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 26, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

And cuck is?

You understand what dog whistling is right?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Oh for gently caress sake.

"Is it possible they just think white hoods are a nice fashion choice?"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

"Is it possible they just think white hoods are a nice fashion choice?"

Yes, it's either they're loving morons who don't know enough to understand what they're saying, or they are doing it intentionally, take your pick.

If you're using twitter and you don't have a spicy memelord on staff to warn you when you're about to invoke MRA hate group memes you're an idiot, if you do and you went ahead with this anyway, you're an idiot.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
pinterest mom please change my name to Spicy Memelord

NO WAIT: Spicy Memeball

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Leofish posted:

Yeah, that's basically where I fall on this. He really should have had someone on his team who could tell him this was a bad idea.

Presuming he thinks it was a bad idea.
"his team" is almost certainly made up of unpaid volunteers culled from campus conservative groups so it was probably someone on his team who created it and was like "yes, this is a great idea"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

JawKnee posted:

pinterest mom please change my name to Spicy Memelord

NO WAIT: Spicy Memeball

Already taken.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

James Baud posted:

If it was part of some dog whistle master plan they wouldn't panic / back down. People are fallible.

Yes, this was the default assumption, they're idiots who need to take more care with their language because the conservatives have been very careless about letting themselves be associated with truly vile ideology.

But yeah, hip references for young voters, that movie that came out 18 years ago, a year after they were born.

THC posted:

"his team" is almost certainly made up of unpaid volunteers culled from campus conservative groups so it was probably someone on his team who created it and was like "yes, this is a great idea"

And in that case you fire them, immediately.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

James Baud posted:

If it was part of some dog whistle master plan they wouldn't panic / back down. People are fallible.

That's exactly what dogwhistlers have always done, before the Age of Trump, when it was found to be more expedient just say say "gently caress yeah, I hate [racial epithet here] and I love to grab pussy!"

EDIT: Also, in this case, mentioning @DFildebrant is suspicious because he's just himself had a minor scandal related to his lovely use of social media and his rear end-backwards views. He almost certainly knew what it "means" even if Bernier didn't.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 7, 2017

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

You need to already know like 5GB of useless information to understand this tiny irrelevant little moment. Especially the part where Rempel (quietly attempting to demolish the party from within) tosses a lifesaver to Bernier (the credible leadership candidate most likely to strain the CPC coalition) while forcing him to disavow reddit chuds on campus (the future of the party)

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 7, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's good to know the future of the Conservative party and Wildrose are willing to wholeheartedly embrace MRA misogyny, if for no other reason than it might upset "the left".

GG guys, way to stand on principle.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

It's good to know the future of the Conservative party and Wildrose are willing to wholeheartedly embrace MRA misogyny, if for no other reason than it might upset "the left".

GG guys, way to stand on principle.

Most conservatives are just as much "precious little snowflakes" as anyone from "the left". Hell, there are some former Tory posters on the forums who cannot defend themselves without feeling 'triggered' by the fact that their arguments don't hold weight.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ah yes, the totally existing status quo of "tax and spend" that is totally real.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

THC posted:

https://twitter.com/theprovince/status/838919346470649860

"An honest error". Why am I having trouble believing that.

Much like the BC Elections probe, it will be quietly buried somewhere safe (actually, they let Michael Smyth write about the probe, but he assured the reader that Rich Coleman personally told him it wasn't a big deal)

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

But yeah, hip references for young voters, that movie that came out 18 years ago, a year after they were born.

This is the moment I realize I am old and politicians are now trying to appeal to me. :smith:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

OSI bean dip posted:

Most conservatives are just as much "precious little snowflakes" as anyone from "the left". Hell, there are some former Tory posters on the forums who cannot defend themselves without feeling 'triggered' by the fact that their arguments don't hold weight.

I think if your politics have devolved to the point where you're willing to espouse the most vile regressive poo poo you can find, simply because it will upset your opponents, you may want to take a step back to reconsider your principles.

Ikantski, take a moment before you make the comparison to Yusra Khogali's Trudeau white supremacist comments.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 7, 2017

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

You may recall that the Wildrose Party was formed in 2008 because some people thought the Conservative government of Alberta wasn't right-wing enough.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/ParkBoard/status/839003032868294657

ha ha ha eat poo poo stoners

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blackluck
Jun 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I just don't want the hassle and even a small chance of something going wrong. There's already enough poo poo that can go wrong if you're travelling; no place in the US is special enough for me to add a whole new thing that could go wrong, or support them financially.

The American people have done a metaphorical wee on the rug, and now their noses must be held in it or else they won't learn.

As an American who lives in a border state (NH) I wholeheartedly endorse this plan.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

But was the park-loving permit still issued? Asking for a friend :ohdear:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

I think if your politics have devolved to the point where you're willing to espouse the most vile regressive poo poo you can find, simply because it will upset your opponents, you may want to take a step back to reconsider your principles.

Ikantski, take a moment before you make the comparison to Yusra Khogali's Trudeau white supremacist comments.

Hey, if that thought crossed your mind, I don't need to make any further comments. I thought The Red Pill in modern MRA context was something like "Don't get married. Especially don't get married and have kids, it's an economic trap" I've heard stuff like that from posters here, it's not that outlandish and maybe even borderline progressive to be rethinking relationships. But it's very far from what you'd expect from the traditional marriage and values party.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Hey, if that thought crossed your mind, I don't need to make any further comments. I thought The Red Pill in modern MRA context was something like "Don't get married. Especially don't get married and have kids, it's an economic trap" I've heard stuff like that from posters here, it's not that outlandish and maybe even borderline progressive to be rethinking relationships. But it's very far from what you'd expect from the traditional marriage and values party.

No, the red pill in modern MRA context is about "realizing how deep the rabbit hole goes", ie realizing how modern society is apparently systematically structured to advantage women and punish men, ie anything a feminist says about the structural oppression of women (and men) in patriarchal society must be wrong.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Postess with the Mostest posted:

This isn't borderline progressive. The way they see 'Traditional marriage' is patriarchal; if you marry a woman you own her and if she leaves you she should no longer be your responsibility even if she sacrificed career to raise your children and you never lifted a finger to help. Or maybe she isn't even allowed to leave you at all because marriage is sacrosanct. Both MRAs and conservative Christians want the benefits of marriage for men without the "downsides" introduced by "cancerous feminism". They may disagree on whether religion should have a role in marriage but both are happy to erode marriage rights and laws introduced to combat patriarchy.

Marriage is not a trap, it is (among other things) a transparent financial agreement and there is plenty of evidence that it benefits both spouses over staying single. It's not a secret that the higher earner may be on the hook if they divorce later. When a woman is the higher earner the man can apply for alimony, and the % of men receiving alimony is on the rise. The only reason more men pay alimony is they tend to earn more and women are far more likely to sacrifice career for family.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
There are a few valid concerns in the MRA movement like custody issues after divorce and the continued adherence to the Duluth model making escaping spousal abuse extremely difficult while simultaneously causing unfair agreements when forced in to divorce arbitration when the marriage ends but that's wrapped up in such a massive ball of hate and contempt for the concept of treating marriage as a partnership rather than an ownership contract that it's really hard to sympathies with them.

The incel movement, on the other hand, is completely without merit and should only ever be pointed and laughed at.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Ehhhh I read probably 5-10 divorce decisions (admittedly only the ones that go to court) every day and in my opinion judges really bend over backwards to ensure that custody is shared as evenly as possible and that children have as much regular contact with both parents as possible.

In fact, it is extremely extremely rare that one parent will be barred from contact with the children, and it's almost always because of sexual or physical abuse.

When this red pill dickheads say 'custody' what they're really complaining about is having to pay child or spousal support.

e: And when I say i read them everyday, I mean everyday for 10+ years now.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
What I'm saying is these MRAs are lovely parents and know it, so they project onto the court system instead of taking responsibility for their kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

No, the red pill in modern MRA context is about "realizing how deep the rabbit hole goes", ie realizing how modern society is apparently systematically structured to advantage women and punish men, ie anything a feminist says about the structural oppression of women (and men) in patriarchal society must be wrong.

Yeah, I was way off, that's a corner of the internet I rarely visit. Thanks.