Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm sure this has been asked but what's the best storage case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm sure this has been asked but what's the best storage case?

Would be interested in hearing opinions as well. I was suckered into buying a pretty basic one, but I don't need or want a particularly big case so I can throw it on top of the stuff in my book bag.

The case is where I would keep my Nintendo Switch

IF I HAD ONE

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The RDS Industries one is good for a hard shell case. It's sold at GameStop and Walmart (and Amazon.)

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Wait I went and actually looked at the case and it not only holds games but also converts into a kickstand, I take it back best case ever

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I was playing Snipperclips with my son (docked TV) and then went back to home screen and put my 2 JCons back in the controller holder thing and everything froze. Like, had to hold down the power button thing in top for like 15 seconds.

That been happening much out in the wild?

[Ed] more musings: my handheld picked up 5ghz just fine like 2 rooms from my modem and router but once I was docked on my tv where it was like 3 feet away, it totally didn't see my 5ghz network. Weird.

Also, tabletop mode, at least for something detail intensive, is way too small for all but the most desperate of situations. (Airplane, etc...)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 7, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

akadajet posted:

Don't apply a screen protector. They are all trash garbage and look like poo poo.

Hi grandpa, how's 2004?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Apply it in a bathroom after the showers run on hot for a little bit. The humid air will keep dust out of the air

I did it!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Are the Joy-Cons supposed to shut off on their own after a certain period of inactivity, or do they just stay powered on until the Switch sleeps? It's been idling for about half an hour and everything is still on.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Housh posted:

I'm looking for a travel case. Anyone have that Hori tough pouch? Wonder how that compares to the RDS one.

I have it and am pleased. I just got off a UK > Sydney trip and it held up well. I really like the flap and the doublezip lets you charge with it stored neatly. The tough pouch fits quite well in a back-of-seat pouch and etihad has power sockets in every seat. Switch isn't pocketable, but it definitely works well as a handheld.

Zelda on the plane was incredible, I can't believe that a game of this quality is handheld with so few compromises. No longer does handheld mean a cut-down streamlined version. The portable version is the console version and I couldn't be happier.
That said, I hope they keep making 2D-ish Zelda titles because they rule too.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Shards of Fate posted:

Have we got a verdict on which power bank, if any, is safe for use with the switch?

There are a couple threads on Reddit addressing this.

This guy is officially testing stuff using tools to measure the output/etc. He's testing several expensive/high end banks and judging their effectiveness.

This thread has anecdotal input from people using weaker, more mainstream devices.

Basically there don't seem to be many that are unsafe to use if you use a reliable USB C cable reviewed by Benson Leung. There also seems to be a surprising amount of success with "weaker" devices in contrast to what was being reported prerelease. If we believe these posters, if your device can put out 5v 2.4A or so you'll probably get at least increased battery life if not a small charge while playing.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 7, 2017

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Less than 2 hours in and I have scratches on both sides of the bezel and I don't give a fuuuuuck hell yea.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Electrical tape those plastic rails, your screen will thank you

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Feenix posted:

So I was playing Snipperclips with my son (docked TV) and then went back to home screen and put my 2 JCons back in the controller holder thing and everything froze. Like, had to hold down the power button thing in top for like 15 seconds.

That been happening much out in the wild?

Slightly different, but mine also locked up after exiting snipper clips and trying to go back to Zelda last night. Maybe a snipper clips issue?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Spellman posted:

Electrical tape those plastic rails, your screen will thank you

lol what an awful design choice

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Feenix posted:

Also, tabletop mode, at least for something detail intensive, is way too small for all but the most desperate of situations. (Airplane, etc...)

You can't even use kickstand mode in 'Flight Mode' because that disables wireless control. It'd be fine on a train or whatever, but unless you're splitscreening you're probably best just picking up the Switch

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

My biggest issue with the cases available right now is that none seem to be able to store an official AC adapter in addition to the console.

The case that came with my Zelda Special Edition is fantastic, but the lack of space for the extra charger I bought is kinda bumming me.

(FYI, looking at the available ones the PDP cases that come in starter kits with molded rubber designs appear to be the same model; See the Link's Tunic and Mario designs.)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

Hi grandpa, how's 2004?

funny, I associate screen protectors with soccer moms and "grandpa"s

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the ac adaptor won't get damaged in your backpack loose like the switch will

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I like and appreciate the game and am looking forward to playing more after just playing for a couple hours. Holy moley, didn't realize this was a Glowing Praise Only zone.

There's a huge technical gap between Zelda: BOTW and Horizon. The latter plays, feels and looks like an excellent, if a tad generic, AAA modern game. The former however is a much more visceral experience to me (sounds weird to say it) because it feels like I'm actually climbing cliffs, hitting things and running around. Everything is so physical. Art design and atmosphere are out of this world too.

I don't have a PS4 yet (about to get it!) but I did play a bit of Zero Dawn at my brother's house and for all the great things you can say about it you can't deny that it's kind of a colder, more calculated affair.

I don't think a game quite like BOTW has ever been released before, and I'm not trying to be hyperbolic. This Zelda is basically the way gamers imagined sandbox in their wet dreams, before sandbox games came out looking generic and procedural as all gently caress, disappointing us all. With few exceptions.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 7, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So wait... put electrical tape... where?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Feenix posted:

So wait... put electrical tape... where?

up ur butt

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sam Faust posted:

up ur butt

Oh noooooo!

Butt seriously. I wasn't being funny... where do I need to protect? Electrical tape sounds maybe ok?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Feenix posted:

Oh noooooo!

Butt seriously. I wasn't being funny... where do I need to protect? Electrical tape sounds maybe ok?

The rails that jut out, those make contact with the screen.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Feenix posted:

Oh noooooo!

It's black like the switch so you don't even see it, and electrical tape is like the exact perfect size to cover those things. From there, as long as you're not cramming it in there with the force of a Super Nintendo game, it should be fine

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Kawabata posted:

I don't have a PS4 yet (about to get it!) but I did play a bit of Zero Dawn at my brother's house and for all the great things you can say about it you can't deny that it's kind of a colder, more calculated affair.

I can absolutely deny that, but I can see why you would think that way after a brief exposure. I didn't like the first act myself, but by the end I was considering it a revolutionary game in the same class as Witcher 3, and that doesn't seem to be a rare opinion by people who actually play it.

Zelda has made a much better first impression and I'm looking forward to seeing why it got even better reviews.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I can absolutely deny that, but I can see why you would think that way after a brief exposure. I didn't like the first act myself, but by the end I was considering it a revolutionary game in the same class as Witcher 3, and that doesn't seem to be a rare opinion by people who actually play it.

Zelda has made a much better first impression and I'm looking forward to seeing why it got even better reviews.

Oh so they stop playing it safe the way they do in the first hours then? It's good news.

Not that there's anything "terrible" about the part I did anyway, it certainly did convince me to buy the game but it felt like the AAA release blandness we kinda got used to.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

akadajet posted:

funny, I associate screen protectors with soccer moms and "grandpa"s

Like I said, 2004.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Spellman posted:

It's black like the switch so you don't even see it, and electrical tape is like the exact perfect size to cover those things. From there, as long as you're not cramming it in there with the force of a Super Nintendo game, it should be fine

I open palm slam my Switch into the dock and I'm right there shooting Cuccos with a bow

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

well why not posted:

I have it and am pleased. I just got off a UK > Sydney trip and it held up well. I really like the flap and the doublezip lets you charge with it stored neatly. The tough pouch fits quite well in a back-of-seat pouch and etihad has power sockets in every seat. Switch isn't pocketable, but it definitely works well as a handheld.

Zelda on the plane was incredible, I can't believe that a game of this quality is handheld with so few compromises. No longer does handheld mean a cut-down streamlined version. The portable version is the console version and I couldn't be happier.
That said, I hope they keep making 2D-ish Zelda titles because they rule too.

Great news! This is just what I wanted to hear. I love that the system is a full portable too. Last night I felt the game changing epiphany playing Zelda handheld. Even getting a gimped version of multiplatform games would make me consider Switch over the PS4 (depending on the game) because of the portability factor.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Should I be doing something different? I feel like my switch (docked) isn't picking up on the fact that I'm switching orientations on my Joycons.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

How do you rearrange the icons on your home screen?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

well why not posted:

You can't even use kickstand mode in 'Flight Mode' because that disables wireless control. It'd be fine on a train or whatever, but unless you're splitscreening you're probably best just picking up the Switch

Airplane mode is just for when the plane it taking off and landing. You can turn your bluetooth and wifi back on once the plane is flying.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Are we exchanging friend codes yet?

SW-0521-6048-6137

Add me goons!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Why is Dragon Quest Heroes so horrible in handheld mode?

It's the complete opposite of Zelda. Docked it's relatively fine with a few frame dips here and there, handheld it's slow unplayable garbage. Try it for yourself, there's a free demo on the japanese eshop.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

well why not posted:

Right under airplane settings you can turn the wifi or Bluetooth back on individually.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Kawabata posted:

Oh so they stop playing it safe the way they do in the first hours then? It's good news.

Yeah the beginning is totally misleading, it's a much more epic, intelligent story with a great, emotional ending.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I charged my Switch to around 80% this morning using the USB C charger from my Pixel phone. I am traveling and did not leave the switch on its dock (because the dock isn't here).

When I next looked at my Switch around 5pm, the battery was completely depleted.

I would have sworn I put it in sleep mode. It just sat on a shelf all day. Anyone have something similar happen?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Why is Dragon Quest Heroes so horrible in handheld mode?

It's the complete opposite of Zelda. Docked it's relatively fine with a few frame dips here and there, handheld it's slow unplayable garbage. Try it for yourself, there's a free demo on the japanese eshop.

It's the same resolution and effects settings on both docked and handheld mode.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Healbot posted:

It's the same resolution and effects settings on both docked and handheld mode.

Hah, that doesn't set a good precedent. Sounds like they ported the game with docked mode (I.e. full clock speed) in mind and didn't care how it ran in portable mode. I hope that doesn't become a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Some further first impressions of the Switch /Zelda.

Maybe it's my bigger hands, but even in JoyCon controller mode,(where they link up in the controller holder) the analog sticks and whatnot are so small and lacking in nuance, that precise, small movements (in order, to say, not take 2 steps off a small rock outcropping and fall half a mile down a cliff...) or good camera movement do not seem possible. Maybe I'll get used to it, but I'm actually a little surprised how much praise Zelda got given how awkward the controls are. Using the Arrow while trying to crimp down on the R trigger and rotate the tiny little stick with my thumb is just awkward as heck.

I am liking the overall feel of the game. I am not liking the lack of a combat roll or how low the LoD is when you're looking out on Vistas. (Thanks for spoiling me, Horizon Zero Dawn!)

With zero physical obstruction... my blue joycon stopped responding and/or continued registering input on a delay (so Link ran off another cliff, Woohoo!)

Could be my 2.4ghz Wifi given as I mentioned before, the 5Ghz network actually went away when I was in the same room as my Router. Maybe it's better / lacking issues on the 5Ghz band...

[edit] Pre-Apologies. Totally not trying to come in here and talk poo poo. Just finding it really awkward to control Zelda with what you're given. The movement in that game is actually really unforgiving. The control method (I need a Pro Controller, I think) is not tolerant of unforgiving controls...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 7, 2017

• Locked thread