Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Three weeks ago my tail lights stopped working due to some unknown electrical fault. Broken wire? Corroded connector? The curse of an evil wizard? I have no idea. I had to buy a AAA-powered bicycle light because I couldn't find the fault or apply a safe hotfix in a reasonable amount of time.

Today the loving things started working again. God alone knows why. The only thing I can think that I've done is yank on the cable coming out of the ignition switch, suggesting the fault was a corroded connector pin (the same issue that killed my indicators last year) that's been jostled back to life.

I'm mad that I don't know though. This kind of magic bullshit is exactly why I don't want a car, because faults like this would be even more impossible to isolate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I feel like I'm falling out of love with biking - used to be I'd spend every Sunday semi-lost somewhere in the wilderness beyond the M25, just for the sheer joy of being out on a bike.

Being stuck in a car for a few months will fix this right up.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Three weeks ago my tail lights stopped working due to some unknown electrical fault. Broken wire? Corroded connector? The curse of an evil wizard? I have no idea. I had to buy a AAA-powered bicycle light because I couldn't find the fault or apply a safe hotfix in a reasonable amount of time.

Today the loving things started working again. God alone knows why. The only thing I can think that I've done is yank on the cable coming out of the ignition switch, suggesting the fault was a corroded connector pin (the same issue that killed my indicators last year) that's been jostled back to life.

I'm mad that I don't know though. This kind of magic bullshit is exactly why I don't want a car, because faults like this would be even more impossible to isolate.

Car electrics are generally less baffling than bike electrics, because they're mostly kept in a nice warm dry engine bay rather than having road poo poo thrown at them. I'm also going to reiterate my only real piece of wisdom on sparks - check the negative path. People always forget the return path and it tends to be the source of all kinds of bizarre intermittent faults.

(As evidence for this, I spent a chunk of this morning trying to work out why my living room lights weren't coming on - stopped, had a think, remembered I'd changed a fitting in the hallway, checked it and sure enough the neutral wire had come loose in the rose.)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Definitely wasn't that this time as the negative lead for the tail lights is shared with the brake lights, and those were (are) still working.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

PaintVagrant posted:

I sold my ninja 300 ABS for $3700 firm. Said straightup I wasnt haggling at all, come and buy the damned thing. After about a week of a few tire kickers, a dude showed up and bought it at that price.

Annoyingly I cant sell my immaculate 300 ABS in white with cowl, yoshi fender delete, and brand new tires for 3000. I have listed it a few times now and nobody even contacts me about it. I am just keeping it at this point.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

revmoo posted:

Annoyingly I cant sell my immaculate 300 ABS in white with cowl, yoshi fender delete, and brand new tires for 3000. I have listed it a few times now and nobody even contacts me about it. I am just keeping it at this point.

Sheeyit. Where do you live?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

revmoo posted:

Like he said, where?

revmoo posted:

The drivers in this city have my braking at an extremely high level of performance. I can threshold brake with howling tires all the way to 0 every single time without hitting ABS.

So uhhh, thanks Louisville! Great driver's training program you have here :)
Ah. Welp.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 6, 2017

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I guess I'm going to rant about myself here. Went shopping yesterday and at some point parked up outside a Poundland and the sheer loving ridiculousness of the situation - my little red bit of Italian semi-exotica parked up outside the shittest, cheapest shop in Christendom - struck me. First as funny, then as utterly tragic when I realised this was the first time this year the bike had been outside the rut I've worn from my house to my office. Yeah sure it's winter, but it's not like I was the road warrior last summer.

I've had this bike for just under a year and apart from an occasional shopping run and one basically abortive stroll around Essex, it's been used purely for commuting. What a loving waste - not of my money (it'd only have gone on hookers, blow, and Steam sales otherwise) but of the potential of the bike. I've got some hella extenuating circumstances that I won't bum you all out by going into, but it's still shameful that the bike's barely seen fourth gear since I bought it. I'm sure the chicken strips are growing back.

I feel like I'm falling out of love with biking - used to be I'd spend every Sunday semi-lost somewhere in the wilderness beyond the M25, just for the sheer joy of being out on a bike. I'd take an hour getting home because I'd do an impromptu lap of central London just because the worst minute of grinding traffic was better than the best hour of sitting around at home. Know what I did last weekend, in the first semi-decent weather of the new year? Hired a car and went to loving Ikea. Never even occurred to me until I got home that I could have done... well literally anything else than that. Used to be the fact I couldn't use it to go to Ikea was what I most loved about owning a bike.

Maybe I'm getting old. Past 40 now, and coming up on half the days of my life have been on a bike. Maybe going to Ikea is my mid-life crisis? People shopping in Ikea normally buy a motorbike when they go halflifeplus (it's notable the nearest shop to the Ikea in Thurrock is a massive loving Harley dealership), so it make sense that it works the other way. Oh god.

I think I'm going to make a belated New Years resolution. My sister's boyfriend bought me a "Great Biking Roads" book for Christmas - I sort of assumed it was a joke at first because the front cover had the kind of Sam-Browne-wearing BMW-ista that we both like to take the piss out of, but I suspect he actually knows what's up with me maybe better than I do. This year I'm going to do as many of these roads as I can, and at least one of them somewhere I've never been before. Maybe there'll be an Ikea at the end of one of them...

:11tea::respek:

At least you still live where there's roads worth riding and traffic you can get around to get to them. I'm seriously thinking of trading my versys for a grom, because I'm far more likely to use a bike like that to at least boot around the city getting a coffee, than keep a bigger bike on the off chance I fancy spending an hour or two on the highway to get to the one road with a curve and some scenery. I don't even commute on mine because of my hours and the absolutely awful commute I have. I'd move closer to work if the center of suck wasn't directly positioned over my office.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

ilkhan posted:

Like he said, where?

Ah. Welp.

Yep anyone near Louisville is welcome to come nab this 300 for 3k.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I feel like I'm falling out of love with biking -
I've had people give me poo poo for not commuting on my bikes very often. One reason I don't is that commuting is loving boring and it'll make your bike boring. Maybe that's happening to you. Save the bike for fun trips.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I've had people give me poo poo for not commuting on my bikes very often. One reason I don't is that commuting is loving boring and it'll make your bike boring. Maybe that's happening to you. Save the bike for fun trips.

dirtbike argument

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

My favorite thing about commuting: dumb fuckers that cut across 3 lanes on the freeway into my lane and then lay into the brakes for no reason whatsoever, making me brake from 75mph to 20 nearly rear-ending them. Thank gently caress no one was behind me at that moment. I hate people. Not even a sorry wave. :mad:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Counter argument: get an s1000xr that is rad for commuting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Commuting you can go one of two ways. Either powerplay the poo poo out of it and get something super comfy, fast et al like

Z3n posted:

Counter argument: get an s1000xr that is rad for commuting.

Or you can get something desperately slow but incredibly nimble and turn every commute into an excitement-packed IRL video-game.

Half measures between these extremes are what get you tired and over it and wanting a car.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
City commute? The SMC was awesome. Highway commute? I loved my FJR. They didn't meet in the middle particularly well - you can do both on either but the SMC wasn't a rocket couch on the slab, and the FJR wasn't going to jump curbs and make detours over railroad tracks very well.

There's a WR250X that's been all adventured up on CL near me that might kinda make a happy medium, but holy Christ it is ugly as gently caress.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would die a happy man if I had the chance to own something like that. It looks perfect for every road I could conceivably ride in one day from my house.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Unfortunately the perfect bike for my commute is a scooter, and I'd rather loving walk.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Unfortunately the perfect bike for my commute is a scooter, and I'd rather loving walk.

Get yourself a classic and scoot in style

About as maneuverable as a bicycle, about as fast as a scooter, cooler than either

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

City commute? The SMC was awesome. Highway commute? I loved my FJR. They didn't meet in the middle particularly well - you can do both on either but the SMC wasn't a rocket couch on the slab, and the FJR wasn't going to jump curbs and make detours over railroad tracks very well.

There's a WR250X that's been all adventured up on CL near me that might kinda make a happy medium, but holy Christ it is ugly as gently caress.

Rocketcouch-curbjumper.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Slavvy posted:

I would die a happy man if I had the chance to own something like that. It looks perfect for every road I could conceivably ride in one day from my house.

:dance:

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Am I the only one who loves commuting on a bike? Best start and end to a day at work. Then again, not everyone has the chance to ride down the Old Pac Highway to work and back.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Barnsy posted:

Am I the only one who loves commuting on a bike? Best start and end to a day at work. Then again, not everyone has the chance to ride down the Old Pac Highway to work and back.

Getting to skip Bay Area traffic is amazing.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Commuting with a powerful bike sucks from the standpoint that you're usually sitting in traffic behind some shithead playing with their phone, and you're only capable of using 0.001% of your bike's potential.

My commute right now allows me to take the three back roads in this city that aren't constant cluster-fucks and it makes the commute fun and easy, but if I ever have to take the highway I'll be buying a cheap electric car and being done with it, because haha gently caress you if you think you'll ever go faster than 35 around here. :sigh:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Barnsy posted:

Then again, not everyone has the chance to ride down the Old Pac Highway to work and back.

Yeah mate, bit of an unfair advantage to you there.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
just paid for an attorney retainer... don't get caught speeding kids :smithicide:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ripoff posted:

Commuting with a powerful bike sucks from the standpoint that you're usually sitting in traffic behind some shithead playing with their phone, and you're only capable of using 0.001% of your bike's potential.

My commute right now allows me to take the three back roads in this city that aren't constant cluster-fucks and it makes the commute fun and easy, but if I ever have to take the highway I'll be buying a cheap electric car and being done with it, because haha gently caress you if you think you'll ever go faster than 35 around here. :sigh:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5wBTdfAkqGU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ripoff posted:

I am unfamiliar with this "sitting in traffic" thing you speak of, surely you mean "filtering past traffic"?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

just paid for an attorney retainer... don't get caught speeding kids :smithicide:

:( I'm sorry, man. How fast were you clocked at, again?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I dream of a commute that would allow me to justify a grom. You have one, so get a grom.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I am unfamiliar with this "sitting in traffic" thing you speak of, surely you mean "filtering past traffic"?

I don't even filter that much any more. It's too dangerous on our highways, and there is too much debris on the ground.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You have no idea how envious I am of Californians/other countries and your amazing laws (or lack thereof if I recall correctly). If the US would adopt splitting as a whole country, I could die happy.

PA went through the whole helmet law repeal years ago and yet didn't bother to add splitting to the list. What a waste.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Coydog posted:

:( I'm sorry, man. How fast were you clocked at, again?

I dream of a commute that would allow me to justify a grom. You have one, so get a grom.

I don't even filter that much any more. It's too dangerous on our highways, and there is too much debris on the ground.

77/45 on peachtree industrial... no one was around, was trying to get errands done before flyin out for vacation

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Now that is a bad break. Peachtree Industrial cops are always out for blood. That's super-speeder, too. :( :ohdear:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Is that "say goodbye to your license" territory in GA? Anything 30 and over in Ohio is 6 points and you'll probably get slapped with a misdemeanor for reckless op

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Jazzzzz posted:

Is that "say goodbye to your license" territory in GA? Anything 30 and over in Ohio is 6 points and you'll probably get slapped with a misdemeanor for reckless op

AFAIK GA charges you an extra $200 fee on top of the standard fine that, if not paid, will result in your license being suspended. Otherwise it's the normal points stuff.

Funny enough, super-speeder kicks in when going 85+ on highways too which is laughable to anyone who's been on I-75 or 85 against traffic. I do 80 on those highways and get passed like I'm sitting still.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

A Grom would actually be a pretty lovely commuter bike in London - too low, too cramped, and still pretty wide. Any random scooter would loving blitz it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I truly don't get Groms

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Ripoff posted:

AFAIK GA charges you an extra $200 fee on top of the standard fine that, if not paid, will result in your license being suspended. Otherwise it's the normal points stuff.

Funny enough, super-speeder kicks in when going 85+ on highways too which is laughable to anyone who's been on I-75 or 85 against traffic. I do 80 on those highways and get passed like I'm sitting still.

I remember driving from Athens to somewhere on the west side of Atlanta 15-odd years ago, doing 85 two lanes over from the HOV lane and getting my doors blown off by a minivan with 3 kids in the back. I guess mommy had somewhere to be and she wasn't loving around

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
91/55 in Michigan got me $240, zero leniency, and a snarky attitude about racing on the highway. Not that I should excuse riding like a lunatic but still.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Revvik posted:

91/55 in Michigan got me $240, zero leniency, and a snarky attitude about racing on the highway. Not that I should excuse riding like a lunatic but still.

drat dude you got off easy, 92/55 3 years ago in a car got me a nice 1000 dollar fine with 0 priors or accidents on record

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

77/45 on peachtree industrial... no one was around, was trying to get errands done before flyin out for vacation

I got 80 in a 65 last year. :jerkbag: There is a reason 101 is the worst highway in the country. gently caress the CHP.