Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I think CB would probably get a short arc, a few episodes to half a season, maybe.

AG was the first one of the series I read, because I didn't notice a big 3 on the spine, and I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What will happen with Havelock in the show? Will he be brought into the Abaddon’s Gate plot or even Caliban’s War?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Platystemon posted:

What will happen with Havelock in the show? Will he be brought into the Abaddon’s Gate plot or even Caliban’s War?

Well, as the executive producer of the show I can tell you that

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ITT: no speculation allowed

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Platystemon posted:

ITT: no speculation allowed

ITT: Grown man butthurt by joke.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ITT: Jokes?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Jokes are corrosive to morale, and nothing can undercut the grand project of the Free Navy beratnas.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'm really happy to hear Jefferson Mays is re-recording Cibola Burn. I refunded it on Audible after about two chapters and bought the e-book, Erik Davies sounds like a loving robot.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 7, 2017

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I suspect that for Cibola Burn they will swap out Anna for Avasralla maybe and have Bobbie on a Martian ship. I also suspect Dawes and Drummer to play roles on the Behemoth.

Does anyone have any guesses based on episode titles how far along season two is going to get? It would be such a shame not to end on the gate rising up out of Venus and, frankly, any other finale point I can think of would feel kind of rubbish.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

PriorMarcus posted:

Does anyone have any guesses based on episode titles how far along season two is going to get? It would be such a shame not to end on the gate rising up out of Venus and, frankly, any other finale point I can think of would feel kind of rubbish.

Leviathan Wakes the episode featured the escape from Eros as the protomolecule took over. My original guess was that Caliban's War the episode was going to be the protomolecule monster on the Rocinante as a cliff hanger, but I'm not sure if that's reinforced or weakened by the preceding episode being titled "The Monster and the Rocket." Maybe that one is the killing of the monster on the Rocinante, Caliban's War is the invasion of Io and closing out the book, epilogue/cliffhanger is the gate launching from Venus.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

If the Caliban's War season doesn't end on...

Holden, alone in his room.

Camera pans out, slowly, dramatic sting builds as a blue firefly flitters onto screen. Dramatic sting crescendo as a stupid old hat and figure is silhouetted just out of frame...

MILLER:
We need to talk.

Smash cut to black. Roll credits.

...I'm going to be pissed.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Milky Moor posted:

If the Caliban's War season doesn't end on...

Holden, alone in his room.

Camera pans out, slowly, dramatic sting builds as a blue firefly flitters onto screen. Dramatic sting crescendo as a stupid old hat and figure is silhouetted just out of frame...

MILLER:
We need to talk.

Smash cut to black. Roll credits.

...I'm going to be pissed.

Yeah, that's what'll happen. Penultimate will be monster on the ship, last will be invasion of Io and Bobbie victorious, last 5 minutes will be Venus to the ring, last 10 seconds that.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I expect the ghost of Miller will be a lot more fleshed out than in the books. Probably much more of an exposition device and possible comic relief.

Is it revealed later that UN and Mars attacked each other in orbit because Mao was playing them off against each other, and it was a bidding war for the tech? With Admiral Ng being the more trigger happy

Do I really need to spoiler that?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've only watched 7 episodes of the TV show, while I've read all the books, and I'd say the show is a better show than the books are books, if that makes any sense.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Some fine speaching from Jared Harris here (taken from episode 8): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFuigZexdyY

Dawes was far less assertive in the books, so I am thinking he maybe a Marco equivalent, or replacement. He surely has more character, charisma, purpose, personality, yeah you name it. Marco was a poo poo antagonist. If Diago is his son, as he hinted, then you could even remove Naomi's relation to the two and we wouldn't have the egregious coincidence of NG.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Collateral posted:

Dawes was far less assertive in the books, so I am thinking he maybe a Marco equivalent, or replacement. He surely has more character, charisma, purpose, personality, yeah you name it. Marco was a poo poo antagonist. If Diago is his son, as he hinted, then you could even remove Naomi's relation to the two and we wouldn't have the egregious coincidence of NG.

Fred mentions the Inaros faction in his opening speech, tho.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Marco was a really bad character so anything that gets him less screen time and a smaller role in the plot is a good change.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I bet the show is gonna change Marco to fit its needs the same way every character has been altered. Shoehorning most of Marco's story into Dawes' character doesn't make sense to me, I see their characters as very different thematically. Dawes is a revolutionary politician while Marco is the raging Belter id manifest in the form of a charismatic warlord.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

Marco was a really bad character so anything that gets him less screen time and a smaller role in the plot is a good change.

My favorite Marco moment was his Nelson Maneuver when he reaches over and slams the controls and then it cuts to after the battle and he's won and by "favorite" I mean gently caress do I hate Marco's character and holy poo poo should they have done something else than introduce him

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah he's a very hate-able character, but in TYOOL 2016 America elected Donald J. Trump to its most powerful political office. Is the idea of an over the top scumbag whose primary defining characteristics are "good at saying things that sound good to his target audience" and "willing to break every norm in the system in service of his own personal ambition and grudges" that far fetched?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Marco needs a Mike Pence.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, Marco's a loathsome character, but is he a bad one? I mean maybe, in that his scenes were often more frustrating than interesting, but I felt his general incompetence and success despite having only mediocre skill kind of worked. It underscored how fragile humanity is. One angry fucker with some modest technology can kill billions. The fact that it didn't require a unique genius, or even basic competency in a bunch of areas, was kind of the point. Once he hit Earth, he would get a following of people who were awed by the act. You'd expect that to fall apart when they figure out who he really is and well, that's what happened.

Also, from the TV thread:

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Bobby is going to Earth to give BS testimony at a peace conference. I wonder who we know on Earth who might attend a peace conference, is totally zen, and famously falls for transparent BS.
Why would you post this? I mean, it's an easy connection to make if you think about it, but why not let show watchers make that connection on their own?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Eiba posted:

Also, from the TV thread:

Why would you post this? I mean, it's an easy connection to make if you think about it, but why not let show watchers make that connection on their own?

Punishment for pages of awful angsting about Bobby's characterization. Bad posting earns terrible posting.

And because Marco did nothing wrong. :colbert:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Man, I hope we get to Cibola Burn in the show if only to have alien insect robot Miller.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I really need to start re(listening) to the books because it sure feels like the series is taking quite a bit of "liberties" now (not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, the TV show has done some good changes). Or am I missremembering things?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Dessel posted:

I really need to start re(listening) to the books because it sure feels like the series is taking quite a bit of "liberties" now (not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, the TV show has done some good changes). Or am I missremembering things?

No, the show is significantly different. Wait a couple weeks on the books, though; Cibola Burn is getting re-released with Jefferson Mays narrating sometime next month.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just realized that the Black Keys song in episode 1 was being sung In belter creole. That's cool

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

With how the show is handling Bobbie's plot, they're implying a level of Martian complicity in the PM plot far more directly than the books ever did at the same point in the narrative. Makes me wonder if we'll see Duerte in the show far sooner than in the books.

I also really want a clean track of that Belter Creole version of the Black Keys.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

But really, rewatch the scenes where Naomi and Holden confront Prax, there's some good stuff in there.
So what do you do about someone who's reaction to being told not to be an rear end in a top hat is to conspicuously prance about being an rear end in a top hat?

Like, we get it dude. You can elicit a reaction, piss people off, all that. You indeed have that power. What would it take for you to maybe not do that?

The show is doing a nice job laying the groundwork for future twists, (better than the books for obvious reasons), but if people don't figure it out on their own what's the point of posting about it?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Eiba posted:

The show is doing a nice job laying the groundwork for future twists, (better than the books for obvious reasons), but if people don't figure it out on their own what's the point of posting about it?

Either we're cooperative adults seeking truth and understanding together, or are we're a mixture of adults and feces-smearing toddlers with a shared interest in the much longer term welfare of the toddlers, although only one party may have the wit to look beyond their poo poo-encrusted nose. In neither scenario do the adults of good will stand silent, whatever the other party's capacity to understand their actions.

I'm spanking you and making you take a bath for your own good. It's the right thing to do, even if you never thank me for it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Either we're cooperative adults seeking truth and understanding together, or are we're a mixture of adults and feces-smearing toddlers with a shared interest in the much longer term welfare of the toddlers, although only one party may have the wit to look beyond their poo poo-encrusted nose. In neither scenario do the adults of good will stand silent, whatever the other party's capacity to understand their actions.

I'm spanking you and making you take a bath for your own good. It's the right thing to do, even if you never thank me for it.

What?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Forced baths are *shudders, cum falls out pant leg* very much my poo poo.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost
Hey everyone, hopefully this hasn't been asked before, but I did not want to read the thread after reading in the OP that it contained spoilers up to a certain point in the books. I've watched the TV series up to the current episode today, S02E09. Where approximately is the TV show currently in the book universe? Like which book or part? I'm considering starting The Expanse after I finish reading my current non-fiction I'm reading, and I'm just trying to gauge how far behind I am. I guess I'm just assuming that some of you who read the books are also actively watching the TV show.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

MarksMan posted:

Hey everyone, hopefully this hasn't been asked before, but I did not want to read the thread after reading in the OP that it contained spoilers up to a certain point in the books. I've watched the TV series up to the current episode today, S02E09. Where approximately is the TV show currently in the book universe? Like which book or part? I'm considering starting The Expanse after I finish reading my current non-fiction I'm reading, and I'm just trying to gauge how far behind I am. I guess I'm just assuming that some of you who read the books are also actively watching the TV show.

The show's various plot threads have reached different points in book two, often with significant modification.

The books are a quick read; you can catch up to the show in no time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Prax’s chapters were the best.

Spoiled for MarksMan:

At this point, in the show, it is unlikely Prax will wander the ice halls, eating the house plants and asking discreetly for girls of Mei’s description in the seedier brothels. :stonk:.

The gang knows that Mei is in the hands of certified bad guy Strickland and now they just have to track him to his volcano moon base. I don’t like that change.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

No Amos demonstrating the benefits of canned chicken to someone? :ohdear:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Platystemon posted:

Prax’s chapters were the best.

Spoiled for MarksMan:

At this point, in the show, it is unlikely Prax will wander the ice halls, eating the house plants and asking discreetly for girls of Mei’s description in the seedier brothels. :stonk:.

The gang knows that Mei is in the hands of certified bad guy Strickland and now they just have to track him to his volcano moon base. I don’t like that change.

Agreed. Prax is one of the more distinct voices in the books, and it's a shame how much they're condensing his story so far.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Spoilered for Nemesis Games:

When Alex and Bobbie are fleeing the Free Navy in the Razorback, Alex says, "You can't take the Razorback. She is gone and gone and gone." Julie/Eros saying the exact same thing is what finally keyed Miller into the fact that she was still alive in some form. I'm wondering if this means that the last bit of protomolecule is still active and maybe has some sort of intelligence. The last Investigator POV also seemed as if Miller was overriding the protomolecule programming, but then he/it ended? Honestly that whole bit with the underground genocidal black hole left me more confused than anything, I just thought that line was interesting and probably more than coincidental.

I think LW definitely set a standard that the rest of the series hasn't quite reached, but I'm enjoying the series enough that I'm not going to enjoy the wait for the next book.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 24, 2017

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So!

What ever happened to the two battleships Fred Johnson was building at Tycho?

I think it's in nemesis games they're mentioned as being "months" from completion.

Also the end of cibola burns. What happened? I could not follow that. Alien warp gate invisible to Miller somehow did something to kill the planet? Miller throws stuff into it until it chokes? Help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Affi posted:

Also the end of cibola burns. What happened? I could not follow that. Alien warp gate invisible to Miller somehow did something to kill the planet? Miller throws stuff into it until it chokes? Help.
The alien black hole/bullet fragment thing killed any protomolecule-builder technology that came into contact with it. Miller wired himself into the entire planet's network and then moved into it, killing himself and everything connected to him.