Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

It's set 600 years before TOS, and covers Cortez's conquest of the Aztecs.

Aztrek?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

MisterBibs posted:

I imagine one of the issues with setting Discovery post-DS9 is that, as we've discussed off and on a lot of times, DS9 is the black sheep of the family with your broad potential audience. The last thing you'd want to do is base a new series, when you're trying to revive a tv franchise that the audience for needs expanding, anywhere close to the series that they don't remember and/or the one they didn't watch because it was expressly Not Your Daddy's Trek.

DS9 got more viewers than Voyager.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

DS9 got more viewers than Voyager.

It's odd that that this, combined with the fact that out of the many many nerds I know only a single one preferred voyager and even then admits he doesn't know why and "I don't know the gay community really liked Voyager for some reason" , that some how Voyager has this reputation as the popular mainstream one and DS9 was some failed black sheep.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

skooma512 posted:

Re: Chief O'brien chat.

Are these ever funny? It seems like the joke is only ever "everyone shits on O'Brien" which seems to be a narrative the creator of the comic created himself. The universe at large shits on O'Brien, but his co-workers don't.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I feel like Voyager's left a bigger impact on pop culture than DS9 has, even if its first-run ratings weren't as good.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

MillennialVulcan posted:

Eventually the prequels will go back so far we'll be at Earth Trek.

I have a great idea about a Star Trek prequel that instead of being "Wagon Train to the Stars", it's "Wagon Train".

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Voyager was a network flagship show, so even if people weren't watching it, UPN made sure that people knew about it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

"I don't know the gay community really liked Voyager for some reason"

That reason is Kate Mulgrew from what I gather

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Are these ever funny? It seems like the joke is only ever "everyone shits on O'Brien"

Congrats, you've figured it out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

WampaLord posted:

Congrats, you've figured it out.

Ok, so is it ever funny?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cojawfee posted:

Ok, so is it ever funny?

Maybe 1 in 10.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I just rediscovered this beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhy7JCOVqys

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maybe 1 in 10.

We call that the Dennis Miller ratio.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Orv posted:

Rascals is about as inoffensive as Bad Star Trek gets. Sure it's dumb, but whatever, it's got some good moments.

Rascals
is terrible but damned if I don't love this little scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5EaoSA02LM

Orv
May 4, 2011
As good as all of that is, for some reason the part that gets me is his sad little nod.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cojawfee posted:

Ok, so is it ever funny?

I really wanted it to be. Followed in on my RSS feed for a while... but no, it's not funny after this first time you see it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baronjutter posted:

It's odd that that this, combined with the fact that out of the many many nerds I know only a single one preferred voyager and even then admits he doesn't know why and "I don't know the gay community really liked Voyager for some reason" , that some how Voyager has this reputation as the popular mainstream one and DS9 was some failed black sheep.
Failed BLACK sheep, huh?

I actually wonder if the episodes that dealt pretty directly with black issues dinged people's appraisal of DS9.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Are these ever funny? It seems like the joke is only ever "everyone shits on O'Brien" which seems to be a narrative the creator of the comic created himself. The universe at large shits on O'Brien, but his co-workers don't.

It's kinda evolved into that, but initially the joke was "For five years O'Brien's job was to stand in a transporter room and once every few weeks he'd push a button if they didn't do it from the bridge"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If it's on the CW, a thirty year old who plays a teenage character.

This would be perfect, because of course a Eugenics Wars Star Trek prequel series on the CW would move the date of the Eugenics Wars from the 90s to the 2020s for no reason other than "Well originally the old series had the Eugenics Wars in the 90s, but we wanted to set it in the present day to be compelling to our current audience and have it address contemporary issues, and," :downs:

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I have a great idea about a Star Trek prequel that instead of being "Wagon Train to the Stars", it's "Wagon Train".

I now want to see a Western series done like Star Trek, where they visit a village of the week every episode with crazy prospecters, mad preachers, regular antagonist Indians, and they have to tech the tech with 19th century technology. "Major, we're getting heavy arrow fire!" "Dammit Lieutenant, increase canvas shields! Reroute the rawhide!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Astroman posted:

regular antagonist Indians,

"Those are Indians?"

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Nessus posted:

Failed BLACK sheep, huh?

I actually wonder if the episodes that dealt pretty directly with black issues dinged people's appraisal of DS9.

I dunno, there weren't that many and they were later on in the series.

I think the thing that turned people off from DS9 was the fact that the show was different and was more about story arcs than standalone episodes, which was still rare in the 90's because things like Netflix didn't exist yet. That, and it was hard to catch on TV. Voyager was on UPN all the time, but you'd almost never see DS9 on the air. DS9 was both a little ahead of a time and also something you could never make today.

I think a lot of people didn't realize just how great DS9 was until after it was off the air. I'm certainly in that group. People didn't really realize that TOS was great either until after it had been cancelled, too.

I think Voyager is a little bit more in the public consciousness because it was advertised and aired non-stop on UPN, and it was very safe, didn't challenge the viewers and required almost no investment to follow. It was like 7 more seasons of TNG, only very mediocre.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Just watched ENT's "Singularity," wherein the crew become obsessed with their own little pet projects: Archer with a speech about his dad, Hoshi with a family recipe, Reed with tactical protocols... and Trip with engineering the perfect chair. That was my favorite part, that and how everyone gets to resolve their thing except for Archer, because radiation or no, he sucks at speechwriting.

Also, Phlox got real spooky when he lost his mind. That was pretty good.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

"Those are Indians?"
"We do not discuss it with outsiders"
/

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Almost two months after beginning production, Discovery has finally cast its captain.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

Almost two months after beginning production, Discovery has finally cast its captain.
Ok they have my attention

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Timby posted:

I wonder if with a prominent actor like that, if they'll be able to stick to the "Captain is just a background character" schtick they were reportedly going for. Although maybe that has been changed by now, considering the development hell this show has been stuck in.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
He's gonna die

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

skasion posted:

He's gonna die

For sure, but probably not until midseason or the finale

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I figured by the end of the pilot episode.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Haha an actor known for playing murderers, rapists, and murderous rapists. They probably are planning to kill him off right away.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
New thinkpiece: "How Star Trek: Discovery Legitimizes Rape Culture"

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

New thinkpiece: "How Star Trek: Discovery Legitimizes Rape Culture"

You jest but I can totally see that being an actual article

This is not the future Captain Picard would have wanted :negative:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

This is not the future Captain Picard would have wanted :negative:

Not enough Dune Buggies?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Picard won't be born for another 70 years!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My actual worry is that Isaacs bites it at the end of the premiere, thrusting an unprepared first officer into the captain's chair ("hur hur, Discovery has a double meaning, get it?"). That'll piss off women of color -- she won't just be the captain, some sort of poo poo has to force it.

And then people complain, and the alt-right goes, "SEE? THEY'RE NEVER HAPPY. JOIN USSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 7, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Timby posted:

My actual worry is that Isaacs bites it at the end of the premiere, thrusting an unprepared first officer into the captain's chair. That'll piss off women of color -- she won't just be the captain, some sort of poo poo has to force it.

And then people complain, and the alt-right goes, "SEE? THEY'RE NEVER HAPPY. JOIN USSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

Don't worry, it's not like there is a history of right wing ideologues completely ignoring the text and subtext of Trek in order to enjoy the buzz buzz lasers and Space battles.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Picard won't be born for another 70 years!

Well he needs to travel back in time and give a rousing speech because we need him more than ever now

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Jason Isaacs had a terrible experience the last time he was aboard a spaceship.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sith Happens posted:

I wonder if with a prominent actor like that, if they'll be able to stick to the "Captain is just a background character" schtick they were reportedly going for. Although maybe that has been changed by now, considering the development hell this show has been stuck in.

I'm pretty sure that plan was dead as soon as they decided the lead would be the XO. She's as high up the chain of command as you can be excepting the captain, so it's not really much of a move. And so far all the XOs in Star Trek have been tied at the hip to the captain. Was the captain going to dispense wisdom once an episode with his face hidden by a fence or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jason motherfucking Isaac's!!!