Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Office Pig posted:

i feel gross for laughing at these

Feeling bad for.these people is like feeling bad for the people who fall off a cliff playing pokemon go or someone who crashed while drinking and driving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Most are fake. According to RT I read.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Tonetta posted:

Feeling bad for.these people is like feeling bad for the people who fall off a cliff playing pokemon go or someone who crashed while drinking and driving

yeah, our country has committed a massive self-own like some dumb teen doing backyard wrestling jumping onto a bunch of light bulbs. so dang stupid you have to wonder how they survived as long as they have.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

uber_stoat posted:

yeah, our country has committed a massive self-own like some dumb teen doing backyard wrestling jumping onto a bunch of light bulbs. so dang stupid you have to wonder how they survived as long as they have.

Safety warnings on everything has nixed darwinism at the individual level

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the darwin awards should make a return

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I have a friend of mine who was a hardcore trumpie. Despite being a true believer public defender and a muslim who mostly keep halal.
He has been strangely silent on facebook since the muslim ban.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

I have a friend of mine who was a hardcore trumpie. Despite being a true believer public defender and a muslim who mostly keep halal.
He has been strangely silent on facebook since the muslim ban.

Your friend sounds really dumb lol. It's funny how many internalize that they're "one of the good ones." It's like that article about some Trumper poo poo hole Midwest town having heir local Mexican restaurant owner/community volunteer deported and being upset about it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lol sorry buddy your wife is going to die in an undisclosed location forced labor camp and you voted for it to happen

Anyway don't you become a citizen through marriage and only lose it if you divorce before 3 years?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

fits my needs posted:

Your friend sounds really dumb lol. It's funny how many internalize that they're "one of the good ones." It's like that article about some Trumper poo poo hole Midwest town having heir local Mexican restaurant owner/community volunteer deported and being upset about it.

"I'm the exception" is the cry of every Trump voter as they attempt to externalize their self-loathing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Hodgepodge posted:

"I'm the exception" is the cry of every Trump voter as they attempt to externalize their self-loathing.

there are lots fo cases where i think this is maybe vaguely understandable but lol at any muslim who voted for trump

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hodgepodge posted:

and juan was the snowflake

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Goddamnit those California liberals were entirely correct

Staying home and encouraging demoralization among the trumpenproles is the best thing we can hope for, esp in 2018

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Epic High Five posted:

Goddamnit those California liberals were entirely correct

Staying home and encouraging demoralization among the trumpenproles is the best thing we can hope for, esp in 2018

This was inevitable from the moment he won. He spent the entire campaign promising to do things he couldn't possibly do if he won, because he didn't expect to win and didn't understand how the Presidency works anyway. He won with a likely-unrepeatable coalition of very angry (and in some cases stark raving mad) people desperate for an alternative. When that alternative fails their anger will fall on him too.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This was inevitable from the moment he won. He spent the entire campaign promising to do things he couldn't possibly do if he won, because he didn't expect to win and didn't understand how the Presidency works anyway. He won with a likely-unrepeatable coalition of very angry (and in some cases stark raving mad) people desperate for an alternative. When that alternative fails their anger will fall on him too.

but one of the dangers with trump is that he is such a singularly buffoonish personality that his failures won't do much to discredit the underlying ideology, it will all be blamed on his many glaring personal flaws, and a "cuckservative" congress. the next alt-right candidate(s) will be more serious, and if they can't yet make it to president they'll be filling seats in the house and the senate

trump wouldn't have won if he wasn't channeling the feelings of the gop base. the party is growing a significant fascist wing that isn't going away anytime soon

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Trump will blame everyone else starting with Congressional Republicans and his supporters will believe it(because it will be true)

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Trump will blame everyone else starting with Congressional Republicans and his supporters will believe it(because it will be true)

and congressional gop will blame trump as a fake republican and the gop pundit+donor classes will believe it (bc, also true)

but eventually the trumpish base will organize and primary the gop congress and take over and WN candidates may wind up the norm for republicans

lol that "small govt" was literally invented as a dog whistle for the southern strategy yet the randian true believers deluded themselves into thinking poor white ppl really hate govt services

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

and congressional gop will blame trump as a fake republican and the gop pundit+donor classes will believe it (bc, also true)

but eventually the trumpish base will organize and primary the gop congress and take over and WN candidates may wind up the norm for republicans

lol that "small govt" was literally invented as a dog whistle for the southern strategy yet the randian true believers deluded themselves into thinking poor white ppl really hate govt services

who are voters going to believe though?

trump is a cult of personality with a much smaller base than republicans can use to actually control the government

right now they do because it's been a combination of trumpists, tea party, and traditional conservatives all coming together

when one of them turns against the others (which is literally happening now) they're done

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Gringostar posted:

who are voters going to believe though?

trump is a cult of personality with a much smaller base than republicans can use to actually control the government

right now they do because it's been a combination of trumpists, tea party, and traditional conservatives all coming together

when one of them turns against the others (which is literally happening now) they're done

it's a party realignment and how it shakes out is hard to predict, but i think it's very likely that trump-style nationalists show up and win in state level races and congressional seats in the coming years regardless of how trump himself turns out.

as i said, it's easy to see trump the man as an anomaly/cult of personality. he is anomalous, in his temperament and personality and attention span. that doesn't mean it is necessarily anomalous that his ethno-nationalist core message appealed to voters. those far right politicians are all over europe.

actually, i would argue that the only explanation of why an impulsive clown from a deep blue state with an affinity for russia won the republican nomination is that his core white nationalist message resonated so strongly with much of the gop base (the general election is a bit more complicated for a variety of factors we're all familiar with)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

If you guys don't check the freep thread they're losing their minds over the ACA legislation. And they aren't all explaining away Trump's part in it.

Sorry if it's already been posted.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

it's a party realignment and how it shakes out is hard to predict, but i think it's very likely that trump-style nationalists show up and win in state level races and congressional seats in the coming years regardless of how trump himself turns out.

as i said, it's easy to see trump the man as an anomaly/cult of personality. he is anomalous, in his temperament and personality and attention span. that doesn't mean it is necessarily anomalous that his ethno-nationalist core message appealed to voters. those far right politicians are all over europe.

actually, i would argue that the only explanation of why an impulsive clown from a deep blue state with an affinity for russia won the republican nomination is that his core white nationalist message resonated so strongly with much of the gop base (the general election is a bit more complicated for a variety of factors we're all familiar with)
Yeah, I think you're right that nationalist/isolationist/nativist Republicans are here to stay, as they're essentially the evolution of Pat Buchanan's culture warriors and George W. Bush's compassionate conservatives, but who instead of orienting around social issues are now coming together on economic issues after being poo poo on economically for so long.

Now that these voters aren't quite so interested in voting against their own economic self-interest, it's going to be interesting to see how the realignment plays out with the business wing of the party.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

Lol sorry buddy your wife is going to die in an undisclosed location forced labor camp and you voted for it to happen

Anyway don't you become a citizen through marriage and only lose it if you divorce before 3 years?

this was a while back, but no

marriage in itself grants you no special status, in fact, if you got married outside the US, and the border agent finds out about it when you try to enter the US without an immigrant visa, he will likely deny you entry, because he'll suspect you might not want to leave when your stay is up!

marriage does open avenues for you to APPLY for permanent resident status, initially conditional on your remaining married to your citizen spouse. you can apply to remove that condition after two years, possibly sooner if the marriage ends because of abuse

applications typically take at least several months and sometimes years to process, cost hundreds of dollars, and you'll be putting in several different ones depending on where you are and what country you're from, and there will be several interviews alone and with your spouse, you'll be fingerprinted & background checked, and if you need a visa, a US sponsor will have to assume full legal responsibility for any medical bills and other such costs you might incur!

becoming an actual citizen only becomes an option once you've been a permanent resident for a number of years, and will involve yet another application and interview

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Duscat posted:

this was a while back, but no

marriage in itself grants you no special status, in fact, if you got married outside the US, and the border agent finds out about it when you try to enter the US without an immigrant visa, he will likely deny you entry, because he'll suspect you might not want to leave when your stay is up!

marriage does open avenues for you to APPLY for permanent resident status, initially conditional on your remaining married to your citizen spouse. you can apply to remove that condition after two years, possibly sooner if the marriage ends because of abuse

applications typically take at least several months and sometimes years to process, cost hundreds of dollars, and you'll be putting in several different ones depending on where you are and what country you're from, and there will be several interviews alone and with your spouse, you'll be fingerprinted & background checked, and if you need a visa, a US sponsor will have to assume full legal responsibility for any medical bills and other such costs you might incur!

becoming an actual citizen only becomes an option once you've been a permanent resident for a number of years, and will involve yet another application and interview

so it's doable

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh I thought it was a lot more automatic than that

Those poor women getting trafficked over here on the promises of becoming a citizen are in for even more horrible surprises than they already had lined up for them

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

yup, and this dude's wife should probably start the naturalization process if she hasn't yet, because the redcaps PROBABLY won't start throwing immigrant citizens in the camps until they've at least run out of noncitizens

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, I think you're right that nationalist/isolationist/nativist Republicans are here to stay, as they're essentially the evolution of Pat Buchanan's culture warriors and George W. Bush's compassionate conservatives, but who instead of orienting around social issues are now coming together on economic issues after being poo poo on economically for so long.

Now that these voters aren't quite so interested in voting against their own economic self-interest, it's going to be interesting to see how the realignment plays out with the business wing of the party.

the business wing will continue to use id pol, and racial dog whistling to tamp down efforts to realign around economic issues
note what's happening now, for instance, the muslim ban has been pushed through twice, yet renegotiation of nafta, and the various tariffs that have been proposed haven't been visited once

dodd frank has already been watered down, and trump has already become pro pharma though

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Epic High Five posted:

Those poor women getting trafficked over here on the promises of becoming a citizen are in for even more horrible surprises than they already had lined up for them

they live in slavery, this is a sad fact, that the mail order bride apparatus amounts to long term sex trafficking

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Duscat posted:

yup, and this dude's wife should probably start the naturalization process if she hasn't yet, because the redcaps PROBABLY won't start throwing immigrant citizens in the camps until they've at least run out of noncitizens

yep :agreed:

it's sad the extremes humanity forces people to resort to

:smith:

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

yeah, immigrant spouses, like immigrant labor, are definitely vulnerable to exploitation

otoh, some women on "international dating" sites can be quite savvy, and the problem may in fact lie in convincing immigration officials that they're not just marrying the poor sap for the green card!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Hey here's a map of Trump voters who are about to realize they're going to die under Trump

https://twitter.com/allinwithchris/status/839648381832204288

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Came for some hot caps of people being burned under trump, left reading dnd. :sad:

^ first in a while

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HorseRenoir posted:

Hey here's a map of Trump voters who are about to realize they're going to die under Trump

Plus, it's tax credits and not subsidies

Factor in that you're going to have to pay everything up front before getting a rebate at the end of the year and it's a lot more loving dire for anybody under 75k

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

Came for some hot caps of people being burned under trump, left reading dnd. :sad:

^ first in a while

be the change you want to see in the world, shitter-san

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

Plus, it's tax credits and not subsidies

Factor in that you're going to have to pay everything up front before getting a rebate at the end of the year and it's a lot more loving dire for anybody under 75k

actually, I don't think it's quite that bad, unless the trumpcare bill specifically cancels the advance credit payment mechanism

of course $2000 year obviously isn't buying you a hell of a lot of health insurance

sexpot
Nov 12, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HorseRenoir posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdYPxFMhEkE&t=8s

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Office Pig posted:

i feel gross for laughing at these

It's the emojis. There's something so Minion-ugly about them but they are marketed and designed to the nth degree where just sprinkling them in conversations about life-ruining situations barely gets a second look. 🙂

Or it could be that these people are so super hosed (and I know hosed) that it's hard not to laugh out of the sheer force of it all 🙃

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

HorseRenoir posted:

It's a shame poor people have to take a bullet for it, but anything that kills people over 60 is a net good right now in the US so

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

wizard on a water slide posted:

It's a shame poor people have to take a bullet for it, but anything that kills people over 60 is a net good right now in the US so

yeah, seriously

the current political-economic-social situation is best described as a war of attrition between millennials and boomers

i mean bummer about generation x but they were sort of the recon unit into boomer territory and established that no prisoners would be taken (see how utterly crushed generation x was regarding relevance)

so, anything that kills olds more than youngs: very, very good

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
like for some reason that "81% of supposedly poor people have a microwave" stuff started going viral on my facebook again today and I was like "aside from everything else this is an age thing, 70 year olds (ppl watching cable news) have no real idea that you can buy a brand-new microwave for $50 or less and a used one online for a fraction of that, even though it's in large part a direct consequence of all that outsourcing they claim to hate which was their own fault"

boomers by and large don't seem to understand the consequences, ill and occasionally even good, of any of the loving choices they made or policies they embraced and it's weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

i dont quite know what to make of boomers tbh

i mean the are The Enemy, in the way a force attacking you is, but they lived in just such an absurdly different time

it dawned on my after a grueling job search where i finally found something halfway decent after literally hundreds of applications accompanied by the hectoring of my boomer parents

i asked them how many jobs they had applied to, since they were butting in so much, and the answer was quite sobering: 1 application. not each, but among them, just my dad, the one. while he was walking down the street one day towards the end of his studies, a guy who knew his brother mistook him for his brother and took him to the factory he owned since my dad did not break character. at the factory, he revealed he was not his brother. guy hired him on the spot anyway, with a salary i could only dream of in todays terms. the application was successful but my dad was obviously no longer interested

i mean how do you even explain the current economic situation to a generation which is used to that sort of absurd abundance being the normal

thanks for reading my gayass parent story