Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Folks, I've just bought a Switch and I don't like the feel of the Joy-Cons too much. If I sell 'em and buy a Pro controller, am I likely to regret it at any stage? Is it necessary in any way to have at least one set with the machine?

I'm never likely to have local multiplayer in the house, nor will I be playing the console outside its cradle, if that makes things simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Snipperclips appears to only support Joycons, I think.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

magnum_valentino posted:

Folks, I've just bought a Switch and I don't like the feel of the Joy-Cons too much. If I sell 'em and buy a Pro controller, am I likely to regret it at any stage? Is it necessary in any way to have at least one set with the machine?

I'm never likely to have local multiplayer in the house, nor will I be playing the console outside its cradle, if that makes things simpler.

There are some games that absolutely do not work with the pro controller so

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

My cat of 14 years died today. I'm afraid I will always associate this amazing Zelda game with the death of my cat.

Condolences. My dog passed away back in January. It sucks. He was 17 years old though so he had a pretty long run for a dog.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Cool, thanks for the info. I imagine I'll only be playing first-party titles for now, and sure if something must-have comes out that requires them I can always rebuy.

Thanks for your answers and sorry about yall's pets, honestly. That sucks.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

I wish my 24 year old cat would just let go already so I didn't have to clean up piles of cat poo poo around the house first thing in the morning while worrying that my pregnant wife is living in a house literally crawling with toxoplasmosis. The cat is old and frail and scared of our other cats but the vet said she's fine so my options are to wait until she gets worse or euthanize a "healthy" cat. I think she's had a good run and I don't think her quality of life is very good anymore, but it's also immensely cruel to decide to end a life for convenience. I'd try and take her back to the vet but that's no fun for anyone.

Sorry for the bummer talk, and I'm sorry your cat died. Pets are great sources of happiness but can also be great sources of stress. Please pet or scratch your animal friends.

Unless its an outdoor cat or has contact with them its not going to have communicable toxo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There are indoor cats???

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sakurazuka posted:

There are indoor cats???

Reduces the chance of them murdering native wildlife and going feral.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sakurazuka posted:

There are indoor cats???

My two have been indoors for 18+ years and quite happy about it!

....Which is good because Harvey's dumb as a post about the idea of getting out of the way of anything: vacuum cleaners, laundry baskets, my feet......

e: His nickname is Tripping Hazard!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

There are indoor cats???

In america, land of coyotes and car first neighborhood planning

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Real hurthling! posted:

In america, land of coyotes and car first neighborhood planning

Cats have driven many native species to extinction but yeah LOL AMERICANS

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Real hurthling! posted:

Unless its an outdoor cat or has contact with them its not going to have communicable toxo

It used to be, years ago. But after we moved to a more urban area we kept her inside and she seems fine with it. Now we have a backyard but the cats seem mostly fine with enjoying the outdoors from a nice window sill or cat tree.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

There are indoor cats???

I used to hate the idea of indoor cats since I grew up with outside/inside ones, but living in an urban area filled with cars and highways has meant raising two cats who are inside-only except my balcony. They are actually super scared of going outside.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Awww

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Horizon Zero Dawn finished and platinumed. It was so good and like Nioh and New Doom completely caught me by surprise. I hope people I convinced to buy it like Palpek enjoy it as much as I did. Now, I'm onto Zelda and Nier: Automata but I haven't decided which one to do first. Guess I'll download the Nier demo and see if it digs its claws into me...

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I also have four indoor cats. They are nuts. One of them is deaf, so they definitely cannot go outside as I would fear for her life.
The other three show interest in outside and if I move to a slightly less built up area, then I will let them be outside cats.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I canceled my gamefly account and bought Nier Automata because I have poor impulse control. The demo didn't actually grab me too much but when people mentioned it's actually an RPG I couldn't resist

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

bloodychill posted:

I used to hate the idea of indoor cats since I grew up with outside/inside ones, but living in an urban area filled with cars and highways has meant raising two cats who are inside-only except my balcony. They are actually super scared of going outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=068AFYvd58E

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Pictured: indoor cats

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

Id imagine fairly few people keep their cat inside for reasons other than the cats own safety.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Real hurthling! posted:

Id imagine fairly few people keep their cat inside for reasons other than the cats own safety.

Yeah I don't give a gently caress about other species out there dying to my cat, i just want my sweet girl to not die to a coyote or something. Luckily she's terrified of the outdoors so no problemo

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 7, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

All my cats will always be indoor cats because:

corn in the bible posted:

I've made my peace with all of my furniture being permanently shredded.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

my cat stopped using the litter box and i'm cycling through boxes and litters until i find one she likes again

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/arr/status/774855950070972417

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

A classic.

But yeah, my cats do their one big job well which is to kill any bugs that come in. They're pros at it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

:yeah:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bloodychill posted:

A classic.

But yeah, my cats do their one big job well which is to kill any bugs that come in. They're pros at it.

The one time a mouse got into our house, my cat chased it around so loudly that it woke me up at 4 a.m. I ended up tricking the cat into chasing the mouse into a cardboard box so I could let it out because I wasn't thrilled about potentially having to clean mouse guts out of the carpet. The cat did get cat treats to hopefully make up for not getting to eat any mouse because I felt bad.

(Also she did end up killing the mouse--when she ran the mouse into the box and I lifted it up so the mouse couldn't escape, the cat was stuck in there too and thrashed around a bit before she got out. Mouse got owned pretty badly. So a successful hunt, nonetheless.)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

my cat stopped using the litter box and i'm cycling through boxes and litters until i find one she likes again

Get her checked out too. It was the first sign of illness for my elderly cat last year

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bloodychill posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn finished and platinumed. It was so good and like Nioh and New Doom completely caught me by surprise. I hope people I convinced to buy it like Palpek enjoy it as much as I did. Now, I'm onto Zelda and Nier: Automata but I haven't decided which one to do first. Guess I'll download the Nier demo and see if it digs its claws into me...

Nier Automata is really good so far.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone link me to the Android games thread. I'm on mobile and can't search

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

bloodychill posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn finished and platinumed. It was so good and like Nioh and New Doom completely caught me by surprise. I hope people I convinced to buy it like Palpek enjoy it as much as I did.
Hey, I bought it a couple of days ago and it downloaded overnight. I played a bit today before work and I already really like the setting - starting off going through a Fallout vault got me hooked and this mix of tribes/robot dinos/dead advanced civilization seems to be somewhat enough of its own thing to stay interesting even if similar settings were done in games before. The game looks gorgeous, I can already say it'll totally be my poo poo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Palpek posted:

Hey, I bought it a couple of days ago and it downloaded overnight. I played a bit today before work and I already really like the setting - starting off going through a Fallout vault got me hooked and this mix of tribes/robot dinos/dead advanced civilization seems to be somewhat enough of its own thing to stay interesting even if similar settings were done in games before. The game looks gorgeous, I can already say it'll totally be my poo poo.

It's a really good game and I think one of the best open world games ever made.

It doesn't do anything radical with its structure--you still climb towers, even though they're mobile and you can still chase icons down on your map for collectibles--but it does a really good job of giving you some variety in your side quests instead of copy-pasting busywork tasks like an Ubisoft game would. And its combat is the best I think I've ever played in an open world game. Combat against humans is nothing special, but fighting the machines is never boring. And the fact that you actually need to use the big variety of tools you have to win fights is refreshing, because a lot of open world games tend to give you lots of tools to use but never really challenge in ways that makes you want to use them all.

Oh, and it's absolutely gorgeous. Just wait until you see what the moon looks like shining through trees at night.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

bloodychill posted:

Horizon is already the fastest-selling new IP that Playstation has ever had, beating even Uncharted 4 and also outselling Zelda in its first week. I know it can be hard to tell what's actually popular through the something awful lens sometimes but it's definitely not some overlooked gem, it's mega popular.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Guerilla Games is now doomed to make Horizon sequels forever like they've been making Killzone

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lakbay posted:

Guerilla Games is now doomed to make Horizon sequels forever like they've been making Killzone

At least Horizon is starting off amazing. Killzone at no point in time was ever good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lakbay posted:

it's my hope that they instead join hands with Kojima and help out even more as he gets the ball rolling on Death Stranding. bodes well for his game that Horizon looks and performs so well since he's using a chunk of their own engine.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm excited to see what they can do with a sequel to Horizon. It's already a pretty amazing game, but now they have an engine to work with and the basic ideas all in place so they can grow it from here.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Coop. Make it coop. It's already got a lot of monster hunter blood in its veins.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Not that there was a ton of it, but I'd like them to remove fighting other humans. While it's not bad it was pretty uninteresting compared to fighting robot dinosaurs. Also every other modern AAA games involves fighting humans or humanoid sized things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't mind fighting humans anytime there was a normal fixed amount of them. There are a few story missions/setpiece events whete they spawn infinitly or in waves, and that's dumb. Put all the humans on the map and don't make more appear out of thin air and I don't mind.

• Locked thread