Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Don't scare the birds, it'll give away your position, also you should shoot the birds to scare them and give away your position

Cool game, I assume that you quit at the end of the video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Don't scare the birds, it'll give away your position, also you should shoot the birds to scare them and give away your position

Cool game, I assume that you quit at the end of the video

He wouldn't have died if he had gone across the street instead and tried to sneak past that way.

Vampire Rain is all about stealth with you facing enemies that are way way stronger than you and it is foolhardy to try to take one on, especially by sneaking up right behind it and expecting a headshot to take it out

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is the gun useful for anything except scaring birds?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I haven't played it, but from a vid I saw in defense of it, it CAN be used to kill enemies but you have to set yourself up in a position to have the advantage against them because otherwise they will maul you. You're mostly intended to use it as a form of distraction iirc.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I do like the Definitely Not From Metal Gear "call" icon...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://my.mixtape.moe/kmhswt.webm

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One day I will go back and actually finish Drakengard 3. Holy poo poo that game is wacky!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Youtube throwing recommendations at me has reminded me that I'd really like to play Darkest Dungeon but I've had to refund it twice over because I simply cannot get it to run without crashing on a modern computer at all. I have no idea why a simple 2D game should be so hard to run when I have no trouble running vastly more complex and demanding games but there it is.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the turner classic movies guy died. made me think about how there should be a guy like that for games, but such a person would probably have an unsuccessful youtube channel career

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Games aren't old enough for a Robert Osborne we need like 7 or 8 more decades

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You know, forty years in film history takes you from half-a-minute clips of a train to around The Wizard of Oz. That's certainly impressive.

Forty years in games takes you from the Atari 2600 to now, and I think that may be more impressive

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Palpek posted:

Is Wildlands actually any good though?
Did you enjoy Mercenaries 2: World in Frames?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ABObSRCHY
Do you want to play coop with create-a-characters that look like Big Boss and Mattias Nilsson?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 7, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cardboard Box A posted:

Did you enjoy Mercenaries 2: World in Frames?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ABObSRCHY

Can't airdrop a boat onto people, 2/10

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I love sci-fi games: in 2030, everyone will have a fancy technological device called a 'PDA'. The main character is impressed by this, of course.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You know, forty years in film history takes you from half-a-minute clips of a train to around The Wizard of Oz. That's certainly impressive.

Forty years in games takes you from the Atari 2600 to now, and I think that may be more impressive

Games have benefited greatly from the technology of other industries in a way early film really couldn't.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Kai Tave posted:

Can't airdrop a boat onto people, 2/10
Dunno about boats but vehicle drops are definitely in the game.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So I picked up gungeon during that sale and finally got around to playing it, and it turns out it's a really bad game! Who knew?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

So I picked up gungeon during that sale and finally got around to playing it, and it turns out it's a really bad game! Who knew?

It's honestly the most divisive game I've heard these forums argue about. "It's great, goty, play it!" - Steam thread vs "worst game, play nuclear throne instead" - Steam thread.

I personally like it, but I'm not good at it so I rarely go beyond the first floor.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Red Bones posted:

I have heard of Americans with the first name Reagan a bunch of times and it only now occurred to me that it could be a Ronald Reagan thing. Is that the whole reason why some people in the US are called that?

They probably just really love King Lear

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

precision posted:

I did it, Ray

I clicked on the "Horizon uses cultural appropriation in a bad way" article. Jesus Christ.

Christina Fallin is one thing, like that's someone deliberately being super lovely. I'm only 1/4 Native and have no tribal affiliation but she can gently caress off and die forever. But come on... why must everything be terrible :(

Her conclusion is fine: we can all try a little harder to write stories that are more inclusive of indigenous peoples and cultures. Sure! Totally! Duh! I mean, it shouldn't be a "duh" type of thing, but whatever.

The problem is that she writes like a 13 year old that just found Sherman Alexie and it blew her mind.

If anything, she has a better case against Blizzard for that hilariously distasteful Pharah skin than she does against Guerrilla Games' use of the word "Tribal".

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57arnjuNmy0

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Propaganda Hour posted:

If anything, she has a better case against Blizzard for that hilariously distasteful Pharah skin than she does against Guerrilla Games' use of the word "Tribal".

Pointing out Blizzard's racism is like shooting fish in a barrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDrX9Ml4TyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBd671LvlZk

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
My cat of 14 years died today. I'm afraid I will always associate this amazing Zelda game with the death of my cat.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Lurdiak posted:

Pointing out Blizzard's racism is like shooting fish in a barrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDrX9Ml4TyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBd671LvlZk

Sometimes I feel bad for the modern Blizzard writers & artists post Metzen's retirement but just lol

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Grapplejack posted:

I bought Gungeon when it was on sale and because Scruffy is doing an ongoing LP of it that made it look cool. And at first I thought it was fuckin terrible. Then somewhere along the line something happened and it started clicking with me and I played a shitload of it and finally beat the boss. Then I haven't felt like playing it lately, but I might do so later?

This isn't some "just stick with it, you'll come to love it" thing because I dunno why I suddenly did an about-face on it, it definitely has a lot of rough edges in my opinion, but something about it wound up grabbing me enough to get me through at least one successful playthrough and I don't think it was sunk-cost since it didn't cost me all that much. What I'm saying is that even though I eventually came around on it I can definitely see where the people who say it sucks are coming from and I don't think they're dumb to have that opinion.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

My cat of 14 years died today. I'm afraid I will always associate this amazing Zelda game with the death of my cat.

That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that :(

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Putting my dog down next week. Fraid this gives me only one option to play at her dog funeral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Mo7U0XSFo

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I am so sorry. :(

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

plz dont pull out posted:

Putting my dog down next week. Fraid this gives me only one option to play at her dog funeral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Mo7U0XSFo

As humans, it is our curse that we have to outlive our animal companions but in return they bring so much joy to us. Our lives are further enhanced by them entering the story that is our life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM3d266_QWw

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i beat another dungeon in zelda. i'm starting to worry about the amount of uniquely themed dungeon content in the game. they have all been cool but really short and easy. the approach to the dungeon was like 3-4 times longer than the dungeon itself.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My cat of 14 years died today. I'm afraid I will always associate this amazing Zelder game with the death of my cat.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Pets simply don't live long enough, it's quite cruel. I hope the fond memories you have of your cat accompany you as you finish the game.

Real hurthling! posted:

i beat another donjon in zelder.

I love my word filters.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am going to name my daughter Vida and my son James.

Also I am very sorry to those who have lost pets :(

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lurdiak posted:

Games have benefited greatly from the technology of other industries in a way early film really couldn't.
Yeah, it irks me a tiny bit when people do things like compare video game development to movie industry development 1:1 as if the early arcades from the 70's are comperable to the early movies from the end of the XIXth century. Then all sorts of oversimplified parallels are drawn between Hollywood and gaming history which maybe look nice on paper but don't really add up. Cultural context and surrunding media are everything, games didn't evolve in a vacuum.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Games had the misfortune of maturing in an Internet-enabled world

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I didn't mean the comment as some kind of jingoist snipe against films (I study both of their histories for a living), and I certainly understand the historical contexts behind both those media quite well. I am simply talking from a pure experiential standpoint. Once you enter into a world of moving images where before there were none, the development of color and sound, while definitely a herculean technological endeavor, is somewhat just an extension of the experience. With games, it is simply just personally more mind-blowing to me to have gone from being impressed by moving a group of pixels on a screen to the things we have now.

Edit: And by that I mean this of course. Wildlands sounding great
https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/839000791822168064

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 7, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I didn't mean the comment as some kind of jingoist snipe against films (I study both of their histories for a living), and I certainly understand the historical contexts behind both those media quite well. I am simply talking from a pure experiential standpoint. Once you enter into a world of moving images where before there were none, the development of color and sound, while definitely a herculean technological endeavor, is somewhat just an extension of the experience. With games, it is simply just personally more mind-blowing to me to have gone from being impressed by moving a group of pixels on a screen to the things we have now.

Edit: And by that I mean this of course. Wildlands sounding great
https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/839000791822168064

Games, art, etc.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

plz dont pull out posted:

I want you both to remember that mourning and grief are both completely 110% normal and that it is ok to be sad, and if you feel like crying, that is okay, and if you feel like venting, that is okay too. Bottling up your emotions isn't healthy. If your way of coping involves staying distant for a while, then that's fine, but I don't want either of you to feel like you're not allowed to be sad because they were "just animals" or something like that.

I wish you both the best. I hope you are both able to find calm and relief soon, and please know that both of your animals love you greatly and they will always be thankful for their time they got to spend with you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, I know I say this every time it comes up but it's a change in perspective that I always found helped me in the moment: Your pet was your best friend for just a portion of your life, but you were its best friend for its entire life.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I wish my 24 year old cat would just let go already so I didn't have to clean up piles of cat poo poo around the house first thing in the morning while worrying that my pregnant wife is living in a house literally crawling with toxoplasmosis. The cat is old and frail and scared of our other cats but the vet said she's fine so my options are to wait until she gets worse or euthanize a "healthy" cat. I think she's had a good run and I don't think her quality of life is very good anymore, but it's also immensely cruel to decide to end a life for convenience. I'd try and take her back to the vet but that's no fun for anyone.

Sorry for the bummer talk, and I'm sorry your cat died. Pets are great sources of happiness but can also be great sources of stress. Please pet or scratch your animal friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My old cats are asleep behind my chair and on the couch right now, being warm, comfy, and loved. (I keep reaching behind my chair to pet old Moaterboat even though he's trying to sleep. I'm helping!)

• Locked thread