Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sounds like the planned releases for this year are quite a bit of new content, trying to find primary sources but all I can get is second-hand from game sites, presumably they announced at GDC

https://www.pcgamesn.com/conan-exiles/conan-exiles-release-date-updates

1) Siege warfare, including:

Trebuchets (see the video above to watch one in action)
Siege towers: these work on a ‘build your own’ system, whereby players can mix-and-match pieces on top of a moving base
Corpse lockers: drag fallen enemies back to a gnarly toxic pit, then craft their bodies into ammunition for your trebuchet
This first instalment is due ‘very soon’, i.e. within the next month.

2) The Purge

Something of an endgame system, in which NPC armies will attack players’ cities - players thus need to build up to defend against this. You’ll be alerted to an incoming attack by the fires in your watchtowers changing colour a few days in advance.

3) Mounts, including:

Animal thralls
Mount and pet gear
Mounted combat

4) Sorcery

This will allow you to utilize and get some benefit out of a corrupted state. There will be necromancy, summoning rituals and, as you can see, some fairly sinister outfits

5) Settlement system

Funcom are intending for their to be a proper system of city life within your settlements, as well as new buildings such as barracks. There will be farming, trading, and also the ability to set schedules for your thralls so that you can, say, have them light fires at a certain time each day, or open doors for you when you approach (entrance music unconfirmed at this stage).

6) Highland biome, featuring:

Snowy mountains
New gods
New resources
The introduction of a temperature system to the game
Funcom say they’re looking to have this new biome in place by the time the game arrives on Xbox Game Preview, which is currently scheduled to be Q3 of this year.

Preview videos for dyes, siege, and the new dungeon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkwF9YElU6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfvlP_zA0O4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I0OmrZlVhk

edit: Something I read in a few places but not all: thrall behavior will be customized so you can put them on patrol, give them beds and time periods to sleep or someshit, real spotty on the details on that one.

Filipino Freakout fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
If you can actually build a city where your thralls go about their day jobs and have day/night cycles then I would fully approve. And I mean not just hanging around their crafting stations but actually getting stone/coal/iron from zones you can designate per map overlay.

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Devs finally got the new blog post up, has a few more details:

https://blog.conanexiles.com/en/look-things-come/

Farming has been mentioned but I don't know if that means literal 'farming' as in agricutlure, which they mention soil specifically in the new biome, or like you said going out to gather raw materials (or both). But it sounds like they want your base to be a living community and any enhancements there will be rad.

With a temperature variable being added maybe there will be a use for Survival stat even though that's kind of boring. I really hope a stat overhaul is included in all this Coming Soon, only having 3.5 of your 6 stats being arguably useful is pretty poo poo.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The BMW Conan group moved domains. New link is discord.bmwdiscord.com.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
All of the planned content sounds dope.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
We should probably keep our expectations pretty low, this is Funcom after all. I mean, theyre not as bad as they were back in the AO through AoC days, but theyre still Funcom.

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

Yeah we should. And here it comes: new avatar defence system is rock-paper-scissors, you have to guess what avatar you have to defend against.

Which instantly reminded me of a youtube video with three different avatars crushing a base one after another. Good luck with that defense heh.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The obvious next step is forcing tribes to follow one god.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Finally I can be the Christian dad slavemaster I've always wanted to be

Get back to work!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

No but seriously when are they adding Jesus Christo and his merry band of saints?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That's Mitra, already. All of Conan is an analogue to our world but distorted by calamity.

Howard was big into anthropology and history.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

A mitran missionary trying to preach to the savage tribes of the west and show them the light of god accidentally gave the Picts the secret of steelworking instead and they ended up conquering most of the world.

I forget if that's before or after the days of Conan though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
After, I remember Conan fighting some.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
At one point the picts are pretty much just REH's version of native americans (Conan, but some weird pirate Conan before he really figured out the character ). And at another point they're pretty much just a romanticized version of the historical picts (Bran Mak Morn).

Did the actual REH Conan stories have any real continuity aside from the broad story where he eventually becomes king? I think it was the later comics and stories by other authors that made the timeline.

It always seemed like Howard just made a bunch of different characters and their people and then said they're all in the same world.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Howard did a bunch of Conan short stories that skipped around in the timeline; but there was enough there and in his notes for people to piece them together after he died

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Anyone who's into Conan at all should definitely visit the Frazetta Art Museum and the nearby Frazetta's Costumes. I ended up going to the Poconos for a vacation with some friends of mine last year and these made our trip. Especially the museum -- FF's son and grandson run the place. The art's fantastic, but holy poo poo the stories. What a weird and cool dude.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 7, 2017

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Some collections are edited chronologically but I think that's kind of a crummy way to read because of the massive swings in quality. Even the author intended the stories to be out of place and time because it resembled an adventurer recalling stories as they came to mind.

The 3 volume one that's edited by publication date amd with notes and prototype stories included is cool because you see the character evolve, also they commissioned illustration for it.

My favorite is the 3 volume set by Wagner though and that one's all over the place. Starts with Hour of the Dragon and is missing a handful of stories but it was the first collection without editorial revision.

If you want to get into Conan hour of the dragons as good a place to start as any even if it is the end. It's the only full novel and ends up taking place over much of hyperborea so you get the widest glimpse of the whole picture in one story. A good way to see if you'll like reading it at all.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Just got the game and it seems to work relatively decently for the time I spent in singleplayer getting the hang of things.

A couple of questions:

1) I'm getting a lot of sound stuttering once I get out of the starter desert, but framerate seems to stay decent. Is there any away to eliminate or reduce the stuttering?

2) Is archery a feasible way of hunting beasts and bandits while alone or am I setting myself up to be frustrated if I go in expecting to be able to mostly stay out of melee fighting?

3) Is upgrading to heavier armor a no-brainer choice with no down-sides, or are there advantages to staying lightly armored, besides looking like a rad barbarian?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bows are a bit useful early game (weaken multiple targets in a group before you have to trade health in melee) but take a lot of shots to kill.

I think the only downside of armor is the weight counts for your encumbrance?

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bows are good to have sometimes as the situation demands where you want to kite but putting points in Accuracy are a waste.

Armor not only reduces incoming damage, it increases your Poise which makes a -dramatic- difference when getting smacked by knockbacks. Things that put you on your rear end when naked do absolutely nothing in tier 4 armor and each tier tangibly improves that for different knockbacks.

The sound thing I've heard lots of people have troubles with and it's something different in every case. Google be with you.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Slashrat posted:

Just got the game and it seems to work relatively decently for the time I spent in singleplayer getting the hang of things.

A couple of questions:

1) I'm getting a lot of sound stuttering once I get out of the starter desert, but framerate seems to stay decent. Is there any away to eliminate or reduce the stuttering?

2) Is archery a feasible way of hunting beasts and bandits while alone or am I setting myself up to be frustrated if I go in expecting to be able to mostly stay out of melee fighting?

3) Is upgrading to heavier armor a no-brainer choice with no down-sides, or are there advantages to staying lightly armored, besides looking like a rad barbarian?

Do you have a HDD or SSD?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Primary disk is an SSD where everything runs off. I have a HDD too, but I only use it for file storage.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
the upgraded bow with snake arrows actually does a pretty decent amount of damage and lets you take down almost any regular enemy or animal without getting hit

don't expect to kill king rocknose with it or anything unless you bring like 300 arrows and sit on a rock plinking away at him for 10 minutes though (I did that, wasn't worth it).

did they really disable the spear charge attack btw? that poo poo was my bread and butter

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Instead of fixing the charge/jump exploit they just disabled the alt attack until they get around to it.

Same with the two-handed hammer, since you could just spam right-click with the much faster attack speed for the same amount of damage as the left-click.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Slashrat posted:

It's Conan. Do you see any whippy elvish types with bows in the intro? It's not another Tolkien wannabe, this is a universe of strong people with big swords. Please either embrace this or go and play something more beta

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
How or when the gently caress are they going to fix solo play so I can do the religious stuff.

edit: Is there anything wrong with making a private server to work around the religion bug?

edit2: a necklace made of dicks? sign me up.

edit3: okay yeah it doesnt look like you can just start up a server super easy so nm.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 8, 2017

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

It's Conan. Do you see any whippy elvish types with bows in the intro? It's not another Tolkien wannabe, this is a universe of strong people with big swords. Please either embrace this or go and play something more beta

Posts like this are why you've become a legend Tony.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I'd like to say something nice to you but you're totally anonymous to me and probably always will be

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I can't think of anything I'd rather hear from you, Tony.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What other betas would you suggest someone go play?

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

Torpor posted:

edit: Is there anything wrong with making a private server to work around the religion bug?

edit3: okay yeah it doesnt look like you can just start up a server super easy so nm.

I did just that for my personal building projects I don't want anyone to mess with. It works on my gaming rig without any problems, and no, it's not really hard to setup. Basically it's just run steamcmd once (and after updates), start a server then use direct connect with your internal IP from the game. Funcom have a guide on Steam forums I think, which is pretty simple. It took me about half an hour, not counting downloads.

Edit: Actually I lied when I said "without any problems". Use -nosteam if you have authentication error. Also usual dedicated server problems but those are on Funcom's side and are the same for everyone.

Cpl Clegg fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 8, 2017

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Tony Montana posted:

If conan was any type of really reductive rpg archetype he'd actually be a rogue. He did way more dirty business with just a simple knife and by sneaking then he ever did using large swords or axes.

His most common physical description besides his blazing blue eyes is as a panther, fast and lean.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You can make his steel poniard in the game but it sucks and that makes me sad.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It's conan the Barbarian not conan the rogue Lmao

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Umm actually Conan is whatever the gently caress he wants to be :tipshat:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hehe, yep Arnie made an iconic movie where he wore a leather vest and crept behind people to knife them in the back.

Arnie was a loving mountain of a man with an enormous sword who just chopped in half any bullshit in his way. I saw the recent remake this weekend, it was on Netflix. The 2011 movie really isn't bad. Again, Conan is a manly man and overcomes his problems with a sword and muscles rather than stealth or whatever.

Last night my large breasted red-haired barbarian woman punched multiple animals to death while the sun glistening off her taut and virile body. She then squatted in the sand, cooked some up and gnawed at it, washing it all down with river water.

Be a barbarian. It's lots of fun. Try to stay out of the water because it sort of washes you and we barbarians loving hate that poo poo. If I can't smell you before I see you then you're doing it wrong.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It's conan the Barbarian not conan the rogue Lmao

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Tony Montana posted:

Hehe, yep Arnie made an iconic movie where he wore a leather vest and crept behind people to knife them in the back.

Arnie was a loving mountain of a man with an enormous sword who just chopped in half any bullshit in his way. I saw the recent remake this weekend, it was on Netflix. The 2011 movie really isn't bad. Again, Conan is a manly man and overcomes his problems with a sword and muscles rather than stealth or whatever.

Last night my large breasted red-haired barbarian woman punched multiple animals to death while the sun glistening off her taut and virile body. She then squatted in the sand, cooked some up and gnawed at it, washing it all down with river water.

Be a barbarian. It's lots of fun. Try to stay out of the water because it sort of washes you and we barbarians loving hate that poo poo. If I can't smell you before I see you then you're doing it wrong.

Conan is smart and silent and more of a wild animal than a man. He creeps up behind people and snaps their necks in a net of mail because hes so good at being quiet he can do it with armor on.

He hardly ever sleeps and when he does a mouse pattering on the floor will wake him up.

Hes also strong as hell and outstrangled a man who was raised from birth to be a strangler in a stranglefight, one of my favorite conan moments besides the cross.

e: also magic not working on him because he doesn't believe in being afraid of it.

Jackard posted:

Umm actually Conan is whatever the gently caress he wants to be :tipshat:

Thief, Pirate, Freer of Slaves, Afghan Chief, Nomad Raider, Davy Crockett Frontiersman, Mercenary, Explorer, Assassin, King. The coolest thing about him is how much variety there is in the settings of the stories, even if a lot of them follow a set narrative pattern.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 8, 2017

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

But can Conan afford healthcare in the USA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ruggan posted:

But can Conan afford healthcare in the USA?

He had enough at one point but blew it all on booze and prostitutes.

• Locked thread