Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sullat
Jan 9, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Slim Jim was one of the most useful people on the French staff and he didn't command a brigade, there's a lot of roles for people like that.

Also you'd be surprised how many people messed up with the rules.

While not able to replace Mon Pere in our hearts, he did take over as Corps Commander after the dastardly Hun killed Mon Pere. Staff Officers can also grab brigades if the brigadiers fall by the wayside due to life or probation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

spectralent posted:

Shucks, if you can join in without having to learn the ruleset first I might as well give it a pop. Is either side short?

We can always use more people. Consider this an invite to join the Entente.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Looking at this map, I imagine an update that's just "Good luck, everyone." followed by Trin posting a timelapse gif of the map slowly fading into a field full of poppies

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Soiled Meat

Bacarruda posted:

To clear the air for a moment. Speaking for myself (and I think for the whole French team), this was a very fun game to play. Trin did a HUGE number of things right. The scale of the map and the relative force size was excellent. The speed of updates was great. I’m amazed at how fast Trin was able to process so many complex moves with basically no errors.

Trin created a scenario that passed the single biggest test of this kind of game: it was fun. I enjoyed it greatly and look forwards to the next time around.

But like every other red-blooded goon, I enjoy having a fighting chance at outright winning. And looking back on things, I do feel that, given the roads, the deployment zones and the objectives – the French team’s path to victory was fundamentally narrower than the German team’s.

Could the French have won? Sure. But to do so, the French had to pitch a perfect game in the face of some very real difficulties. The Germans had a much easier go of things.

Firstly, the location of the objectives heavily favored a team deploying in the NE corner of the map. The roads gave the German team a direct route to Saint Croissant.

Would anyone like to seriously dispute that getting the Saint Croissant first was not extremely advantageous to the Germans? And would anybody with a ruler and a map like to contend that the French could have the gotten there first?

Given the terrain, the French were going to have to assault Saint Croissant, while the Germans would have the luxury of defending it. And that is the crux of why this battle favored the Germans.

Secondly, there’s an imbalance between offense and defense inherent in c.1914 warfare. This is historical and it is one thing the Spearhead rules simulate extremely well. Whoever gets to strategic ground first will probably keep it.

A) Machine guns and heavy artillery are king at this point – and they are tools well-suited for the defense. The Germans, as they did in history, had more of both. That let them chop up every French infantry attack against them.

B) Urban terrain, wire, and entrenchments give the defender a big advantage. By getting to Saint Croissant first, the Germans could get into cover and concealment in town. Every hour the French spent waiting for a "better time" and marshaling a large-scale attack meant the Germans had more time to dig in, neutralizing the power of the French's limited MGs and 75mms to support such an attack.

C) Organization and communication favor the defender, not the attacker. In Spearhead, attackers have to create detailed and highly coordinated plans built on guesswork and exacting timetables. Defenders get to sit there and shoot.

I don't mind being the underdog. I just like knowing I'm the underdog beforehand, something I hope future games will be a little more open about. Unless this round was some kind of Kobiyashi Maru scheme on Trin's part. :)

The French had more units, and more mobile artillery. They would have been able to assault and conquer the town with a bit of more deliberation instead of the hasty half-hearted attack we saw. Similarly the Germans were forced to attack into poor terrain in pursuit of our main objective, but we did it, and would have won with a more reasonable strategy than just using whateve was on hand at the moment.

Finally, our mission was not to defend St. C., and as part of the tactical game, it was up to you to identify this and use it to your advantage. You attacked at the worst possible moment, and paid for it.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 6, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Seconding that non-playing staff officers who want to restrict themselves to one thread and give advice and opinions without having to command their own brigade are more than welcome.

You know what? I'm in. I don't have a stable enough schedule that I'm willing to command troops, but I do want to join a side and be part of the strategic talks. I'll sign up for the Entente as a non-command staff officer.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

This was a ton of fun when GH ran it, looking forward to seeing how it plays with Trin at the helm. Are there sign up sheets or anything so I can tell which side needs more commanders and join them?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Just get stuck in, both sides need as many warm bodies as they can get.

edit: any undecided players reading this, go join the Germans please

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 6, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hello this looks absolutely ridiculous and fun and I'll fight for my birth country Germany against my adoptive country France. :toot:

I also have not read the rules yet :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

LLSix posted:

This was a ton of fun when GH ran it, looking forward to seeing how it plays with Trin at the helm. Are there sign up sheets or anything so I can tell which side needs more commanders and join them?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Fight for Germany.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Can't go wrong with a pointy motherfuckin hat

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Trin Tragula posted:

makersley.com/war , send me an email via the contact page, mourn for the lost time that means I'm still struggling to get any kind of update schedule together

Sent, let me know if it reaches you.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I'd like to nominate some names for the map, (Le) Crapouillot Trin will be familiar with, it means "the little toad" and came from the nickname for trench mortars, It's remembered because it was also the name of a well known satirical trench magazine. Scinque and Boueux are further amphibians reptiles (Skink and Mudpuppy). Cagadou is a Provençal word for outhouse according to some guys I found on the net arguing about the correct translation of 'long drop'. Haigioscope is for one of Stethoscope's neighbors, it's the most unlikely 'scope' I could find, being "A small opening in an interior wall of a church, enabling those in the transept to view the high altar; sometimes called a squint". Autoscope (An instrument for viewing one's own eye) or Pseudoscope (Instrument that reverses depth perception) would be good alternates, I feel. (More scopes here.)

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 6, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Hagioscope is amazing.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I would like to join in this madness this time I would prefer the Germans but would be fine with join the french as well if either side needs more officers.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

There'll definitely be spots open for for the Germans rn, go right ahead.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I'll sign up for zee Germans, please!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Volunteers will kindly proceed immediately to their team's thread and post in it :)

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I'm keen to watch another round!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
poo poo, Trin, that's a lot of new rules. I'm really loving this new setup, it does give the scenario a feel that it's going to be entirely different from the last one.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

my dad posted:

We can always use more people. Consider this an invite to join the Entente.

If this is still open I'd be honoured.

I always wanted to follow in my dad's footsteps.

er, wait-

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

This is gonna be one hell of a battle, if the new rules are anything to go by.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Players, please be extremely careful about what you say in here; once again, different sides are being told different things and you'd hate to blow something that was supposed to be a surprise.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

spectralent posted:

If this is still open I'd be honoured.

Absolutely. Welcome aboard. :) Post in the thread, make a roll20 account, and then post the username in the thread to get GMd.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Wait are the Entente not getting their own Metal Gear?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
poo poo, did someone tell them about the orbital laser?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Oh no, it is actually going to be a cav brigade command chit joust, isn't it?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I like the added realism of the Pickelhaube giving a +1 to hit and damage in close combat

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Trin, for the summoning rituals do we count both friendly and enemy casualties, or just enemy? And do the shoggoths follow normal change of order rules, or are they fire and forget?

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Royal Navy Landships? Better hope the wind blows fair.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Hey you told us that the R'lyeh mechanics were German exclusive, why's the Entente talking about shoggoths :colbert:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

my dad posted:

Absolutely. Welcome aboard. :) Post in the thread, make a roll20 account, and then post the username in the thread to get GMd.

Already got the R20 account, same name as here. With a capital s, if it matters.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

:fireman:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Trin:

Tanganyika Campaign when

EDIT: I am honestly irrationally excited about this new scenario, it has a chance to be even more different than the 1914-1915 shift in Grey's game.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hai can I get in on this how do? :france::hf::britain:

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

feedmegin posted:

Hai can I get in on this how do? :france::hf::britain:

Sure thing. Head over to the Entente thread and follow the links there to get on roll20.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The observer thread will close to players tomorrow, on Wednesday, but I'll leave an extra day or two for last-minute signups before I start talking spoilery.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

What are the current player counts? If there's a huge gulf between Jerry and the Entente, I was considering joining instead of just observing.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
A lot more of the people who've expressed interest in signing up in this thread wanted to go Entente, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There's not a massive disparity, but we could use a few more Germans.

• Locked thread