Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

botW is the only Zelda game Iv ever liked and wanted to play more of after the tutorial it's also simultaneously beautiful and ugly as hell. It will look loving amazing on Cemu though when that sorts out.

I do think if I was a Zelda fan it'd be a 10/10, it makes me wish I'd bothered becoming one a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Jables88 posted:

*watches someone eat a sandwich*

Terrible. I'm still hungry. Utterly unengaging.

Except the sandwich looks like this:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

amotea posted:

No it doesn't. There's a ton more sprouts in a Zelda game sandwich.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

amotea posted:

Oh Jesus.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Tender Bender posted:

Seriously how do you move the icons on the home menu?

They just appear in order played.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

amotea posted:

Do you just have a turd for a face? I don't know how someone could have so many bad opinions.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Do you just have a turd for a face? I don't know how someone could have so many bad opinions.

Just saying that people responding to me can't think of anything better than 'the game doesn't look fun, but it is fun to play'.

People normally aren't that lenient to empty open world games. Uhh yeah it's empty but you can like, walk around and stuff. It's called exploring.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

amotea posted:

Just saying that people responding to me can't think of anything better than 'the game doesn't look fun, but it is fun to play'.

People normally aren't that lenient to empty open world games. Uhh yeah it's empty but you can like, walk around and stuff. It's called exploring.
It's not empty, though. What they've done with the towers are really smart, it doesn't actually mark anything on your map, so you actually have to explore to find poo poo so there's a reason to do it!

But hey, you watching some dude on Youtube sure makes you well informed so I'd better just shut up.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
If it helps, BOTW is technically my first Zelda and without any previous experience baggage I think it's fantastic. The art style is really nice and original. I wish there was more music, but the controls and abilities are awesome. I'm completely lost and wandering around bumping into people, but it's a very different sort of experience compared to "I need a mini map".

It's more, I'm a 100 year old amnesiac, where is everything, what happened to everything?! And that loneliness feels highly appropriate. I think the environment does a really good job of pulling you in and making you forget.

(In terms of previous Zeldas, I played the first dungeon in Legend of Zelda because I found it by accident and then I kept dying after I left it and didn't know where to go.)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

parallelodad posted:

They just appear in order played.

Teenage Fansub posted:

By playing the games?

That's really lame.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

sensy v2.0 posted:

It's not empty, though. What they've done with the towers are really smart, it doesn't actually mark anything on your map, so you actually have to explore to find poo poo so there's a reason to do it!

Like every game did before 2008 or so. The innovation isn't really that big. Personally I find it just more busywork to actually find what I'm supposed to find. Yes, I like the icons on my map telling me what happens where. I had the not telling you what happens were for 20 years before modern GTA-style Open World games, it's not exactly mind blowing.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Decius posted:

Like every game did before 2008 or so. The innovation isn't really that big. Personally I find it just more busywork to actually find what I'm supposed to find. Yes, I like the icons on my map telling me what happens where. I had the not telling you what happens were for 20 years before modern GTA-style Open World games, it's not exactly mind blowing.

I've also been walking and jumping in games for AT LEAST that long. You can't fool me, Nintendo.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Zelda is honestly great and if you think it's empty, you're completely wrong.

The map is so well designed that basically anywhere you go to pushes you forward to explore further, because there's a cool looking thing over yonder. If you decide to climb a mountain you have to be aware of your stamina and finding those sweet spots in which link can rest for a few seconds to keep on climbing. Sometimes there's a pretty clear path you can engage as you explore, but going out of it to find new things almost always brings a small reward (and sometimes sends you exploring for a loving hour just because hey, I'm already off the path I can always go back)

The shrines are short and sweet and do a wonderful job at breaking the pace of exploration for a while and making you think differently.

Combat is very fluid, and a decent challenge. You can rush in and perfect parry everything, but that's gonna cost you resources (hearts that translate to food, weapons, etc) so it's always smart to think outside the box on every encounter to try and find an alternative to straight up combat. The animations are great and even with the few moves available to link, you can pull out some awesome stuff when you combine them with the environment (sending an enemy rolling down a slope and following him on your glider only to attack from above by spearing him right trough feels great)

I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of goons loving a good game!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Decius posted:

20 years? Geez, with that opinion I had you pegged for like a 16 year old maybe.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I like games that don't hold my hand like a big idiot baby.

When's Dark Souls coming out for the Switch?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Also, if the Zelda fans who have been playing Breath of the Wild seem a little on-edge or cranky, give us a break, we've been losing sleep playing and thinking about this amazing game. :smug:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Decius posted:

You want the game to tell you what you're "supposed to find"? Really, for gently caress's sake you're playing the game wrong

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A collection WAS rumored, so hopefully soon.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mahoning posted:

Also, if the Zelda fans who have been playing Breath of the Wild seem a little on-edge or cranky, give us a break, we've been losing sleep playing and thinking about this amazing game. :smug:

People are complaining about what's good about the game and that's bad and wrong.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't think it would work well without dual screen support

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

A collection WAS rumored, so hopefully soon.

Don't tease me like this. Just...don't.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

amotea posted:

Watched the Cinemassacre BOTW livestream a few times, it seems to be an insanely dull open world game. Ubisoft level dull, it even has the Ubisoft towers to unlock parts of the map.

I didn't really see him do anything except typical empty open world busywork tasks. The combat was boring as well.

He did one mini dungeon that was a physics puzzle in which he had to spawn 3 ice blocks to get a ball over a ravine. :shepface:

10/10 GOTY JFC. (seriously: if this wasn't a Zelda game it would have been a 7.5/10 game that would have sold maybe 400k copies)

Aside from the 3D GTA games, this is the first open world game I've played that actually isn't boring in its ambiance. I could wander off in any given direction at any point and come across something interesting. Maybe a suspicious-looking hiding spot for a Korok, an enemy camp guarding a treasure chest, a cliff to scale to get a bird's eye view of my surroundings. It really helps that the physics engine rules, and that everything is alive.

The mini-dungeons are all pretty quick and fun so far. Do know that there's like 100 of them. They're not that interesting; most are just quick little brain games.

The combat is the only thing you're right about, basically, but I don't blame you because maybe you can't get a good feel for the game just by watching it. Maybe the person playing was just going from point A to point B, since most open world games are boring like that. Yeah, the combat is a little dated. It's Dark Souls Lite.

For some reference, the last two open world games I played were Witcher 3 and Final Fantasy XV. Zelda runs laps around FFXV, whose world was genuinely empty as gently caress; a boring-rear end Arizona desert landscape with the occasional abandoned shack. Witcher 3 was all around great, but got pretty long in the tooth near the end, especially with all the dialogue options. I found myself bee lining that game in the last third or so. I'm probably a good 30 hours into Zelda, and feel pretty equivalently excited about its world that I was with Witcher 3 at that point. Except Zelda continues to catch me off guard and surprise me with spoilery stuff.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Important news for those who never stopped believing! If you have Kid Icarus: Uprising, the 3DS stand that came with it works as a Switch stand for playing in tabletop mode while charging!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Is there a way to see how long you've played in Zelda?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Wendell posted:

Is there a way to see how long you've played in Zelda?

Playlog in Wii U version, I don't think Switch tracks total playtime though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

chaosbreather posted:

Switch is as perfect as I was suspecting. The hardware build quality feels insanely good and totally different to other Nintendo stuff.

*slides The New Nintendo Switch into dock, a tortured groan fills the air as plastic rails dig into the screen borrowed from a discarded Pop Station•

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Please do not post Zelda spoilers outside the Zelda thread.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Kinda surprised with the battery life of the Switch that Nintendo isn't offering a charger with a nearly flat USB C connection that has a 90 degree bend.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Not a Children posted:

Playlog in Wii U version, I don't think Switch tracks total playtime though.

Use the parental controls app.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Buca di Bepis posted:

*slides The New Nintendo Switch into dock, a tortured groan fills the air as plastic rails dig into the screen borrowed from a discarded Pop Station•

Hey come on now, don't bag on the Pop Station like that, I'm sure you could put a sticker on it without the adhesive denaturing its plastic

deetee
Apr 22, 2008

Did anyone in Canada buy this screen protector?

https://www.amazon.ca/Screen-Protec...Nintendo+Switch

It has no reviews, so I was hoping to get it vouched before I drop $$'s on it.

I don't want to have to resort to paying extra shipping/dues to get the amFilm one from the American side.

NormenKD
Jul 14, 2013
:siren: PSA: Don't use capital letters for the e-mail address on your Nintendo-Account. :siren:

I just had a conversation with Nintendo-Support, because i can't authenticate on the eShop or change certain profile fields (accounts.nintendo.com works fine, though).
Turns out there is a known issue with capital letters in e-mail addresses. :allears:
Can't change it myself now, as the bug keeps me from changing the address. I have to contact e-mail support now.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i never use capital letters so im safe. take THAT grammer nazis :smuggo:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Should a fairly easy code fix on their end.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

deetee posted:

Did anyone in Canada buy this screen protector?

https://www.amazon.ca/Screen-Protec...Nintendo+Switch

It has no reviews, so I was hoping to get it vouched before I drop $$'s on it.

I don't want to have to resort to paying extra shipping/dues to get the amFilm one from the American side.

I can't help you there, but I can say that the amFilm one is lovely and 100% worth it. I did manage to get some dust trapped, though, even though I did the application in a steamy room. :(

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Blazing Zero posted:

i never use capital letters so im safe.

🤔

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

NormenKD posted:

:siren: PSA: Don't use capital letters for the e-mail address on your Nintendo-Account. :siren:

I just had a conversation with Nintendo-Support, because i can't authenticate on the eShop or change certain profile fields (accounts.nintendo.com works fine, though).
Turns out there is a known issue with capital letters in e-mail addresses. :allears:
Can't change it myself now, as the bug keeps me from changing the address. I have to contact e-mail support now.

asia to english strikes again

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'be been watching a couple Twitch streamers play Zelda, and the graphics look hardcore garbage.

Thank you for reading.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's true. Twitch streamers are hardcore garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

trap sprung

• Locked thread