Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Deceitful Penguin posted:

You know, it's kinda baffling how overpopulation isn't a problem in the Stellaris universe, apparently

overpopulation being a motivator for expansion isn't the worst idea. It could at least bring conflict to the late game scenarios where everyone is either friends or in such huge alliance pacts that wars seemingly only happen when the player initiates them. Finding the balance between having a large enough work force and not being overcrowded could be interesting, but it is also entirely possible that a mechanic which forces you to expand in such a manner wouldn't actually be fun at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I feel like overpopulation would imply a level of simulation that we don't actually have. The whole pop mechanic is incredibly abstracted to the point that I'm not sure how to really get to something like population numbers and environmental impact out of it. Like, Earth is 16 tiles which means 16 pops and 16 buildings, but clearly that's nonsense in terms of what's actually supposed to go into keeping a planetary population alive and kicking. Armies come from nowhere, colony ships are loaded without disrupting your pops, etc.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
managing pops is pretty grim as it is, I can't imagine an overpopulation mechanic being fun at all

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

If they want to go that route with a future DLC it will require revamping the entire pop/planet development structure. Which I would welcome, but I haven't seen anything to suggest they want to focus on that aspect of the game.

Besides, fixing the fleet and army stuff has to be a way higher priority.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Aethernet posted:

TIME TO SPERG

The issue with the way you've framed the problem above is that the decision isn't tile vs space, it's tile vs space vs another tile. For 180 minerals I can buy two space mines or two planetary mines (which will produce the same as space mines, even without a tile bonus) plus a power plant that will pay for both mines and give me a profit of 1 energy. There are considerably more planetary tiles than there are space mining opportunities, so the decision will always come down in favour of planetary tiles unless the number of planetary tiles I can use is constrained. This can happen in two situations: at the beginning of the game when you have few colonies and your pops have not expanded to fill the available space, and when your colonies have run out of room to grow and lebensraum is the order of the day. In the first situation building space mines is worthwhile, in the second the constraint on your expansion is likely to be the number of ships you can field at one time. The latter is constrained by energy rather than mineral supply, so even if you're in a situation where you're knocking down mines to build power plants, building space mines using minerals that could otherwise be turned into battleships seems unwise. Battleships eventually turn into more planetary tioles.

This doesn't even get into planetary mines benefiting from happiness, robots, slavery and processing plants. Towards the end of the game when I have more resources than sense I'll build mines to get red of the annoying non-green numbers, but OCD is, alas, less than optimal.

Definitely don't disagree with you here. Though sadly I find that outside the early game (say, pre-cruisers) what limits my expansion isn't actually fleet power so much as it is truce timers. :smith:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Litany Unheard posted:

If they want to go that route with a future DLC it will require revamping the entire pop/planet development structure. Which I would welcome, but I haven't seen anything to suggest they want to focus on that aspect of the game.

It's the sort of thing I'd want to see in a space 4x game that's all about really digging into the thematic guts of the age of colonialism, and had every system built around the assumption of starting off in a bloated, resource-deprived hive world full of teeming masses that need to have their energies directed elsewhere just as new discoveries and horizons are reshaping the way people think. That's not Stellaris and Stellaris doesn't have to be that... although I would also welcome a huge rework of the pop/tile system.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I suppose it is inevitable that it will happen if the game lives as long as Crusader Kings. Diplomacy and war need love first though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Conskill posted:

colony ships are loaded without disrupting your pops, etc.
That always struck me as weird. When I first started playing I just assumed that when I was picking a pop from the screen that pop was actively loaded into a colony ship, I was surprised to find it didn't. That said, a colony ship moving 500 million people from one planet to another, probably not a good idea.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
How useful is flak? When should/shouldn't I mount it, and on what ships?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

GotLag posted:

Flak is hands down the best PD/Antifighter in the game, with the best range and hit rate. I always have some Flak in my fleets, just in case.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Once you get flak PD mounts are obsolete in my experience. Flak can also do decent damage to small craft as well.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

GotLag posted:

Flak good. I put 2 on my destroyers once I unlock it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Going back a bit to the doomstack issue, interesting new mod popped up: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=877873698

"Borders are defined by your military's position and move with your fleets."

I dunno about the implementation but the concept is cool. You can punt fleets around to take up space but you can only hold onto it if no one is willing to blow them up. So there's an incentive to station lots of decently sized fleets around. Seems like it would make actually using your fleets to attack feel a bit awkward though. I guess you'd take over whatever your fleet is near while in enemy territory? Then again, how does this interact with allied fleets...?

These issue aside, I do really like the idea of border projection being tied at least in part to force projection.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I don't know if it's actually optimal but my battleships end up being an XL weapon mount, a mid-section filled with flak batteries, and a large weapon (often kinetic) in the rear.

And I only make battleships come endgame; I don't see any real advantage from mixed fleets.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Litany Unheard posted:

Replace these chump mode collections of postage stamps with a geodesic grid that is directly visible on the surface of the planet itself. Bam, one to one representation of pops and buildings all up on the globe, including local climate.

:getin:

Better get ready for fighting on planets with actual armies

:unsmigghh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Only if the armies use counters!!!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I mean, it's not as terrible as some other solutions I've heard.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Litany Unheard posted:

I don't know if it's actually optimal but my battleships end up being an XL weapon mount, a mid-section filled with flak batteries, and a large weapon (often kinetic) in the rear.

And I only make battleships come endgame; I don't see any real advantage from mixed fleets.

After having fought a few Fallen Empires, I'm very skeptical of the value of XL weapon mounts, at least as long as you're fighting an AI. In a fight with an AI peer competitor (read: Fallen/Awakened Empire using XL mounts), you're better off manoeuvring so you can start the battle at close range, and on a vector where they can't bring their large mounts to bear.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
On the pop front I want space Victoria 2, with militancy, education and fuckit, even religions or some poo poo

Give me my drat space communists

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Replace these chump mode collections of postage stamps with a geodesic grid that is directly visible on the surface of the planet itself. Bam, one to one representation of pops and buildings all up on the globe, including local climate.

:getin:

Better get ready for fighting on planets with actual armies

:unsmigghh:

Of course, that leads to more questions/problems.

"Why the gently caress can't we exploit the water tiles!" Or some such.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Ocean preference gives 80 habitability on water tiles no prob.

The real brain buster to figure out how to implement under this would be gaia worlds. You want those to be generic gaia tiles, or some kinda exotic mix of tiles that looks like the cover of a yes album? I know what I'd do.

E: tell me you wouldn't be filled with joy living on this planet:

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 7, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Deceitful Penguin posted:

On the pop front I want space Victoria 2, with militancy, education and fuckit, even religions or some poo poo

Give me my drat space communists

Yeah I'd love for pops to get more Victoria level details while planets become a bit more abstracted like a victoria province/state. Also way more pie graphs.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Just wait until we get Victoria III and then mush them together. That's how coding works, right?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Crazycryodude posted:

Just wait until we get Victoria III and then mush them together. That's how coding works, right?

It's called hybridization and yes, that's how it works. You copy paste the parts you like and run it through a "compiler" which then sorts the junk code out and gives you a new version. For instance, copy and paste the sections from EU4's diplomacy model and Victoria's pop's into Stellaris, hit compile, and enjoy.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So people who play the star trek mod... are you guys actually able to run that huge galaxy smoothly? I've got to around mid game and that thing stutters like crazy. How much CPU power does that poo poo take?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Litany Unheard posted:

Just literally two pages ago we were talking about why mixed fleets are important and how your all battleship fleet would get totally wrecked by any fleet that had decent numbers of torpedo corvettes. I'd suggest you read it.

If you are saying you run away with the game so much every time you can deploy suboptimal fleets and just crush your opponents anyway that's fine, I don't really tailor my fleets or anything. However, I'd suggest since you're using XL weapons which suck, and you "don't see the advantage" of building mixed fleets, which is objectively the better tactic, I'd suggest you probably need to read up in the stats and how it all works.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Well, I mean.. they suck, but you get to shout Giga Cannon whenever they fire. Fair trade, really.

Mixed fleets are nice to have and tactically superior, but rebuilding all the dead corvettes after every battle eventually becomes a chore. I personally run 5:2:2:1 for composition. On the other hand, it is much cheaper and efficient to lose smaller ships acting as a buffer for your larger ones than it is to rebuild a fully battleship fleet. Perhaps not endgame where your empire controls a majority of the galaxy, but the physical upkeep of constantly replenishing your fleet(s) to keep them diverse does wear a player down. Fleet auto-fill was mentioned a few pages back in the thread, it would be a lot easier to maintain such a fleet and cut down on busywork.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
That's fine though. If someone tells me they run fleets with big ships because they are lazy and don't care about the optimal way of designing their fleet that's cool. I never tailor my fleets unless I'm really in trouble so that's fine.

Its more the "I don't see how it's an advantage even though it was designed specifically to be an advantage" type thing I was taking a bit of an issue with, especially as it was discussed like two pages ago explaining it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DatonKallandor posted:

The game really needs an auto-construct mode for builders to automate the mining station and research station placement in the end game, because it gets tedious as gently caress when your territory is constantly growing and mining stations keep getting destroyed by the mid-game and late-game wars. I also wouldn't mind if +1 minerals spots didn't exist anymore to make this work better, because +1 minerals is garbage clutter.

throw all your systems into a sector. they won't rebuild instantly, but they will rebuild soon enough.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

XL weapons are cool as gently caress and belong on spaceships for being totally sweet.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

GunnerJ posted:

XL weapons are cool as gently caress and belong on spaceships for being totally sweet.

They would be cool if they actually appeared on your ship as a spinal mount but they don't. So the concept is cool but that's about it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I've had literally zero troubles ever with my general fleet of Battleship/Cruiser/Cruiser. First cruiser is the workhorse, second one is my shield; first one goes for half kinetic artillery, half plasma (my battleships do the same, but they also stick an XL Lance on top), the second one is four medium flak and one medium ripper. The shield cruisers remove any possibility of both missiles AND corvettes; they just rip through them.

Also, all torpedo corvettes are sincerely the worst idea due to how ship targeting works. You want to mix them up with plasma.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

TEC Rebel Ragnarov titan. A giant gun with engines welded to it.

Actually, all of the titans and capital ships were pretty cool in Sins.

Kitchner posted:

They would be cool if they actually appeared on your ship as a spinal mount but they don't. So the concept is cool but that's about it.

Yeah. :(

That said, I agree with your previous post in that it's a bit narrow to not see advantages in a non-unitary fleet composition. There's certainly no wrong way to play, but mechanical advantages do bear out to be deciders in a pitched battle.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kitchner posted:

Was gonna make a joke reply but I actually don't know what you mean by this. :v:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Heartcatch posted:

TEC Rebel Ragnarov titan. A giant gun with engines welded to it.

Actually, all of the titans and capital ships were pretty cool in Sins.

They really were. I have a soft spot for the Kultorask, the Vasari Rebel's titan, and how great it was for devouring entire fleets while keeping itself and its allies fully repaired. :magical:

It helped that the thing itself looked like some kind of cosmic horror, and the rebels were the good guys.

The next best thing was the Human designed ultimate(?) kinetics Dreadnoughts in Sword of the Stars, which looked like this:

And yes, the six cylinders rotated as you fired asteroids at your problems. :allears:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 7, 2017

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Kitchner posted:

Just literally two pages ago we were talking about why mixed fleets are important and how your all battleship fleet would get totally wrecked by any fleet that had decent numbers of torpedo corvettes. I'd suggest you read it.

If you are saying you run away with the game so much every time you can deploy suboptimal fleets and just crush your opponents anyway that's fine, I don't really tailor my fleets or anything. However, I'd suggest since you're using XL weapons which suck, and you "don't see the advantage" of building mixed fleets, which is objectively the better tactic, I'd suggest you probably need to read up in the stats and how it all works.

Pretty sure what would actually happen with an all torpedo corvette fleet is that they would get popped halfway across a solar system and the few straggling survivors that closed on my battleships would get chewed apart by fighter swarms and flak cannons. At least that's what's been happening with every other fleet I encounter.

But unfortunately even if I lost the game does a horrible job imparting any information about what's going on in combat so I wouldn't understand how to address it without blindly redesigning or doing a bunch of online research. For example, apparently the cool endgame super weapons are actually bad! Then why are they in the game and what about them would clue me in that they don't work? And why do I keep winning combats against every enemy fleet I come across even if said fleet is supposedly 50% stronger than my own according to the game's obviously flawed calculations?

I want to have cool mixed fleets where my battleships are escorted by corvettes and destroyer screens but the way the game is right now it really doesn't matter.

GunnerJ posted:

Was gonna make a joke reply but I actually don't know what you mean by this. :v:

He means the model of the gun doesn't appear on your ship, so they don't have a cool visual element to make up for their poor mechanics.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The cool visual element is their giant laser beams tho? :shrug:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

Agreed.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

GunnerJ posted:

Point is, it would be a cooler visual element if that giant laser beam came out of a giant gun barrel in the nose of the ship, instead of a generic turret on top. That's what "spinal mount" means, a giant gun inside the ship sticking out of the front.

EDIT: Or, as mentioned a few posts above, in more extreme cases it's just that most of the ship IS the gun. Artillery cruisers in the online game Dreadnought being another example:

EDIT 2: \/ I'll have you know spaceship aesthetics is no joking matter :colbert:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Nordick posted:

Point is, it would be a cooler visual element if that giant laser beam came out of a giant gun barrel in the nose of the ship, instead of a generic turret on top. That's what "spinal mount" means, a giant gun inside the ship sticking out of the front.

I know, it's just a joke.

Actual serious question though: why are XL mounts bad on a mechanical level? Not a challenge, genuinely curious.

eta:

Nordick posted:

EDIT 2: \/ I'll have you know spaceship aesthetics is no joking matter :colbert:

...fair point!

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 7, 2017

• Locked thread