Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dessel posted:

This made me realize For Honor would actually be better if there was less of it. Not that we're drowning in content, but the game would unironically benefit from more focus. Like holy poo poo making sure the network model works well and putting all focus in that before putting all kinds of crap around the game.

The dumbass cosmetics don't really have any effect on the coding stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

League of Legends disagrees with you.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

League of Legends disagrees with you.

I have no idea what you're talking about and am not going to spend any time trying to figure it out, so....agree to disagree.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

League of Legends, the F2P Moba, is renowned for its terrible spaghetti code that causes all sorts of insane bugs. There have been tons of cases of issuess like "Characters wearing this visual accessory accidentally do 10% more damage" or "When this character is on the Blue team he takes reduced damage for some reason". Without having written the code there's no real way to know how bugs can manifest.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

League of Legends, the F2P Moba, is renowned for its terrible spaghetti code that causes all sorts of insane bugs. There have been tons of cases of issuess like "Characters wearing this visual accessory accidentally do 10% more damage" or "When this character is on the Blue team he takes reduced damage for some reason". Without having written the code there's no real way to know how bugs can manifest.

Well you have a very good point (and thanks for explaining it). I suppose my major malfunction here was assuming that Ubisoft would be competent enough to write a decent framework to hook those cosmetics up with little additional overhead. These past few weeks have proven that erroneous.

If we start getting amazing stuff like Warlord horse-head ornaments granting invincibility frames, we'll know what happened.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

To be fair League of Legends was made by a brand new company from the ground up, whereas Ubisoft is a billion dollar company that would hopefully have a more solid code base. However, considering all the hosed up poo poo in For Honor that they haven't even acknowledged (Orochi's NEVER loving GETTING KNOCKED DOWN) I'm not going to be surprised if future patch notes will say things like "Fixed a bug where Wardens would gain permanent i-Frames if the enemy team had a Raider wearing a blue/green/white color palette with certain axe heads equipped".

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I'm having a hard time putting this game down. I can barely make it to the end of one out every ten matches and I was starting to think my isp was at fault. Thanks to this thread I now blame Ubi and will have a hard time buying anything at release price from them. Atleast I can still play the campaign... for now.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mambo No. 5 posted:

I'm having a hard time putting this game down. I can barely make it to the end of one out every ten matches and I was starting to think my isp was at fault. Thanks to this thread I now blame Ubi and will have a hard time buying anything at release price from them. Atleast I can still play the campaign... for now.

Spoiler: The campaign is absolute garbage. Only play it if you want the steel reward for doing so.

Really hoping that the player base for this game doesn't die out. For all the network complaints, my connections are usually pretty decent and I'll only drop maybe 1/20 or so games even in the larger game modes like Dominion. There's a really fun game here, it would be a shame if it failed just because it couldn't overcome how Ubisoft it was despite everything else.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I don't know about PC or Xbone, but the community for PS4 is still massive. I regularly play from 4am-9am US time and there's always like 80,000 people on. I don't even know how many are on during regular hours.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Community is still good on PC and also if Siege can stay alive after it's horrible early days and then U-turn the way it has, I fully believe this can too.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The frequent matchs being dropped in 4vs4 is sorta wearing on my enjoyment, on top of the gear advantage making people into permanent glowing gold super saiyans.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The network errors are significantly more common in 4v4 matches, for obvious reasons. By comparison, duel and brawl are flawless experiences 99.9% of the time.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I actually don't run into too many network errors, but it takes like 1 min to quit every match. At least its stable enough for me to alt tab and type posts like this while I'm waiting. Still, the core game is good so I will be hopeful.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I turned off the chat and the game suddenly became infinitely more enjoyable for me.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I know the idiocity of your average "don't put resources into making cute minipets when you could be making content" arguments, but I'm not talking about simple man hours even. Just the decisions surrounding the game and its model. The game would/would've benefit a lot from a Rocket League -esque approach. I saw someone making an argument that actually developing the network model probably used more money than actually having a server infrastructure for players because people aren't cheap. I wouldn't bet on it, but it is one of the things that make me doubt the claim Ubisoft is just being cheap (I mean they are, but with regards to this? :shrug:). But who knows. At any rate the connectivity issues have been so ridiculous that they should just be feverishly building and developing the network model to work as a traditional server-client model.

My first half an hour or so of the game today was:
1. Match ended the second I entered. The screen also showed that the match had been going on for 17 THOUSAND MINUTES :psyduck:
2. Enter the third round as a dead person.
3. Get a notification that the server join/queue/whatever failed. Basic UI design and usability. DO NOT loving TELL ME THIS. STILL REQUEUE ME WITHOUT ANY PROMPTS. CHRIST.
4. One dominion match.
5. Queue for another. Get a notification joining failed.

So then I proceeded to just do duels and actually had fun. Jesus Christ. Though, for whatever reason I could no longer use my keyboard or mouse communicate/navigate menus in those duels after some point.

I probably spent around 60-70% of the first half an hour of my game time today in loving menus browsing SA with my phone due to lovely matchmaking, network model and UI design (press spacebar/A one more time, gently caress). This should be giving the developers a pause and they should be addressing this visibly. I don't even blame them for the basic premise of "pure" P2P network model (as opposed to one hosting). It's not a bad idea for fighting games. This game has more than 2 people in a match so it's not a good idea. The security concerns are no laughing matter either.

Edit: To emphasize, I love this game and want to get good at it and the core gameplay is really fun. I just hope Ubisoft keeps supporting the game and listens to the feedback.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 7, 2017

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

The network errors are significantly more common in 4v4 matches, for obvious reasons. By comparison, duel and brawl are flawless experiences 99.9% of the time.

This cannot be stressed enough.

For every person writing angry, multi-paragraph essays about their percieved problems with this game (see above), many of us are having no issues and tons of exciting, fun matches in the 1v1 and 2v2 game modes.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Spoiler: The campaign is absolute garbage. Only play it if you want the steel reward for doing so.

Literally the only thing I can do right now. Gotta get those emblems :unsmith:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

The Iron Rose posted:

On PC this is not true at all for brawl, I reckon about one in 10 games you directly run into trouble (you get disconnected or fail to join) and around 1 in 5 games some poo poo happens that fucks it up (someone else gets DC'd - host leaves, and everyone gets booted - can't form a party with your partner, etc.)

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

abigserve posted:

On PC this is not true at all for brawl, I reckon about one in 10 games you directly run into trouble (you get disconnected or fail to join) and around 1 in 5 games some poo poo happens that fucks it up (someone else gets DC'd - host leaves, and everyone gets booted - can't form a party with your partner, etc.)

I'm on PC and I don't have any of those issues in 2v2 and 1v1.

E: I'm likely hosting a lot though, personal experiences vary.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I used the Amazon Prime thing to get Twitch Plus and I think it's linked, but I didn't seem to get anything for it. What am I doing wrong?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm at the point where I feel kinda cheap playing conq or warlord since they can just stunlock someone against a wall until they run out of stamina and only assassin dodge attacks can reliably punish shove moves.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Kainser posted:

I turned off the chat and the game suddenly became infinitely more enjoyable for me.

Q.F.T. it was blessedly prescient of them to add this option. I've had everything off for like a week.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Fuzz posted:

I used the Amazon Prime thing to get Twitch Plus and I think it's linked, but I didn't seem to get anything for it. What am I doing wrong?

You have to go to Twitch and claim the rewards first (there's a twitch prime thing in the sidebar), then it'll direct you to Uplay to link your accounts, then you get your stuff.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I think this game is cool and good and fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDUb8rlrKPA

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Casnorf posted:

literally lmao at this

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Hopefully a patch to fix all the fuckered things in this game comes out by the time I'm done with the new Nier.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Ugh, I counted my wins and losses tonight. Of 16 duels, I won two of them. Everybody I fight is a parrying god while I'm still struggling to react fast enough to just block.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Despite the classes being unbalanced all that can be overcome if you can 1.) Parry 2.) Tech GBs.

If you can do those two things you can win pretty much every fight. I think the more annoying issue is the fact that because of those things the game is so defensively oriented. That's a wildly unfun play style, but I can't see any way to fix that. Maybe make it so that you can only Tech a GB twice in a set amount of time? Like you had 2 "charges" on a resetting ten-second timer or something, after that you would get some kind of fatigue for a few seconds? That would make it so that you couldn't just turtle non-stop. But that would also kind of screw over some of the more defense oriented classes, like Lawbringer.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Rainuwastaken posted:

Ugh, I counted my wins and losses tonight. Of 16 duels, I won two of them. Everybody I fight is a parrying god while I'm still struggling to react fast enough to just block.

look at it this way, even when you're good at parrying you'll still feel like you're poo poo because there are always people better than you

just do your best man, you can do it

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.
Is there a way to change the matchmaking player skill search criteria? I just bought the game have been able to play about 5 games total in 3 days. The game says high activity or what ever, but it just sits there spinning for ever. After about 20 minutes to an hour it will change from strict to all skill, or what ever. I'd just like to play; I don't care if I get stomped. (on PC mind you)

edit: maybe ill try for a steam refund. Over 2 hours now and nothing in quick match with very high activity.

Huckabee Sting fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 7, 2017

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Huckabee Sting posted:

Is there a way to change the matchmaking player skill search criteria? I just bought the game have been able to play about 5 games total in 3 days. The game says high activity or what ever, but it just sits there spinning for ever. After about 20 minutes to an hour it will change from strict to all skill, or what ever. I'd just like to play; I don't care if I get stomped. (on PC mind you)

edit: maybe ill try for a steam refund. Over 2 hours now and nothing in quick match with very high activity.

Your poo poo is super hosed up because that change in criteria is meant to happen in like a minute. Sounds like you won't be getting a refund so look into checking your NAT or making a firewall exception at least.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I decided to get a premium upgrade pack for each of the three starting classes and didn't get any helms but I'm pretty sure I got one of everything else over the three characters, is that bad luck or are they rewarded for specific things?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Anime_Otaku posted:

I decided to get a premium upgrade pack for each of the three starting classes and didn't get any helms but I'm pretty sure I got one of everything else over the three characters, is that bad luck or are they rewarded for specific things?

Gear is pretty random out of the premium packs, you just get two high ends guaranteed.

Also unless your reputation rank is 3 or higher on those characters, buying gear is not worth it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What unlocks the flaming wings/sakura/thunder bolts? Do you just buy the mythic outfit and that specific character will always have it? Or do you have to wear that mythic outfit to use it?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Capn Beeb posted:

Gear is pretty random out of the premium packs, you just get two high ends guaranteed.

Also unless your reputation rank is 3 or higher on those characters, buying gear is not worth it.

Well it is worth it... because you get get up into blue gear at least, even at prestige 1-2, which makes you a bit more competitive in 4v4 compared to if you have like, gearlevel 12 (whicH I had at prestige 2 before I started getting packs).

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Well it is worth it... because you get get up into blue gear at least, even at prestige 1-2, which makes you a bit more competitive in 4v4 compared to if you have like, gearlevel 12 (whicH I had at prestige 2 before I started getting packs).

It's not worth it in the slightest. Nobody should buy or use any crates until Prestige 3. There is never a good reason to do it. Blues will not compete with purple gear so you might as well stick with the random drops you get.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

It's not worth it in the slightest. Nobody should buy or use any crates until Prestige 3. There is never a good reason to do it. Blues will not compete with purple gear so you might as well stick with the random drops you get.

Truth.

And if you refuse to play 4v4 until you're competitive gear-wise, just grind duel and brawl. You'll simultaneously gain xp and stop sucking, so gear won't really be an issue one way or the other.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Xeremides posted:

Truth.

And if you refuse to play 4v4 until you're competitive gear-wise, just grind duel and brawl. You'll simultaneously gain xp and stop sucking, so gear won't really be an issue one way or the other.

People are overreacting on the 4v4. You are gonna get curbstomped a lot of the time if you don't play smart whether they have purple revenge gear or not. I play in all whites on all of my dudes except my main and it's totally manageable. If you're really arsey about it play elim and skirmish against AI until you're comfortable about getting your poo poo pushed in.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Casnorf posted:

This is really dumb to ask but how do you do that charge-up cross-check styled guard break with Lawbro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DarkDobe posted:

This is really dumb to ask but how do you do that charge-up cross-check styled guard break with Lawbro?

The move is called "Shove" in the moveset. IIRC you do it by hitting GB right after a dodge, like you would with the Warden's or Conqueror's shoulderbash. It can also be used directly after you successfully blocked an attack. You can then follow it up with a regular guardbreak, though that one can still be teched out of.