Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Piss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Turns out he was a prophet. Who knew? :shrug:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

do I need to have finished the original nier to play automata

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

and enjoy it properly

as in

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
i've heard you don't need to have played through the first to enjoy nier automata

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tesseraction posted:

do I need to have finished the original nier to play automata

There are some call backs for people who have but otherwise no.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sakurazuka posted:

There are some call backs for people who have but otherwise no.

Basically this, though the callbacks are really nice.

I wouldn't go out of my way to play the first game if you weren't planning to anyway, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would because it owns, you need last-gen hardware though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I started it but got too tied up in side quests to make much progress lol

heck I don't remember how far along the story I am but I was distracted with the fishing teacher's side-quests

maybe I'll just go and power through story mode

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The side quests are super ignorable and it's probably in your best interest to since some of them are typical Yoko Taro 'gently caress you's to completionists.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Phimose Knight posted:

Macross put me off after some buddies and I simulwatched the original, SDF Macross. The idol poo poo in that goes to such an extreme degree, there's romantic misunderstandings in the love triangle, no progress is made for a long rear end time (as far as the relationship drama goes), they put all the mecha stuff in the backburner, and gently caress Minmay she's real bad??? It was pretty funny when the aliens freaked the gently caress out when they saw a kiss, it's not like we missed "the point". In the end though, the whole thing was 90% bleh, with the remaining 10% being either cool action or unintentional comedy... or Max.

I heard the other Macross series put even MORE loving emphasis on the singing though :suicide:

lol all your problems with macross are reasons why I liked it, different strokes I guess.

Maybe you'd like the movie better? The animation and action in Do You Remember Love is a lot better than the series but they had to cut out a lot of the relationship stuff iirc.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

homeless snail posted:

maybe you should watch gundam instead. sounds like you went into macross expecting a war show and that's not what it is about at all. its about ordinary people trying to live their lives in the face of hardship, and in macross world that takes the form of space cities, chinese restaurants, and love songs
nooooo! Well actually we did watch the original Gundam and it was alright. Also funnily enough the best scenes in Macross were the ones with womanizer Roy Focker and his black girlfriend, because they were compelling characters. Max filled in that niche after he left the show.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

lol all your problems with macross are reasons why I liked it, different strokes I guess.

Maybe you'd like the movie better? The animation and action in Do You Remember Love is a lot better than the series but they had to cut out a lot of the relationship stuff iirc.
I can kinda see why they'd cut out some of the relationship stuff. Like the time two characters do something that progresses their relationship, then the next episode some stupid misunderstanding happens and it gets backtracked so the OTHER side of the triangle can get some scenes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Say what you will about Robotech but "Change or Die" was a good tagline to that one PS2 game.

I should go back and play that again now that I've actually seen SDF Macross.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

The side quests are super ignorable and it's probably in your best interest to since some of them are typical Yoko Taro 'gently caress you's to completionists.

I was wondering...

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Herbotron posted:

I have to go to class in three hours yet I do not regret staying up all night playing Nier, it's been too long since I've done something like this. Game is good and weird and charmingly clunky in all the right places.

i regret everything

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Could be worse, I stayed up a bit past my bedtime but not unreasonably late playing Zelda then stayed up for another two hours watching poo poo on YouTube. Work wasn't fun.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Helter Skelter posted:

Probably doesn't hurt that Aoi Yuuki was a great casting choice.
I know that it's thanks to Madoka that Aoi Yuuki got a ton of doors open to her, but it's honestly what she did in shows like Shiki or Nichibros that I actually thought "Holy poo poo! This kid's really good!" and I know that she, like HanaKana or Miyu Irino, has been doing the whole showbiz gig since childhood, but I still dig it when she's able to go from cute to goofy to creepy AF and it doesn't feel overdone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TilPoMq1Oac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrrPMEgvuw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8K_VW7EyCM

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

She was pretty good as Clementine in OverLord too, bonus points for how she died.

Has she done a voice change like Yukarin playing Rika in Higurashi? I don't think I've heard her voice an adult yet.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tesseraction posted:

She was pretty good as Clementine in OverLord too, bonus points for how she died.

Has she done a voice change like Yukarin playing Rika in Higurashi? I don't think I've heard her voice an adult yet.

I think Fremy from Rokka is an adult. And while I loving hated that anime's last episode, I think that, overall, she knocked it out of the park as Fremy.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got stuck in the completionist sidequest trap in the original Nier but do at least remember that I left off right before some sort of major plot point of no return (which is why I was doing side quests) so will probably try to finish it before I get the new one.

I love the old guy and just farting around with flowers or fishing so that was also kinda why I got lost in sidequests instead of moving the plot forward.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

A Silent Voice is showing on a cinema in Liverpool next week but it's a Wednesday so I probably won't get to go.

I'm having similar problems, since I'd want to see it with a friend, but one of us would have to travel to meet up, and nobody can get a train home afterwards because all the showings we can find are at about 9PM. That said, everything like this we've had trouble seeing before for the same reasons, such as Your Name and recent Ghibli films, all had extra showings announced a few days before they released. I don't know why the extra times always get added on such short notice, but it's worth keeping an eye on the cinemas to see if anything new pops up.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Regarding sidequests in Nier, there's a handy chart for that:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Wark Say posted:

I think Fremy from Rokka is an adult. And while I loving hated that anime's last episode, I think that, overall, she knocked it out of the park as Fremy.

Me too~

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fremmy is good.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_17760284.html

Enjoy the best wikileak, friends.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Or Flamie or whatever her name is.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

(´◉◞౪◟◉)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

( ゚д゚)、 vomits saliva

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

What a scandal. Wikileaks blew that poo poo wide open

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
WOOPwoopwowopwoopwoopwoop!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

y=ー( ゚д゚)・∵. shot my head

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Julias posted:

WOOPwoopwowopwoopwoopwoop!

:bubblewoop::bubblewoop::bubblewoop::bubblewoop::bubblewoop::bubblewoop:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is a Funimation sub worth getting if I already have Crunchyroll?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

Only if you're desperate for dubbed dragon ball. Other than that the only thing Funi has over Crunchy is a bunch of really terrible simuldubs of some current shows.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

Really depends how much you like dubs and which country you're in. Under their new deal, anything new Funimation gets they do a dub of, and Crunchyroll airs the subbed version. Some of their old shows they already had came across too, but I don't think Crunchyroll will get everything. So, basically, unless you really want dubs or want to see some back-category titles that Funi has exclusively, it's not really worth it.

EDIT: You also may want to check what stuff they have for free with ads. I was tempted to get a month or two's subscription so I could watch Yu Yu Hakusho for example, but that was already available dubbed and subbed for free with ads, which was fine by me.

smenj fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 7, 2017

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wark Say posted:

I think she's late teens, so not much older than any other. She was good tho.

You know what I mean about Yukarin right? She played both nipaa Rika and Bernkastel Rika and they have very notably different voices.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

nano desu

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

https://youtu.be/AjNPeKgLnC8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

smenj posted:

Really depends how much you like dubs and which country you're in. Under their new deal, anything new Funimation gets they do a dub of, and Crunchyroll airs the subbed version. Some of their old shows they already had came across too, but I don't think Crunchyroll will get everything. So, basically, unless you really want dubs or want to see some back-category titles that Funi has exclusively, it's not really worth it.

EDIT: You also may want to check what stuff they have for free with ads. I was tempted to get a month or two's subscription so I could watch Yu Yu Hakusho for example, but that was already available dubbed and subbed for free with ads, which was fine by me.

Basically interested in what (subbed) exclusives they have over CR. Dubbed DBZ is a nice bonus though.

• Locked thread