Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Regular Nintendo posted:

Trimming 1px in the photos app seems to make it consumable

I've cropped photos way down and still had the same issue but I'll give it a shot again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

nine times out of ten the imgur servers are overloaded or the rate limit has been reached, just keep trying or try again later

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Is it normal for the app to crash every two or three threads that I look at?

iOS, 6S, tons of empty space.

Half of the threads in my favorites can't be deleted because they can't be found, but that's probably just because they're archived or something, right?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Hey uh, is this app supposed to be taking up 18 gigs of space in my iPhone? I figured I'd ask before I deleted it in case you want more info

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Consummate Professional posted:

Hey uh, is this app supposed to be taking up 18 gigs of space in my iPhone? I figured I'd ask before I deleted it in case you want more info

Log out and log back in to clear your cache

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Consummate Professional posted:

Known issue, logging out and back in will fix it

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Awful iPhone/iPad App - Krazy Kache Klub

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I've been noticing lately that awful doesn't open YouTube links in the app anymore, tapping a video just opens it in a new tab in safari instead. Help?

On an iPad Air if it matters.

E: I should mention, the option to open YouTube links in the app is definitely on and has always been so

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 16, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

That's probably iOS deciding to default youtube links to Safari, which happens if you ever tap a youtube link, and then tap the youtube.com arrow in the status bar. Usually the way to get it back is to tap the View link for the little inset you sometimes see on the page that recommends the app, but I think the last time this happened to me those don't show up on youtube.com. Not really sure what I did to get it back, sorry.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

carry on then posted:

That's probably iOS deciding to default youtube links to Safari, which happens if you ever tap a youtube link, and then tap the youtube.com arrow in the status bar. Usually the way to get it back is to tap the View link for the little inset you sometimes see on the page that recommends the app, but I think the last time this happened to me those don't show up on youtube.com. Not really sure what I did to get it back, sorry.

That helped, actually!

The "Open In" tab wasn't there for me either. A while back I'd been watching a playlist of videos that were commentated with annotations and watching them through the browser is the only way to view them, so I'd X'd it away a long time ago. What worked was opening a video through Awful and then requesting the desktop site in safari, which still had the open in YouTube tab. Hit that and everything works properly now.

Now my only problem is really tweet-heavy threads (the trump one in cspam for example) crashing the app if there's too much going on, but I assume that's just my iPad starting to show it's age. I could always just disable embedding but I'd rather just read the few threads I follow like those in my phone or computer. Now that I've tasted the sweet nectar of embedding tweets I can't go back

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Regular Nintendo posted:

Haven't gotten this hack to work reliably.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Bug.

I deleted all my PMs from the website. Now when I go to the PM tab in the app (iPhone) it pops up an error message:

quote:

Network Error
Failed to parse message in folder,
could not find message ID (code 3)

But all the old messages that I deleted are still listed. When I click on any of them the message is empty.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Not sure if there is a known issue with iOS 8, but the app is not working properly on either of my 8.4 devices anymore. On one, it won't let me preview the post so I can actually post; on the other, I can't get past the log-in prompt.

They're both on 3.6 as that seems to be latest version the App Store will let me install.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Someone else mentioned poo poo being broken when they on iOS 8 a few pages back, I think you should update your device to 10.2, or to 10.3.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

anthonypants posted:

Someone else mentioned poo poo being broken when they on iOS 8 a few pages back, I think you should update your device to 10.2, or to 10.3.

but pirating apps jailbreaking!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ibntumart posted:

Not sure if there is a known issue with iOS 8, but the app is not working properly on either of my 8.4 devices anymore. On one, it won't let me preview the post so I can actually post; on the other, I can't get past the log-in prompt.

They're both on 3.6 as that seems to be latest version the App Store will let me install.

We only support back to iOS 9.something I think (pokeyman knows exactly how far back) but we just don't have the capability to reliably support back that far...

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Was there a trick to getting the log in to work if you logged out to clear the cache? iOS 10.4 or whatever the latest is, iPhone 6. Saw i had 4 gigs so I logged out, can't log back in. Get the password error.

At one point I entered the old password and my username (I kept inverted the fred and dead until I looked at the computer) and it seemed to take, but crashed. Now I only get the error screen. Tried reinstalling the app and restarting the phone. :(

Pfft. I posted this from my computer without logging in. Soon my cookies expired and I had to manually log in.

Now the app works again. So... I guess that was the trick

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 23, 2017

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I always crash when I try to log back in. Latest release of Awful, latest iOS, iPhone SE. Right after hitting "Log In", Awful thinks for a moment then crashes. Reopening it takes me back to the login screen after which I can log in just fine, but when I do, Awful has been completely reset. Favorite forums, all the settings are back to default. :(

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I'm having a weird issue where after changing my password using LastPass I can't log in through the app anymore. Browser works just fine on my pc and phone though. I have an iPhone 5c and my awful app is on the latest version.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Regular Nintendo posted:

Do we know the api call (or rough equivalent) to block a user

Others answered your immediate question but I'll share this fun fact: if you have someone on your ignore list who subsequently becomes a moderator or an admin, the only valid operation you can do is delete that user from your ignore list.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I've changed my password, and I can't seem to log in using the app with my new password. I tried changing it again, and the new password wouldn't work with the mobile app either, though it works in my PC's browser just fine. I feel like I must be doing something wrong, but damned if I can figure out what.

E: I'm using the app on iOS, sorry, should've clarified.

E again:

I was actually having this exact issue once I changed my password - relieved to see I'm not alone. I'm using iOS 10.2.1 (14D27) on an iPhone 6s.

I'll add it to my list!

ketchup vs catsup posted:

The app crashes every time I try and expand a subforum's list of sub-subfora.

So if I tap the plus next to debate and discussion, immediate crash. I can close an expanded list, but I can't expand it again.

Edit: iPhone 6, latest iOS and awful app. I'm also signed in on my iPad, problem doesn't occur there.

Sorry about that. Until I fix it, it's possible logging out and back in might help.

Snowy posted:

I know picture uploading comes up all the time with people having differing experiences, but here's my log for the fire:

If I download an image from a webpage, presumably a jpg, then I can upload it through Awful no problem.

If I take a photo with my iphone or or a screenshot, it almost never uploads correctly and I get an error. If I upload the picture to Imgur and download from there it'll work.

Make of that what you will. I'd love to be able to consistently upload images rather than linking to Imgur, maybe someday :allears:

Regular Nintendo posted:

More logs is ok with me, and the 1px trick is good to know too. Gives me some more ideas.

Regular Nintendo posted:

iPad question - does it drive anyone else nuts that when you try to seek forward in an embedded video, if you miss the tiny hitbox on the system video player knob thing your right-swipe opens up the sidebar? If others are bugged by that I might pull down the code again and make that right-swipe a toggleable setting.

That would drive me nuts, yes.

TsarZiedonis posted:

Is it normal for the app to crash every two or three threads that I look at?

iOS, 6S, tons of empty space.

Not normal for me at least. Any particular threads that seem crashy, or any particular pattern you can think of?

quote:

Half of the threads in my favorites can't be deleted because they can't be found, but that's probably just because they're archived or something, right?

Is there a chance it's actually deleting them and showing you an erroneous error message?

lifg posted:

Bug.

I deleted all my PMs from the website. Now when I go to the PM tab in the app (iPhone) it pops up an error message:

But all the old messages that I deleted are still listed. When I click on any of them the message is empty.

That's my bad. I didn't bother figuring out how to differentiate between "empty folder" and "something went wrong and we can't find the messages". I'll add it to my list!

carry on then posted:

We only support back to iOS 9.something I think (pokeyman knows exactly how far back) but we just don't have the capability to reliably support back that far...

9.0 I think.

Stare-Out posted:

I always crash when I try to log back in. Latest release of Awful, latest iOS, iPhone SE. Right after hitting "Log In", Awful thinks for a moment then crashes. Reopening it takes me back to the login screen after which I can log in just fine, but when I do, Awful has been completely reset. Favorite forums, all the settings are back to default. :(

I do have a note about logging in right after logging out causing a crash, so I'll +1 that. Settings disappearing when logging out is intentional; I'd meant for logging out to basically wipe the app clean. Maybe that's not the best approach though.

SC Bracer posted:

I'm having a weird issue where after changing my password using LastPass I can't log in through the app anymore. Browser works just fine on my pc and phone though. I have an iPhone 5c and my awful app is on the latest version.

That's been going around, I should probably take a look at this sooner than later. Sorry about that!

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

pokeyman posted:

Not normal for me at least. Any particular threads that seem crashy, or any particular pattern you can think of?

It's pretty much any thread after reading two or three pages, or if I switch between more then a few threads. I get about a dozen crashes a day or so.

I have an iPhone 6S with almost all of its memory free and iOS 10.2.1

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Hey pokeyman, the crash on login after changing password/logging out is coming from Core Data:

code:
'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: 'Object's persistent store is not reachable from this NSManagedObjectContext's coordinator'
Of course the stack trace is way off into the weeds so I'm not sure I'll be of much help here. All I could see is that at some point around merging the managedobjectcontext with the contextdidsavenotification causes the problem. This jog your memory?

Manifisto
Sep 18, 2013

Pillbug

SC Bracer posted:

ya I just ran into this issue when implementing the password change as recommended by the sticky

app is super useful though, thanks very much for it, I tried using the site through safari on my creaky old phone and it was, well, awful

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

zen death robot posted:

Regular Nintendo hates Baloogan and is trying to hack the forums to ignore him and I'm going to have to ban for forums fuckery

The plot thickens.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zen death robot posted:

Regular Nintendo hates Baloogan and is trying to hack the forums to ignore him and I'm going to have to ban for forums fuckery

Settle down beavis

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Can the cache be capped or a delete cache button added? I don't like having to delete this app every other week.

Great app regardless, and I appreciate the hard work. Its my most used app according to my battery life screen. :blush:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Snuffman posted:

Can the cache be capped or a delete cache button added? I don't like having to delete this app every other week.

Great app, but this recent cache ballooning out of control thing is getting ridiculous.

Log out and log back in.

Doesn't seem to save your settings if you log out, though.

They need to fix both of those. Maybe a 'clear cache' button in Settings > [apps section] Awful? But I have no idea the technical issues behind clearing cache.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

Log out and log back in.

Simpler than deleting, I suppose. Thanks!

Maybe its more of an "iOS thing" and probably a better question for the iphone thread, but I've noticed with recent iOS versions my nemesis for space went from being "Other" to "Documents and Data".

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I've been looking into both but I have to admit I know too little about the underlying functionality to be of much use yet.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

If you see Lowtax's newest announcement thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

He seems to want to move to a different service for the forums. I'm completely dumb about all of this: would this break the Awful app and require a full redesign?
I get that Lowtax is all about ignoring that this app exists and prefers making a mobile-friendly version of the forums to just browse using Safari or whatever, but I really prefer using the Awful app. I'm on it like all the time.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
This isn't really a big deal to me but I'm just curious about something: why does the app sometimes get an SSL error on my school's wifi and other times works fine? If I turn wifi off and then on again the error goes away but comes back randomly.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

JazzFlight posted:

If you see Lowtax's newest announcement thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

He seems to want to move to a different service for the forums. I'm completely dumb about all of this: would this break the Awful app and require a full redesign?

1. Yes.
2. There are existing Xenforo mobile apps.
3. Judging by past performance, this will never happen anyway.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Will the transition happen before or after the switch to Titan?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

withak posted:

Will the transition happen before or after the switch to Titan?
Yes.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
im actually the guy who has been working on rewriting the forums in vrml since 2009

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

TBeats posted:

This isn't really a big deal to me but I'm just curious about something: why does the app sometimes get an SSL error on my school's wifi and other times works fine? If I turn wifi off and then on again the error goes away but comes back randomly.

Your school probably is man in the middling you and inspecting your SSL traffic. When you are on the wifi on a PC, check out the certificate chain. It will probably have a weird cert chain where the CA or intermediate is from your school or a security/proxy provider like WebSense, McAfee, Cisco. If your laptop doesn't give SSL errors then something trusted the CA. Your phone didn't get that trust so you can occasionally get SSL errors because you don't fully trust the certificate chain, but it'll only be on their wifi where they can intercept your traffic.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Snuffman posted:

Can the cache be capped or a delete cache button added?

I have a feeling it's already on the list, but I would like to second the request of a delete cache button, instead of logging in and out. I swear it was possible and then one day it disappeared :tinfoil:.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just got an update to a couple of apps (Twitter and something else) which added a clear cache function to their in-app settings. Is this a new thing that can now be added to apps?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Not ours because I believe ours is a core data store the OS has no concept of it to be able to provide something like that without substantial logic on our part. All I know about core data is it can store things and something something it breaks a lot. I'm learning as I go but this is tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Okay, thanks for the explanation. Hope you crack it one day!

• Locked thread