Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

sellouts posted:

you're a dick

Keep your loving stick and arms down.

I wear a cage but gently caress that attitude.

People who don't wear cages = idiots

People who don't keep their stick down = assholes

People who are unskilled, or even skilled and accidentally cause injury = abundant

These things aren't mutually exclusive

titanium posted:

Highschool USA or Canada? USA you still have to wear a cage unless the league's not under USA Hockey rules. Having coached a fair amount of highschool hockey in MN I can tell you even though there's some mythos around our states talent pool there's plenty of kids at the single A level that would fit that description.

Canada you have to wear a cage / full face protector until Major Junior. All high school hockey requires full mask as well. University hockey can have half visor for men's, but think women's requires full face protector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

never said they are mutually exclusive, thanks stripes

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

Welp that settles that debate: next game I play I'm gonna out with nothing but a cup.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Do whatever you want. I don't care.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Where can I find equipment that makes me invincible?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Hockles posted:

Do whatever you want. I don't care.

I just wanna play the hockeys :sigh:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Bootcha posted:

Where can I find equipment that makes me invincible?

Drink more and/or meth should do the trick.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I've had way too many neck things to feel safe just cause I have a cage on. Anything to make my head whip back kind of fast and there's a good chance I'll be in pain and stiffness for a week or two.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

keep your necks down

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

This just in: 4-on-4 on half-ice (rink width) is extraordinarily tight.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Just signed up for the Spring sessions of the same two classes I'm currently taking. :toot:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

This just in: 4-on-4 on half-ice (rink width) is extraordinarily tight.

Rink I play at is organizing a summer cross ice league this year.. divide the rink into three rinks, 3v3 with 7 people to a team plus goalie, 25 minute nonstop game, three games in 80 minutes.

It should be pretty badass.

Goalies are usually puddles of pain at the end of it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bootcha posted:

Also a reminder, don't shoot the puck above waist height at the net when players aren't wearing chest/shoulder padding because

There is a dude who goes off on people every loving week at our rink because he doesn't wear *some kit* as he can't be arsed to wear all of it and then inevitably gets hit there. Last week it was not wearing shinpads and getting pissy because a dude tried to pokecheck him, the guys stick bounced off his stick and into his knee.

Honestly gently caress those people, wear your drat gear.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If anyone defends not wearing shinpads in this thread we know it's all over.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

we once got to the rink so late pleads considered only wearing skates. true story.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

We got to the rink so late I was already -3 and halfway through serving a trip

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Yeah, I get not opting to not wear shoulder pads if its non-contact or just a practice or pickup or whatever... but shins?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

If I'm playing against someone that's not wearing shinpads I'm probably going to hurt them out of principle

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Last night I was trying to clear a guy from in front of our net. They fed the puck back to the point to their 6'5" defenseman who has a ridiculous slapshot.

When I realized I couldn't move the guy from in front of the net, I decided to use him and "guided" him right in front of the shot without his knowledge. He caught the slapshot right in the gut and keeled over. Another of their guys at a later point in the game skated in hard on the goalie and did a little spin-o-rama in the crease, caught a back edge as he was going backwards and smashed the back of his head on the ice. I'm pretty sure he was out for a bit but we got a penalty for cross checking though he was easily beyond the reach of the nearest player but because he got "hurt" it results in an automatic penalty.

We lost 5-2 but it was a weird game full of strange penalties and we were playing the top team in the league with a .875 win percentage.

I hate that team.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Verman posted:

but because he got "hurt" it results in an automatic penalty.

somebody get stripes to explain this

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Here, let me throw up the bat signal

refs are poo poo

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
We've been told a few different things in the past by our USA hockey refs.

Situation 1 -----

A few months back, one of our skaters was taking the puck through the neutral zone. Got tripped, (refs arm went up to call the trip) as he was falling, he tweaked his leg causing a cramp. He went down and instantly grabbed his leg yelling "It's a cramp, my leg is cramping". We helped him up and I could tell he was in pain but he says it happens occasionally and he'll be fine. He went to the bench and took a few shifts off to let it pass. The guy from the other team even asked him if he was okay and apologized, our guy told him it was a cramp and nothing that he did wrong, no reason to apologize.

The guy that tripped our player got a 2 minute penalty for the trip and if I remember correctly either a 10 minute major or a game misconduct because it resulted in an injury. I think it was the game misconduct. Everyone, including our team was puzzled and confused as we all saw that it wasn't malicious or anything and just expected a 2 min trip.

Our guy stepped out onto the ice after missing a few shifts. The refs called a 2 min penalty on us and told our "injured" player to leave the rink and he is out of the game. We were told that if a penalty results in an injury, the penalized player gets extra time or game misconduct, AND the injured player can't return to the game. This was a first in my experience with any of these rules.

-----

Situation 2 -----

Last night, opposing forward was charging hard to our crease and then spins as he passes the crease because the puck changed direction. Our guy was trailing him but more than an arms length behind him. As the guy spins half way around, he catches an edge going backwards and topples like a tree. He falls straight back and slams the back of his head on the ice. It was weird, the other team didn't scream or yell as if it was a malicious penalty on our guy because he didn't even touch him and there wasn't much in the way of contact. Their guy was laying on his back motionless for a while before he was helped off the ice by his teammates. I guarantee that guy got a concussion.

The ref called a cross checking double minor (2-2min) penalty on our player whose hands were below his own waist at the time the guy fell. He explained to us that because it resulted in an injury, it was a double minor. He said that it wasn't intentional or malicious so he saw no reason for a game misconduct.

Funny thing is that the guy had to be helped off the ice, resulted in a penalty (and an extra) and then jumped back into the play a shift or two later and was allowed to skate.

I have no loving clue what the rules are as far as penalties resulting in an injury but it doesn't seem like our refs in this league are all on the same page.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The refs in my league start calling more penalties if you're ahead by 3 goals to "even up the game". I got called for interference while trying to get body position in a corner maybe 5 seconds after I lost possession of the puck. I was trying to work in on the guy and apparently I was impeding his progress (I thought establishing body positioning was okay???). Ref admitted that it was a borderline call after the game but I didn't fuss about it too much.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only weirdness I see from refs in the league I'm in now is that they won't call poo poo on ringers. If you're head and shoulders above the skating level of everyone else, people can get away with murder taking you down.

On one hand I like the idea of some frontier justice, but in general I wish they'd just call the game like they're supposed to because it comes with a downside.. an angry fast skater is eventually going to pop his cork and take a serious run at someone. If there's any motivation at all to deal with ringers, report it to the commissioner and make him handle it.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I thank the refs and shake their hand after every game in the hopes that they'll like me and remember when I do end up tripping the poo poo out of someone.

Haven't gotten called yet!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I know this means I'm gonna get hit in the face like this week but I havent been hit in the face by an errant stick or puck since I stopped wearing a cage the minute I turned 18. So 13 years of playing hockey on a regular basis.

Now I've been punched in the face, or crosschecked (last week) and I've also once slammed my face into the ice on a weird play but other then that I cant remember a time where I wished I had a cage or that the visor "saved me".

Im sure it helps that I'm tall, I think a lot of it is awareness as well, being aware of whats going on and when a stick or the puck might come up and being ready for it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The average nerd in this thread is 5'7" and 145 and not built like a brick shithouse like you are

Also it's been like 5 years since we've skated

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Buncha twinks and manlets in this thread.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft I haven't been near 145 in 20 years.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

xzzy posted:

Pfft I haven't been near 145 in 20 30 years.
:burger:

z0331 posted:

I thank the refs and shake their hand after every game in the hopes that they'll like me and remember when I do end up tripping the poo poo out of someone.

Samesies - and since I'm only a couple years in I'll also ask them (nicely) about rules and poo poo if I have a question and 99.9% of them are cool and explain it all chill except for that .1% weird tight rear end dude who calls player-in-the-crease stoppages every five goddamn seconds and too-many-mens if your skate even looks like it's gonna touch the ice when the other two d-men are tripping over themselves trying to get through the gate to the bench.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

sellouts posted:

The average nerd in this thread is 5'7" and 145 and not built like a brick shithouse like you are

5'6" :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty sure I've mentioned it a million times but my favorite ref is the dude who will snag a player's stick off the bench and take shots on our goalie to help warm him up.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Verman posted:

Last night I was trying to clear a guy from in front of our net. They fed the puck back to the point to their 6'5" defenseman who has a ridiculous slapshot.

When I realized I couldn't move the guy from in front of the net, I decided to use him and "guided" him right in front of the shot without his knowledge. He caught the slapshot right in the gut and keeled over. Another of their guys at a later point in the game skated in hard on the goalie and did a little spin-o-rama in the crease, caught a back edge as he was going backwards and smashed the back of his head on the ice. I'm pretty sure he was out for a bit but we got a penalty for cross checking though he was easily beyond the reach of the nearest player but because he got "hurt" it results in an automatic penalty.

We lost 5-2 but it was a weird game full of strange penalties and we were playing the top team in the league with a .875 win percentage.

I hate that team.

That's dumb as poo poo - rules like that are to encourage safe play, not to make up a penalty when there isn't any contact

sellouts posted:

somebody get stripes to explain this

Nah that's fuckin stupid

Verman posted:

We've been told a few different things in the past by our USA hockey refs.

Situation 1 -----

A few months back, one of our skaters was taking the puck through the neutral zone. Got tripped, (refs arm went up to call the trip) as he was falling, he tweaked his leg causing a cramp. He went down and instantly grabbed his leg yelling "It's a cramp, my leg is cramping". We helped him up and I could tell he was in pain but he says it happens occasionally and he'll be fine. He went to the bench and took a few shifts off to let it pass. The guy from the other team even asked him if he was okay and apologized, our guy told him it was a cramp and nothing that he did wrong, no reason to apologize.

The guy that tripped our player got a 2 minute penalty for the trip and if I remember correctly either a 10 minute major or a game misconduct because it resulted in an injury. I think it was the game misconduct. Everyone, including our team was puzzled and confused as we all saw that it wasn't malicious or anything and just expected a 2 min trip.

Our guy stepped out onto the ice after missing a few shifts. The refs called a 2 min penalty on us and told our "injured" player to leave the rink and he is out of the game. We were told that if a penalty results in an injury, the penalized player gets extra time or game misconduct, AND the injured player can't return to the game. This was a first in my experience with any of these rules.

-----

Situation 2 -----

Last night, opposing forward was charging hard to our crease and then spins as he passes the crease because the puck changed direction. Our guy was trailing him but more than an arms length behind him. As the guy spins half way around, he catches an edge going backwards and topples like a tree. He falls straight back and slams the back of his head on the ice. It was weird, the other team didn't scream or yell as if it was a malicious penalty on our guy because he didn't even touch him and there wasn't much in the way of contact. Their guy was laying on his back motionless for a while before he was helped off the ice by his teammates. I guarantee that guy got a concussion.

The ref called a cross checking double minor (2-2min) penalty on our player whose hands were below his own waist at the time the guy fell. He explained to us that because it resulted in an injury, it was a double minor. He said that it wasn't intentional or malicious so he saw no reason for a game misconduct.

Funny thing is that the guy had to be helped off the ice, resulted in a penalty (and an extra) and then jumped back into the play a shift or two later and was allowed to skate.

I have no loving clue what the rules are as far as penalties resulting in an injury but it doesn't seem like our refs in this league are all on the same page.

That just sounds like lovely officiating

Situation 1 is just a fabrication and sounds like the idiot ref bounced your dude because he felt bad about bouncing their dude for no reason, unless you have a weird league.

Situation 2 is also stupid, double minor for cross checking doesn't exist and if there was no cross check it can't cause injury and thus the rest of the ref's argument is also stupid

Vargatron posted:

The refs in my league start calling more penalties if you're ahead by 3 goals to "even up the game". I got called for interference while trying to get body position in a corner maybe 5 seconds after I lost possession of the puck. I was trying to work in on the guy and apparently I was impeding his progress (I thought establishing body positioning was okay???). Ref admitted that it was a borderline call after the game but I didn't fuss about it too much.

I mean, poo poo like this explains a lot about why people hate refs

I don't do this and most of the guys I ref with don't so vOv

z0331 posted:

Haven't gotten called yet!

This is the smart way to deal with refs

Stupid or good they're inherently outside of your control, but if you're nice to them and see the same guys a lot they probably will give you the benefit of the doubt because they are human and used to being treated like poo poo by everyone

6'0 and 215 :colbert:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

sellouts posted:

Don't doxx me bro.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Situation 2 is also stupid, double minor for cross checking doesn't exist and if there was no cross check it can't cause injury and thus the rest of the ref's argument is also stupid

It exists as long as the ref calls it :smuggo:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kalenn Istarion posted:

That's dumb as poo poo - rules like that are to encourage safe play, not to make up a penalty when there isn't any contact

Nah that's fuckin stupid

That just sounds like lovely officiating

Situation 1 is just a fabrication and sounds like the idiot ref bounced your dude because he felt bad about bouncing their dude for no reason, unless you have a weird league.

I mean, poo poo like this explains a lot about why people hate refs

I don't do this and most of the guys I ref with don't so vOv

This is the smart way to deal with refs

Stupid or good they're inherently outside of your control, but if you're nice to them and see the same guys a lot they probably will give you the benefit of the doubt because they are human and used to being treated like poo poo by everyone

6'0 and 215 :colbert:

5'11 and 220 :colbert:

:negative: There is a reason I play D! :negative:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I played defense again last night. Had a few opportunities to walk the puck in and make plays. I was able to quarterback the play in their zone a few times from the point, made a slap pass to the back door that redirected just missing the far post.

I also had a loose puck walk right to me which I stepped up on, deked an approaching player and got a good hard wrist shot on net right over the ear of the goalie. Unfortunately it rang the crossbar and went into the netting.

Frustrating game as the refs were calling an insanely tight game though missing a lot of obvious penalties and the calls were incredibly one sided. Just a bunch of weird calls and rarely do I feel that officiating ruins a game but in this instance it completely affected the outcome of a close game.

We lost 3-1 but we kept their ringer off the board so I feel good about that.

Also at one point, we were in the offensive zone on a face-off and the ref was getting ready to drop the puck but he was standing on the inside of the circle. The opposing goalie was yelling for him to be on the outside. He looks up, changes sides and the play resumes.

We all got a good chuckle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shutting down the best player on the other team is pretty much the best part of hockey.

Except maybe setting up a teammate for a goal.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

No kidding. I dont spend much time in LA anymore, still have gear there though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The other guy in my lesson didn't show up again this week, so I got another 1on1 lesson. Coach said that I'm progressing so well, I probably scared the other guy away. :smugdog:

Unsurprisingly, I make the most progress on Wednesdays because of the solo time with a coach. My C-Cuts with my left foot going backwards are improving a lot. My sharp turns improved a ton when coach told me to literally get as low as I possibly could when doing them. I'm also finally starting to learn how to do a proper hockey stop, rather than just using my front skate only to stop to each side. There are so many days when I just get frustrated as hell because it seems like I'm not getting better, but then days like today really boost my confidence.