Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

No credit to dct?

e: ugh, new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Robot Randy posted:

i think he got banned for doxxing someone around the time the schmorky shitfest went down

AFAIK he was demodded but he's still around. Someone made a QCS thread recently about it and most of the thread was him and one other regular from that subforum smugly talking about how trolling Facebook to find a phone number so they can call the parents of a disabled kid doesn't technically count as doxxing because it's totally publically available information you guys! and equally dumb poo poo.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
What FluffieDuckie has done (that I've seen) that's been really effective for spicing things up around BYOB has been that she has "deputized" a new Idiot King on a near monthly basis, which usually results in fun activity threads and artistic joke-probations.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Kelp Me! posted:

AFAIK he was demodded but he's still around. Someone made a QCS thread recently about it and most of the thread was him and one other regular from that subforum smugly talking about how trolling Facebook to find a phone number so they can call the parents of a disabled kid doesn't technically count as doxxing because it's totally publically available information you guys! and equally dumb poo poo.

Imo this is eventually going to be one of those situations like how the old Low Carb Megathread is by now recognized to have been an extremely stupid and potentially harmful place, and the people "trolling" it were a voice of reason. I can get not wanting to shut the whole forum down, but condoning DS basically serving that kid up is just straight up idiotic.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

No credit to dct?

Well, I liked him.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

artistic joke-probations.
Rename Leper's Colony to this, tia.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Grandmother of Five posted:

Imo this is eventually going to be one of those situations like how the old Low Carb Megathread is by now recognized to have been an extremely stupid and potentially harmful place, and the people "trolling" it were a voice of reason. I can get not wanting to shut the whole forum down, but condoning DS basically serving that kid up is just straight up idiotic.

It should be noted that the thread in question was D-Smart and 1 other guy vs. like 30 other people telling them how pathetic and hosed-up their dumb poo poo was so I think awareness is pretty high that the Star Citizen subforum is easily the most toxic, hosed up spot on these here dead gay forums

like OK the race forum, D&D, whatever, they're all super-insular and you may end up on a poo poo list or whatever for posting in there, but the SC subforum is the only one on here where the threat of some sweaty goon digging up your personal information because he doesn't like a post you made is a real possibility.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kelp Me! posted:

The timeline iirc was the admins noticed Derek posting what was basically one of his blog posts that outed a scammer posing as a teenage Norwegian girl, who came to SA to "defend" the game. It included links to personal facebooks and poo poo, so even if it could be considered a funny takedown in-context it still included personal information and wasn't appropriate for a forum mod to do at all. He got banned and demodded for that. Then he made some "triumphant" return with a big post about how people in their discord chat convinced him that he could maintain the moral high ground if someone else rebought his account for him.

e- oh and the original scammer-outing post included some hilarious bit about Derek recognizing a scammer because he has a genius brain for recognizing patterns and algorithms

Nuns with Guns has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Mar 7, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

The timeline iirc was the admins noticed Derek posting what was basically one of his blog posts that outed a scammer posing as a teenage Norwegian girl, who came to SA to "defend" the game. It included links to personal facebooks and poo poo, so even if it could be considered a funny takedown in-context it still included personal information and wasn't appropriate for a forum mod to do at all. He got banned and demodded for that. Then he made some "triumphant" return with a big post about how people in their discord chat convinced him that he could maintain the moral high ground if someone else rebought his account for him.

o yeah lol, that's the best part, all his posts always reek of the smarmiest moral high ground bullshit possible. It'd be funny to see someone so hopelessly delusional except for the fact that he basically has an army of 4Chan-level sycophants ready to start trawling LinkedIn profiles on his command

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
It gets dangerously close to "touching the poop" and importing drama and whatever, and "forums war" stuff is really stupid imo, but DS really did single out a disabled kid for people to harass.

It might be poor form to link one of your own posts, but if people are interested in seeing whether the "Derek Smart doxxed a disabled kid" piece of forum drama/bs is an actual thing or faked outrage, I think my post here does an okay job at showing it; https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807536&pagenumber=9&perpage=40#post468789657

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I recall byob being just goofy fun when I joined then it went through this extremely whiny period for a while, and now it seems okay again. I don't really hang out there often enough to know what caused what, mainly because of the second time period I mentioned.

Also did anyone happen to save Amalgoon? It was an image from a thread years back where the premise was to photoshop goons together into horrible akira-esque monstrosities, but the OP's effort was so loving good/horrifying no one ever added more to the thread.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Grandmother of Five posted:

It gets dangerously close to "touching the poop" and importing drama and whatever, and "forums war" stuff is really stupid imo, but DS really did single out a disabled kid for people to harass.

It might be poor form to link one of your own posts, but if people are interested in seeing whether the "Derek Smart doxxed a disabled kid" piece of forum drama/bs is an actual thing or faked outrage, I think my post here does an okay job at showing it; https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807536&pagenumber=9&perpage=40#post468789657

That's the thread I was talking, about, thanks. You can really see how Derek seems to genuinely believe he is a valiant crusader in the battle for dumb peoples' ill-spent money

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Kelp Me! posted:

o yeah lol, that's the best part, all his posts always reek of the smarmiest moral high ground bullshit possible. It'd be funny to see someone so hopelessly delusional except for the fact that he basically has an army of 4Chan-level sycophants ready to start trawling LinkedIn profiles on his command

There wasn't a disabled kid, just some dude in a wheelchair who was doxxing Smart and posting some seriously heinous slander about him.

Like, the SA thread is terrible but Star Citizen manages to somehow be worse. The thread has just sort normalized being completely obsessed with a game that anybody left with money invested in it is completely beyond caring about.

It always starts off with a crusade and ends up with a circle jerk.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

There wasn't a disabled kid, just some dude in a wheelchair

:crossarms:

e: lol please tell me how the screenshots he uses as justification to doxx a disabled kid count as "doxxing Derek Smart and saying heinous poo poo about him"

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=67&perpage=40#post451999402

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Mar 7, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Wait was it actually a kid? I thought it was a dude in a wheelchair that everyone was just saying was a kid because it made Derek look more unhinged

Gumbel2Gumbel has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Mar 7, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Wait was it actually a kid? I thought it was a dude in a wheelchair that everyone was just saying was a kid because it made Derek look more unhinged

According to Derek's own totally-not-doxxing AKA tracking down a newspaper clipping about the kid, yes, he is a severely disabled, motorized-wheelchair-bound high school student. Hence the "don't make me call your dad!!!" claim.

I don't want to post it myself, but D_Smart linked to a twitter post with the newspaper clipping. Someone who unironically has to note "that's him in the wheelchair" when linking to an article about a high school robotics club doesn't need any help from others in looking unhinged

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Kelp Me! posted:

According to Derek's own totally-not-doxxing AKA tracking down a newspaper clipping about the kid, yes, he is a severely disabled, motorized-wheelchair bound high school student. Hence the "don't make me call your dad!!!" claim.

That makes it so much worse

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
New drama developing,

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812676&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

You really don't have to dig that deep to realize that D_Smart is an obsessive lunatic who keeps detailed catalogs of every perceived slight against him. That one post that I and Grandmother of Five linked shows that pretty well IMO (hint - it's the fact that he has individual PDFs for people who he doesn't like and creates cited lists of the offenses to parade around like people actually give a gently caress)

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

The Star Citizen thread gets really weird when the company making their fake space game doesn't publically gently caress something up. If an extended period of time passes then the thread starts attacking itself and getting even more obsessive than usual.

That said, Derek doing the stupid thing and getting banned for it was deserved and happened months ago. The thread in general doesn't go crazy trying to doxx people all the time, not sure what that is about.

90% of it is screen shots of reddit posters imagining an alternate universe in video game form and goons laughing about it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
It's bad when forum mods continually probate and mock someone for telling people not to doxx people while the forum doxxes people imo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

It's bad when forum mods continually probate and mock someone for telling people not to doxx people while the forum doxxes people imo

it's not doxxing gaaaaawd it's all publically-available information, and yes, the people who paid money for this fake game deserve to know when a junior-level computer janitor leaves that company and gets another job - an actual thing that has been said by D_Smart and others from that subforum

to clarify, they are so obsessed with this poo poo that they honestly believe that a low-level programmer getting another job somewhere else is news-worthy, as it's all part of a grand conspiracy proving that the company is hemorrhaging money!!!!11

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

There was one guy who would come in every few pages and copy paste a paragraph about how doxxing is bad and people shouldn't do it. I never saw anyone disagree.

If that is who you are talking about I think he was being probated for posting white noise, but then you could say that about the entire thread. :shrug:

I don't really keep up with it anymore.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Meridian posted:

The Star Citizen thread gets really weird when the company making their fake space game doesn't publically gently caress something up. If an extended period of time passes then the thread starts attacking itself and getting even more obsessive than usual.

That's a general thing with mock threads, not just here but anywhere I guess. People go crazy if there's not a constant stream of poo poo to stare at. Then they decide to start making GBS threads everywhere to make up for it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Yeah, that's definitely drama rising up.

TL;DR version for people not clicking, the power-crazed (and possibly other forms of crazed) mod of GRS posted a sticky list of all the people she felt personally slighted by as being banned in the subforum. Cue a GBS thread about it that's a combination of white tears, troll-baiting, and people smugly talking about how they never post or read there anyways.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah but the funny thing is the real drama is unfolding as less of an indictment of that mod/subforum and more an endless procession of, as you mentioned, white tears, troll-baiting and people who think anyone gives a poo poo that they don't post or read that subforum. Also there are people who seem genuinely confused why posting threads like "what's the most woke animal" in a subforum specifically created for non-bullshit discussion is frowned upon.

Like many epic saga threads, the initial point of the thread is quickly lost as goons come out of the woodwork to reveal their own lovely personality traits. That QCS thread about Star Citizen is the same thing - someone brings up a valid issue and a couple of SC goons fall all over themselves to demonstrate just how lovely they really can be (bonus points if they act confused about why people are calling them out for their behavior)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It's very hard for me to see grs as a positive when what I saw of their beef with neuroliminal was telling him he was privileged for having a childhood of living in his car and then gave him a gross homophobic custom title.

That seems really fair. But since I'm complaining about it I must be in the wrong too, grs wins again.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kelp Me! posted:

Yeah but the funny thing is the real drama is unfolding as less of an indictment of that mod/subforum and more an endless procession of, as you mentioned, white tears, troll-baiting and people who think anyone gives a poo poo that they don't post or read that subforum. Also there are people who seem genuinely confused why posting threads like "what's the most woke animal" in a subforum specifically created for non-bullshit discussion is frowned upon.

Like many epic saga threads, the initial point of the thread is quickly lost as goons come out of the woodwork to reveal their own lovely personality traits. That QCS thread about Star Citizen is the same thing - someone brings up a valid issue and a couple of SC goons fall all over themselves to demonstrate just how lovely they really can be (bonus points if they act confused about why people are calling them out for their behavior)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

as an actual beard-haver I can tell you that is a very satisfying thing to be able to do IRL

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Hemingway To Go! posted:

and then gave him a gross homophobic custom title.

I believe the theory that the horrible TGRS custom titles aren't coming from them but from someone who wants TGRS to look even worse.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kelp Me! posted:

as an actual beard-haver I can tell you that is a very satisfying thing to be able to do IRL

Doesn't she get mad when you stroke her in public though?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Push El Burrito posted:

someday you, too, will be able to touch a woman without her running away screaming/dry heaving

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Kelp Me! posted:

someday you, too, will be able to touch a woman without her running away screaming/dry heaving

Let's not be too hasty here , this is SA

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Scudworth posted:

I believe the theory that the horrible TGRS custom titles aren't coming from them but from someone who wants TGRS to look even worse.

I dunno, someone who's managed to make a list *that long* of "Ban on sight" is probably capable of putting out those titles.

But at the same time, goons are loving terrible, so I also would believe they're holding the world's stupidest grudge and trying to make that mod look bad. It's a real catch-22.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Push El Burrito posted:

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, that's definitely drama rising up.

TL;DR version for people not clicking, the power-crazed (and possibly other forms of crazed) mod of GRS posted a sticky list of all the people she felt personally slighted by as being banned in the subforum. Cue a GBS thread about it that's a combination of white tears, troll-baiting, and people smugly talking about how they never post or read there anyways.

this is why GBS is the absolute worst place. Even here the ableist claim that the mod is mentally ill is simply reiterated as a probability when all the moderator did is threaten to ban people from posting in the sub-forum due to their lovely trolling/unfunny/racist posting. There is no "saga" or even vaguely interesting drama there, just a sad, impotent white supremacist circle jerk tautologically reinforcing a strawman boogeyman of the scary crazy black reverse-racist (lol) mod.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Huggybear posted:

this is why GBS is the absolute worst place. Even here the ableist claim that the mod is mentally ill is simply reiterated as a probability when all the moderator did is threaten to ban people from posting in the sub-forum due to their lovely trolling/unfunny/racist posting. There is no "saga" or even vaguely interesting drama there, just a sad, impotent white supremacist circle jerk tautologically reinforcing a strawman boogeyman of the scary crazy black reverse-racist (lol) mod.

I didnt get past the rule section honestly :shrug: dont see why everyone is so wound up about what looks like unfun.

your avatar says gently caress hockey. Hostile.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

No credit to dct?

e: ugh, new page
He was before my time so I don't really know anything about what he did.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Scudworth posted:

bigots in D&D were buying gross titles before TGRS existed

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I Said No posted:

Also did anyone happen to save Amalgoon? It was an image from a thread years back where the premise was to photoshop goons together into horrible akira-esque monstrosities, but the OP's effort was so loving good/horrifying no one ever added more to the thread.

yeah that thing is fuckin hideous

somewhere theres an animated .gif but I couldnt find it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bud K ninja sword posted:

I didnt get past the rule section honestly :shrug: dont see why everyone is so wound up about what looks like unfun.

your avatar says gently caress hockey. Hostile.

Cause most people who troll GRS think dropping usual blatant racist stereotypes is funny because it's seriously frowned upon.

It's just plain not funny.