Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kashuno posted:

You can get rubies, sapphires, and diamonds from them at least from the Igneo Talus' but there are other creatures with health bars that aren't them.

Speaking of those guys, is there a good trick to fighting the ones where the ore weak spot isn't on top? The ones where it's on top are really easy--just climb up and beat on the weak spot--but when it's on their back or something I have a hell of a time. The only time I killed one of those was by running in circles around it painstakingly blowing off its arms with bombs and getting in a couple hits each time (while trying not to let it fall on me when it leaned forward to rebuild its arms). It was... not a fun experience. Fucker didn't even drop anything but ambers and flints, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Doesn't everything have a health bar?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think they mean the boss-style top-of-screen health bar with a name above it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
:ssh:the large health bar that appears across the top of the screen:ssh:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Speaking of those guys, is there a good trick to fighting the ones where the ore weak spot isn't on top? The ones where it's on top are really easy--just climb up and beat on the weak spot--but when it's on their back or something I have a hell of a time. The only time I killed one of those was by running in circles around it painstakingly blowing off its arms with bombs and getting in a couple hits each time (while trying not to let it fall on me when it leaned forward to rebuild its arms). It was... not a fun experience. Fucker didn't even drop anything but ambers and flints, too.

Just climb on its back, drop off so that you're standing on the weak spot, and start swinging. You'll hit it anyway.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
The Sheikah clothes are Zelda's costume from OOT :aaa:

('cept the head piece)

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
man the giant horse kinda sucks in terms of not being able to go into a whole hog gallop

is strength really that handy? Can I do some sweet tag team moves with him against a Lynel or something?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of health: does anyone know exactly how defense works in this? Is it just a flat damage reduction or is there something more to it?

I'm curious because I know enemies have standard hit points and, if you're wearing the Champion's Tunic, you can see that your weapons are always doing exactly as much damage per swing as their attack power says, unless you're hitting something that weapon type can't damage (like a normal sword on the little rock guys).

Do weapons do the same amount of damage in enemies' hands as they do in Link's, but reduced by Link's armor? Do hearts count as 4 HP each, or more? Is there any way of even really testing that?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

('cept the head piece)
Which is instead a rare drop from the Sheik smash amiibo.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Harrow posted:

I'm not sure if that's a long or short list for a Zelda game but it feels relatively short for a big open world game.

A dozen base types seems pretty standard to me for open world games. Often a lot less if you discount different weapon/armour loadouts for human enemeies.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Oh my god.

The wedding sidequest has the groom wearing an open white vest over a bare chest with a tiny bowtie. And the vows are amazing

GOTY

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah my tactics in game amount to 'is there anything flammable nearby/are they weak to an element? If no > ATTACK :black101:'
Also "is there somewhere high/hidden to chuck bombs/roll boulders from" and "is there a metal crate there I can wave around and drop on them".

Harrow posted:

I'm curious what the total number of different "normal"/non-miniboss enemy types is. So far what I've counted is (I'll put 'em all in spoilers just in case):
  • Bokoblin
  • Moblin
  • Chuchu (regular and elemental varieties)
  • Keese (regular and elemental varieties)
  • Lizalfos
  • Skeleton (bokoblin and moblin variety - do these count as stalfos?)
  • Wizzrobe
  • Octorok (water and tree varieties)
  • Flying Skulls (bokoblin and moblin variety)
  • Mini Stone Talus guys
  • Lynel
  • Mini Guardians (should I count regular Guardians as minibosses?)
  • Flying Drone Mini Guardians
I'm not sure if that's a long or short list for a Zelda game but it feels relatively short for a big open world game. Am I missing anything? Maybe there are redeads and darknuts somewhere?

Anyway relatively minor complaint because the variety in exploration and the different ways to you can approach fights keeps things pretty fresh, but coming right off Nioh (which has a similarly short enemy list) I think I'm extra sensitive to it.
I don't think these really need spoilers but what the hell.

There's also Ice mini Taloses (don't pick them up, you'll freeze) and Lizalfos stals. And don't forget the Yiga clan. Hi traveller! Hi Yiga twit! Are you weak to arrows like your crappy friends? Yes you are, thanks for the bananas. Twit.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So has anyone found the extremely obvious Skyrim shoutout section yet?

A snowy mountain north of Hateno has steps partially covered in snow that wind up the mountain path. At the top is a shrine with a loving dragon with Ganon blight all over it just chilling at the peak. You have to get the blight off to solve the shrine puzzle. If that isn't a shoutout to the 7,000 steps up to the Greybeard's place (and Paarthunax) then I don't even know. It's pretty awesome.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

I don't think these really need spoilers but what the hell.

There's also Ice mini Taloses (don't pick them up, you'll freeze) and Lizalfos stals. And don't forget the Yiga clan. Hi traveller! Hi Yiga twit! Are you weak to arrows like your crappy friends? Yes you are, thanks for the bananas. Twit.

Oh yeah, I forgot those Yiga assholes.

I was spoilering them just because I know some people are really sensitive to spoilers, especially for a mega-hyped game like this where there are lots of cool surprises to find. In this case, I guess, the spoiler is that there aren't any real surprises in the enemy types except maybe Lynels, but hey :v:

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Horses are sort of crap unless you have the Epona amiibo horse because every horse with good stats has the wild trait which means they control like rear end. Gentle horses are too slow and low stamina. I just want a plain old average horse or one that's maxed out everything that's gentle.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
can't you just train them?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lord Ephraim posted:

Horses are sort of crap unless you have the Epona amiibo horse because every horse with good stats has the wild trait which means they control like rear end. Gentle horses are too slow and low stamina. I just want a plain old average horse or one that's maxed out everything that's gentle.

Oh huh, I thought maxing out your bond with the horse would mean they'll always listen to you. I've only tamed gentle horses so far, though I haven't really been going out of my way since I'm tending to go so many places a horse can't follow right now anyway.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Upgraded Stasis is basically easy mode, huh. Made the Major strength trial a joke. :monocle:

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

Horses with the wild trait will still jitter from time to time even at max bond. I caught one early that was 1 strength, 4 speed/stamina but was Wild and I couldn't stand it. The horse I like the most was 1 strength, 3 speed, 2 stamina that was gentle but got hit with a stray bomb arrow.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I tried preemptively blowing up a person I straight up knew was a banana hoarding Yiga fucker. Didn't work. So I spoke to them, enjoyed that awesome facial expression they get, and then froze them in time and smacked their poo poo in. They unfroze and instantly died. I picked up their bananas and ate it over their corpse. Brutal.

Major Tests of Strength make me sad. I suck so badly at them, despite having good armour and high amount of hearts and strong weapons. It just takes so long to chip down the damage and I eventually make a mistake and die when they're around 500hp.

OnimaruXLR posted:

man the giant horse kinda sucks in terms of not being able to go into a whole hog gallop

is strength really that handy? Can I do some sweet tag team moves with him against a Lynel or something?

High strength lets your horse tank more damage before attempting to flee, I believe. I've never tag teamed tough enemies with my horse, but I let him help me out in the little Goblin camps. He's also really good at stomping on those little rock boulder enemies and I get to easily harvest their ores.

Got pushed against the edge of a cliff and it was just me and my horse battling against two Lizalfos mobs. My horse kept one busy whilst I slowly killed the other. Then I hear a terrible screech, look behind me, and see my horse get pushed off of the loving cliff. It ragdolled and died. I instantly reloaded my save.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Wild horses control fine at max affection which you can get to by the time you get them back to the stable by just spamming L.

Also there are a few special horses that buck less than normal. specifically the white royal horse, which has great stats, and the Giant horse

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

what is horse strength good for and also do ancient arrows work on the test of strength guardians because I tried it and the first one didn't so I don't want to waste any more

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Hey, enemies that surround some towers so I can't just climb up and get the map easily.

gently caress. You.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

I wish I could find more major tests of strength. I love the loot they drop. 40 attack guardian swords++ with durability+? Yes please. 70 attack giant gently caress axes. Oh and sometimes they can drop a giant ancient core.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really wish there was a way to do the Moderate and Major tests of strength without breaking like six weapons on each guardian :negative:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

what is horse strength good for and also do ancient arrows work on the test of strength guardians because I tried it and the first one didn't so I don't want to waste any more

Horse strength is both their HP and how much damage they do to enemies

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

I really wish there was a way to do the Moderate and Major tests of strength without breaking like six weapons on each guardian :negative:

Progress through the game. It has moderate scaling based on how many dungeons you beat so enemies and chests will have better equipment and be higher tier.

I just beat a Major test guardian with a weapon and a half.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

You can always take a quick jaunt into hyrule castle and kill some moblins or lizalfos for end-game weapons to do those tests with if you're really running out :getin:

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

Cook 5 bananas for a triple attack boost stew that lasts 4 minutes. It really gets more mileage out of your weapons. You probably need about three weapons with 30+ attack power and plently of arrows.

Once you beat one major test of strength, the others are easy because you'll have at least three really good weapons to use for the next one.

Zore posted:

Progress through the game. It has moderate scaling based on how many dungeons you beat so enemies and chests will have better equipment and be higher tier.

I just beat a Major test guardian with a weapon and a half.

I don't know if the world scaling is based of how many dungeons you beat or heart total. I've only claimed two divine beasts, but have 18 hearts and there's a ton of silver variant mobs wielding top tier gear.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Harrow posted:

Thankfully the major ones usually drop some good poo poo to make up for it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Thankfully the major ones usually drop some good poo poo to make up for it.

The downside is that what they drop are guardian weapons which are super fragile, unless the "++" versions are more durable?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Harrow posted:

The downside is that what they drop are guardian weapons which are super fragile, unless the "++" versions are more durable?

Dunno about that - maybe? - but it feels like it with how / has a similar effect with how much stronger they are, anyway. :v:

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

guardian++ weapons don't seem as fragile. Most strong weapons have pretty decent durability except royal guard weapons, which have the highest stats but break after 12 hits or so.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I got the White Royal Horse. loving idiot thing kept trying to throw itself at the cliff near where it hangs out and kill itself in spite of the game's code preventing it from falling over the edge, so now it's named Freckles. loving Freckles will most likely get itself killed in some idiot manner in the future, because he is a Horse.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I got the White Royal Horse. loving idiot thing kept trying to throw itself at the cliff near where it hangs out and kill itself in spite of the game's code preventing it from falling over the edge, so now it's named Freckles. loving Freckles will most likely get itself killed in some idiot manner in the future, because he is a Horse.

I named mine Cliffy for the same reason - I ended up slapping it with a sword after mounting it to get it off the drat cliffs where it fell into the water and swam to shore

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zore posted:

Wild horses control fine at max affection which you can get to by the time you get them back to the stable by just spamming L.

Also there are a few special horses that buck less than normal. specifically the white royal horse, which has great stats, and the Giant horse

Also if you whip your horse enough with no L lovings then they will not be happy so it's good just to appease them while riding

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

bef posted:

Also if you whip your horse enough with no L lovings then they will not be happy so it's good just to appease them while riding
this is good advice for women also.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oxxidation posted:

Just climb on its back, drop off so that you're standing on the weak spot, and start swinging. You'll hit it anyway.

You can actually hit those ones from the ground with a spear. You'd think a spear would do terrible damage to a rock monster, but if you have one with a damage stat in the teens they go down super fast.

Spears are by far the best weapon type, imo. Reach advantage + hyperlight attack speed = Boko guts everywhere.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a way to move saves from Wii U to switch? I might buy a switch but I don't want to start botw over again.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a way to move saves from Wii U to switch? I might buy a switch but I don't want to start botw over again.....

lol there isn't even a way to transfer saves from one switch to another if one breaks.