Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

MrWilderheap posted:

This is from a few pages back, but

I'm not totally sure, but it sounds like Tai Lopez, who is a self-help/get-rich-quick scammer guy. I only know of him because for a while he had this ad running on youtube where he's such an over the top pompous douchebag that I thought there was no way it could possibly be anything but parody, but WELP.

This fukkin ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv1RJTHf5fk

KNAWLEGE

you can't fool me. This is a Million Dollar Extreme sketch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
How do y'all find Pod Save America? I listened to the two latest ones now that I've run out of fresh Chapo. They seemed more general on "this is a mess" rather than deep-diving into specific subjects and are more basic liberal than leftist. They seem to get more insider guests because of it though, and at least one of them seems pretty mad about how things are.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Pierson posted:

How do y'all find Pod Save America? I listened to the two latest ones now that I've run out of fresh Chapo. They seemed more general on "this is a mess" rather than deep-diving into specific subjects and are more basic liberal than leftist. They seem to get more insider guests because of it though, and at least one of them seems pretty mad about how things are.

They're all insiders themselves, they've all either worked for Obama or Hillary as speechwriters and comms people.

The really mad one is Lovett and he interacts with the dry boys on twitter once in a while.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

It's okay. I listen to them between Chapo episodes as filler. Aside from hardcore history a few years back, Chapo is the only podcast I'd listened to, so the frequent product endorsements are a little grating, but that may be the norm. They seem to all be gradually getting disillusioned with the dems, with Lovett being the most angry.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

It's interesting how they can analyze how things are on the inside, and get guests that were there(see pod save the world for more of that), but they were some of the hardest shills for Hillary in the runup to the election and got burned badly when she lost. Now they're trying to figure poo poo out and I hope they'll drift more leftward.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Pharmaskittle posted:

It's okay. I listen to them between Chapo episodes as filler. Aside from hardcore history a few years back, Chapo is the only podcast I'd listened to, so the frequent product endorsements are a little grating, but that may be the norm. They seem to all be gradually getting disillusioned with the dems, with Lovett being the most angry.

Pretty much any well-known podcast that isn't supported by a patreon or some other direct funding has tons of ads these days. I have about 20-25 subscriptions and chapo might be the only one that doesn't have some kind of ad read at the top and/or in the middle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I MAY not be in the dollar SHAVE club, but with YOUR help, we can put MIDDLE-class families IN a dollar SAVE club

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
PSA did a lyft ad today. They have turned on Uber.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

On the subject of podcasts for the Chapo crowd, y'all are crazy if you arent recommending This Is Hell: https://thisishell.com/

The Muppets On PCP posted:

hideo kojima hates nuclear war and loves titties

everything else is window dressing

each game after one is about kojima hating working on metal gear

in 2, kojima is solidus snake, and he's mad about death of the author and uncritical audiences
in 3, kojima is the boss, and he wants to show you what it's like to sell out artistic integrity to keep your job
in 4, kojima is directly pleading with anyone who will listen to stop making him make metal gear
in 5, kojima wants to tell you that metal gear will degrade into a hollow imitation of itself after all these sequels until it becomes a free to play zombie game

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I listened to the backlog of the @armystrang podcast this weekend. It's super good and I'm just a dumb civilian!

https://soundcloud.com/user-505333465

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Phone posted:

I listened to the backlog of the @armystrang podcast this weekend. It's super good and I'm just a dumb civilian!

https://soundcloud.com/user-505333465

is that the one from the guy who they had on a while back who was originally thinking of calling it "Stolen Valor"?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

PSA did a lyft ad today. They have turned on Uber.

Maybe they'll have David Plouffe on again to talk about his $90,000 fine for illegally lobbying on behalf of Uber

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

is that the one from the guy who they had on a while back who was originally thinking of calling it "Stolen Valor"?

He did the analysis of American Sniper on ep 47.

I haven't relistened to it. First time I heard it was in the gym, and it was super good.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Listen to war nerd

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

razorscooter posted:

On the subject of podcasts for the Chapo crowd, y'all are crazy if you arent recommending This Is Hell: https://thisishell.com/

Yeah This is Hell is great - it's probably the podcast I listen to most consistently after Chapo.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

The "History of Rome" and "Revolutions" podcasts by Mike Duncan are excellent historical podcasts, not too academic in tone but coming from that background. The podcast "Fall of Rome" is a good companion to Duncan's work, it's done by MMA writer and Roman history PhD Patrick Wyman and is much more academic in tone than Duncan, but Wyman focuses much more on context, using more evidence from archaeological finds compared to Duncan to try and build a comprehensive picture of the Roman empire and economy for the average people living in and near Rome. He also spends more time on the historiography, and the different academic schools of thought on the various aspects of Roman society.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
is this the guy who thinks leftists should join the US military?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I enjoy district sentinel radio, it's p. much daily and they cover a lot of news through a comedic ironic lens

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

seconded, an ep where they try to puzzle out Hideo Kojima's political orientation through the lens of Metal Gear would be fun.

http://www.clickhole.com/quiz/how-well-do-you-know-lyrics-space-oddity-3157

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Has Fall of Rome gotten better? That first episode was unlistenable with how much he rambled and reread lines multiple times.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Dinosaurs! posted:

Has Fall of Rome gotten better? That first episode was unlistenable with how much he rambled and reread lines multiple times.

I've only heard like 9 and 13 from that show, but he's been really good. No bad stumbles I can recall

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

He's improving on the production quality, but he still isn't super polished.

I also made a thing:

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Criticism of metal gear by calling it muddled and thinking certain aspects undermine others is ignoring the last hundred years of modernist and postmodernist literature. But that's a funny line.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Pierson posted:

I just started listening a few weeks ago but Lovett's "stop acting fake" rant in response to Hillary's Democratic Convention speech was hilarious and makes me optimistic about the future of the podcast.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

disjoe posted:

I just started listening a few weeks ago but Lovett's "stop acting fake" rant in response to Hillary's Democratic Convention speech was hilarious and makes me optimistic about the future of the podcast.

So many liberals must chafe under the obvious insincerity of their political representatives, and now that putting up with that frustration has gotten them a big bowl of electoral failure, it has been fun to see many of them take steps towards radical conclusions.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

disjoe posted:

what ep and time was this

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CortezFantastic posted:

what ep and time was this

Digital Jedi posted:

https://getcrookedmedia.com/here-have-a-podcast-78ee56b5a323#.oiis188d5

Episode title “It’s making us dumber.”
The Lovett quote that was posted starts at about 32:10

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

disjoe posted:

25 minutes into the most recent episode he has some choice words for Spicy as well.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/839640544464814080

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
drat, that's a dece size jar of protein powder

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Under the vegetable posted:

Criticism of metal gear by calling it muddled and thinking certain aspects undermine others is ignoring the last hundred years of modernist and postmodernist literature. But that's a funny line.

Major Tom is an unreliable narrator, giving his own interpretation of the games.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Nanomashoes posted:

Major Tom is an unreliable narrator, giving his own interpretation of the games.

are you playing automata on very hard?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

rotinaj posted:

It's interesting how they can analyze how things are on the inside, and get guests that were there(see pod save the world for more of that), but they were some of the hardest shills for Hillary in the runup to the election and got burned badly when she lost. Now they're trying to figure poo poo out and I hope they'll drift more leftward.

Tbf, they've been pretty forthright in saying, "Yeah, Bernie probably would have won." I think it's a decent podcast, but one just has to realize that, yeah, they're insiders.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

hubris.height posted:

No, but I will.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

hubris.height posted:

Is that the difficulty that best matches the game or is there a storyline reason for doing so?

I normally wouldn't ask but :taro:

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Under the vegetable posted:

Listen to war nerd

So is War Nerd paid only? I could swear they're on Patreon but nowhere else

edit: I'm also willing to give Pod Save America another chance (I wasn't into their first couple episodes because they were idiots post election), but does anyone have an idea of where they start getting rad? I don't want to have to listen to like every episode in reverse order to find cool stuff.

unbutthurtable fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 9, 2017

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

unbutthurtable posted:

So is War Nerd paid only? I could swear they're on Patreon but nowhere else

edit: I'm also willing to give Pod Save America another chance (I wasn't into their first couple episodes because they were idiots post election), but does anyone have an idea of where they start getting rad? I don't want to have to listen to like every episode in reverse order to find cool stuff.
I'm working backwards and I predict election night will be a breaking point for them.

Cat Food
Dec 16, 2008
War Nerd is paid but definitely worth it. If you want to give it a try, they recently made their interview with Rania Khalek public, it's really good stuff. It's longer than Chapo, they normally do an hour of interview or war history and an hour of current events.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/radio-war-nerd-8280857

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Pierson posted:

I'm working backwards and I predict election night will be a breaking point for them.

Well, I think it started after the election.

It was the Keepin' it 1600 podcast before the election, and they changed it once...the world changed. If I have it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

unbutthurtable posted:

Well, I think it started after the election.

It was the Keepin' it 1600 podcast before the election, and they changed it once...the world changed. If I have it right.

Yeah, they launched their own media company and needed a new name. They didn't tell their listeners in the podcast, so they released a few episodes before I realized they didn't just quit because Hillary lost.

Some people will only like every other episode - Dan Pfeiffer is pretty dry and monotone, those episodes are less amusing than anything with Lovett.