Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Nate is right

Fighters who tone down their personalities and try to be "professional" infront of the camera are dull and the audience never connects with those dudes. Just be yourself bro

Just look at Jones, he tried so hard to be something specific infront of the camera when in reality he's a total fuckup who tells people he's gonna kill them when he thinks the cameras arent rolling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
on the other hand, fighters have their livelihoods to think about

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
additionally i would say that the fighters who choose to have a professional face are actually being themselves

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I don't think Jon Jones is that big of an rear end in a top hat in real life. He just finds Cormier and Rashad annoying.

Also I would hazard a guess that 95% or more of all fighters are being themselves. It's just fighters are more concerned with being highly-skilled athletes instead of charismatic entertainers. Like the one time a fighter let loose it was Forrest Griffin immediately making a rape joke and it never happened again. Derrick Lewis is good poo poo though

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

I.N.R.I posted:

additionally i would say that the fighters who choose to have a professional face are actually being themselves

saw an interview with cruz where he said thompson was absolutely not being himself when he was being professional. cruz saw a different side to thompson off camera that was more.... err, human? and full of actual emotion than the clean cut all-american who enjoys good sportsmanship and a firm handshake. unless you're gsp getting on camera and being valium is better than not being on camera but only just. if you've got any personality at all so long as it isn't rampantly criminal (jones) i'd suggest running away from the odd interview or smiling all the time and calling out people no one has ever heard of.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

I.N.R.I posted:

on the other hand, fighters have their livelihoods to think about

The ones with the best livelihoods are the ones who aren't giving canned responses tho

Conor and Ronda is the best example

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bubba Smith posted:

I don't think Jon Jones is that big of an rear end in a top hat in real life. He just finds Cormier and Rashad annoying.

hands a waitress his number while married. crashes a bentley drunk full of women not his wife. crashing into pregnant women while almost certainly intoxicated and fleeing the scene. purporting to be christian then asks pussies if they're there. SNITCHING ON WEED. snowball king. that osp fight. steroids. these are all pretty bad things and as a not perfect human i still feel comfortable saying some of these things are assholish traits.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Zzulu posted:

The ones with the best livelihoods are the ones who aren't giving canned responses tho

true although they are both still fronting in their own way. but at the same time they were toned right down before they blew up. most fighters, even ranked ones, dont have the financial or job security like those guys do

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Marching Powder posted:

hands a waitress his number while married. crashes a bentley drunk full of women not his wife. crashing into pregnant women while almost certainly intoxicated and fleeing the scene. purporting to be christian then asks pussies if they're there. SNITCHING ON WEED. snowball king. that osp fight. steroids. these are all pretty bad things and as a not perfect human i still feel comfortable saying some of these things are assholish traits.

Those are mostly Jon Jones being a fuckup, which he is, but I don't really see much that makes him mean.

Hector Lombard is an rear end in a top hat. jon Jones.. eh, he's a pothead who likes to pet his exotic cat. Even when he goes on Instagram and calls his fans ugly or whatever he does, usually it's cause they started it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Conor does give canned responses, though. He just cans them himself.

Bubba Smith posted:

Those are mostly Jon Jones being a fuckup, which he is, but I don't really see much that makes him mean.

Crashing into a someone, then fleeing, returning only to get cash and then continuing to show no remorse or concern is a pretty good example of being mean.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i can't speak to whatever ridiculous moral posturing is being debated here but jon jones is a major league retard

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Triticum Guzzler posted:

jon jones is a major league retard

The game director is a cool guy, though.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

while I like Nick Diaz for many Nick Diaz-related reasons, to be the best example of a professional fighter one must fight professionally

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I.N.R.I posted:

true although they are both still fronting in their own way. but at the same time they were toned right down before they blew up. most fighters, even ranked ones, dont have the financial or job security like those guys do

Conor toned down? What when he turned up to that press conference in the fur, or when throwing cans at nate diaz? Wtf

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

Conor toned down? What when he turned up to that press conference in the fur, or when throwing cans at nate diaz? Wtf

neither

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Bubba Smith posted:

Hector Lombard is an rear end in a top hat. jon Jones.. eh, he's a pothead who likes to pet his exotic cat. Even when he goes on Instagram and calls his fans ugly or whatever he does, usually it's cause they started it.

Lmao, what the gently caress?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Bubba Smith posted:

Do you have a class project to see what happens when you post the most indefensibly retarded opinions online or what

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i fell asleep during woodley wonderboy. should i bother to rewatch it? sure doesn't seem like it from the last couple of pages.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

It was poo poo, Woodley waits 24 minutes to go on the offense. I think theres takedown in round two or three, but over all nah. Skip it.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
jon jones rules, and is the best

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

david carmichael posted:

:agreed:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

david carmichael posted:

David has CTE which explains that awful opinion, maybe Bubba does too I dunno

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If you don't look at Jones outside the cage resume and conclude hey this guy is a bad person then you're a loving loony tune, however

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

david carmichael posted:

i liked the way he got out of vitors arm bar

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

cis autodrag posted:

i fell asleep during woodley wonderboy. should i bother to rewatch it?

If you require relief from insomnia then yes you should definitely watch it again.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I still think Conor and Ronda gave canned responses tbh, they weren't the generic "I will fight anyone the ufc puts in front of me" type you're referring to but at least a portion of what they say are definitely rehearsed to some degree, they're just charismatic enough to make it all seem super natural and off the cuff. Plus lots of people try to break free and let their personalities show and it just makes them look like Tobias Funke and most people still don't care about them because they are outweighed by many household pets, so "just be yourself" isn't some magic One Weird Trick to getting fans.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Eddie Bravo could beat Michael Bisping.

I would watch the hell out of a sub grappling match between these two. Do it as a superfight at EBI. I would predict Eddie wins by overtime submission.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Sprecherscrow posted:

I would watch the hell out of a sub grappling match between these two. Do it as a superfight at EBI. I would predict Eddie wins by overtime submission.

Eddie would sub Bisping within 5 minutes of regulation.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Put them both in a gi.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

i fell asleep during woodley wonderboy. should i bother to rewatch it? sure doesn't seem like it from the last couple of pages.

Doing anything else is more worthy of your time than watching that fight.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

manyak posted:

This will seem like a "___ was always bad" post but Im thinking Stephen thompson isnt as good as a lot of people wanted him to be, his wins leading up to the title fight dont look as good in retrospect

- beat a gunshy Rory Macdonald who was coming off the longest layoff of his career after getting his face destroyed by Lawler, who then went to Bellator and hasnt fought since (still a good win)
- beat Hendricks, in the last time Hendricks ever actually made 170, and looked like poo poo and dropped 3 fights in a row before moving to MW
- KOd Ellenberger who is 2-6 lately
- decisioned Cote who to be fair has looked good at 170 but not top level
- beat Whittaker which is probably the best win here but he has improved a ton since those back to back losses 4 years ago

so its not like he's bad but maybe just not the world beater some people thought he'd be.. I dont think hes drastically different from the fighter he was when he got dragged into deep water by Matt brown, i think in a 5 round fight he would have a hard time against Maia or Magny, solid strikers like Masvidal, maybe Cerrone and Saffeidene, Lawler if he isnt shot.. i think he'd be even odds or worse against a lot of those better guys at 170. And the division is wayyy way less deep than it used to be, Matt Brown and Jake Ellenberger are both ranked despite going 1-5 and 2-6 respectively

And its not to take credit away from Woodley, i thought he deserved to win and is clearly really good at what he does. But Thompson is supposed to be this next level striker, and he's had 2 camps to study a guy who literally has only ever hurt opponents with a right overhand, all he has to do is avoid that, and in round 5 of a fight hes winning, Woodley starts pushing forward for the first time in the fight clearly in desperation mode looking for the overhand right, and Thompson... backs up Karate style with his hands down and chin in the air and gets dropped by an overhand right

Was the Rory fight good to watch? I can't remember.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

cis autodrag posted:

Unless you need a sleep aid again I would pass. Woodley knocked him down with like 30 seconds left, watch a gif of that and you've got most of the action in the entire fight.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

tumor looking batty posted:

it wasnt very memorable. it was basically a point fight

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

cis autodrag posted:

That fight wasn't even novelty-bad, where so little is being done and the crowd is booing so loudly that it becomes funny, nope they just barely did enough to make it a terrible, unwatchable debacle.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JaySB posted:

Eddie would sub Bisping within 5 minutes of regulation.

Believe it or not, Bisping's first sport was BJJ (when he was 8) and he is a brown belt rather than a black primarily because he doesn't focus on gi bjj training. But Eddie doesn't really focus on that either. I think a Bisping Bravo grappling match might be more interesting than you're thinking.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyiNg4-kc1s

This is the only time I have enjoyed Eddie Bravo talking. It's a really funny breakdown of his rematch vs Royler Gracie

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

cis autodrag posted:

The literal last minute isn't bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

tumor looking batty posted:

Oh good god no

• Locked thread