Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Schnorkles posted:

If ACA stuff goes down, then budget probably topples over as well, then taxes, etc. etc.

The GOP caught the car and has no idea what to do with it.

Can you explain the budget crisis? Does it have to do with them refusing to raise the debt ceiling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

oh

oh

welp

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Not a Children posted:

Didn't a Toyota plant move out of Tennessee because the workers were illiterate?

I think that was in georgia, and they just didn't build the plant to begin with because they did the cost analysis and realized that having to do extensive training for every employee so they could operate machines and equipment would end up costing so much money that it would be cheaper to build the plant in canada

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
HSA is a permanent tax deferral if you spend it on health care. That is better then a 401k. Candy crush ain't gonna pay for that new kidney. You can't retire if you are dead.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

Stepping back a bit and talking with a couple of business associates today, I actually find this bill pretty remarkable. It's a stunning repudiation of the GOP's entire ideology and a tacit acknowledgement of entitlement programs.

While the merits of the bill completely suck, the fundamentals of the insurance market changes (no artificially cutting the risk pool via pre-existing conditions and tax-driven subsidies for healthcare) remain in place. This seems, at least to me, to be an acknowledgement that the GOP's stated stance would be politically suicidal and they know it. Obamacare has basically changed the conversation forever, we're now just going to argue about the semantics.

Also bill is totally dead lmao

You can also argue that its an incredible degeneration of the subsidized insurance market, a certain way to cause its death spiral, and along with recent HHS proposed regulation a good and fast to sink the ACA amid a continous round of dropping enrollees, high insurance costs, and disappearing insurancers.

I don't know if it was planned, but it fits a pattern of purposely creating chaotic, incompetent, and badly run governance, something that is actually championed by conservatives and the like.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
hello friendos there were massive layoffs in my company today (I'm still safe for now though)

if you have IRAs I suggest you move to 50/50 S&P/bonds if you haven't already

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Fiction posted:

Can you explain the budget crisis? Does it have to do with them refusing to raise the debt ceiling?

It's more just that they won't be able to pass a budget because they can't agree on anything and don't do earmarks anymore.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
is there a word for the kind of lie that children/babies do where they blurt out stuff that's obviously the exact opposite of the truth without being prompted? trying to find a word for the way trump tweets. "Lie" should work but it can imply intelligence, i'm looking for something way more brainless here

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Not a Children posted:

Didn't a Toyota plant move out of Tennessee because the workers were illiterate?

it wasn't that they moved a plant but that they decided to locate it in ontario rather than take the tax incentives offered by some deep south states

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Polo-Rican posted:

is there a word for the kind of lie that children/babies do where they blurt out stuff that's obviously the exact opposite of the truth without being prompted? trying to find a word for the way trump tweets

TRUMP

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Shageletic posted:

You can also argue that its an incredible degeneration of the subsidized insurance market, a certain way to cause its death spiral, and along with recent HHS proposed regulation a good and fast to sink the ACA amid a continous round of dropping enrollees, high insurance costs, and disappearing insurancers.

I don't know if it was planned, but it fits a pattern of purposely creating chaotic, incompetent, and badly run governance, something that is actually championed by conservatives and the like.

If this actually got rammed through, I would agree with this. But I think the clear pushback from the senate (Blunt, Murkowski are both no's as of this morning) suggests that statewide officials don't agree with that plan.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

my name is, donald trup, be mean 2 me and i'll lock u up

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Chokes McGee posted:

hello friendos there were massive layoffs in my company today (I'm still safe for now though)

:ohdear:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

eh i'm in health care, I'll be fine up until the exact moment that the country burns down. :v:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Squizzle posted:

oh

oh

welp

its not real

the concentration camps theyre building are going to be outside city limits probably

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

redneck nazgul posted:

health care should not be a loving business

For reals. Health insurance right now is basically Crassus's fire brigade.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im like, not sick, or injured in any way and health care in the states scares the hell outta me lamo

canadian heathcare sucks but like, wtf how is it your own fault if you get rear end cancer or wahtever

Serf
May 5, 2011

Al! posted:

its not real

the concentration camps theyre building are going to be outside city limits probably

they will be in occupied mexico/canada

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i wonder if chinese and canadian soldiers are going to round up some townsfolk and march them through trumps concentration camps at gunpoint like they did in german villages at the end of ww2

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

Nibblin on sponge cake
Watchin the sun bake
My son brutalized and murdered a dog

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

lol you got owned Carol.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
buh what

https://twitter.com/tomricks1/status/839131543658442756

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

just think in 10 years or so* immuno oncology will work and would be capable of taking a lot of pressure off the system, but because of the way the system works we'll just charge you 95% of chemo.

Progress! :v:

* It probably won't be 10 years.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Al! posted:

its not real

lol "gonna be"

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

the vision and dental add-ons i pay for each month cost more than my cell phone plan

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Dwayne Swomp

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Chokes McGee posted:

Yeah my company, a major finance/insurance corporation, is starting to circle the drain. we're due for another collapse so get your money out of the market asap

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

that site looks breitbart-tier

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

There's a tiny kernel of truth to that, but it's not so much the doctors as it is the mixture of pharmaceutical advertising, ambulance-chasers, and the stupidity of patients. Like if you're a doctor, you're going to generally prescribe treatment based on your evaluation of symptoms, medical history, known allergies, etc. If you're a patient, the television is telling you to make your doctor give you a pill you don't need for an ailment you almost certainly don't have (but one you think you have, like fibromyalgia or morgellons) so you go to the doctor and you claim to have some bullshit and the doc says "well, we can test for it on the offchance you simply aren't exhibiting the symptoms on a significant level" and the test comes back negative so you go back to the doc or you go to another doc who gives you the same test.

Basically medical advertising and rural aging white victimhood give a lot of the 45-64 TV leech segment something like munchausen's where they think the back pain and fatigue and soft pecker they earned from a sedentary lifestyle are Literally The Cancer and they MUST be sick as hell and it's the drat doctor who's wrong and they're going to demand tests until they find something wrong. And if, by chance, you turn out to have some novel undetected disease, there's some dirtbag on hand willing to flog your dying rear end in front of a court so you can collect a big paycheck. All the while the GOP is pointing at your situation coming and going saying it's what's wrong with the health care system from over-testing to tort reform but never blaming the stupid-rear end cracker who harasses the doctors until they either die of old age or find something wrong. It ought to be legal to prescribe a loving placebo but those are often a glucose supplement and these fuckers don't need any more god drat sugar.

Of the top five most profitable industries in America, medical devices and the Pharmaceutical industry both slot in snugly.

You have to look larger than individual choices. med. devices, pharma, contractors, and medical associations play an enormously profitable keep away game of raising charges, not disputing them, then passing those charges to the government, which is mandated by laws backed by those groups to fund fully and completely that care. It's the reason why pills cost so much here, and anything else in the health care field, exponentially in most cases. That talk about "its how we fund research" is malarky, Pharma executives are the richest in the business outside of Wall Street.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

T R U M P

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

It ought to be legal to prescribe a loving placebo but those are often a glucose supplement and these fuckers don't need any more god drat sugar.

It ought not to be because doctors already statistically underrate pain reports from women or african-americans and if they could get away with lying about what painkillers they were giving would probably do so even more drastically and unaccountably

you'd also have to remove patient access to their own medical records and if you're going down that route of gently caress patients guess it's time to start explicitly rejecting all mental health treatment for obese people because its just common sense that all their problems are just b/c they're fat, and throwing sterilization on top of any surgery for drug addicts because its for their own good

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

That DICK! posted:

Dwayne Swomp

lol

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

If ACA stuff goes down, then budget probably topples over as well, then taxes, etc. etc.

The GOP caught the car and has no idea what to do with it.

the topless budget is at stake???? ok now i feel some urgency

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

If this actually got rammed through, I would agree with this. But I think the clear pushback from the senate (Blunt, Murkowski are both no's as of this morning) suggests that statewide officials don't agree with that plan.

I think like anything in conservatism, it depends on how hosed up your district and resulting views are.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

https://twitter.com/nice_mustard/status/839127192340742144

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Oxxidation posted:

are you suggesting a russian secret agent didn't handwrite in a thick accent

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Oxxidation posted:

it's actually one of the most prestigious foreign policy publications, although clearly the quality level has dropped significantly since it now apparently has borowitz-level satire

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i mean all that would fit right in once the concentration camps start up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
paging baloogan

https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_17760284.html

• Locked thread