Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Good, came to make sure I wasn't the only one getting those.

I've seen the ad.choicefishing one several times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"
just got hijacked again the web address was

http://facebook.com-prize-win1.us/r...1000_spec_clean

Edit: and again

http://advancedpctools.com/adpi/1/?...tm_pubid=6_7716

Dicky mouse fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 7, 2017

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Honestly you'd think these goons would be thanking these ads for forcibly pulling them out of the forums haha just kidding

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

This ad is freakin awful

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
My ad rep at Sortable asked if he could sit and monitor this thread, so he shall be posting here and will answer any questions and resolve any issues you bring up. Sortable is really cool, they're good people.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Lowtax posted:

My ad rep at Sortable asked if he could sit and monitor this thread, so he shall be posting here and will answer any questions and resolve any issues you bring up. Sortable is really cool, they're good people.

thats cool! i got a question that i felt was real dumb to ask but im curious:

@sortable ad rep; im someone that doesn't work in advertising or have much of an idea how it works, how do takeover/bad/malicious ads work their way into your group/rotation/network, and is it as easy as removing them if they're reported, or are there more involved steps? do you then have to talk to the people responsible, and how do those conversations usually go? have you ever had an ad submitter tell you off for removing their ads?

thank you in advance

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Oh, also I'd like to say that Sortable, so far, has been the absolute best ad network I've ever dealt with in 17 years of doing this poo poo.

Although that opinion might change if you guys get on my bad side... stay in my good books, mate

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For the rep: in terms of reporting bad ads, what's the most useful thing we can do as average posters? Does it help to post the URL we are being redirected to, or a screenshot or maybe a timestamp of when it happened?

I got a redirect a couple days ago but overall the frequency has been massively reduced so that's good.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Moridin920 posted:

For the rep: in terms of reporting bad ads, what's the most useful thing we can do as average posters? Does it help to post the URL we are being redirected to, or a screenshot or maybe a timestamp of when it happened?

I got a redirect a couple days ago but overall the frequency has been massively reduced so that's good.
Everything and anything you can get would be useful.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lowtax posted:

Everything and anything you can get would be useful.

I knew this bucket list of STDs would come in handy eventually.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I got a full screen takeover redirect buttballs thing

Time&date: January 21st, ~12:35
Device: macOS Sierra 10.12.1
Browser: Chome
Screenshot with ad call: heres a screenshot, I can PM the url but wont post it publicly because it contains my location, ip, etc. Domain is https://www.mellowsurvey.com.

Adrian At Sortable
Sep 7, 2016
Hi Somethingawful.com Community,

I was speaking with Rich last week and he mentioned that it would be useful for this community to have access to the ad operations guy. I appreciate all of your input on any undesirable ad behavior and thanks for all of the updates, they really help.

I do apologize for the unapproved ad content that periodically displays and I am dedicated to help minimize these occurrences. We are working with both GeoEdge and ClarityAds to reduce these occurrences.

I am also happy to be a free resource for anyone that is interested in website display advertising. I am always happy to recommend page layouts, give ad server/stack advice and we are a Certified Google Publisher partner so if you have any questions about the mysterious world of Google advertising just let me know.

Sortable is a company that works directly with website publishers to help them with their ad operations, I am not going to clutter up this thread with technical specifics but PM me if you would like to know more about our tech.

Nice to meet everyone, talk to you soon.

Adrian At Sortable fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 23, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Thanks for trying to make stuff like this better.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ugh

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

poo poo, you should get those taken care of

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
found browsing QCS

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Bluescreens are a preferable alternative to iOS!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
There's only 28.1% damage, there's still plenty of undamaged computer machine left before you should start worrying in my honest opinion.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

thank mr tax

(what can I do to help u squash the bad ad tho)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
occasionally getting redirected to some weather info page???

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

poo poo man you only have a minute and a half until it's permanent! did you fix it??

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
This isn't necessarily a 'bad ad' question, but moreso about what the click-through rate for ads is? I was thinking I might buy a banner for my blog but, you know, obviously I'm sort of curious about what sort of pageviews the content is going to get coming through SA. I feel like a smaller community might be more inclined to click on community-generated ad content vs. buying some facebook advertising which will absolutely be loving ignored by 99.999% of people.

edit: also, what does 'for profit' meaning specifically? Like, if I'm taking Patreon donations and using ads provided by Amazon does that count as 'for profit' or is it specifically if I'm selling a product or something? This may be answered in some sort of FAQ page but I'm lazy and stupid.

Ape Fist fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 9, 2017

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
Are ads that move out of the ad space and instead float over the page considered bad ads? I only see ads when I'm looking at the Leper's Colony on my phone since I'm not logged in there, but I saw an ad that seemed to leave its top banner-ad-sized home and instead float on top of the page in a big square. If that's a "bad ad" I can grab a screenshot next time.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So this is weird: over the last couple days I've noticed that loading threads has been getting increasingly slower, and then it got to the point where the page loads with a weird old style font and then rerenders correctly, and then it got to the point where it would make my browser extremely unresponsive, and then finally it turns out loading pages would take several minutes and use something like 92% cpu.

I turned adblock back on for the forums and this behavior immediately ended.

Anything I can give that would be helpful? I've been using Edge for reasons. This weird taking up all resources thing is maybe a week or two old and seemed to sneak up on me.

E: also when this was happening it seemed like there were double or 3x extra edge background processes going, doing... something.

E2: PS ad rep I got this red title text because I made someone super enraged by posting while drunk & they bought it, that's all. Lowtax crap i'm making the forums look super bad in a professional internet environment sorry

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 29, 2017

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Bad ad i assume. Getting this in chrome. And when I click the (all black) banner at the top of the page I come to https://hotelscombined.com/ (don't click, probably?)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I am trying to unlock one of my old accounts but the reset form doesn't seem to work. What do I do?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Why are you asking in the AD issues thread?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Whoops wrong thread

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Just got redirected to a website claiming to be a Verizon customer service survey. On windows 10 edge browser

Here's the link, if that's of any use:
code:
http://www.ryesurvey.com/?sid=isp.opt.3a6x&ow=us.ao96ho9gbr467d49.2col.nojs&isp=Mci%20Communications%20Services%20inc.%20Dba%20Verizon%20Business&browser=Chrome&os=Windows®ion=New%20York&city=New%20York&ip=71.190.204.82&countryname=United%20States&device=DESKTOP&brand=Desktop&model=&country=US&track=www.abosurvey.com&tid=79c1fb15-4347-4f4e-9518-845b5b0deaa5&caid=0ef60501-6366-4bd0-94a1-eaae69410b2f&did=Windows_38265&voluumdata=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&source=38265&sourcesub=93073471&clickid=M1491PRNCM8N0TAL

guns for tits fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 9, 2017

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

I got that too but it said ATT. Win10 chrome.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
On chrome getting a page trying to load unauthenticated scripts error, came from the top ad. Because of my security settings the ad didn't load so I can't give you a visual descritpion:

code:
'http://m.adnxs.com/seg?add=5159620&redir=http%3A%2F%2Fm.adnxs.com%2Fmapuid%…puid%253Fmember%253D280%2526user%253D294E3A78B95A6632034E32A0BD5A65D7%253B'.
This request has been blocked; the content must be served over HTTPS.
This seems to be the link to the exact ad it was trying to load from for what its worth:

quote:

https://secure-nym.adnxs.com/ab?e=wqT_3QKNB_BEjQMAAAMA1gAFAQj06NrHBRCihubGx6q5xj8YsbOtpMHDm7I-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___________8B&s=b6b023f0812262e9e07bf0f92f280474a42d5888&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2Fusercp.php

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

This might be just me, but does that JobSearchPlus.biz link not work for anyone? I just get an error 500 when I try that banner ad.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IUG posted:

This might be just me, but does that JobSearchPlus.biz link not work for anyone? I just get an error 500 when I try that banner ad.

I tried and it doesn't work.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Some ad redirected me a few times in a row ending up on a scammy looking survey site

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One of your banner ad networks is using an expired SSL cert:

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
Hey, I was just curious.. This joke #BlackLivesMatter ad i keep seeing. I highly doubt the people giving the scathing critiques are the people who bought the ads. Its been on there for a while.

Sorry if this has been mentioned

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm getting awful auto-playing video ads with audio in the top ad bar. Definitely the kind of thing that's going to trigger people to turn their ad-blocker right back on. Any chance these can be killed?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm getting awful auto-playing video ads with audio in the top ad bar. Definitely the kind of thing that's going to trigger people to turn their ad-blocker right back on. Any chance these can be killed?

Came here to post exactly that. Video I don't mind but auto audio is awful.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

hanales posted:

Came here to post exactly that. Video I don't mind but auto audio is awful.

Yep. Mine was American Family Insurance and that poo poo has got to stop immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.
Also getting auto-play videos in the top bar, they don't appear to have a control to mute or pause.