Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

CompeAnansi posted:

So if I'm following the advice of avoiding gambling and just buying my gear pre-enchanted, should I just be selling my blackstones on the marketplace to get more gold for gear?

Most of the time, yes, but smashing stones into green gear up to +15 isn't a big deal if the gear is easy to repair. Failed enchants (before TRI) only hurt the durability of an item, and that is restored by buying base versions of that item. So if you are upgrading grunil armor, it's easy to buy more off the market and repair it's durability. But when it gets to special stuff like boss armor, you can't get the items to repair it so you have to use memory frags and such and it becomes an ordeal. Normally people who are avoiding RNG are meaning they are avoiding losing hundreds of millions trying to get that DUO to TET, or loving with accessories.

E: oh god i can't see anything but other players waiting on this boss, dead game!

E2: Finally saw boss, fired a few arrows, crashed, logged back in to no loot. Supposedly it was crap loot anyways so not going to bother.

Eltoasto fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Won my second bid on a sorc outfit earlier :toot:

I've picked up the Bern set and Cartian Premium this week. 50 Euros of stuff for less than the Fame silver I came back to. I didn't actually want the Cartian set other than the fluffy scythe, but I sure ain't complaining!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Eltoasto posted:

You can go up to +6 or +7 without a chance of failing, so for sure slam a couple more into the weapon. How much silver are you sitting on? I don't know that class so i'm not sure if you should keep upgrading the Kalis or go with a liverto or something else.

About 30-40 mil maybe. Maybe twice that in asset value, though I doubt I could sell all of that off.

I've discovered that the ruins north of Calpheon are a hilariously good farming site for cash though. I got like 1 mil per 15 minutes of slaughtering the mobs there. So I can get more if needed.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

A lot of the classes have class discords where people can give advice on gear and such. I found this one for Musa

https://discord.gg/6ThcWqx

I would definitely get your armor set up to pri or maybe duo, it's not very expensive to upgrade grunil or heve to that level. level 50 black spirit quest will give you chest armor equivalent to duo so you may want to just use that for that piece depending on what they recommend for set bonus. If they want you to go liverto weapon then that's when upgrading gets more expensive.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
Is there a better spot that I can park my afk fishing alt then velia hotspot? It is always exhausted and the imperial vendor there sells out immediately. Or is that the best spot? hopefuly someplace self contained where I can fish sell and then transport the silver to heidel.

HotBobaloo fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 4, 2017

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

HotBobaloo posted:

Is there a better spot that I can park my afk fishing alt then velia hotspot? It is always exhausted and the imperial vendor there sells out immediately. Or is that the best spot? hopefuly someplace self contained where I can fish sell and then transport the silver to heidel.

This spot is inside a safe zone. Few use it, so it's almost always abundant. That's just 100 m south of Heidel!

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
A few PSAs:

Karanda Knowledge
You will need to kill all the harpies near Karanda, but there's a set order of discussion you go through and you can grind up the Amity quickly with like 100 some(forgot exact amount) energy. Then Karanda knowledge is free and you can keep forgetting at Calpheon on an alt and re-get until you get S rank although it possibly does nothing :koreagame:
Still doesn't hurt though and you do get the bonuses for AP/DP from the lower tiers of knowledge too.

Contract Renewals
Check your guild roster tab. If your wax seal with the check mark is blue, it needs to be renewed.
I see a lot of blue ones up in PNR. I'm on Cal5 and I'll be on most of the day to renew if anyone needs it.

PNR related items:
Everyone should be officer to invite so you can just ask anyone in guild.
Seems like a lot of people picking the game up again or for the first time.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It is a surprisingly fun grindy game if you don't rush it.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
What's the guild again? ParksAndRec? I saw it in the Guild section but it seemed oddly empty?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Killsion posted:

What's the guild again? ParksAndRec? I saw it in the Guild section but it seemed oddly empty?

Yeah it's parksandrec

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Btw if you're starting and you know you want to play witch/wiz, this should be your gearing plan:

Buy:
1. +15 green mainhand--rosar is the preferred one these days but most of the variants will do. 15-20m for +15. Don't buy any higher, as PRI is an easy upgrade, and duo gets into the range where you should probably just buy liverto.
2. +15 ultimate grunil helmet and gloves. Again about 15-20m ea. Don't buy non-ultimate grunil if you can help it.
3. +15 or higher ultimate steel dagger. ~15-20m for +15
4. +15 any ultimate shoes you like the 2 piece bonus on, grunil if you want but you won't be buying the full set to start. ~15-20m
5. Optional: Buy PRI blue coral rings, earrings, shultz belt, and necklace.

Stuff you get for free:
1. Full jarrette's accessories--these are probably worse than the pri accessories above but are free.
2. Magical armor
3. Magical off-hand (mixed ap/dp accuracy oh, not great not terrible).

Slots/Consumables, goal is +5 crit, +5 cast speed:
Head: 2x +2 cast speed
Chest: Don't put anything expensive in magical armor until the 56 exchange because you will lose the gems every couple levels
Shoes: 2x +2 movement speed
Gloves: 2x +2 crit, when you upgrade to liverto change one of these to +1 cast speed +1 attack speed.
Weapon: 2x +2 ap
Offhand: +luck.
Food: Knight's Combat Rations or ham sandwich or serendia meal / milk tea / Valencia meal (optional)

At the end of this, you should be sitting around 120 AP and 170 DP before set bonuses. This should let you get started on mediah content far quicker than the gear guide in the OP while still not wasting any purchases. You should be able to get to 56 with just the equipment above, although it would be slower than with better gear. Full jarrettes takes most of a month to get though, so maybe buy some cheap stuff in the meantime

Moving forward your upgrade path should look like (basically the guide in the OP):
0. Save up for a sweet awakening weapon if you're at or near 56. Push this off until you're nearing 56 if you're not near. Buy something you're going to be happy with until you get a dandelion. Tri blue > Tri green > Duo Blue > PRI blue. It's probably not worth buying any lower than that if you can help it.
1. Upgrade the green staff to liverto. Buy anywhere from +15 and up depending on how comfortable you are with enchanting and how much you can save up. You'll be using liverto until you decide you want a kzarka, but if you buy a PRI and don't want to enchant you can always pass it to an alt or sell it when you want to upgrade to TRI.
2. Start upgrading your armor to pri/duo by buying the new pieces. You can opt to buy full grunil this time, although many people recommend not doing full grunil anymore because most people buy muskans/bhegs first which will break all of the grunil set bonuses. It's still probably best to get the helm/glove combo for +5AP. I currently forgo the second set bonus and continue to use the magical armor because it's free, fairly decent dp, and gives accuracy for some reason
3. Upgrade your off-hand to tri
4. Buy better accessories.

Don't sell any of the equipment you're upgrading out of--make a new witch/wiz and give them the gear and use them as boss alts. This is the primary reason this is cost efficient to get you started. If you aren't maining a witch/wiz then you won't be able to pass off the weapons and will have to sell them for a ~5-6m loss, which is still probably worth it for the increased grind speed you will get in the early game. Presumably you will have no problem hitting bosses, so liverto over rosar may not be a huge upgrade at equivalent AP values

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 16, 2017

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

gwrtheyrn posted:

Witch Stuff

This is great. Do you have a similar list for Maehwa and/or other classes? I assume its mostly an exercise in replacing the names of items and stats on slots with stuff more apropriate for those.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Stuff you get for free:
1. Full jarrette's accessories
2. Magical armor
3. Magical off-hand (mixed ap/dp accuracy oh, not great not terrible).

Where/when do you get these? I have a full set of jarettes but several of those came from the black spirit game board.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Ineptitude posted:

Where/when do you get these? I have a full set of jarettes but several of those came from the black spirit game board.
IIRC Armor comes at 52 and upgrades every level, offhand comes from the end of a long black spirit quest chain around level 50?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

This is great. Do you have a similar list for Maehwa and/or other classes? I assume its mostly an exercise in replacing the names of items and stats on slots with stuff more apropriate for those.

Other classes are just replacing the weapons and crystals as applicable. Keep in mind the 'best' off-hand does apparently depend on the class so it's not strictly max ap for that (saiyer knot for berserker and dk). Crystals you're still shooting for +5 attack/cast speed, +5 critical, and then the rest you max out AP/movement or whatever for pve. Just remember that you won't be able to pass off the weapons to a bossing witch alt and will have to rip out crystals if you're an attack speed class

The full Jarrettes should come out of the new/returning player attendance with the last pieces at day 17. For some reason I'm not seeing the support box 1 on it. I'm not actually sure exactly where the armor/offhand come from because I got them in the mail when they added them

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

Other classes are just replacing the weapons and crystals as applicable.

Yeah, but my point was that i don't know what applicable is :)

I have read that maehwa wants accuracy en masse, but i don't know why. Why do not the other melee classes want it (to that extent) if maehwa wants it.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Crystals you're still shooting for +5 attack/cast speed, +5 critical, and then the rest you max out AP/movement or whatever for pve.

For maehwa specifically or for all classes?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Disclaimer, I don't really play any attack speed based classes, and i've read far more than I've actually done anything

Ineptitude posted:

Yeah, but my point was that i don't know what applicable is :)

I have read that maehwa wants accuracy en masse, but i don't know why. Why do not the other melee classes want it (to that extent) if maehwa wants it.

Different skills have different amount of built in accuracy. Classes which have high built in accuracy such as witch/wiz do not need as much accuracy in their equipment. I don't know too much about musa/maehwa but this looks about right for what I understand--most people who use an accuracy offhand (except saiyer knot, kutum) primarily use it before they upgrade to liverto main and then later bhegs. Just buy the AP one in this case (white horn bow?), you're going to lose any pvp fight you get into, and accuracy matters less in pve that you'd be doing before getting a liverto than it does in pvp.

Ineptitude posted:

For maehwa specifically or for all classes?
It's a very, very general guideline.

If you're gemming for PvE you are looking to increase your clear speed which means increasing your dps and decreasing the time spent moving. Attack speed speeds up your animations since you're an AS class, and crit chance boosts crit rate at about 5% per level. Movement speed slightly reduces the amount of time spent moving between packs and is the least important thing, but the only other thing to really go here are cc resistances

A somewhat expensive way to achieve this with 2-slot gear:
Gloves: 1xValor (+2 AS), 1xAssault (+2 crit)
Weapon: 2x Carmae (+1 crit, +1 AS)
Chest: W/e, cobelinus is good on basically every class
Shoes: 2x Swiftness (+2 movement)
Head: W/e, there's not much here that's useful for pve except +exp but that's something you only get from black spirit quests.
Off-hand: Luck or crit damage or w/e

Some classes like warrior do not need to gem crit since some skills 100% crit--MMA is one of these skills for example. Casters get to cheat because their +2 speed gem doesn't collide with +2 crit

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 8, 2017

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002
Haven't played this in almost a year, but what happened to the old loading screens? Looks a lovely in game screenshot now instead of the nice map.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Strategy posted:

Looks a lovely in game screenshot now instead of the nice map.

Haha, that's exactly what they are. They had screenshot contests and took the winners and put them in as loading screens.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
AFK running to turn in some stupid quest and went to make food. Cyclops killed me and my horse and my Black Spirit Crystal in my offhand shattered :(

I mean I knew it was gonna shatter some day but drat I wish it wasn't such a dumb AFK death!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

Gear stuff

Thanks!

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
updated various poo poo in the OP, PM me if you want anything else added

maybe i'll fix up picture headers when my shoulder is less broken

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I haven't played in like a year and just reinstalled. I don't remember how to do anything. I still have a big wagon and a horse. In not quite pvp level yet, and my hotbar is all empty now?

I guess I could join a guild this time. Parksandrec? Do you guys hire noobers?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Oh dear god help me I reinstalled this game. How do I get back in with goons because I'm in one of the dead goon guilds.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

orange juche posted:

Oh dear god help me I reinstalled this game. How do I get back in with goons because I'm in one of the dead goon guilds.

https://discord.gg/tXJYW48 i think is what we use or at least it's what's in the motd. Get on calpheon 5 channel and bug someone for an invite

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
ParksAndRec is just full of dirty casuals and bads.
However, we have +3 gathering speed and soon (tonight or Sat) we're going to have +1 fishing speed too.

Guild activities go along the lines of Fri night scrolls, although we may kick it to another day on the weekend if not enough people are around.
mandatory CTA mining opsGathering Guild Quests to get guild exp and guild money for that little bit of extra welfare.
We don't have any good or geared players in the guild so we don't do node wars (node wars is aids anyways)
I've been trying to think of some poo poo that we can all do together but besides hunting whales or Khalk, it's pretty slim pickings.
I think a day trip up to Pirates would be good but it's such a contested spot that we'd just get killed over and over.

I know there's some other Goons that are more tryhard and they ended up in some of the more end game guilds.

edit: If anyone is interested in hunting, it's not mega lucrative and it is a bit time consuming.
If you're new to this and don't know what to do. Pick up a +4 or something beginner rifle and hunt crocs at the Catfishmen area. When you butcher it with a knife, you'll gain hunting exp.

Higher level rifles do more damage but enchantment levels help tons.
A group of just 5 people will need a good hour to kill a whale solo. Khalk is comparable but its on horseback vs on a boat. This is assuming the group has mid level rifles with decent enchants on it (+6 or so)
There needs to be some preparation prior since garbage rifles and no enchantments will take years.

TVDinna fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 10, 2017

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

This is where I'm right now. I also have a TRI green awakening weapon I can't use yet and ~60mil left in the bank + some material to get my armor to ultimate.

Where do I go from here? I kinda figured its either 1. Get Kzarka, 2. Get Dandelion or 3. Get decent rings/earrings. I heard the main weapon isn't all that important once I hit 56, since I don't do pvp and everything the witch awakening does has obscene amounts of bonus accuracy, so I guess Kzarka can take the backseat right now?
What would be good but still affordable accessory upgrades?

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
Save up for awakening. The blue awakenings are actually very affordable right now. Base prices are as low as 5mil which brings means the enchanted prices are in a low point too. 150mil is Duo Alloria Aad Sphera.
After that, it's just saving up for boss gear. Order doesn't matter much.

I felt a crazy urge today which I had to itch. Blew up both my PRI Croissant Guardian and PRI Tree belt trying to DUO either of them after failing to DUO any pieces of my boss gear and having a nearly maxed out failstack.
Lesson is to never enchant poo poo unless you're looking for an excuse to ragequit :koreagame:

J
Jun 10, 2001

A tri green awakening weapon will last a while I think. I'd probably just keep saving up some more money till you get to 100 million or so and start trying to bid on any boss armor pieces that pop up. It will take a while to win any of them. Same deal with accessory upgrades, it will take many attempts to actually win one so you just want to have enough silver in the bank at all times to keep bidding on this stuff. 186 ap is pretty good and will let you farm at most areas at a good pace.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

You should ultimate all of your armor and get better earrings. As far as an awakening weapon to hold you until dandelion...

Tri blue > Tri Green > Duo blue and there's no point buying lower unless you want to enhance yourself. Well there's not much point in duo blue unless you want to TRI it yourself unless you really like the human damage, but tri green has more ap and all species damage

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 12, 2017

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002
For warrior/berserker players how tedious is it to craft herbal juice potions for PvP? I'm extremely e-lazy and both of these classes interest me but crafting a ton of poo poo before playing doesn't.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I'm thinking of jumping back into this after playing a bit at launch. Wanted to try one of the new classes and was thinking about giving Kunoichi a shot. Could I get some opinions on how they are for PvE/PvP/general fun and such?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Strategy posted:

For warrior/berserker players how tedious is it to craft herbal juice potions for PvP? I'm extremely e-lazy and both of these classes interest me but crafting a ton of poo poo before playing doesn't.

Herbal juice is incredibly easy to make

Silvergun1000 posted:

I'm thinking of jumping back into this after playing a bit at launch. Wanted to try one of the new classes and was thinking about giving Kunoichi a shot. Could I get some opinions on how they are for PvE/PvP/general fun and such?

People who enjoy kuno really seem to like it, buuut it's not the fastest mob killer for pve and pvp node wars you are looking at being a flanker. They get a lot of poo poo, but most pvp in this game comes down to gear, then skill, then class, and high level pvp seems to mostly be who lands the first CC.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Strategy posted:

A couple of patches ago they put the WP potions on the vendor so you don't have to do that poo poo anymore.

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002

J posted:

A couple of patches ago they put the WP potions on the vendor so you don't have to do that poo poo anymore.

:eyepop:

Holy poo poo I guess I should have looked, thanks!

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Eltoasto posted:

People who enjoy kuno really seem to like it, buuut it's not the fastest mob killer for pve and pvp node wars you are looking at being a flanker. They get a lot of poo poo, but most pvp in this game comes down to gear, then skill, then class, and high level pvp seems to mostly be who lands the first CC.

That's cool! I'm not really worried about being the best at anything, just so long as what I'm playing is fun and playing it / trying to kill stuff isn't making me hate life. Mostly planning to focus on PvE too, so as long as that's fun I'm happy.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
PvP is going to be a long ways off for anyone new or returning.
If you don't have 450 GS (AP + DP), then you're just going to get your poo poo pushed in by those guys.
Even if you join a scrub tier guild and they fight another scrub tier guild, there will be a guy or two that's just overgearing the hell out of everyone else and then destroying everyone.

At this point, it's impossible to catch up without spending a lot of money or just no life grinding 24/7.
Just play casually whatever class feels fun to play. This game, like most f2p games, incentives playing long term and having endurance over just sprinting hard and burning yourself out.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Silvergun1000 posted:

Mostly planning to focus on PvE too, so as long as that's fun I'm happy.

That's the way to go. Pvp in this game is a clusterfuck and also a rat race that never ends. I get my pvp fix in other games, and play this game as a chill management game where I manage my huge worker node network, move trade goods around euro truck simulator style, fish a little bit, and on occasion kill mobs because the combat IS really fun, just not for extended periods. The game is so much more fun when you don't have to give a poo poo about gear imbalance, class imbalance, lag/desync, getting kicked out of your grinding spot, and so on.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

J posted:

That's the way to go. Pvp in this game is a clusterfuck and also a rat race that never ends. I get my pvp fix in other games, and play this game as a chill management game where I manage my huge worker node network, move trade goods around euro truck simulator style, fish a little bit, and on occasion kill mobs because the combat IS really fun, just not for extended periods. The game is so much more fun when you don't have to give a poo poo about gear imbalance, class imbalance, lag/desync, getting kicked out of your grinding spot, and so on.

Yup, that's exactly what I'm looking to do. Thanks for all the info!

Also, started up my Kunoichi and even at 20 I'm having a blast, so good call!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

So after swapping back and forth between a bunch of classes, even deleting some to make room for others i have played all the classes in the game that interest me.

I am having the most fun by far on Maehwa and Kunoichi, and finally yesterday decided to stick with the Maehwa, spend some money and go do 50+ content.

i have 98 AP 98 DP, full Grunil Iron Wall, 5 attack speed, 3 crit, 8 accuracy, and am getting absolutely demolished by those knight enemies in the south west corner of the map. Hexe sanctuary is a challenge as well. My opinion of this game went from "heeeey this game is really loving fun" to "holy poo poo gently caress this game" and logging off an hour early yesterday

My witch just breezed through these areas with her 50 CP staff (like 65 AP?) and no other gear except random junk i found on my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

So after swapping back and forth between a bunch of classes, even deleting some to make room for others i have played all the classes in the game that interest me.

I am having the most fun by far on Maehwa and Kunoichi, and finally yesterday decided to stick with the Maehwa, spend some money and go do 50+ content.

i have 98 AP 98 DP, full Grunil Iron Wall, 5 attack speed, 3 crit, 8 accuracy, and am getting absolutely demolished by those knight enemies in the south west corner of the map. Hexe sanctuary is a challenge as well. My opinion of this game went from "heeeey this game is really loving fun" to "holy poo poo gently caress this game" and logging off an hour early yesterday

My witch just breezed through these areas with her 50 CP staff (like 65 AP?) and no other gear except random junk i found on my own.

witch/wizard are by far the easiest pve classes to play pre awakening since they have great aoes, great damage, and insane sustain. The guys under the monastery, kzarka shrine, and serendia shrine do not gently caress around compared to the other things in the area, but I think most of the rest of the calpheon content should be doable if maybe a little difficult. It shouldn't be hard to get your DP up though, 98 is barely anything.