Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Endorph posted:

you could beat birthright with nothing but captured generics (I should know, I've done it)

Can we vote on Tae to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

CptWedgie posted:

And no, I am never going to stop voting for benching Azura until endgame unless it actually happens at least once; in fact, I'm half-tempted to veto her in future playthroughs to the best of my (likely nonexistent because "USE DANCER 4EVR!" bandwagon) ability just because I'm SICK of her.

Says the same poster who flipped their poo poo at me for saying I would be voting to bench Takumi until the end of time...

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Endorph posted:

you could beat birthright with nothing but captured generics (I should know, I've done it) and those dudes are almost always worse than actual units.
:same:

A surprisingly interesting run, especially thanks to weird curves and stretches of time you can't capture units. Chapter 12 was actually one of the hardest chapters because your guys are bad and the first promoted enemies show up. That said, if you can capture a Great Knight here, he'll carry you for a huge chunk of the game :v:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
When we get to Conquest we will have plenty of time to worry about who is and isn't included.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

When we get to Conquest we will have plenty of time to worry about who is and isn't included.

beat conquest with nothing but generics, also

and also a run where i immediately second sealed everyone regardless of how fitting their default second class was

conquest is challenging but you can beat it with whoever, especially since i imagine tae will be doing it on hard, not lunatic

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

If I remember correctly, some of the generics that you can capture in Conquest are actually pretty good, or at least useful for a few chapters. We're getting ahead of ourselves here though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

beat conquest with nothing but generics, also

and also a run where i immediately second sealed everyone regardless of how fitting their default second class was

conquest is challenging but you can beat it with whoever, especially since i imagine tae will be doing it on hard, not lunatic

I'm actually pretty interested what a capture-only run of Conquest Hard plays like, since even without obvious stuff like (mechanical spoilers)Haitaka, you get stuff like the samurai with the +10 damage taken/given, and Rallyman who'd probably be a better pick than half your available choices.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

FELD1 posted:

Says the same poster who flipped their poo poo at me for saying I would be voting to bench Takumi until the end of time...

To be fair, I said TEMPTED, where you said you were GOING TO.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Spatula City posted:

the thing that bugs me about all of the Nohrians is that they don't seem to respect Corrin. They absolutely refuse to understand what he did, and treat him like a child, or maybe a pet.
I am kinda predisposed to dislike the Nohrian royals, because I don't like when media makes excuses for people that choose to follow evil people. at best the Nohrians are enablers. well, and Elise appears to just be a moron.

The nohrian siblings are both accepting and respecting of Corrin's choice though? Elise is noted in this last chapter to be depressed over all the conflict and betrayal, and is more upset about the fighting than which side corrin picked. Xander acknowledges the decision and treats it like the treason it was. Leo is similarly angry at corrin's decision, but clearly still cares enough about corrin to respect their desire to not see the dark mage murdered. Camillia we haven't seen enough of to say much.

You are right that they have zero reason narratively to actually stay with Nohr with evil dad on the throne, but the game kind of flops on that hardcore in general even conquest side, with only a few exceptions.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Final four benched: Reina, Azama, Saizo, Felicia. Rinkah barely made it out, so there's certainly some of you that voted hard to keep her permanently benched as soon as I mentioned it. Saizo and Reina will be on the cutting room floor for next mission, because Idunnowhy Kagero is securely one of the lowest voted ninjas.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

To be fair, I said TEMPTED, where you said you were GOING TO.

i THINK you might BE taking other peoples POSTS too seriously

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

The nohrian siblings are both accepting and respecting of Corrin's choice though? Elise is noted in this last chapter to be depressed over all the conflict and betrayal, and is more upset about the fighting than which side corrin picked. Xander acknowledges the decision and treats it like the treason it was. Leo is similarly angry at corrin's decision, but clearly still cares enough about corrin to respect their desire to not see the dark mage murdered. Camillia we haven't seen enough of to say much.

You are right that they have zero reason narratively to actually stay with Nohr with evil dad on the throne, but the game kind of flops on that hardcore in general even conquest side, with only a few exceptions.

You could probably argue Leo, given this is the same person who faked killing people so he's perfectly capable of putting on a false attitude, and Elise is Elise, but as for the other two? Yeah, no.

Tae posted:

So it’s come to this. You dare to point your sword at our king… The same man you once called Father.

Draw your sword, Corrin, and we’ll settle this once and for all. Go on! If you would oppose us, then kill your brother with your own hands! Destroy the very friends and soldiers who once protected you!

Tae posted:

You have betrayed not only your king but your whole family.
To think...I once called you Brother and loved you with all my heart…

Let me summarize: "To think you betrayed the king who tried to off you like five times in two days, and had you suicide bomb your real mother, how horrible of you!!" Keeping in mind that Xander is fully aware that Corrin was kidnapped as a child by Garon. Also the whole thing about Corrin being raised basically in the middle of nowhere, cut off from almost all contact with anyone else aside from the direct servants.

The one he actually coldly treats as and calls a traitor is Silas, and he's basically correct there (though Silas was making a legitimate point).

Camilla's even worse, as she basically pulls a "If I can't have you, no one can!" Again, you can certainly argue the case for Leo, and Elise is perfectly sympathetic, but Xander and Camilla are not even remotely "accepting and respecting" of Corrin's choice.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

None of them know about the attempted murders or the Hoshidan sword incident. The only thing he knows is that Corrin mysteriously was away after that mission back in the prologue and then was suddenly fighting for Hoshido.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Lord Koth posted:

Xander and Camilla are not even remotely "accepting and respecting" of Corrin's choice.

He doesnt agree with it. But he respects the choice and accepts it in that he isnt shielding corrin from his descisions and is dealing with treason in the normal way.

Frankly I just enjoy it because hes pissed that you betrayed him and hes coming for you and is the only one that actually seems to resent corrin for their choice, so that might color my opinion a little.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

...Aside from Garon immediately ordering him killed when he didn't execute prisoners, and then sending him off to the border with a convicted murderer instead. Who conveniently wanders back alone after that mission with like an "Oh, darn, I guess I lost him" apparently. Xander seems to be utterly stuck on "YOU BETRAYED YOUR FATHER, HOW COULD YOU!!!" despite being aware Garon is not, in fact, Corrin's actual father, and has basically always been horrible to him to boot.

And the refutation was more about the issue that Xander and Camilla have not, in fact, been particularly "respectful and accepting" of Corrin's choice. Xander's utterly stuck on "how dare you betray the man who kidnapped you" and Camilla's flat out crazy.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Lord Koth posted:

And the refutation was more about the issue that Xander and Camilla have not, in fact, been particularly "respectful and accepting" of Corrin's choice. Xander's utterly stuck on "how dare you betray the man who kidnapped you" and Camilla's flat out crazy.

There's a serious disconnect between 'I once called you Brother and loved you with all my heart' and 'Father... Evil!?' when Corrin explains his reasoning. The lack of respect here is that Xander immediately dismisses Corrin and thinks him brainwashed (acceptable under the circumstances) but doesn't go any deeper than that. There's no doubt, there's no hesitation, there's no conflicted feelings.

It makes all their words of love and endearment ring kind of hollow. More of a 'I loved having another brother' rather than 'I loved having you as a brother.'

At least Camillia's crazyness backs up her 'I love you' words. Hence why I find her the most interesting of the Nohr Siblings at this point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Welcome back, Rinkah and Kaze. The thread decided to go from three healers to one because why not.

Rinkah is going to take the chokepoint here after gulping a HP Tonic to activate her PSkill.

Silas one-shots this Thief here and gets 3k off its corpse to start off the path towards the east.

In the meantime, time to get some free gifts

People here are fed up with Nohr. We're on your side! Here, I don't have much, but maybe this will help. Good luck!

Spirit Dust from this house.

Here, take this. Give it to someone who can make good use of it.

Free Heart Seal, which is 2k saved.

Despite Rinkah's absence of late, she still has one of the best defenses on the team. That only proves how absurdly strong these Fighters are for this mission.

She clears out the Fighters on the backswing and continues holding ground for the upcoming mounted units.

Not a good return level-up, though.

Takumi gets a boost from his PSkill with Oboro's higher level to one-shot this Fighter out of the way.

If you meet up with them, can you give the new guy this gift? We need all the help we can get!

Free Talisman.

Let's see how far this slaughter goes. That's 1.

3 now.

The 4th kill nets her some HP, which is a miracle at this point for her.

And there goes number 5.

Orochi gets a kill for team east with orochilevel.png

A tiny bit overkill.

This Wyvern Lord is way too tough for Rinkah or most physical fighters to take him on.

Of course, that is why Ninjas exist.

Kagero randomly gains defense because I dunno. She has double digit defense now.

SPIRIT BOMB (That's a forged Monkey Spirit, if you couldn't guess)

Just some tidy sibling clean-up

Here, take this. And keep fighting the good fight!

This guy gives us 10k which is the most useful thing by far of these houses.

For reference, the Thieves don't really start moving until a few turns pass so I'm killing at a rate before they even tried stepping forward.

The gimmick Dragon Veins for this mission is doing 99 damage to a certain area. It's supposed to incentivize you to bait enemies into an area and spring them but I don't really have trouble killing units.

I don't normally show healer levels, but Sakura has 14 defense. 14. That's more than Silas or Corrin.

Camilla. Please clear the way. I don't want to fight you.
Well, I don't want to fight you either! But your decision left me no choice.
Can't you see what Garon is doing? I had no choice!
Darling, I'm completely talked out. It's time for action. Get over here!

Yeah, this is definitely a problem.

So here's a couple things about Camilla.

Ragnarok-B rank, 11 mt, 80 hit, reduces MAG/SKL by 2 every use
Silver Axe-B rank, 16 mt, 70 hit, reduces STR/SKL by 2 every use

These are silver-tier weapons, which are powerful but have a huge flaw: they self-debuff after every battle and they stack. They are terrible and you should never use them when iron forged weapons are almost as good with no downside.

The other thing is that she has Bowbreaker equipped, preventing Takumi from hitting her immediately.

But you know the answer to every problem

Kaze has 27 hp, what the heeeell :psyduck:

Silver weapons are baaaaad

Okay, everyone gains HP now

Well, take this! I hope you give 'em hell!

Free Steel Yumi. For...no one at this rate.

Here, take this. It was a souvenir from my time there. This feels like fate!

Final house gives a Wane Festal, which is basically a 10-range Physic.

Alright, despite Camilla being down, there's still the rest of her army that's been waiting across the river.

Hans is whatever, he's just a stack of HP.

Beruka is also whatever, because Takumi is in range.

PSkill: Opportunist-When user triggers the battle, if the enemy cannot counter-attack, damage +4

Kinda surprised Kaden packs that much of a punch even after a debuff.

Despite his reputation as a speedstar, Kaden is pretty bulky in taking a good hit.

No bowbreaker to deter Takumi from this kill.

Corrin vs. Beruka

It's not my place to question orders. But still...I don't understand.
What do you mean?
Lady Camilla can't stop talking about how much she loves you. And yet she's ordered me to kill you and all your friends.
It's complicated.
No matter. My mission is to kill, and I will not fail.

More bulk for Mozu, and 3k from the corpse.

I guess Silas hit double digit resistance.

This is the first encounter with Generals, and as you expect, Kagero with the Sting Shurikens reduce a mighty defensive wall into 4 HP with weakened defenses.

THREE more speed over defense. What the hell are you

Oh right, The Hammer

Oh right, Rinkah

Finally some strength.

The final stretch gets cleaned up by a first attack from Kagero.

Hi, you....

PSkill: Fierce Rival-When user is the support unit, if the lead unit triggers a critical hit, the user is guaranteed a critical hit (if their attack connects)

Are you who I think it is

Yep, can't mistake that attitude. Who else is with you, Severa

Well, I guess I'll never know.

Corrin vs. Selena

Well, if it isn't Corrin. Do you even remember who I am?
Um...
Ugh, whatever! Like I care whether you remember me or not. You're a monster for making Lady Camilla so sad!
Now it's up to me to make you pay for breaking her heart!
Gah!

She drops a Practice Katana-C rank, 6 mt, 80 hit, +5 SPD

A drat good weapon for any sword users. Which is currently basically....Silas.

Rinkah tears through the rest of the army.

...So she's gained 4 levels and gained like 4 stats total. Goooooooooood job.

Who is this man, because this is not Kaze

That MVP should be rescinded from the levels alone

Tae fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 8, 2017

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Yep, that looks like every attempt I made at using Rinkah beyond the intro chapters. She and the RNG aren't on good terms.

Every team has its Vaike, I suppose.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I-It's not like I'm Severa or anything, you idiot! B-Baka!

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

In my experience it's pretty normal for Sakura to get absurdly high Def (at least absurdly high for a healer anyway). Her growth isn't anything special, it just seems to happen.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

ajkalan posted:

Yep, that looks like every attempt I made at using Rinkah beyond the intro chapters. She and the RNG aren't on good terms.

Every team has its Vaike, I suppose.

Why does this series hate axes so much :(

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
I agree that Silver Weapons are pretty useless, but it is worth noting that the debuff does not apply when they are used for Dual Strikes, meaning they can give an Attack Stance unit an easy high power weapon that does not require giving forges to everyone. That said, I think attack stance is seriously outclassed by guard stance in terms of usefulness, so I rarely keep Silver weapons around at all.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

It's a shame that Rinkah got such poor levels because it really looked like she (and her trusty hammer) performed admirably in this map.

Also, drat Silas really is a powerhouse. It's been a while since I played Fates so I sorta forgot how much of a boss he is.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ajkalan posted:

Same here. Every Fire Emblem just has those characters that the RNG dunks on whenever it gets a chance to, and Rinkah is one of them for me. Sometimes the RNG throws me a bone and lets her have or or two good levels, but after that it's ye olde pray to the RNG gods to not gently caress her over. Another one for me is Beruka, but we'll get to her when we get to Conquest.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kaze has more HP than everyone but Corrin, Oboro, Kaden, and a pre-promote.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

inthesto posted:

Conquest has some excellent Axe users. Two of which we just fought on this map!

Silver Weapons are useful if you need to one shot a unit because their counterattack could be lethal. Otherwise it is better to stick with Iron/Steel.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

inthesto posted:

FE6 has Gonzales, who's one of the best units in that game. FE5 has Othin, Halvan, and Dagda sitting on top of the heap. FE8 has Duessel. FE9 has Titania. FE10 has Nolan.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

Tae posted:

Kaze has more HP than everyone but Corrin, Oboro, Kaden, and a pre-promote.

Not too surprising, he has a good HP Growth. Without looking, he might have the highest of all the units you are using right now, it is at least up there. It is part of the reason why I think he is the best antimagic unit.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
My Vaike turned out amazing with high hp, str, speed and good def. I think ya'll are just JEALOUS of the VAIKE

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Endorph posted:

FE6 has Gonzales, who's one of the best units in that game. FE5 has Othin, Halvan, and Dagda sitting on top of the heap. FE8 has Duessel. FE9 has Titania. FE10 has Nolan.

FE7 has Hector and Dart. Awakening has Cherche. Plenty of good axe users, but the games provide less total axe users so the worse ones stand out more.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Conquest has some good-to-broken axe users too.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Tae posted:

Ugh, whatever! Like I care whether you remember me or not. You're a monster for making Lady Camilla so sad! selena: Now it's up to me to make you pay for breaking her heart!

Just a heads up, you missed a portrait insertion.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Tae posted:

The gimmick Dragon Veins for this mission is doing 99 damage to a certain area. It's supposed to incentivize you to bait enemies into an area and spring them but I don't really have trouble killing units.

This is one of my big problems with Birthright is the vast majority of the Dragon Veins on these maps just... aren't worth using. Either too much of a hassle or the map is too easy anyway. Which is too bad since Conquest actually gets pretty good mileage out of the Dragon Vein gimmick, but none of the other versions do.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AradoBalanga posted:

Same here. Every Fire Emblem just has those characters that the RNG dunks on whenever it gets a chance to, and Rinkah is one of them for me. Sometimes the RNG throws me a bone and lets her have or or two good levels, but after that it's ye olde pray to the RNG gods to not gently caress her over. Another one for me is Beruka, but we'll get to her when we get to Conquest.

On the other hand, sometimes the RNG decides you just need a god mode character. Working through Awakening at the moment and the RNG has bequeathed upon me Miriel the destroyer of worlds.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

inthesto posted:

It's only Rinkah that's a problem. Nohr has all the good axe users, for some reason. I mean, I'm sure it's because Nohr uses all the old classes and Hoshido uses different ones but still :shrug: anyhow.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

My Vaike turned out amazing with high hp, str, speed and good def. I think ya'll are just JEALOUS of the VAIKE

Vaike, Ricken, and Virion haven't really done that well with me, personally.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 8, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Hoshido seems to have a lot of the Dawn Brigade syndrome from the gamecube FE: Growths that are typically at odds with what they're typically supposed to do.

And like the Dawn Brigade, it works better for some than it does for others :v:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Hoshido seems to have a lot of the Dawn Brigade syndrome from the gamecube FE: Growths that are typically at odds with what they're typically supposed to do.

And like the Dawn Brigade, it works better for some than it does for others :v:

At least with the Dawn Brigade, you can understand why it was designed that way. You were supposed to hit the caps on their low cap-high growth stats, and then use bonus experience to guarantee their other stats. It didn't actually work for the most part, but you could see the vision.

Birthright is just bizarre, and frequently the class you want to switch a character to most isn't readily available.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

characters with weird growths are good, imo. kill all myrmidons with high speed and low str.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

It's only Rinkah that's a problem. Nohr has all the good axe users, for some reason. I mean, I'm sure it's because Nohr uses all the old classes and Hoshido uses different ones but still :shrug: anyhow.

I can't really blame the class when one of the axe users really really wants Oni Savage anyway. Rinkah is just kinda mediocre and weird, which isn't that exceptional for a FE unit but usually when they only give you one of a class without reclassing like say Canas the one unit is class.txt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think I got...5 Heart Seals total. I doubt they're all going to be used because most everyone has really weird or terrible alt classes (Lotta diviner with 0 magic growth combinations).

People been begging for Mozu to be an archer but she's C in Lances so we'll see if that still holds up. Azama can finally take advantage of his physical growths, and Felicia can be a speedy mage now if needed. The options aren't as vast as people think.

I'm also deciding when to introduce the DLC classes because they're basically promotion classes.

• Locked thread