Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

jfood posted:

The social implications of Krogan foreplay and Asair matriarchs you'd like to gently caress... you people have way too much loving time on your hands.

Is there a weapons list out yet? I wanna see if that Salarian shotgun/grenade launcher is making a comeback.

It is repeatedly warned, time and time again: Mass Effect is... bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Transmetropolitan posted:

well hello there

SO ANGRY

Ainsley McTree posted:

how fat are her arms

Irrelevant if she has Cora's haircut.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Bust Rodd posted:

Uh yeah, the system in place sucks and panders to creeps and reinforces terrible ideas about sex and intimacy to broke brains people who probably don't get laid, and it took me like maybe 5 minutes to type all that out, i'm clearing drowning in an irony tar-pit here, chief.

I wouldn't think it was sad or weird if the relationships felt organic or realistic at all, but they don't so people clamoring about which aliens they can gently caress does seem lame to me, hth

How is using the character creator or selecting your class or answering dialogue choices hard work? Isn't that just playing the game as normal?

*rolls eyes an infinite number of times*

I find that the combat system sucks and panders to psychopaths and reinforces terrible ideas about violence towards the oppressed to broke brains people who probably don't lift.

I wouldn't think it was sad or weird if the combat felt organic or realistic at all, but it doesn't so people clamoring about which aliens they can biotic charge and shotgun in the face with impunity does seem lame to me.

How is hiding behind cover without any shields throwing ammo down range or taking weeks to heal if you get shot hard work? Isn't that just playing the game as normal?

Oh, right, it's a game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Syzygy Stardust posted:

I find that the combat system sucks and panders to psychopaths and reinforces terrible ideas about violence towards the oppressed to broke brains people who probably don't lift.

I wouldn't think it was sad or weird if the combat felt organic or realistic at all, but it doesn't so people clamoring about which aliens they can biotic charge and shotgun in the face with impunity does seem lame to me.

How is hiding behind cover without any shields throwing ammo down range or taking weeks to heal if you get shot hard work? Isn't that just playing the game as normal?

Oh, right, it's a game.

LOL (This but unironically)

"Violence as portrayed in this game is already unrealistic so why should anything else try to behave as though real people are making decisions?" uh because that's how stories work dude since like, i dunno literally forever

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Other games besides Bioware have handled romances in a mature, well-written way that kind of makes theirs look pretty creepy, in relief.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So they had a "real-time" scan of their Golden Worlds from the rigged Mass Relay Geth observatory? And in the 600 years it took them to get there, they became these hosed up planets with the black stuff on them/floating around them?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Would it really be Mass Effect if it didn't have creepy hosed up romance?

Reminder, the first alien you get to gently caress is some super alien Madam of a whore house where you get to gently caress her after doing a bunch of favors for her and only if you take the weirdest and seemingly most inconsequential action.

It comes the hell out of nowhere and never comes up again and never matters again. In a way its the closest you ever come to being Captain Kirk and scoring casual sex, because after that nothing is ever casual again, but it wasn't even casual because you have to go through this whole rigmarole to get to it and then you have to pick one choice that looks exactly the same as all the other choices.

That is Mass Effect romance in a nut shell.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Oh, right, it's a game.

Perhaps if you cannot separate games from reality you shouldn't be playing any.

And no one wants to play a game (minus Long War for XCom) where you're down for months if you get shot when your shields drop.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

exquisite tea posted:

Other games besides Bioware have handled romances in a mature, well-written way that kind of makes theirs look pretty creepy, in relief.

Market segmentation. The creepy gamer population (and ironic snobs who think they aren't sliding down that slope) is probably much larger than the emotionally well adjusted population.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Burkion posted:

No way in gently caress it's going to survive like it used to be.

What was that one amazing sticky grenade gun that they nerfed to gently caress? Scorpion?

I imagine they're going to gently caress it like they did the Scorpion

I believe that was called the Falcon. Even after the nerf it was still really useful against things like phantoms due to the knockback and the ability to apply ammo-debuffs as an area effect. Other weapons surpassed it as DLC came out like the previously mentioned Reegar. But it was still fun to use and not a chore to get the achievement for it. Load up an ammo power to match your squad and just spam grenades all over the place.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xe4NoXadPI

Video on the Nexus

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So DadRyder worked with Liara in the past, interesting

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Monolith. posted:

Perhaps if you cannot separate games from reality you shouldn't be playing any.

And no one wants to play a game (minus Long War for XCom) where you're down for months if you get shot when your shields drop.

:thejoke:

Trast posted:

I believe that was called the Falcon. Even after the nerf it was still really useful against things like phantoms due to the knockback and the ability to apply ammo-debuffs as an area effect. Other weapons surpassed it as DLC came out like the previously mentioned Reegar. But it was still fun to use and not a chore to get the achievement for it. Load up an ammo power to match your squad and just spam grenades all over the place.

The sticky grenade gun was the Scorpion. It stuck, had a delay, then exploded and applied ammo powers. The Falcon didn't stick or have the delay. The relative stagger, damage, AOE, and percentage application of ammo powers varied over time for each gun. Towards the end both applied ammo powers 100% of the time and the Scorpion probably did more damage and definitely more reliable stagger, but the Falcon had better ROF and was better for hosing down a big group to instantly proc ammo powers for detonation.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I loved giving the falcon to 2 squadmates and basically turning them into space marines with bolters.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm going to play the gently caress out of this game.

I'm going to gently caress the poo poo out of this game.

Yes

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Trast posted:

I believe that was called the Falcon....

The Falcon was the Systems Alliance assault-grenade-kitchensink-launcher-rifle thing. The Scorpion was a Salarian pistol with sticky grenades... but that's not to be confused with the shotgun that just poo poo explosives everywhere when you charged it up. Venom, maybe? loving awesome gun.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

redreader posted:

I'm playing mass effect 3 and just did the cure-genophage bit, did leviathan (awesome! But shepard is loving crazy, who would just get into a robot and jump off a ship like that?) and got a bunch of 'meet me at the citadel!' messages. Is this close to the point of no return or is it just halfway? Is there an obvious point of no return?

That screen of Shepard descending thousands of feet into a dark abyss is a for real fear of mine. I was awesome to play. The game became very Lovecraft.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
The Falcon was used (very badly) in the video of an IGN(?) dude doing part of Peebee's personal mission.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

exquisite tea posted:

Which other games do you have in mind?

Honest question. I'm thinking about it, but non-Bioware games with romances I played were Elder Scrolls games (can those things even be called romances?), Final Fantasy games (FFIV was okay, FFVII cringeworthy, FFX acceptable, and let's not speak about any of the FFXIII games), Fire Emblem games (park characters next to each other to level up their romances, terrible), and a few Obsidian games that were pretty good (KotoR 2, Mask of the Betrayer), but not because of their romances.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's okay to make the dolls kiss if you're a girl gamer, but not if you're a boy gamer.

Discuss.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Transmetropolitan posted:

No joke, I didn't expect that the mainstay (and possible very good reason of purchase) of a Bioware game would be the multiplayer of all things

Yet I got far more mileage from that in ME3, so yay for that in Andromeda too

I'm a little apprehensive about ME:A if only because:

- They cancelled the multiplayer test. There's probably a good reason, they're better off working on the Day 1 patch (Its gone gold, right?) than trying to make a unoptimized multiplayer test that might harm sales.

- DA:I multiplayer suuuuucked. Like, on paper it seemed like a cool idea with random dungeons, but the pay-2-win went way to far and made the grind awful. Actually, that's my biggest worry, that they go too far with the chests this time. I never felt compelled to pay for an ME3 chest, but people apparently did and I'm fine with that. As long as I'm not compelled to buy them, I'm cool with it.

Also, its Mass Effect Multiplayer. All they have to do it copy ME3, add some cool environments and classes. How hard can that be to screw up? :ohdear:

Y2JMatrix94
Aug 24, 2005

Working overtime, fighting crime!

Addison has seen some poo poo. That's a 1000 mile stare if I ever saw one.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Oh good we can drink in this one, too. Wonder where you'll wake up if you do too many shots.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Oh good we can drink in this one, too. Wonder where you'll wake up if you do too many shots.

in the future, all the booze is non-alcholic

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I believe that Krogan may have been female if the voice is any indication.

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
Unless you are a YouTube commenter and have never heard the voice of a woman before.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Torrannor posted:

Honest question. I'm thinking about it, but non-Bioware games with romances I played were Elder Scrolls games (can those things even be called romances?), Final Fantasy games (FFIV was okay, FFVII cringeworthy, FFX acceptable, and let's not speak about any of the FFXIII games), Fire Emblem games (park characters next to each other to level up their romances, terrible), and a few Obsidian games that were pretty good (KotoR 2, Mask of the Betrayer), but not because of their romances.

The obvious answer for me is Witcher 3. The relationships in that one felt the most fully realized that I've played so far. There are sex scenes but they are never treated as the goal of the questline. The goal more seems to be reaching an understanding with each other on where you stand. And then playing Gwent.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Bust Rodd posted:

I also believe that we're kind of approaching an event horizon where any game in the future that dares to have relationships will and must always allow every permutation. I don't think there is anything wrong with same-sex relationships whatsoever, in game or IRL, but agreeing with what other characters have said, making every character neutral/bisexual just kind of robs them of a sense of realism. Like imagine if they released a female character that was only into women, the internet would explode!

What I'd really like to see the most though is if they made it so the characters had physical/personal characteristics that flagged them, like for example what if Miranda only wants to bone you if you are a black dude or if you have red hair... or like Garrus would only wanna bang you if you were a Paragon or Jack would only want to bang you if you were an Adept... These kinds of flags would signal real attraction and interest based on personality traits and i think motivate players who want the sex scenes to play the game in different ways, instead of what we have now which is this creep harem anime where everyone is just patiently waiting to get hosed by their commanding officer.

The only Bioware game I can think of where every romance option is bisexual is Dragon Age 2, and that's only if you don't have the pre-order DLC character Sebastian, who was a straight male.

Regardless, Bioware immediately broke with that approach, and ME3 and DA:I's romance options included clearly defined straight, gay, and bisexual characters. DA:I also had a romance restricted by both gender and species.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Torrannor posted:

Gone Home, Life is Strange and hell even TW3 had well-written romantic relationships that were central to the story, probably because they existed for some purpose other than getting the player's rocks off.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

AriadneThread posted:

This is a future I don't want to live in.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Was there this amount of bitching about how love interests were all bisexual and down with polygamy in the Fable threads?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's okay to make the dolls kiss if you're a girl gamer, but not if you're a boy gamer.

Discuss.

Trick prompt, no such thing as girl gamers, checkmate atheist.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Mass Effect should just go into full on HBO/True Blood style trash

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

AriadneThread posted:

hosed up if true

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

The goal more seems to be reaching an understanding with each other on where you stand

The Last Wish is such a great quest exactly because of that. I really liked how the game misleads you into assuming Geralt's prejudice (what in the gently caress that woman is going to do with a powerful genie?) and then it is :3:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

The obvious answer for me is Witcher 3. The relationships in that one felt the most fully realized that I've played so far. There are sex scenes but they are never treated as the goal of the questline. The goal more seems to be reaching an understanding with each other on where you stand. And then playing Gwent.

And if you are just in it to see cgi titties, there's prostitutes everywhere

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

SMP posted:

Mass Effect should just go into full on HBO/True Blood style trash

what makes you think they haven't

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The facial animations are so baaaaad.

"Get out there Ryder. Pathfind. We're dying. :geno:"

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

SubponticatePoster posted:

Spoilers: The Milky Way. :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMP
May 5, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

what makes you think they haven't

I played DA:I so I know Bioware is already on it's way there, but there's always room for improvement