Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Excuse me but ignoring people isn't in my goon DNA, public ridicule and subsequent irrational outrage is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Thermopyle posted:

What the forum really needs is lots of people backseat moderating in an Android thread.

People backseat moderate when moderation isn't happening.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Internet Explorer posted:

This is why there needs to be less Probations and more Bans / Permabans. PerrineClostermann's entire gimmick is saying really dumb poo poo about topics he/she knows nothing about.

"Chief Justice, this city is in chaos! For social order we need tighter reigns! Incarceration hasn't worked as a deterrent, I say we expand execution to include lesser crimes!"
- Judge Griffin, 'Judge Dredd'

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Like I said, an unpopular opinion. There's no question that passwords and PINs can be defeated and represent a security weakpoint compared to living in a doomsday bunker and not owning technology.

But that's all I'm going to say on the subject.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

How Secure
Good passwords > Bio-metric authentication > Bad Passwords > No security

How easy:
No Security > Bio-metric authentication > Bad Passwords > Good Passwords

Biometrics have the best balance of security/ease.

We happy?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I burned off all my fingerprints so the KGB can't identity me

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The question I have, is when will they make the screen itself a fingerprint reader so you don't have to have a separate spot/button for it? Is that even possible?

I actually like the rear 6P/Pixel spot for it. Can't use the front one near as easily as it's only useful use case is when it is sitting on it's back somewhere for me. But if you had it in the screen itself, well then.

Now on button placement itself, I still am a huge fan of how LG's G2,G3,G4,V10 had theirs (even better the ones having the Power/Fingerprint combined), but apparently putting the volume buttons in the back too was too much for most people to grasp.

So were continually stuck with side placement that ALWAYS gets hit anytime I try to hand my phone to anyone to look at or take a picture. It never fails to happen, even people that have their own side buttons to contend with so you would think they would have a grasp on how to grab/hold a phone by now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

The question I have, is when will they make the screen itself a fingerprint reader so you don't have to have a separate spot/button for it? Is that even possible?
Apple was granted a patent on it recently.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I read some leak that apple was supposed to be integrating the fp reader into the digitizer but I don't know if you could do it for the whole screen

E: well there you go

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No way, crap :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They were granted a patent for a capacitive fingerprint sensor integrated into the display.

Qualcomm is capable of doing it with ultrasonic sensors, so the patent shouldn't interfere.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

They were granted a patent for a capacitive fingerprint sensor integrated into the display.

Qualcomm is capable of doing it with ultrasonic sensors, so the patent shouldn't interfere.
Okay: Apple was recently granted patent for a technique for doing it. Other vendors are free to pursue other techniques.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 7, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yeah, that's the only time.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If I didn't know better I'd swear you were an alt of Spanish Manlove instead of merely competing for the title of saltiest ex-mod

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Wrist Watch posted:

If I didn't know better I'd swear you were an alt of Spanish Manlove instead of merely competing for the title of saltiest ex-mod

Hoooooo boy. Mod drama is the best drama

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

nimper posted:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

nimper posted:

Disagree, lol.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 20, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

What the forum really needs is lots of people backseat moderating in an Android thread.

My posts moderate themselves as long as I'm not within 150 m of my home.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
What are basic troubleshooting steps for a Galaxy S7 with a speaker that stopped working? It pumps audio out just phone over the headphone jack. I've tried the usual muting, unmuting, safe mode, checking different apps with no luck. Any other ideas?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

terre packet posted:

What are basic troubleshooting steps for a Galaxy S7 with a speaker that stopped working? It pumps audio out just phone over the headphone jack. I've tried the usual muting, unmuting, safe mode, checking different apps with no luck. Any other ideas?

*#0*# in dialer for diagnostic menu, tap speaker test. Does it work? You have a software/app issue. Hear nothing? Hardware problem, get it serviced.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

datajosh posted:

Lately Smart Lock has decided that I'm always at home and is keeping my phone unlocked everywhere. If I turn off Home in my trusted places, it goes right back to locking, but as soon as I turn it back on, it unlocks, regardless of where I am. Has anyone else run into this?

Edit: Well, turning off the option to scan for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth even when they're off seems to have fixed it for now.
Apparently that was only a temporary fix, Smart Lock is so loving flaky.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Besides the Apple rumors, there's also a rumor that Xiaomi will have a phone with it later this year.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ola posted:

My posts moderate themselves as long as I'm not within 150 m of my home.

Haha, I appreciated this :)

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

terre packet posted:

Could also try cleaning out your headphone jack. It might have compacted poo poo in it making it think something is plugged in.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So WugFresh finally got his Pixel today, so with any luck we'll be seeing a "Pixel Root Toolkit" soon-ish.

https://twitter.com/WugFresh/status/839164255190597632

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I definitely trust people named "WugFresh"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Endless Mike posted:

I definitely trust people named "WugFresh"

The Nexus Root Toolkit was fine. I don't care what he calls himself, his stuff works.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not really sure why you need a toolkit for something that requires like three commands in a terminal.

Edit: Now I'm curious how well Bash on Ubuntu on Windows 10 works with ADB...

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 8, 2017

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

terre packet posted:

My wife's iPhone 6s was doing this today. Always said there were headphones plugged in even when there wasn't. Looking online a ton of people recommended cutting down the cotton on the end of a q tip til it fits in the headphone jack, then insert it repeatedly while spinning it around and stuff (awwww yeaaahhhh). It eventually fixed it. So there's a place to start I guess?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Not really sure why you need a toolkit for something that requires like three commands in a terminal.

Edit: Now I'm curious how well Bash on Ubuntu on Windows 10 works with ADB...

You can definitely install ADB and fastboot but I think it doesn't work for the same reason lspci and such don't work

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Does anyone have any good recommendations on a cheap phablet/giant screen phone that has either Type-C to Hdmi out or MHL support? Basically something just to stick an extra t-mobile unlimited data line card in and use for streaming video only. The ZTE Zmax Pro sounds perfect except there is no video out capability.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 8, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So WugFresh finally got his Pixel today, so with any luck we'll be seeing a "Pixel Root Toolkit" soon-ish.

https://twitter.com/WugFresh/status/839164255190597632

What need is there for a toolkit when it's like typing three things in Terminal?

e,f;b

Endless Mike posted:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WhyteRyce posted:

Does anyone have any good recommendations on a cheap phablet/giant screen phone that has either Type-C to Hdmi out or MHL support? Basically something just to stick an extra t-mobile unlimited data line card in and use for streaming video only. The ZTE Zmax Pro sounds perfect except there is no video out capability.

get a Chromecast or a fire stick or whatever if you want video out.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nimper posted:

get a Chromecast or a fire stick or whatever if you want video out.

Was preferring something my parents can just plug in and not have to deal with local casting but this looks like the only option

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 8, 2017

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WhyteRyce posted:

Was preferring something my parents can just plug in and not have to deal with local casting but this looks like the only option

What are they going to be watching on this giant screen phone slash cheap phablet? This is not something you should make your parents do unless they're already tech savvy.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nimper posted:

What are they going to be watching on this giant screen phone slash cheap phablet? This is not something you should make your parents do unless they're already tech savvy.

Is watching Netflix or Amazon on an unlimited t-mobile LTE line while on vacation considered realm of only the tech savvy?

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 8, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

datajosh posted:

Apparently that was only a temporary fix, Smart Lock is so loving flaky.

Dunno if it'll help, but I had to add a nearby location manually because 'Home' was really unreliable. That was ages ago so maybe it's ok now, but I can't be bothered changing it to see

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

So ~800 bucks magically reappeared in my bank account. Called Google to see if my Pixel order was canceled for some reason. It's not canceled, but the initial girl I spoke with couldn't pull up the order with the number I gave her from my confirmation email. She put me on hold and had to consult someone in shipping/refunds and confirmed that my order is still pending and that my phone should ship on around March 30th (but it could be sooner!).

I still think it's pretty big bullshit that Google isn't more transparent about how long it takes to actually ship or, more importantly, what the stock is actually like and why I won't get this thing for over a month after ordering.

Not to get back into BankChat, but now I have no idea when this 800 bucks is going to vanish back out of my account. Y'all were right. I should stop using debit for large purchases.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Is watching Netflix or Amazon on an unlimited t-mobile LTE line while on vacation considered realm of only the tech savvy?

Tech savvy or not, it is weird to travel in order to watch media that is available at home. ("Where should we go on vacation? The big city? The beach?" "Somewhere I can binge watch Orange is the New Black, I'm not leaving the hotel.")

That said, I can see why you're trying to avoid casting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Tech savvy or not, it is weird to travel in order to watch media that is available at home. ("Where should we go on vacation? The big city? The beach?" "Somewhere I can binge watch Orange is the New Black, I'm not leaving the hotel.")

That said, I can see why you're trying to avoid casting.

I don't know what kind of cocaine your parents do while on vacation but there's definitely downtime like before bed or while going over itinerary for the day where I could see somebody watching Netflix or something, especially if they are in a foreign language country.