Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
What about the wireless distance of the controllers?

I've watched more than one youtube video where the controllers begin to desync after being moved 5 or 6 feet away from the base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Nintendo is seriously saying dead pixels normal? That's a new low.

Ya, that is badly worded by them. But most companies (for electronics, devices, monitors, etc) won't replace your device unless there is a group of 3 or more dead pixels or a bunch across the screen. Just a dead pixel or two, and they will tell you too bad. Nintendo should have worded it that sometimes dead pixels occur during manufacturing and if there are more than X many, please contact support.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

People treat their devices like poo poo. No matter what version of Guerilla glass phones use people still treat them like poo poo and destroy them. It doesn't surprise me that people are likely slamming their switch into the dock or otherwise mistreating it. I don't see how my dock can scratch the screen with how I put it in, for example.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

GreatGreen posted:

So there are a lot of reports coming out about the quality of the Switch, from tons of displays with bad pixels to badly machined, loose feeling controllers when connected to the screen, to the actual docking station scratching the piss out of the screen after less than a handful of docks and undocks.

Anybody here had these issues or have I just been fed false information?

It's true but it is unknown how many people it is happening too.

There are some issues with the Dock where some are shipped with a slight curve (Manufacturing defect on a production run?) and the plastic is scratching the surface and sometimes the display. Best thing to do is look straight down at your dock to make sure it isn't slightly bent. With regards to the scratches, a lot of that could have been avoided with Gorilla Glass, but that wasn't done.

Some people are attaching the joycons in the opposite direction. (+ to Minus and reverse on the other side) and it is making them very hard to detach as a result. This one is user error.

The Left Joycon has a known hardware issue with interference from inside the joycon itself. There is a small metal square casing that is causing the left joycon interference. A Youtuber soldered a wire to the bluetooth antenna connection point sending the signal downward, and it resolved the issue. So this proves this isn't going to be patched in a software update, nor is it a signalling issue. It was an engineering mistake on Nintendo's part to try that, and I would expect a stealth revision to fix it in upcoming Switch production runs.

Aside from that people are reporting the normal issues for what could be RMA devices for standard Tech issues. Screen glitches, hard locks, software locks and closes, a weird high pitched sound and complete lock of the system, and DOA, etc. Again, there isn't a tally as to how many people it is happening to so it could be wider spread, it may not be. But definitely something to be concerned about given the totality of the circumstances with everything else.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 7, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Utnayan posted:

Some people are attaching the joycons in the opposite direction. (+ to Minus and reverse on the other side) and it is making them very hard to detach as a result. This one is user error.

That this didn't get caught in product development loving baffles me.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

Nintendo is seriously saying dead pixels normal? That's a new low.

I'd be curious why this is your opinion of "new low" considering literally every tech company out there I can find (Apple, Samsung, Toshiba, MS, Sony, HP, etc etc etc) has the same policy of "yeah dead pixels are normal." Apple even goes so far as to say that if they trashed laptops with dead pixels they'd be much more expensive and you just have to suck it up.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

So there are a lot of reports coming out about the quality of the Switch, from tons of displays with bad pixels to badly machined, loose feeling controllers when connected to the screen, to the actual docking station scratching the piss out of the screen after less than a handful of docks and undocks.

Anybody here had these issues or have I just been fed false information?

I haven only experienced a single de-synch issue in well over 20 hours of zelda and it was fixed by shifting my hand slightly. Everything else has been perfect.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
i don't mind a plastic display and think it is more practical than glass. given this is a console for babbies, when dropped (it will be dropped, especially by kids) the screen won't shatter and ruin your device. the console should have come with a screen protector though

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I'm not a manufacturing expert, or a handheld tech expert, but isn't the choice not to use gorilla glass on a device like this an especially dumb one?

^^^ ah, so it's plastic, not regular glass. Yeah that makes more sense.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Echoing the general surprise that the TV/Handheld gimmick is actually something I'm enjoying. I don't play any of my handhelds at home, so it's weird that this is somehow different. Maybe cause it's more tablet-y? I haven't even traveled and it's been really nice to continue the game around the house. If my wife needs some quiet/wants to use the TV I just grab the console and slap headphones on.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

MiddleOne posted:

That this didn't get caught in product development loving baffles me.

Yeah I fully agree.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

murked by dragon posted:

i hope the switch continues to do well. unlike the wii u, which was a piece of poo poo rightfully overlooked by many tens of millions of people, the switch is actually a Good Console

I liked the WiiU a lot and wish I got mine sooner than I did. People poo poo on it just for the sake of it. Not saying it wasn't perfect or that I am glad it wasn't as powerful as the PS4 or XB1, but it was an underrated system.

The Switch has more potential, but it is too early to say it is better until we can see more games. Especially considering the frame rate drops, Zelda is either pretty much pushing it to its limits or people still need to figure out how to more efficiently make games for it to get more out of it. If it is the former, who knows how it will fare in the long run? We could get stuck with up-priced mobile games or people may actually put time into getting AAA games on it and just lock them to 720p with low draw distances and graphics. Sadly, I don't expect a GTA6 coming out on it, or a mainline FF game or a Witcher 3 port, but I guess that is why I have a PS4/PC/XB1. I would really love to just get down to a Nintendo + PC since Sony is dropping the ball on exclusives (been more of a Playstation gamer post N64, though still played a lot of Nintendo).

I'm not making GBS threads on the Switch, because I am really enjoying mine and would love to make it my main current gen console instead of the PS4, but we will have to see what comes out of it.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I think they made a good decision with the plastic screen considering that a substantial number of these devices will be in the hands of children who A) couldn't give a poo poo about bezel scratching, head-scratching of a design flaw as that may be, and B) will drop it all the drat time

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

XyrlocShammypants posted:

People treat their devices like poo poo. No matter what version of Guerilla glass phones use people still treat them like poo poo and destroy them. It doesn't surprise me that people are likely slamming their switch into the dock or otherwise mistreating it. I don't see how my dock can scratch the screen with how I put it in, for example.

Don't start this discussion in a thread where people ask for "goon recommended" screen protectors and talk about applying their plastic shields in a misty bathroom unironically. Just be glad you're not getting upsold and move on.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Also, for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, did I read that they are bringing back being able to hold an item and pick up another in queue like in prior games? That is the only reason I rank MK7 over MK8. But if Deluxe is bringing that back, then it will definitely be the best IMO, especially being portable and console mode.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It's bringing that back and an actual battle mode and a few items like the feather

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's bringing that back and an actual battle mode and a few items like the feather

Thanks. Ya, that Splatoon battle arena looks great. Brings back memories of the N64 days.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Handheld mode makes playing Zelda during lunch easy. Oh god I still have so many parts of the map to explore.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FireMrshlBill posted:

Ya, that is badly worded by them. But most companies (for electronics, devices, monitors, etc) won't replace your device unless there is a group of 3 or more dead pixels or a bunch across the screen. Just a dead pixel or two, and they will tell you too bad. Nintendo should have worded it that sometimes dead pixels occur during manufacturing and if there are more than X many, please contact support.

Exactly, it sounds shittier than it needs to be, they're an rear end hair away from sounding like it's a feature.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Who's behind ARMS? Between Splatoon on Wii U and ARMS, I think it's really obvious Nintendo has some great young talent in their company to take things over from the old guard.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

My only gripe with the screen is that it feels sort of rubbery.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im excited to get home and play zelda

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Going on break at work and whipping out my portable Zelda box is extremely cool and good

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Goddamn, watching videos of how people treat the Switch makes my skin crawl.
Like one guy trying to take off (correctly installed) wrist straps and nearly rips off the T clamps. Have some goddamn finesse you troglodytes!

We are truly descended from apes.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Not a Children posted:

I think they made a good decision with the plastic screen considering that a substantial number of these devices will be in the hands of children who A) couldn't give a poo poo about bezel scratching, head-scratching of a design flaw as that may be, and B) will drop it all the drat time

My kids throw the wiiu pad around daily for the last 5 years. I won't let them touch the switch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What's the recommended Switch case? I want to take this thing out of the house.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The "Baby" game in 1-2-Switch should have been a pack-in to get people in the habit of treating the Switch like a precious little child

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Cradled in your arms like a baby

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love that I can put games into sleep mode at any time and jump right back into them right away.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should have painted the + and - symbols on the straps to make them more visible. As it is if you aren't in a brightly lit room it is difficult to tell which end is which.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

GreatGreen posted:

What about the wireless distance of the controllers?

I've watched more than one youtube video where the controllers begin to desync after being moved 5 or 6 feet away from the base.

I've tried mine from behind a wall about 5 meters off and they worked fine, it seems to vary a great deal

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

murked by dragon posted:

i hope the switch continues to do well. unlike the wii u, which was a piece of poo poo rightfully overlooked by many tens of millions of people, the switch is actually a Good Console

The WiiU was the best Nintendo Console ever.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

SeANMcBAY posted:

I pre-ordered the waterfield designs one. It's not gonna get to me until like April unfortunately but it looks like the best quality by a mile and carries everything you need except for maybe the wall charger you can just keep in your pocket or something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I really like the Hori one on amazon for 20 bucks.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

parallelodad posted:

They should have painted the + and - symbols on the straps to make them more visible. As it is if you aren't in a brightly lit room it is difficult to tell which end is which.

This is not me defending Nintendo as I don't have a switch yet, but can't you touch feel them?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MR63I6F/ref=ya_st_dp_summary

I bought this because it seemed small and basic. I needed something to throw in my work bag but not junk up the rest of my stuff.
It'll be here soon. I'll report back.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

ratbert90 posted:

The WiiU was the best Nintendo Console ever.

agreed my man

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tatsuta Age posted:

agreed my man

:smug::hf::smug:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Dr Cheeto posted:

The "Baby" game in 1-2-Switch should have been a pack-in to get people in the habit of treating the Switch like a precious little child

It doesn't make sense to not include a pack-in game. Although to think about it, do any consoles come with pack-ins nowadays? Or even in the not-too-recent past?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MR63I6F/ref=ya_st_dp_summary

I bought this because it seemed small and basic. I needed something to throw in my work bag but not junk up the rest of my stuff.
It'll be here soon. I'll report back.

That's the one I bought and I really like it.

• Locked thread