Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was really disappointed when Zora's Domain didn't have a clothing store, do the other races at least have one? I need more fashion damnit! :arghfist::(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

El Burbo posted:

It's all well and good that link wants to gently caress fish, but can I date Paya please

This, but Kass instead.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I was really disappointed when Zora's Domain didn't have a clothing store, do the other races at least have one? I need more fashion damnit! :arghfist::(

The Gorons do, at least.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

squidgee posted:

Just confirmed that chickens are still the same deal as every other Zelda game.

:getin:
Can you weaponize them?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Your Computer posted:

Speaking of, is there a full set of Zora Armor? I only got the shirt because of the story but I never found the hat or pants.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Gerudo do

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Speaking of, is there a full set of Zora Armor? I only got the shirt because of the story but I never found the hat or pants.

Yes. You have to do other things for the hat and pants. For the hat, you can get a hint as to where to find it by reading those Zora history tablets.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Zore posted:

We know that Zora age slower than Hylians and live a ton longer. Mipha talks about it during the cutscene you get with her and Link on the Elephant. Sidon is over 100 for instance.

Also Zora's domain is the only place you go where a bunch of people are like "You're that fucker Link! Go to hell!" Because they remember him.

She even says at the start of the quest that the reason she's having you follow the letter instead of doing it herself is because her mom won't let her wander too far from home. I think Mipha is what a Zora teenager is supposed to look like, since she's halfway between the children and the adults.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! :3:
Is there any way to get heat/cold resistant clothing without actually getting to their respective locations first? I'm extremely bad at using elixirs.

s.i.r.e. posted:

There's a full set and it's pretty nice. You get the pants from a sidequest in Zora's Domain and the hat is hidden in a chest. The location of the chest is on one of the large ancient tablets around Zora's Domain.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Harrow posted:

The only downside is that weapon durability makes me want to avoid combat when I can, because even though I usually win, it often costs more than I gained. Maybe when the light scaling kicks in and enemies start carrying better weapons I'll stop feeling like I wasted durability on my good weapons just to walk away with a handful of arrows and a club.

For real don't worry about it. There are weapons everywhere and very quickly you'll find better.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Kirios posted:

I...

I think this is the best game of all time? 30 hours in or so, have only done one of the dungeons. My excitement for it hasn't slowed down at all. Even Witcher 3, my previous game of this generation, got a little long in the tooth towards the end.

I loved Witcher 3 to death, but I'm definitely loving this more, and I'm struggling to figure out why. I think part of it is, W3 only really has three regions. BotW has a lot more, and a lot more distinct biomes to go with it. So the world seems a lot bigger, but at the same time, BotW seems to respect my time a lot more? It never takes that long to get anywhere- or if it does, it's because I got sidetracked by some other interesting thing. More than that, every little area has its own distinct feel. A lot of the space between places in W3 felt like filler; just somewhere to ride through. In BotW, I don't get that feeling. Hell, I'm not sure I could get lost in this game, even Generic Mountain Valley #17 has a unique identity.

What's bugging me is that I cannot work out exactly how they accomplished this. There's nothing obviously different here from any other open world roam-a-thron.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Just noticed that like all of the stables and some other random walls have cooking recipes on them

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

El Burbo posted:

I think it doesn't, since a pot lid can survive a guardian laser if you party it

You can parry lasers? This changes everything

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

causticBeet posted:

Rain is the most hilariously unfun bullshit. Like it's a neat idea but you literally cannot climb in the rain and it's such a huge part of the traversal mechanics.

I think it's hilarious. I didn't even realize that rain had an effect on climbing, so I was showing my friend the game and said "you can climb any surface no problem!" And proceeded to slip down a tree.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Your Computer posted:

I'm extremely bad at using elixirs.
I hear, frozen meat works as ice cream.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Is there any more Korok to explore without being swallowed by the mist? It's such a relatively small area for being so cool looking, so I'm gonna be sad if that's all the whimsical woodsy stuff in the game. Also, it seems like a huge chunk of map is taken up by Lost Woods mist shenanigans. I feel a bit cheated. >: (

causticBeet posted:

Rain is the most hilariously unfun bullshit. Like it's a neat idea but you literally cannot climb in the rain and it's such a huge part of the traversal mechanics.

The frequency of rain sucks a giant butthole. A few things I've noticed that kind of help:

- rain is somewhat dynamic in that it won't just fall through scenery. I've frequently been able to climb like normal if there's a ledge/overhang/anything above me shielding the rain.
- mashing the jump button will get you farther than attempting to climb normal speed.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

What's bugging me is that I cannot work out exactly how they accomplished this. There's nothing obviously different here from any other open world roam-a-thron.
The korok puzzles make a huge difference, I think. The more you do the more you realize what to look for and the more you'll then find. Keeps you interested in all of the terrain, not just your destination.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You can parry lasers? This changes everything

It really does. Those broken down Guardians that activate and shoot lasers at you are a joke with this knowledge since it just takes one parry to destroy them :getin:

El Burbo posted:

It's all well and good that link wants to gently caress fish, but can I date Paya please

marriage DLC when :yeah:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Your Computer posted:

Yeah. Gerudo has 3 outfits, Goron 1, Rito 1.

Plus Gerudo has 5 hats as well. There are also 3 shrine-reward outfits, an outfit from a hidden travelling merchant, 2 sidequest exclusive pants in the Gerudo region, 4 travelling merchant masks, 3 outfits in Kakariko/Hermeno, 1 anti-guardian outfit and the old shirt/pants

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Yeah. Gerudo has 3 outfits, Goron 1, Rito 1.

Plus Gerudo has 5 hats as well. There are also 3 shrine-reward outfits, an outfit from a hidden travelling merchant, 2 sidequest exclusive pants in the Gerudo region, 4 travelling merchant masks, 3 outfits in Kakariko/Hermeno, 1 anti-guardian outfit and the old shirt/pants

I know where I'm going next :madmax:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

Just noticed that like all of the stables and some other random walls have cooking recipes on them

I've been taking pictures of all of them

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Your Computer posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Breath of the Wild: who knows how fishgirl adolescence works

I prefer from a few pages back--

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Breath of the Wild: But like- Why a fish got a titty?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I loved Witcher 3 to death, but I'm definitely loving this more, and I'm struggling to figure out why. I think part of it is, W3 only really has three regions. BotW has a lot more, and a lot more distinct biomes to go with it. So the world seems a lot bigger, but at the same time, BotW seems to respect my time a lot more? It never takes that long to get anywhere- or if it does, it's because I got sidetracked by some other interesting thing. More than that, every little area has its own distinct feel. A lot of the space between places in W3 felt like filler; just somewhere to ride through. In BotW, I don't get that feeling. Hell, I'm not sure I could get lost in this game, even Generic Mountain Valley #17 has a unique identity.

I really think it comes down to a couple of things (that I'll compare to other open world games that are both very, very good in their own right):

1. They made traversal part of the game in a way most open world games don't. In The Witcher 3, your choices are run or ride Roach. In Horizon, your choices are run or override a machine to ride, and sometimes you can climb specific cliffs. In Zelda, you can run, ride a horse, get up high and glide, climb every mountain or hill in your way or go around them, make yourself an updraft to glide up and get a head start on climbing, swim up a waterfall...

2. The world at once feels big and spacious and packed with life. In The Witcher 3, if you wander around, what you're going to find are monster nests with a couple of out-of-the-way side quests. In Horizon, same deal--you're going to find some machines to fight, maybe a big one, and possibly a bandit camp or one of the handful of collectibles. You're never going to go far in either game without stumbling into one of those things. In Horizon, you'll even see most places that are actual destinations pre-marked on your map, including cauldrons, even when you haven't climbed a tallneck to reveal that region's map. In Zelda, you're going to find korok puzzles, weird NPCs who want to chat, shrine puzzles, and shrines, and those are just the things that a) aren't enemies, and b) aren't marked on your map at all, even when you reveal the region by climbing a tower.

What that did is it made a huge open world that takes a while to get around (when you aren't fast traveling) into something that you enjoy taking that time to traverse. I won't say I don't feel the need to use fast travel--game's fuckin' huge and sometimes I don't want to spend an hour traveling to get back to Impa and finish a quest--but there's never a time when I'm going somewhere new and wondering, "Am I there yet?"

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Can you get a classic green outfit without amiibo?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Mylan posted:

yes

you're not going to like what it takes to get it though

clear all shrines

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

yes

you're not going to like what it takes to get it though

clear all shrines

On the bright side, the shrines own and I want to do that anyway.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

gently caress

Oh well not like I wasn't going to do that eventually anyway

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Harrow posted:

I really think it comes down to a couple of things (that I'll compare to other open world games that are both very, very good in their own right):

1. They made traversal part of the game in a way most open world games don't. In The Witcher 3, your choices are run or ride Roach. In Horizon, your choices are run or override a machine to ride, and sometimes you can climb specific cliffs. In Zelda, you can run, ride a horse, get up high and glide, climb every mountain or hill in your way or go around them, make yourself an updraft to glide up and get a head start on climbing, swim up a waterfall...

2. The world at once feels big and spacious and packed with life. In The Witcher 3, if you wander around, what you're going to find are monster nests with a couple of out-of-the-way side quests. In Horizon, same deal--you're going to find some machines to fight, maybe a big one, and possibly a bandit camp or one of the handful of collectibles. You're never going to go far in either game without stumbling into one of those things. In Horizon, you'll even see most places that are actual destinations pre-marked on your map, including cauldrons, even when you haven't climbed a tallneck to reveal that region's map. In Zelda, you're going to find korok puzzles, weird NPCs who want to chat, shrine puzzles, and shrines, and those are just the things that a) aren't enemies, and b) aren't marked on your map at all, even when you reveal the region by climbing a tower.

What that did is it made a huge open world that takes a while to get around (when you aren't fast traveling) into something that you enjoy taking that time to traverse. I won't say I don't feel the need to use fast travel--game's fuckin' huge and sometimes I don't want to spend an hour traveling to get back to Impa and finish a quest--but there's never a time when I'm going somewhere new and wondering, "Am I there yet?"

To add to the point about the map not being filled in for you, I'm mind hosed thinking about the strong possibility that there's stuff in this that no one has found.

Yeah, I know there are official guides but gently caress those guides. If there was ever a game to say "you know... we're not going to publish one for this game" this would've been it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm wearing the Stealth slacks, Shiekah torso, and Hylian hood all dyed white and now I'm Ezio Auditore.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Holy poo poo, just found Dark Link armor. I don't think I have enough for all of it.

:negative:

Mylan posted:

Don't think so.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

I think this is because of the game's systems and core mechanics. You can use any bit of terrain or any object in the world in conjunction with your abilities for some purpose. A boring ol' chunk of ugly mountain geography can actually be utilized, whether you're rolling something down it, climbing up it, flying off of it, etc. The same with grass, water, etc. The systems make everything at least somewhat meaningful and not just art assets to look at and pass by.

I also dig that animals/critters/food/materials that are only present in certain locales give the game a bit of a pokemon element. A dragonfly that gives heat resistance is found roughly where you'd expect, etc.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

1. They made traversal part of the game in a way most open world games don't.

This is the best thing ever about Breath of the Wild.

My mind was blown when I realized I could climb anything, only held back by my stamina (which can be upgraded, refilled, etc.). No "climbable walls", just walls. No invisible walls or "can't go that way" messages. I feel like their design process was "can't have sequence breaking if there's no sequence :haw:". It's surprising coming from Nintendo, and especially surprising after Skyward Sword which was painfully condescending in a never-ending tutorial kind of way. Sure you can get to Kakariko by following the road and talking to NPCs that give you some tutorials along the way... but nothing's stopping you from climbing straight up the Dueling Peaks and paragliding straight over there (which I did) :v:

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

Eiji has stated in an interview that they started with an empty field and kept playing the game and adding things to make it fun and playing and adding over and over endlessly so I'm sure at a lot points they felt filler moments too and would add a little something to make it more interesting

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Welp trying to climb some ruins for a tower and it's raining better sit around in game idle and wait for it to pass

Edit - like lol way to have a hard failure condition on your actually decent climbing/platforming puzzles that is 100% unavoidable. Please tell me there's a "gently caress off rain" elixir im missing

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

causticBeet posted:

Welp trying to climb some ruins for a tower and it's raining better sit around in game idle and wait for it to pass

Edit - like lol way to have a hard failure condition on your actually decent climbing/platforming puzzles that is 100% unavoidable. Please tell me there's a "gently caress off rain" elixir im missing

If you can find shelter you should be able to make a fire and pass time. I think you can do this if you can find trees that block the rain, but I'm not certain, haven't tried it myself / have heard otherwise.

jemsy
May 27, 2010

DOG EATS APPLE
:3:
I found a lovely little cave full of great ore deposits; worth marking on your map and returning periodically.

Just east of Lurelin there's a rock monster in an alcove. Climb the wall behind it to reach a landing with a little pond and a cave. Go in the cave -> profit.

Also tons of cattle roaming in this region. Shoot and collect.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Can someone answer me a yes/no spoiler-y question relating to finishing dungeon near (at?) Death Mountain:
Is the power you get from the ghost goron related to items, weapons or materials?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Killed my first guardian! It was one of the ones stuck in the ground... I ended up paragliding on top of it and landing on the back of it's head and it couldn't figure out where I was attacking from. Huzzah!

I've also been thinking about the gameflow a bit... The game points you East towards Kakariko at the start and I feel like most people bumbled into Lanayru and Zora's Domain shortly afterwards. Did anyone trying saying 'gently caress it' to Kakariko and striking out west or north at the start of the game? How did that work out for you? I'd be curious to try it myself.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Your Computer posted:

Well they still have an armor set, and you don't have to spend any money on it

Chest is given to you as part of the story line
Pants are a quest reward for taking a picture of the centaur you get the arrows from
Helmet is in Toto lake west of the minotaur peak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calsonic
Apr 13, 2008

So I said gently caress it, I'm gonna go beat the game and..

I was getting murdered by all the guardians around the front of the castle, so I looked around the back and found a waterfall leading up to the castle. Turns out that waterfall lead to the final boss and I skipped pretty much the entirety of Hyrule Castle inadvertently. Kind of anticlimactic.