Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If Rubio ran off to another team I'd definitely follow that team tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I do that with baseball. Currently I'm a Red Sox fan because of Mookie

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Chairchucker posted:

If Rubio ran off to another team I'd definitely follow that team tho.

It was almost the Knicks which would have severely tested that theory.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Doltos posted:

Even I cannot condone being a red sox fan

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wait, Doltos, you're a Knicks/Red Sox fan?

Say it ain't so man.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I'm on the Kawhi MVP train now. He's a beast.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Nobody watches the Magic, but since Ibaka's been traded, Aaron Gordo's been playing power forward and putting up the sort of numbers that we expected from him. He looks like a good solid player and not a lost lamb

Reminder that with no drafting changes, Orlando's frontcourt could have Dedmon-Gordon-Harris with Vucevic and Saric off the bench, or Saric at the 3 or however you want to do it. No easy way to fix that backcourt but hey, maybe playing with Saric would make Hezonja good consistently?

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They're slow paced and defensive minded, they've won a billion times already, their star player's schtick is that he has no personality, which comes after 20 years of their previous star's schtick being that he's boring, and who the gently caress cares about LaMarcus Aldridge?

You sound like you're describing a financial services company.

They play about 1 possession per game slower than the SSoL Suns and somewhat faster than the Adelman Kings. That's slow compared to the average this year but it's not like watching the loving 90s Heat.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Lmao cavs

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

RCarr posted:

Say it ain't so man.

That's hosed up.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

RCarr posted:

Say it ain't so man.

Sounds like a Connecticut man

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
In the past 15 years of baseball I've been a Yankees, Phillies, Brewers, Mets, and Red Sox fan. I follow players cus the sports so drat awful

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Actually I agree with Daltos. I mean, not with his choice to watch baseball (because it's a dogshit sport [but Game 7 was pretty dope I'll admit]), but following players instead of teams is the way to go.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Mookie is a really good choice to make a single player fandom decision on.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

RCarr posted:

Say it ain't so man.

Boosh! posted:

Sounds like a Connecticut man

This is my CT-born dad (he also refuses to admit he was a Yankees fan for the first 40 years of his life).

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I could never forgive myself if I changed allegiances. The only reason I could see it happening is if I moved to a new city, but my NY teams would always be my true loves. (For better or for worse)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That game Seven was a really good entertaining game of baseball that I can only say is that because of hindsight because during it I was either in "Holy poo poo gently caress yes the Cubs are gonna win gently caress you cleveland 3-1 bitch", and "Holy poo poo the Cubs are gonna loving lose this fire joe maddon for this massive choke job, shoot jason heyward into the sun, "

That game was loving miserable with the highs and lows as someone with skin in the game.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

IcePhoenix posted:

I just want to chime in and laugh at the lack of awareness that's required to suggest that a Portland fan root for the team LMA ran off to.

Livid at the notion.

I also watched the Kings sometimes for Cousins, but now keep an eye out for the Pelicans games between Cousins, Frazier, and Davis.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I am a Blazers fan that likes the Spurs and Aldridge AMA

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

zelah posted:

Livid at the notion.

I also watched the Kings sometimes for Cousins, but now keep an eye out for the Pelicans games between Cousins, Frazier, and Davis.

I suggest checking back in with them the last two weeks of the season. It's gonna be ugly at least up until then. I think they are just throwing random poo poo at the wall to see what kinds of sets and schemes work and which don't so they can go into the off-season armed with better knowledge of what will work.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Oh, Pels sign Wayne Seldon as their new 10-day contract to replace the expiring one for Reggie Williams.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
In dramatic overreaction after 6 games:

Is it too late in the season for Buddy Hield to win rookie of the year?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Athanatos posted:

Well, if you look back to 2009 you had a similar situation. Brandon Jennings and Tyreke Evans got all the early season hype. But Steph Curry came on strong at the end and definitely put himself into strong discussion by the end of the year because Jennings and Evans started to fade.

Now I'm not saying the situations are the exact same, but Buddy Hield is following that Steph Curry trajectory pretty closely.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I am a Blazers fan that likes the Spurs and Aldridge AMA

how does it feel to be a cool dude

Dexo posted:

That game Seven was a really good entertaining game of baseball that I can only say is that because of hindsight because during it I was either in "Holy poo poo gently caress yes the Cubs are gonna win gently caress you cleveland 3-1 bitch", and "Holy poo poo the Cubs are gonna loving lose this fire joe maddon for this massive choke job, shoot jason heyward into the sun, "

That game was loving miserable with the highs and lows as someone with skin in the game.

It ruled because it had the most Baseball moment possible when there was a rain delay in extra innings in game 7 of the World Series.

Athanatos posted:

idk, for better or worse I think that for voters (who are still sportswriters) he has to be extra terrific to overcome the stigma of such a lopsided trade

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Athanatos posted:

It shouldn't, with Embiid going down it's basically Saric, Brogdon and him. People decided he sucked because the trade was lopsided, but he's been pretty decent for a rookie and in this class that might mean you are the best.

Once again, the guy with the most total points usually gets ROY. It's not a hard award to predict.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Doltos posted:

Same but Yankees because Didi is my guy.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The Spurs should cut their worst player and have Duncan come out of retirement.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Athanatos posted:

Does anyone think that trade would have happened if DMC hadn't had his last couple of tantrums?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Yes because s u p e r m a x

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Matt Moore of Hardwood Paroxysm and CBS Sports proposes changing the All-Star game to multiple five-minute long rounds of 3v3: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/could-a-berserk-3-on-3-tournament-fix-the-all-star-game/

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I guess it's that drought after trade deadline and before final playoff push/mvp voting that people start fanficing

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Buddy is still probably in 3rd even if you only consider everyone's post all-star break. He can maybe still win if the narrative gets behind him and Dario gets injured though, maybe. Even by Lockback's benchmark Buddy would have to outscore Dario by like over 150 points over the last 19 games when Dario is still outscoring him post trade while putting up much better counting stats everywhere else too.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Kibner posted:

Matt Moore of Hardwood Paroxysm and CBS Sports proposes changing the All-Star game to multiple five-minute long rounds of 3v3: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/could-a-berserk-3-on-3-tournament-fix-the-all-star-game/

if it's anything like the 3-3 and 5-5 tournaments we had at basketball camps, they are in for so much fun and PIZZA at the end!!!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kibner posted:

Also the halftime show should include the winners and runners up from the saturday night stuff in a game of lightning

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Does anyone think that trade would have happened if DMC hadn't had his last couple of tantrums?

The main reason why they traded DMC is because they didn't want to pay 200 million dollars.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jota posted:

Buddy is still probably in 3rd even if you only consider everyone's post all-star break. He can maybe still win if the narrative gets behind him and Dario gets injured though, maybe. Even by Lockback's benchmark Buddy would have to outscore Dario by like over 150 points over the last 19 games when Dario is still outscoring him post trade while putting up much better counting stats everywhere else too.

I think its Dario too, but Buddy is in the mix.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tae posted:

The main reason why they traded DMC is because they didn't want to pay 200 million dollars.

And in a way, I agree with that logic. If you don't believe you can build a contender around a guy who has earned the Supermax, you probably should try to ship him. OTOH if you don't think you can build a contender around a guy who has earned the Supermax, you shouldn't be a loving NBA gm.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

And in a way, I agree with that logic. If you don't believe you can build a contender around a guy who has earned the Supermax, you probably should try to ship him. OTOH if you don't think you can build a contender around a guy who has earned the Supermax, you shouldn't be a loving NBA gm.

"They decided to trade him" was, maybe, only the 3rd dumbest part about the trade.

The 2nd was thinking that 18 months of contract on a guy meant they had to dump him 4 days before the trade deadline because the deals were getting worse.

The first was probably referring to Buddy Hield as the next Steph Curry.

edit: I am not arguing against you or anything, I just like typing all of that out.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

You forgot the return they got. I would have expected a Nets-style robbery of future draft picks for cousins.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

code:
decision_makers = [ 'Geoff Petrie', 'Pete D\'Alessandro', 'Vlade Divac', 'The Maloof Bros', 'Vivek Ranadive']

for idiot in decision_makers:
   print "{0} is a decision maker for the Kings. \
	{0} makes terrible decisions and should not be trusted to run a team. \
	The Sacramento Kings will continue to be a bad team while {0} is allowed to make decisions about the team\n".format(idiot)

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Replace the ASG with a leaguewide game of knockout.

• Locked thread