Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it is plausible to say that Gaelio has grown in a somewhat negative direction, in that McGillis has convinced him that the reform movement is an impossible, dangerous lure created by predators (which, let's be honest, our boy Macky has been making a fairly solid case for all season). That would certainly explain why he's working so comfortably with the Arianrhod Fleet, right down to accepting a Dainsleif gun on his own suit, why he saw putting down a rebellion as a noble duty, and why he sees the best solution as simply killing off the predators. I don't think he's totally blind to Gjallarhorn's atrocities, he just no longer believes that there's a movement out there that wants to do anything worthwhile about them.

It's another reason why Kudelia can be such a game-changer.

Though the funny thing is that Gjallarhorn is very fertile ground for reforms now if they came from the top down. The Seven Stars have hosed up bad on both sides. But of course, Rustal wouldn't unless they're just minor reforms as concessions to the economic blocs, and Iok is too much of a fanboy to disagree. Gaelio could undoubtedly push his father towards reforms and make the argument that even if Rustal saved Gjallarhorn, he and Iok did a great deal in placing Gjallarhorn into such a position in the first place.

But I'd much prefer bringing Kudelia into the limelight again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

This lines up almost exactly with S1 Gaelio knowing Gjallarhorn needs reforming but not actually having any idea why or how.

Remember also that "Gjallarhorn is corrupt and needs reforming" is one of McGillis' ideals, and it's still not clear whether Gaelio espoused it because he believed it or because he was loyally following McGillis.

He's explicitly rejecting McGillis' beliefs now and claiming that people who follow McGillis are being used, so who knows if he even believes it any more.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Argas posted:

Though the funny thing is that Gjallarhorn is very fertile ground for reforms now if they came from the top down. The Seven Stars have hosed up bad on both sides. But of course, Rustal wouldn't unless they're just minor reforms as concessions to the economic blocs, and Iok is too much of a fanboy to disagree. Gaelio could undoubtedly push his father towards reforms and make the argument that even if Rustal saved Gjallarhorn, he and Iok did a great deal in placing Gjallarhorn into such a position in the first place.

But I'd much prefer bringing Kudelia into the limelight again.

It's really hard to say just which way Rustal would go. He makes it clear that he doesn't like unnecessary cruelty, even if he has a very broad definition of 'necessary', and seems to be mostly opposing McGillis because he agrees with Gaelio's reasons for stopping him. He clearly has enormous respect for Gjallarhorn and what it's accomplished, but it remains very unclear how he'd react to a reform package that isn't presented by a sociopathic manchild lunatic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

Remember also that "Gjallarhorn is corrupt and needs reforming" is one of McGillis' ideals, and it's still not clear whether Gaelio espoused it because he believed it or because he was loyally following McGillis.

He's explicitly rejecting McGillis' beliefs now and claiming that people who follow McGillis are being used, so who knows if he even believes it any more.

More that he sees anything McGillis would achieve being far worse long-term with him at the top than what Gjallarhorn does now.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

To be honest, I feel like he's very similar to how he was towards the end of S1. He's still got a twisted sense of noblesse oblige and his personal experience is still several layers removed from the hardship that motivates people like Isurugi or Tekkadan. His response to Isurugi's last words isn't understanding of Isurugi's plight, it's disgust for Isurugi following a madman. This lines up almost exactly with S1 Gaelio knowing Gjallarhorn needs reforming but not actually having any idea why or how.

He's not disgusted with Isurugi, especially since he admits he also followed McGillis in the past. He's disgusted with McGillis, who is actually, legitimately a madman. The panning shots of the dead revolutionaries while Gaelio talked about people being misled by McGillis was explicit enough. I also really enjoyed his turn of phrase about 'a dream of the past', since it captures both the fact Gaelio has rejected McGillis and the reality that the vision McGillis embodies is more reactionary than Rustal's conservatism. McGillis is using the throne of a dead king as his symbol and has no coherent ideals beyond the pursuit and expression of power for its own sake. If you want real change to come to the setting, he's a false idol.

Once McGillis is dead, the survivors will have to pick up the pieces. I think it's disingenuous to castigate Gaelio for not setting out a reformist platform when he's necessarily all-in on defeating the person who killed his childhood friend, nearly killed him, is engaged to his sister and all that. I agree it remains to be seen if Gaelio has the vision to genuinely reform Gjallahorn himself, but I do think his heart is in the right place and he could be a force for change if someone took the lead.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Like honestly, I don't think Gaelio's really fighting for anything. He's mainly concerned with opposing McGillis, who he's determined is in the wrong and a bad dude. I'm pretty sure he's working with Rustal less because he actually agrees with the status quo or what the dude represents , but because it is the most effective way to oppose his ex-bestie.

I don't think it's even entirely because of revenge. Gaelio seems to have really made a big effort to understand McGillis, to figure out why he betrayed him and what his reasons were. Which is a pretty big departure from season 1 where he was so invested in killing the Tekkadan guys without bothering to try and understand them or their motivations. Now though I think he sincerely wanted to figure out what McGillis wants to accomplish and understand how he thinks, it's just that by doing this he came to the conclusion that McGillis and his ideals are wrong and need to be stopped. I bet he never even thought about if he agreed with Rustal when he became a symbol for Rustal's Gjallarhorn or whether he believes the ideals he claims to represent are also represented by the people he's fighting for, he's only concerned with being an effective opposition to his best friend.

Like that's still basically a personal feud since the only reason he started thinking those things was after he and his friends were betrayed by the guy, but I think there's more to it than blind revenge. Gaelio's just primarily concerned with fighting against McGillis and what he represents (since he knows the dude is wrong), rather than fighting for anything at all. Who knows maybe once McGillis dies Gaelio will try to change some things now that he's made actual effort to think about right and wrong and everything, or maybe with his mission complete he'll just decide to retire I dunno.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lestaki posted:

He's not disgusted with Isurugi, especially since he admits he also followed McGillis in the past. He's disgusted with McGillis, who is actually, legitimately a madman. The panning shots of the dead revolutionaries while Gaelio talked about people being misled by McGillis was explicit enough. I also really enjoyed his turn of phrase about 'a dream of the past', since it captures both the fact Gaelio has rejected McGillis and the reality that the vision McGillis embodies is more reactionary than Rustal's conservatism. McGillis is using the throne of a dead king as his symbol and has no coherent ideals beyond the pursuit and expression of power for its own sake. If you want real change to come to the setting, he's a false idol.

Once McGillis is dead, the survivors will have to pick up the pieces. I think it's disingenuous to castigate Gaelio for not setting out a reformist platform when he's necessarily all-in on defeating the person who killed his childhood friend, nearly killed him, is engaged to his sister and all that. I agree it remains to be seen if Gaelio has the vision to genuinely reform Gjallahorn himself, but I do think his heart is in the right place and he could be a force for change if someone took the lead.

In other words, Kudelia has two jobs - convince the more reasonable elements of Gjallarhorn to back reform (again), and convince the more reasonable members of McGillis's army to get the hell away from the maniac they've shacked up with. Time for all that soulful gazing at the Maiden of Revolution picture to mean something, I guess.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Darth Walrus posted:

In other words, Kudelia has two jobs - convince the more reasonable elements of Gjallarhorn to back reform (again), and convince the more reasonable members of McGillis's army to get the hell away from the maniac they've shacked up with. Time for all that soulful gazing at the Maiden of Revolution picture to mean something, I guess.

The latter should be pretty easy if Rustal's analysis holds true.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It's really hard to say just which way Rustal would go. He makes it clear that he doesn't like unnecessary cruelty, even if he has a very broad definition of 'necessary', and seems to be mostly opposing McGillis because he agrees with Gaelio's reasons for stopping him. He clearly has enormous respect for Gjallarhorn and what it's accomplished, but it remains very unclear how he'd react to a reform package that isn't presented by a sociopathic manchild lunatic.

Nah, it's really not. Propping up the current socio economic system is what Rustal is all about. There will always be space rats in his world. Also corruption and nepotism. Just look at Iok and what he let him get away with because of who his dad was.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

genericnick posted:

Nah, it's really not. Propping up the current socio economic system is what Rustal is all about. There will always be space rats in his world. Also corruption and nepotism. Just look at Iok and what he let him get away with because of who his dad was.

Actually that is because Iok's men are loyal to the death to him. He's much more useful being thrown at minor problems and acting as a figurehead to keep the grunts in line. Killing Iok would collapse a good portion of his fighting strength, if not the entire fleet, with infighting.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lestaki posted:

There's no actual lie in the dreams Isurugi was talking about, though. McGillis gave him exactly what he desired, which was a chance to advance himself and be important and successful in an organization that had denied him.

It's important to remember that there's two different factions who are backing McGillis for very different reasons. There's the koolaid-drinking True Believers like the revolutionary fleet who have swallowed all of the Agnika Kaeru propaganda wholesale who are straight up being lied to and then there's those who society has left behind like Isurugi or Tekkadan who are following him because he's the only person in authority in Gjallarhorn who has ever pretended to give one tenth of a poo poo about giving them a way to improve their lives. They don't really give a poo poo about McGillis's Bael posturing or his babbling about the true ruler of Gjallarhorn or anything except insofar as it can provide them with an ability to advance themselves.

We've never seen McGillis intentionally lie to the latter faction. There have been times when he has not been able to completely fulfill his promises to them due to outside circumstances like Iok ex Machina or the Seven Stars families declaring neutrality, but he's never straight up bullshitted them; their "dreams" are real. The problem Gaelio is that he only sees the first of these two factions backing McGillis while completely overlooking the latter, which is the same set of blinders he had on in season 1. He's gotten better about it in some ways(such as acknowledging that he no longer hates Mikazuki for having whiskers), but he's assuming the problems McGillis represents will go away entirely once McGillis is defeated because McGillis is clearly the cause when that isn't the case at all.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, we can get a pretty good guess as to how he'd react to two plans from this season.

On the positive side of the math, he recognizes talent no matter where it comes from. Unlike Ein and Isurugi, Julieta is given a position of genuine respect within Gjallarhorn. She can mouth off to Iok, one of the most powerful men in the solar system, without fear. He'd probably be fine with, or even in favor of, reform that reduces bigotry based on position of birth.

On the other hand, a move for greater self governance is probably not going to be his favorite. Colony rebellions get put down.

But beyond that, tricky to figure. Most of his moves have been done in the knowledge of what all McGillis did in season 1, and that's the kind of thing that makes a man go for desperate measures.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Like honestly, I don't think Gaelio's really fighting for anything. He's mainly concerned with opposing McGillis, who he's determined is in the wrong and a bad dude. I'm pretty sure he's working with Rustal less because he actually agrees with the status quo or what the dude represents , but because it is the most effective way to oppose his ex-bestie.

Agreed. I think this is a better take on what I'm trying to get at.

Darth Walrus posted:

I've almost given up hope of Kudelia doing anything meaningful, but I was thinking of her when I wrote that post. She's the only credible figure who isn't tainted by bloodshed. Perhaps she can manage a turn-around at the eleventh hour, but McGillis needs to go first.

Kanos posted:

There's no actual lie in the dreams Isurugi was talking about, though. McGillis gave him exactly what he desired, which was a chance to advance himself and be important and successful in an organization that had denied him.

Gaelio understood that, I think, as far as it went. He was Ein's patron, and Rustal is Julietta's patron. Notwithstanding the wider organisation, it's not that unusual for individual aristocrats to take commoners under their wing in Gjallahorn. The notion that McGillis is unique in his support of commoners is not borne out by the show.

The systemic problem is real, though, and not subject to such ad hoc solutions. As we've been discussing, it wouldn't surprise me if even Rustal would be in favour of a more meritocratic approach to promotion, given that would leave him with less Ioks and more Juliettas. The thing is that even if you're right and Isurugi and his friends are ruthless careerists who are gratified by the chance to rise with McGillis, that isn't a systematic solution to the problem, it just replaces one group of entrenched interests with another. This is actually very close to Orga's leadership of Tekkadan, who has no interest in wider problems on Mars as such but wants to make sure his people possess wealth and status. Perhaps McGillis would introduce a meritocracy when he became King of Gjallahorn, but it would be the meritocracy of an enlightened autocrat at best.

As far as Isurugi goes, though, he was loyal to a flawed master. If McGillis valued the lives of his subordinates and was worthy of their trust, he wouldn't have led them into their current dire situation. Rustal gave McGillis a chance to surrender after demonstrating his superiority, but McGillis stayed the course and the revolutionaries were slaughtered as a result. The line soldiers who you maintain he stood by are only alive because Rustal chose to ignore them during the battle.

For various considered reasons, Gaelio is utterly unwilling to accept McGillis as the King of Gjallahorn. Given that mindset, Isurugi's tragedy is that an unworthy leader dragged him into a battle he couldn't win.

Lestaki fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 6, 2017

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Isurigi: You could never understand the hardships of those born in the colonies that drove us to rebellion

Galigali: I do understand, thanks to my vampiric connection to a dead lowborn's brain. Now to return to the fleet which set-up and massacred a bunch of colony citizens last year

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I honestly dont know how much to trust Gaelio in this regard because we dont know if his ideas of reforming GH were his own or just a way to get close to his mancrush McG. We know for a fact that Gaelio was pretty distant to what was happening in the colonies (didnt know about their hardships, started treating Ein pretty rough at the start) and his goal was to fix GHs corruption. But inaction and complicity is just as bad as the corruption in this case, because its the root that breeds it in the first place.

The impression I've gotten about Gaelio in the last few episodes is that he's a very personal guy. He doesn't really change unless external forces make him change. He could never understand AV users till he actually started using it himself. He didn't really know about how things are in the colonies till he met Ein (and Ein wasn't nearly in the same position as the guys from Tekkadan, which are still better off than the kids in similar position as McG was). He doesn't have that altruism in him like Kudelia, who despite not fully understanding the entirety of the issues in mars, was still sympathetic to them despite her status. McG was entirely right in his poetic description of Vidar earlier in the series, that Gaelio is good and just as long as people like Rustal exist to contrast against.

e-different topic

Earth regulation fleet nearly completely destroyed,the outer fleet two weeks away from earth and fully militarized power blocks back in earth with their thumbs up their asses. It wouldn't surprise me if they do a coup of their own and depose the remaining seven stars back in earth.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 6, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I really like how big a difference there is between Gaelio and McGillis' initial "cool young prodigy and mancrushing immature best friend" vibe at the start of season 1, and how they're presented now.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

e-different topic

Earth regulation fleet nearly completely destroyed,the outer fleet two weeks away from earth and fully militarized power blocks back in earth with their thumbs up their asses. It wouldn't surprise me if they do a coup of their own and depose the remaining seven stars back in earth.

I'd laugh if season 2 ends on Rustal having to ally with what remains of Tekkadan at the end of season 2 just to go back and deal with that, enter season 3.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Rustal explicitly tried to avoid blowing up the regulars on McGillis's side as much as possible and there is significant military power under the families that refused to aid McGillis, enough so that they were expected to even the odds against Rustal had they joined Mackie. There's probably enough Gjallarhorn force to prevent an outright overthrow but not to keep things under control.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kanos posted:

Rustal explicitly tried to avoid blowing up the regulars on McGillis's side as much as possible and there is significant military power under the families that refused to aid McGillis, enough so that they were expected to even the odds against Rustal had they joined Mackie. There's probably enough Gjallarhorn force to prevent an outright overthrow but not to keep things under control.

Vingolf was taken over by a few suits and a tactilol team. McGillis troops were IN CHARGE of protecting the earth sphere. The military blocs could easily undermine whats left of GH back in earth, when things like massive ships aren't as useful.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

McG was entirely right in his poetic description of Vidar earlier in the series, that Gaelio is good and just as long as people like Rustal exist to contrast against.

The irony, of course, is that McGillis has become the perfect villain for Gaelio's crusading knight shtick.

You're totally right that everything is personal with Gaelio. I don't think that's unusual, though. Most characters in the show are likewise defined by their relationships and personal experiences without focusing too deeply on the bigger picture. Kudelia is pretty unique for her ability to empathise with strangers and transcend her privileged roots.

Lestaki fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 6, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lestaki posted:

Gaelio understood that, I think, as far as it went. He was Ein's patron, and Rustal is Julietta's patron. Notwithstanding the wider organisation, it's not that unusual for individual aristocrats to take commoners under their wing in Gjallahorn. The notion that McGillis is unique in his support of commoners is not borne out by the show.

Isn't it? The only people we've seen not treat commoners like trash are family heads or their scions, and there are way more people who treated Ein like trash that there are Seven Stars who have adopted a commoner at all. Even if every noble had a pet there would be tons of bigots making GBS threads on the colonists.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Midjack posted:

Isn't it? The only people we've seen not treat commoners like trash are family heads or their scions, and there are way more people who treated Ein like trash that there are Seven Stars who have adopted a commoner at all. Even if every noble had a pet there would be tons of bigots making GBS threads on the colonists.

The only people we've seen period are family heads and their scions, aside from a couple of random branch heads. I agree with you though, which is why my next line in the post you quoted talked about how Gjallahorn still has a systematic problem with class prejudice and that's not going to be easy to fix.

McGillis, Rustal, and Gaelio have all been seen to promote commoners so McGillis doesn't stand out on that front. You could argue his wider organisation features more commoners than, say, Arianrhodt, but I'm not sure I've seen anything in the show to confirm or deny that assertion.

Lestaki fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 6, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lestaki posted:

McGillis, Rustal, and Gaelio have all been seen to promote commoners so McGillis doesn't stand out on that front. You could argue his wider organisation features more commoners than, say, Arianrhodt, but I'm not sure I've seen anything in the show to confirm or deny that assertion.

Rustal, regardless of his personal feelings on meritocracy, is pretty much a walking Avatar of the Status Quo in this conflict. He stands for the preservation of the present system with its focus on the power and influence of nobility; this is exemplified by the fact that he pays lip service to Iok - despite the fact that Iok is a moron and a war criminal who has caused the wholly unnecessary deaths of many people for the sake of his pride and helped to trigger this civil war in the first place - because Iok has the right noble blood and a bunch of people who follow him because of his last name. All of the leading figures in his fleet - Elion, Kujan, Bauduin - are the bluest of the blue Seven Stars blood.

McGillis, for better or for worse, represents an enormous upheaval of the status quo. Regardless of whether McGillis ends up becoming an insane dictator or an actual reformer, he represents a chance for massive systemic change that could potentially end up for the better for people like Isurugi or Tekkadan who have been abandoned by the current status quo that Arianhrod is so furiously defending. When the current system is terrible for you and someone comes along that promises significant change in that system, any sort of change whatsoever, you're probably going to roll the dice on it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

Rustal, regardless of his personal feelings on meritocracy, is pretty much a walking Avatar of the Status Quo in this conflict. He stands for the preservation of the present system with its focus on the power and influence of nobility; this is exemplified by the fact that he pays lip service to Iok - despite the fact that Iok is a moron and a war criminal who has caused the wholly unnecessary deaths of many people for the sake of his pride and helped to trigger this civil war in the first place - because Iok has the right noble blood and a bunch of people who follow him because of his last name. All of the leading figures in his fleet - Elion, Kujan, Bauduin - are the bluest of the blue Seven Stars blood.

Most, but not all.

"Jurius" isn't exactly a seven star name. Point of fact is, she was basically in the same position as CGS third group when Galan Mossa scouted her for the big leagues. Rustal treats her as the daughter he never had, despite the fact half his forces kind of object to promoting this low born nobody over the heads of everyone who doesn't have a star by their names. (Not helped by the fact that Vidar was apparently in the same boat, seeing as everyone but Rustal and the mechanic thought of him as another no-name ace pilot.)

Meanwhile, Iok got benched and had Rustal explicitly say "Hey, I'd love to can his rear end, but he's kind of necessary to keep people onboard. If I had someone else young, charismatic, and blue blooded, well. That might change things." (Things changed with the whole rebellion thing, since Rustal wanted all the guns he could get aimed at McGillis, but notice how Iok's job is 'sit in the corner and don't touch anything while the adults plan the battle out.')

Again, he promoted a nobody and benched the head of a Seven Star house, because the nobody was competent and the head was... Iok. Rustal is a major outlier in Gjallarhorn culture, since he respects talent more than birth. Even with Iok, it's less "You're Somebody" and more "Your subordinates respect you. Despite you being an idiot, that matters."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Most, but not all.

"Jurius" isn't exactly a seven star name. Point of fact is, she was basically in the same position as CGS third group when Galan Mossa scouted her for the big leagues. Rustal treats her as the daughter he never had, despite the fact half his forces kind of object to promoting this low born nobody over the heads of everyone who doesn't have a star by their names. (Not helped by the fact that Vidar was apparently in the same boat, seeing as everyone but Rustal and the mechanic thought of him as another no-name ace pilot.)

Meanwhile, Iok got benched and had Rustal explicitly say "Hey, I'd love to can his rear end, but he's kind of necessary to keep people onboard. If I had someone else young, charismatic, and blue blooded, well. That might change things." (Things changed with the whole rebellion thing, since Rustal wanted all the guns he could get aimed at McGillis, but notice how Iok's job is 'sit in the corner and don't touch anything while the adults plan the battle out.')

Again, he promoted a nobody and benched the head of a Seven Star house, because the nobody was competent and the head was... Iok. Rustal is a major outlier in Gjallarhorn culture, since he respects talent more than birth. Even with Iok, it's less "You're Somebody" and more "Your subordinates respect you. Despite you being an idiot, that matters."

Julietta isn't a mover or shaker in Rustal's fleet. She's basically a hair above a grunt, a mobile suit squadron commander. She's loyal unto death and her skill and close personal position to Rustal means that she's allowed social latitude to do things like call Iok a moron, but she doesn't actually influence policy or command anything beyond her squad of MS. She is an indicator that Rustal values merit on a personal level but the entire structure of his fleet is Blue Blood In Command.

Iok being allowed to dodge out of any real consequences of his actions due to his blue blood and his position at the head of a family is literally exactly what I'm talking about. Iok hosed the pooch on Mars in the hardest way possible and got a lot of people killed and then entered into a loving compact with space mafiosos to shoot fleeing civilians with illegal superweapons under Rustal's nose, and because of his lineage and connections he got away with a stern talking to and some time out in his personal suite to think about what he did wrong. Someone without his lineage would be court martialed for what he did, at best.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 7, 2017

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

McGillis, for better or for worse, represents an enormous upheaval of the status quo. Regardless of whether McGillis ends up becoming an insane dictator or an actual reformer, he represents a chance for massive systemic change that could potentially end up for the better for people like Isurugi or Tekkadan who have been abandoned by the current status quo that Arianhrod is so furiously defending. When the current system is terrible for you and someone comes along that promises significant change in that system, any sort of change whatsoever, you're probably going to roll the dice on it.

I agree with pretty much all of this. It's understandable why good men would follow McGillis, which is why it's unfortunate he's a power-obsessed manchild with a silver tongue who has led his men to the brink of annihilation after being cornered by his failure to murder his best friend who knows where the bodies are buried. The thing about being a revolutionary is you have to make it count, because if you fail the status quo will kill you. The young officers who followed him have already learned that to their cost.

I do also find it ironic that the hero of the people is staking his claim to authority on a legend of royalty from the distant past and has likewise promised to make Orga King of Mars. Not what I'd call a progressive agenda, really. We can only hope that Kudelia and other forces for considered and genuine change will be able to step forwards in the aftermath of his revolt.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This is very early speculation from the model kit side of the fandom, and the evidence is light, so it may turn out to be nothing, but there are hints people have picked up that Julietta's final ride might be the captured Flauros, cobbled together with spare parts from the Vidar.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The show took pains to show the Flauros specifically not completely destroyed, so it's definitely gonna come back in some way

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It would be goddamn hilarious for the final fate of Shino's mecha to be kitbashed into a horrible offensive monstrosity piloted by an enemy who pisses off the people who cared for the former pilot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A Gundam Frame's about the only way Julietta could escalate to take on Mika without A-V surgery, so that's a decent possibility. Just gotta hose out what's left of the cockpit first.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

ImpAtom posted:

It would be goddamn hilarious for the final fate of Shino's mecha to be kitbashed into a horrible offensive monstrosity piloted by an enemy who pisses off the people who cared for the former pilot.

CRAAAAAANK!!!!! SHIIIIIINO!!!!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I never quite understood why the fandom always refers to Norba by his surname. It's not like we call our two leads Augus and Itsuka.

It's not even the most common way for the other characters in the show to refer to him, IIRC.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A Gundam Frame's about the only way Julietta could escalate to take on Mika without A-V surgery, so that's a decent possibility. Just gotta hose out what's left of the cockpit first.

Well presumably Shino is going to be listed off at them washing away what remains of his meatball sub. Judging by season one.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Darth Walrus posted:

I never quite understood why the fandom always refers to Norba by his surname. It's not like we call our two leads Augus and Itsuka.

It's not even the most common way for the other characters in the show to refer to him, IIRC.

Everyone on the show calls him Shino. Everyone from his gay mechanic boyfriend up to Orga calls him that in the most recent episode where they're actively mourning him and desperately trying to figure out what to do w/r/t saving his remains or not. No one calls him Norba. It's always been Shino in show.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Darth Walrus posted:

Some people just are their surname and Shino is one of those people.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Artum posted:

Some people just are their surname and Shino is one of those people.

"Shepard Shino."

"Mika."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

The people on the show call him Shino basically exclusively to the point where I've had to look up the fact that that isn't his first name. I think the only times "Norba" are used are when he launches in a mobile suit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, I follow a channel that has everyone refer to each other by their first names except for two people who go by their last names because it's more unique. It's not really that odd as you think.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I have to say I just caught up on season 2 and it's weird to have a good gundam again that isn't a reboot/remake like Gundam: The Origins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Tae posted:

I mean, I follow a channel that has everyone refer to each other by their first names except for two people who go by their last names because it's more unique. It's not really that odd as you think.

Some people just go by something other than their given name, so it's not like there isn't precedent for this.

• Locked thread