Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

:siren: TITANIUM NIBS :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjpSWzZp-jc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Trustworthy posted:

My first Jinhao x750 came today. Looks like I didn't get lucky with an amazing one.

I got super lucky with mine. Writes pretty smooth and I use it as my daily carry pen so if I lose it I can't get upset at missing a $5 pen.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

KKKLIP ART posted:

I got super lucky with mine. Writes pretty smooth and I use it as my daily carry pen so if I lose it I can't get upset at missing a $5 pen.

I spread the tines a wee bit, and I think it's behaving better now...?

Which is good, because I needed a lil' pick-me-up. Today, the evening mail truck was supposed to deliver my first good paper in a long time: a Seven Seas notebook full of Tomoe River. It never arrived, but tracking info said it was sitting on my porch. After digging a little deeper, I realized that I'd accidentally shipped it to my ex-wife's house. :downsbravo:

edit: On a completely different note... drat, Noodler's Midnight Blue is daaaaaaark. Way closer to black than the swatches I'd looked at online. On one hand it looks beautiful, but on the other I was hoping for something that would contrast a bit more against black. Looks like that bottle of Kon-Peki just moved up to the top of my wishlist.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 7, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Needs a :nws: tag for when they demonstrate springing the tines on a nib :cry:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Meh. I've tried titanium nibs before and I've never really been that impressed. If you want a nib with some softness you can get a Pilot 74 or 91 with a soft nib for very much the same price. It'll also be smoother as well.

grack fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 7, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Also I was bored and did a thing

Much easier than I expected

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Trustworthy posted:

I spread the tines a wee bit, and I think it's behaving better now...?

Which is good, because I needed a lil' pick-me-up. Today, the evening mail truck was supposed to deliver my first good paper in a long time: a Seven Seas notebook full of Tomoe River. It never arrived, but tracking info said it was sitting on my porch. After digging a little deeper, I realized that I'd accidentally shipped it to my ex-wife's house. :downsbravo:

edit: On a completely different note... drat, Noodler's Midnight Blue is daaaaaaark. Way closer to black than the swatches I'd looked at online. On one hand it looks beautiful, but on the other I was hoping for something that would contrast a bit more against black. Looks like that bottle of Kon-Peki just moved up to the top of my wishlist.

Oh man :(

On Noodler's Midnight Blue, you should try diluting it. I have my Blue-Black diluted to 50% and it's much closer to the color I wanted, while still being intensely saturated. Grab an empty sample vial and experiment!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

effika posted:

On Noodler's Midnight Blue, you should try diluting it. I have my Blue-Black diluted to 50% and it's much closer to the color I wanted, while still being intensely saturated. Grab an empty sample vial and experiment!

Oooh, I hadn't thought of that as a possibility. Does diluting appreciably change any other properties of the ink, like drying time?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Trustworthy posted:

Oooh, I hadn't thought of that as a possibility. Does diluting appreciably change any other properties of the ink, like drying time?

I've used it dilutes for years now, let me see if I remember... I think it feathers less, and dries a but quicker.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Got my order from wonderpens. I love them so much! In the notes I had asked for some scrap/samples of tomoe river paper since I never used it and all they had where 100 sheets for 25$.

In my order with the DIamine oxblood and other stuff there were 3 pages from some notebook in tomoe river. Perfect for my needs (which where to get a chance to try pens/inks on this paper before my notebook from Japan arrives (if it ever arrives..).

Have to say Tomoe river is really slim. Almost like bible paper.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I own a Bock titanium nib that came with a kickstarter pen. It's pretty underwhelming.

It's loud, kind of whistling as you write. It's not very smooth, despite having been sent off to nibmeisters twice. And it's a EF that's about equal in width to my Japanese broads.

However, it looks really freaking cool and can get stained with your ink, which is even cooler.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I found a silver Vanishing Point shipped from Japan for $80+ $12 shipping. Should I bite on that or do I risk getting a fake?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

There are no fake Vanishing Points. You should, however, be sure of what nib you're getting because there are both gold- and (cheaper) steel-nibbed versions.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If the steel nibbed version is comparable at all to the Metro then I'm fine with that.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Then you can get one cheaper off of Amazon anyways. Ex. https://www.amazon.com/PILOT-Caples...ss+fountain+pen or shipped from Amazon stateside https://www.amazon.com/PILOT-Caples...85%3A2470955011

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Got my Seven Seas! Beautiful notebook and paper. As I expected, it's a full half inch wider than my A5 Moleskines, so I guess I'm starting from scratch when it comes to cover options. I like that naked leather one on the Nanami site, but it's a bit out of my budget at the moment. Anyone have any killer cover options/ideas for that size notebook?

Also, and more importantly, I had to order a factory second because it's the only Seven Seas they have in stock. They haven't had any new stock for at least a couple weeks; does anyone know what's up? Supply issues? Are they phasing out a product line? Is their company imploding? Or has demand just been too high, and they're struggling to keep up? Does this kind of shortage happen often with Nanami?

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Heath posted:

If the steel nibbed version is comparable at all to the Metro then I'm fine with that.

It's better - it has a softer feel, anyways

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Trustworthy posted:

Got my Seven Seas! Beautiful notebook and paper. As I expected, it's a full half inch wider than my A5 Moleskines, so I guess I'm starting from scratch when it comes to cover options. I like that naked leather one on the Nanami site, but it's a bit out of my budget at the moment. Anyone have any killer cover options/ideas for that size notebook?

Also, and more importantly, I had to order a factory second because it's the only Seven Seas they have in stock. They haven't had any new stock for at least a couple weeks; does anyone know what's up? Supply issues? Are they phasing out a product line? Is their company imploding? Or has demand just been too high, and they're struggling to keep up? Does this kind of shortage happen often with Nanami?

I've been wondering the same thing, I really want a Writer

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Trustworthy posted:

I'm pretty sure you bought the last factory second seconds before I clicked the button. Rude!

e: I already have one but it's getting kind of full, and I didn't want to risk running out of Seven Seas even if it meant going with a factory second. I guess I'll just be waiting!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I'm pretty sure you bought the last factory second seconds before I clicked the button. Rude!

e: I already have one but it's getting kind of full, and I didn't want to risk running out of Seven Seas even if it meant going with a factory second. I guess I'll just be waiting!

Sorry-not-sorry! :cool:

I just emailed the Nanami guy, to see if he'd be willing to shed some light on the shortage.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Trustworthy posted:

Sorry-not-sorry! :cool:

I just emailed the Nanami guy, to see if he'd be willing to shed some light on the shortage.

If he responds, please post an update. I counted and I'm down to under 100 pages remaining, which is only a few weeks given the rate at which I write!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

grack posted:

Then you can get one cheaper off of Amazon anyways. Ex. https://www.amazon.com/PILOT-Caples...ss+fountain+pen or shipped from Amazon stateside https://www.amazon.com/PILOT-Caples...85%3A2470955011

They didn't have the color I wanted, so I went with the eBay one, but thank you!

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Got my Musubi notebooks today.

Pilot Metro for scale

The paper looks really nice

I'm hoping this will fix itself over time.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Wow, that's terrible. It was straight when I sent it out to you. Our presentation boxes should eventually make this issue go away but clearly in the meantime we need to work on our shipping.

I'm refunding your diary as an apology - give a few days for Paypal to process it. In the meantime, it will straighten out if you weight it with something heavy.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I'll do that. I feel a bit bad about getting a full refund but still keeping the diary, though; I'll make it up to you by referring my friends.

I'm a little afraid to start writing in it — it is such a handsome item — but I know that's what they're for so I'll begin soon.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Whats the difference between all the Custom models in pilot's line? Is the FA nib overhyped? I just want some line variation while drawing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

teraflame posted:

Whats the difference between all the Custom models in pilot's line? Is the FA nib overhyped? I just want some line variation while drawing.

All pens are resin (polystyrene) unless otherwise noted.

Custom: Entry level model. C/C filler but will not accept the Con-70. #3 14k nib (EF, F, M, B)

Custom 74 and 91: Base models. 74 is torpedo shaped with gold trim, 91 is flat top with rhodium trim. Both are C/C fillers, #5 14k Nib (EF, F, SF, FM, SFM, M, SM, B, BB)

Custom 92: Same size as 91 but a piston filler #5 14k nib (F, FM, M, B)

Custom 742 and 912: Larger models of the 74 and 91, similar design. Both are C/C fillers #10 14k nib (EF, F, SF, FM, SFM, M, SM, B, BB, C, WA, MS, SU, PO, FA)

Custom 743: Next step up size wise from the 742. C/C filler, #15 14k nib (EF, F, SF, FM, SFM, SM, B, BB, C, WA, Mu, SU, PO, FA)

Custom 823: Same size and shape as the 743. Vacuum filler, #15 14k nib (F, M, B, BB)

Custom 845: Urushi over ebonite pen, former flagship. C/C Filler, #15 18k nib (F, M, B, BB)

Custom Urushi: New flagship. Same design and build as the Custom 845 but larger. C/C filler. #30 18k nib (FM, B, B)

You'll get some line variation out of any of the soft nibs and a fair amount from the FA nibs. They'll probably be fine for drawing but they're not suitable for Western calligraphy as they were designed for kanji characters.

grack fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 8, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

New Delta day! #13 for me. Very pretty

But no converter included and laser inscribed nib on a $200 pen? What the poo poo, Delta

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

grack posted:

New Delta day! #13 for me. Very pretty

But no converter included and laser inscribed nib on a $200 pen? What the poo poo, Delta

What a nice pen! But what's wrong with laser inscribed nibs?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Cheapass finishing on an expensive pen. The only other Delta I own with a laser inscribed nib is a Unica, but that is Delta's entry level pen - this one retails for twice as much (or more).

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.
I bought a bottle of Fuyu Gaki pretty much on a whim because nothing about me screams orange, but it's really beautiful. Much more red than I thought, and it pairs so well with Tsutsuji on the same page. My journal looks like a sunset.

E: Also just realized my Vac Mini in M is the wettest nib I own and it gives me a lot of hope for a less scratchy Vac 700R. Then again their Jowo #6 is just an all around great nib regardless of the pen (but for some reason the Vac Mini is wetter than both the Eco and the Diamond Mini). And because of this thread I'm now pen paling with my first best friend from grade school and also my older sister across the country.

unkle77 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 9, 2017

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What's the Delta secret sauce that keeps you coming back for more?

Edit: Finally went ahead and made an order with Goulet and it just arrived!

Got a Lime Green TWSBI Eco in the 1.1mm stub and some Diamine Oxblood. This color is gorgeous - I was really on the fence about it but so glad I went for it. All I've had before is shades of blue or black-blue or blue-green etc so this is a nice change. Looks cool in the lime green pen too. The stub nib is SUPER RAD. I thought it would be too bold for my handwriting but I actually really like the subtle variation it adds. Makes me feel fancy. Highly recommended.

Also picked up some Lamy Pacific Blue cartridges and the notebook sampler. This is weird but I like the Rhodia the best but didn't like the Clairefontaine as much. But I think the Rhodia uses Clairefontaine paper? I'm very confused.

Lowness 72 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 9, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

What's the Delta secret sauce that keeps you coming back for more?

A bunch of stuff, really. I like the looks, obviously. I prefer wider-bodied, lighter pens because I have arthritis in my hands and that's basically all that Delta makes. Every Delta I've bought wrote out of the box. The balance and ergonomics are generally on point even on their biggest pens, and the fit has been universally good. The quality of the finish and trims seems to be going down somewhat these days, which is sad to see unfortunately.
Family photo:

Left to right, top to bottom: Markiaro Posillipo, Virtuosa, Markiaro Gaiola, The Journal, Vintage, Passion, Hawa'ii, Italiana, Dolcevita Oro, Sea Wood, Vintage, Unica, Monteverde Catalina (made by Delta).

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If he responds, please post an update. I counted and I'm down to under 100 pages remaining, which is only a few weeks given the rate at which I write!

Nanami Dave just emailed me back. His response, in its entirety:

"Hi, end of march."

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Trustworthy posted:

Nanami Dave just emailed me back. His response, in its entirety:

"Hi, end of march."

Thanks. I should be able to hold out until then, but it's good to know when to expect them.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

I have a somewhat complicated or simple question I'm not sure!
The more I use my Kaweco All Brass pen the more I dislike it's length. It's a few mm short really but it's enough to get tiresome fast.
Thing is I love everything else about that pen. The brass, overall weight, ruggedness and the nib. I paid a lot of money (not that much to some but it is my most expensive pen except for maybe my parker 51 but I did not pay that one).

So what I would love would be to:
1- Find another pen in the same price range with the same qualities but a little longer
2- What are the chances I could trade my Kaweco for such a pen here or on the FPN? I guess this one I'll have to find out myself.

Thanks!

Also I am still waiting on my notebook and it's ok. Just that I keep dying inside when the postman leaves and the notebook is not there... Have the pen! Have the ink! Need the notebook!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Iznogood posted:

I have a somewhat complicated or simple question I'm not sure!
The more I use my Kaweco All Brass pen the more I dislike it's length. It's a few mm short really but it's enough to get tiresome fast.
Thing is I love everything else about that pen. The brass, overall weight, ruggedness and the nib. I paid a lot of money (not that much to some but it is my most expensive pen except for maybe my parker 51 but I did not pay that one).

So what I would love would be to:
1- Find another pen in the same price range with the same qualities but a little longer
2- What are the chances I could trade my Kaweco for such a pen here or on the FPN? I guess this one I'll have to find out myself.

Thanks!

Also I am still waiting on my notebook and it's ok. Just that I keep dying inside when the postman leaves and the notebook is not there... Have the pen! Have the ink! Need the notebook!

A Kaweco Supra or something from Kara's Kustoms would probably fit the bill.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

grack posted:

A Kaweco Supra or something from Kara's Kustoms would probably fit the bill.

The supra looks nice but have to say the Karas Kustom K series in brass is pretty much what I want. Now to find a way to flip one for the other...

Thanks!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Iznogood posted:

The supra looks nice but have to say the Karas Kustom K series in brass is pretty much what I want. Now to find a way to flip one for the other...

Thanks!

I don't know what kind of reputation it has, but just in case you weren't already aware of it, there's a Pen Swap subreddit that might be useful for someone in your situation. At a glance, it seems competently moderated...?

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Trustworthy posted:

I don't know what kind of reputation it has, but just in case you weren't already aware of it, there's a Pen Swap subreddit that might be useful for someone in your situation. At a glance, it seems competently moderated...?

Yeah I'll go on reddit as a last resort. Not that I think their crooks but because I have never posted there and might try my chance on fpn before that. Or I'll just keep the Kaweco I don't hate it and must get rid of it. But given the chance I'd flip or sell it to get a Karas. At the worst I'll buy the Karas next time I buy a fountain pen but I have so many now..