Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Big deal put his confused kid near him again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

GramCracker posted:

Failpeepee Assassa
Banned for rivals.com puns because rivals.com invented puns

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

"Bulldog" Bouiller says the second failure last week was valve related and hinted it was tied to the oil tank issue. So, wouldn't be too bad if the electrics didn't poo poo the bed this morning.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Pooiller.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

"Bulldog" Bouiller says the second failure last week was valve related and hinted it was tied to the oil tank issue. So, wouldn't be too bad if the electrics didn't poo poo the bed this morning.

I'm glad to see the traditional Japanese engine problems manifesting themselves in the highest echelons of motosport.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Valve tap seriously drives me up the wall and I don't think I could own an old Japanese car other than my rotary because of it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Honda are brute-forcing creation of the most reliable F1 engine, by finding every failure condition possible ahead of time.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Valve tap seriously drives me up the wall and I don't think I could own an old Japanese car other than my rotary because of it.

Mitsubishi V6s are good for this. They developed valve tap at like 50,000km and proceeded to do it (and burn oil) for the next 300k.

Also all of my Japanese engines make hella valve noise.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Williams #1.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Massa WDC

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

AMuS is speculating the issue with Honda is that they're having trouble implementing the TJI system.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

The stories telling of him coming out of retirement to win one WCD and how petulant it would make Poois would totally be worth a Massa WDC.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

What's the odds on him for WDC bets? Might be worth throwing a fiver down as a dark horse. The Williams isn't terrible and they've got Lowe now, if he gets lucky a few times early on and then Red Bull out develops the Mercs midway through the year that would play to them a bit more.

Edit: skybet says 100/1, think I'm going to throw a fiver at that. I'm now on the Massa train.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 7, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I want Kimi to win and just not care at all. "Ehh it's okay"

Something something icecream shits

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lol Massa hates stroll already https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/williams-needs-to-avoid-further-accidents-massa-880475/

Mercades didn't go round and round as much today because Lewis broke the floor.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

AMuS is speculating the issue with Honda is that they're having trouble implementing the TJI system.

The issue with Honda is that they are Honda. They need to get the stick from up their arses and realise they can't carry on like this.

Also WTF Mods in the F1 thread, a sign of the end of times.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Honda should have done what every other team in F1 history has done and that's instead of pouring money into an engine that clearly isn't working, pour money into stealing everyone's best and most experienced engineers and designers the year before starting development.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lmao what a loving beta probation reason

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ukle posted:

The issue with Honda is that they are Honda. They need to get the stick from up their arses and realise they can't carry on like this.

Their time in F1 has always been used as an engineering exercise. They either do it their way or they leave, for better or worse.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What the F1 thread needs are effortposts, like when that guy made a six paragraph essay about how he couldn't be a Lewis Hamilton fan anymore because he was too "gangsta"

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
MODS=FAGS.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799863&pagenumber=141&perpage=40#post470086638

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Normally at this time I'd post something annoying and then get in a slap fight with Wica but I'm desperately trying to move into my new house before the new season starts so I don't have the time to fill that particular forum role this year.

Sniff petrol is charging £2.99 for a 51 page book comprising of the comedy summery he usually puts on his website each year for free.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sniffpetrol died when Schumi did. Just not the same without him.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

learnincurve posted:

Honda should have done what every other team in F1 history has done and that's instead of pouring money into an engine that clearly isn't working, pour money into stealing everyone's best and most experienced engineers and designers the year before starting development.

Yeah but they're actually trying to train their in-house engine designers. Imagine that, using F1 not as some dick waving contest but to actually improve your company.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
F1 is a dick waving contest, though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You need experience to train your new people in the first place. Honda had been out of F1 for so long they pretty much went in blind with outdated knowledge and equipment.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

F1 is a dick waving contest, though.

My strategy would be to give a 3rd (Mario) party a bunch of money until my own engineering team was experienced enough and up to stuff, but I'm not Honda's CEO.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm glad Williams plucked Massa and put him in the car now to replace Bottas. I'm so loving glad to read Massa's thinly veiled criticism of Lance Stroll loving 18 year old piece of poo poo billionaire. I'm livid that this is Canada's representation in F1 loving livid.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If Honda really want nothing more than to train in-house engineers, isn't it kind of brilliant that they've signed on with a team that has no choice but to stick with them?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Honda needs Soichiro himself back, he'll carry new seals to the race track in his own personal luggage and he'll cry when Alonso wins.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Honda needs Soichiro himself back, he'll carry new seals to the race track in his own personal luggage and he'll cry when Alonso wins.

Sochirio had some really bad F1 ideas too FYI.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I hate Lance Stroll

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Williams would legitimately have done better to hire Pastor back.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Theophany posted:

The only type of radical authoritarianism that is discussion-worthy in this thread is teary-eyed memories of Bernie and Ron ruling with their respective iron fists.

Speaking of ruling with an Iron fist, there seem to be a lot of probations lately. Maybe this thread can finally become a civil platform for thoughtful and insightful discuss- HAHAHAHA... AHAHA.. aha.

learnincurve posted:

Well at least they have stopped exploding this year so they have that going for them.

I'm honestly wondering if things are going better this year. I can't really remember, but was it last year they just couldn't put more than a handful of laps in at all?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Norns posted:

I hate Lance Stroll

He sucks

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
First year it was 11 laps total, second year they were celebrating doing a full race distance over the whole of testing. It's honestly not that bad this year, especially when you compare them to Renault. I don't know the total but I suspect over all the teams Renault and Honda are equal on changes, and at least the McLaren can make it back to the pits.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

ukle posted:

Finally somebody is cleaning up the thread... hopefully they can take care of Tony Montana and the other posters with offensive prejudices against Britain... I sure am reporting them often enough

Wirth1000 posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone miss Bernie?

Liberty hasn't even done anything to Americanize the sport yet so there's literally no reason to lose your shits over it. I mean, personally speaking, I'm full on expecting horrible Americanization of F1 to resemble NASCAR or some garbage and we have to deal with all the retarded NASCAR posters leaking into this poo poo thread which somehow still manages to simmer above the NASCAR thread (just) but gently caress there's literally no reason to miss Bernie at all.

Bernie is the only reason F1 is relevant and independent... without him it would be dead like WRC or even worse, alive and catering to the worst people in the world, like MotoGP.

poty fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I honestly think that this thread doesn't belong in sports argument Stadium. More like fyad or GBS

Absolutely not joking. You follow Formula 1 by shitposting about drivers and teams you don't like and massive hyperbole about ones that you do. Not by discussing the relative merits and techniques of the athletes. These so-called moderators just don't get it, man.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 7, 2017

• Locked thread