Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah. I don't mind just throwing the cable in something else since if I was taking it somewhere where I'd play handheld for more than 3 hours, I'd probably have another bag anyway. I'll go with this one. Hori is quality.

It just came in the mail. There are slots for 5 cartridges and a small loop that could easily hold a USB charger.
Confirmed that the one that comes with the Pro fits in just fine.

The outside is mostly rigid and the interior is very soft. Excellent.

I also just applied the $10 Hori protector in about 4 minutes. Easy and invisible as always.

I'm so bummed that I have to take the brick charger to work. We aren't allowed to use any unauthorized USB devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

One Goon showed that his save files are on his SD card despite what nintendo said and I would bet good money moving saves is going to get patched in before the end of the year. Only reason they might not is they are hyper paranoid about getting hacked since that's pretty much how all their other systems got hacked up along with the internet browser.

If that's the case yeah they better provide some cloud saves Soon.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How's Nintendo's official case? Place down the street seems to have one.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

How's Nintendo's official case? Place down the street seems to have one.

If it's anything like the BotW special edition one (and I think they are), excellent. 100% recommend it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't want to speculate but I wouldn't be surprised if they add cloud saves as part of their subscription service.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

parallelodad posted:

Is needing to move your save file especially common?

It'd be nice to have backups with the Switch since it seems especially likely to break or get stolen. I'd also take cloud saves if Nintendo could ever figure that one out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Play...P7WWVH0F4FTQYRH

At my most cynical I'd wonder if the charger port was placed on the bottom of the switch specifically so you can't charge while playing in table top mode unless you buy this $35 piece of plastic that Nintendo is conveniently getting license fees from.

Jesus. I'm glad I had mine ordered from when it was only $13.

I still bought a mini easel yesterday.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

GreatGreen posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Play...P7WWVH0F4FTQYRH

At my most cynical I'd wonder if the charger port was placed on the bottom of the switch specifically so you can't charge while playing in table top mode unless you buy this $35 piece of plastic that Nintendo is conveniently getting license fees from.

The MSRP on that is $13.

I looked into having a friend make a model to be 3D printed with SLS nylon, but the Hori stand does what I want it to do and is $13. The materials and shipping on the 3D printed one would be at least $30. It's out of stock here, but they have them on lovely importer stores like play-asia or whatever.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
How long until people sell new dock shells that you just take the PCB out of Nintendo's dock and snap it into the new one?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
One way Nintendo could have avoided the scratching issue would have been not to have that giant piece of useless plastic on the dock.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Also, I was goofing off and was recommending a GBA Micro to a friend and took a few pics.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Wheany posted:

One way Nintendo could have avoided the scratching issue would have been not to have that giant piece of useless plastic on the dock.

Seriously, what is the point of having the entire screen facing side of the dock on there? It does nothing.

Has anyone just taken a dremel to it yet and removed it?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Phone posted:

Also, I was goofing off and was recommending a GBA Micro to a friend and took a few pics.

*Looks around my office/gaming room... GB Micro Famicom edition still there? Check. GBA SP 101 (originally pink) in a new black casing still there? Check. Gray Switch still there? Check. Phew*

Was about to call my alarm company for a refund...

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 7, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Cerepol posted:

99% sure the charge port is on the bottom because thats the best way to plug a docked item in.

According to the way they intentionally designed it, yes that's correct.

Or you know, they could've designed it so that instead of standing up, the dock could've been laying down like a standard console profile for the switch to lay on top of or be loaded into from the front, and the port could have been in the same relative place but angled "downward" and on the rear.

Or they could've designed the dock without the giant useless screen obscuring piece of plastic there, and put a physical switch on the dock that swaps between TV display mode and tabletop charging mode.

The point is that the design is ill-conceived, especially considering that playing one of these things on a tabletop is an intended, advertised, and planned-for mode. You should be able to charge the unit while playing that way.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 7, 2017

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

FireMrshlBill posted:

How long until people sell new dock shells that you just take the PCB out of Nintendo's dock and snap it into the new one?

I'm really looking forward to seeing some sick custom ones.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Called all around again today. Still no luck. I think ill be waiting well into next week.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Once the third party accessories kick in a new dock should be like $30 or so. I plan on getting one or two, but not at $90

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Not a Children posted:

Once the third party accessories kick in a new dock should be like $30 or so. I plan on getting one or two, but not at $90

Isn't there some type of lockout so people can't use generic USB-c to HDMI adapters? Would Nintendo license that out and lose money on their insanely overpriced ones?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Not a Children posted:

I wouldn't trust their USB C to USB C connection, could be the same issue that people fear from cheap cords.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FireMrshlBill posted:

*Looks around my office/gaming room... GB Micro Famicom edition still there? Check. GBA SP 101 (originally pink) in a new black casing still there? Check. Gray Switch still there? Check. Phew*

Was about to call my alarm company for a refund...

The SP is a -001, though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

GreatGreen posted:

According to the way they intentionally designed it, yes that's correct.

Or you know, they could've designed it so that instead of standing up, the dock could've been laying down like a standard console profile for the switch to lay on top of or be loaded into from the front, and the port could have been in the same relative place but angled "downward" and on the rear.

Or they could've designed the dock without the giant useless screen obscuring piece of plastic there, and put a physical switch on the dock that swaps between TV display mode and tabletop charging mode.

The point is that the design is ill-conceived, especially considering that playing one of these things on a tabletop is an intended, advertised, and planned-for mode. You should be able to charge the unit while playing that way.

Needing to charge while in tabletop mode is such an edge case though. How many non int'l flights or train rides are longer than three hours? Even in that case playing a game that long without taking a break seems unlikely. And even if you do intend to play that long, you can just hold the thing in the end. And finally, stand solutions to it with a passthrough are extremely cheap.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FireMrshlBill posted:

Isn't there some type of lockout so people can't use generic USB-c to HDMI adapters? Would Nintendo license that out and lose money on their insanely overpriced ones?

There is probably a lockout but it likely won't difficult to reverse engineer.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

tap my mountain posted:

I wouldn't trust their USB C to USB C connection, could be the same issue that people fear from cheap cords.

Well, yeah, don't buy the $8 one off of alibaba or whatever, but I'm sure there's a better deal to be had than $90

FireMrshlBill posted:

I don't see how you'd lock out a USB-C to HDMI signal other than through an easily subverted/replicated handshake to make sure it's the "right" kind of connection. See also: the lockout chip in the NES

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

FireMrshlBill posted:

There will be madcatz cheap (probably better) docks in a few months.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

FireMrshlBill posted:

Has anyone done any analysis on what the PCB does? Or rather, does it use some standard USB-C dock components.

I guess what I'm asking is did anyone install Gentoo on it yet?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

tap my mountain posted:

Like with anything else let some other chumps try it and wait for reviews.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
This thread moves fast, so this may be a repeat, but YOOOO

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/839201359194828800

playtime records are in your user profile page.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

SWEEEEEEEEEEET

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

deadly_pudding posted:

This is extremely useful information, thank you for posting this

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

He uses a Blathers avatar for his profile, just like me, so he is a good man.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

FireMrshlBill posted:

Yeah, it's mildly annoying because I could then share even more USB-C stuff between it and my macbook

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Autisn's Page

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Weird, my profile just says "first played four days ago" and doesn't list the time.

Also, anybody know if the Switch can connect to hotspots that require a username AND password? I try to connect to my work's wi-fi but the Switch is only asking for a password.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

parallelodad posted:

Needing to charge while in tabletop mode is such an edge case though. How many non int'l flights or train rides are longer than three hours? Even in that case playing a game that long without taking a break seems unlikely. And even if you do intend to play that long, you can just hold the thing in the end. And finally, stand solutions to it with a passthrough are extremely cheap.

Tabletop charging is gonna be essential for Monster Hunter sessions. I'm gonna have to get a good power bank before a Switch MonHun comes out.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Louisgod posted:

Weird, my profile just says "first played four days ago" and doesn't list the time.

Also, anybody know if the Switch can connect to hotspots that require a username AND password? I try to connect to my work's wi-fi but the Switch is only asking for a password.

there's an option in there for setting up wifi manually. i think its at the bottom of the wifi list

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A thing that got kind of buried in ArsTechnica review update that was mostly about lackluster online features: They tested the battery with Shovel Knight and it lasted over 8 hours in airplane mode at low brightness.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Detective No. 27 posted:

Tabletop charging is gonna be essential for Monster Hunter sessions. I'm gonna have to get a good power bank before a Switch MonHun comes out.

If a Switch Monster hunter comes out, for one. Secondly, why would you be playing that mainly in tabletop mode?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Louisgod posted:

I imagine it probably says that for the first few days until it has a number big enough for you to brag about online for the system to recognize.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

parallelodad posted:

If a Switch Monster hunter comes out, for one. Secondly, why would you be playing that mainly in tabletop mode?

I'm counting on a when, seeing as Japan went nuts over Switch. And the series has been doing well enough here lately too.

And secondly, for when I'm having a session with my friends and one has the TV. Considering how actiony the game gets, I'm gonna want to play that with a pro controller and have the screen be still without my hands rocking it all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm counting on a when, seeing as Japan went nuts over Switch. And the series has been doing well enough here lately too.

And secondly, for when I'm having a session with my friends and one has the TV. Considering how actiony the game gets, I'm gonna want to play that with a pro controller and have the screen be still without my hands rocking it all over the place.

I just don't know if the system can overcome Capcom's laziness of not wanting to develop HD assets. Same for Gamefreak.

• Locked thread