Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Benning has said he won't even ask them to waive their NMC's so no, they can't, unless they go out of their way to ask him for a trade, and why would they do that? It would just damage their status with Vancouver fans, where they and their families live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JawKnee posted:

Benning has said he won't even ask them to waive their NMC's so no, they can't, unless they go out of their way to ask him for a trade, and why would they do that? It would just damage their status with Vancouver fans, where they and their families live

Perhaps they'd like to win a cup. That might matter more to them than what the city of Vancouver thinks of them.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JawKnee posted:

People had no problem with Burrows waiving his NTC. Sit the Twins down and explain that the rebuild is happening and the team would be open to moving them to a contender if they wish and I'm sure they'd think about it. There's no one that would begrudge the Sedins going for a cup elsewhere. Their legacy here is cemented, they're the two greatest players in franchise history and nothing short of a shooting spree is going to change that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I get that the Sedins have deep roots in Vancouver but i really can't imagine people giving them a hard time for making one last run somewhere while the Canucks are very clearly in tank/rebuild mode.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Has there been any indication that the Canucks were looking to trade them? I haven't seen or heard anything, and Benning saying he wouldnt ask them to waive just confirms that.

DJExile posted:

Yeah I get that the Sedins have deep roots in Vancouver but i really can't imagine people giving them a hard time for making one last run somewhere while the Canucks are very clearly in tank/rebuild mode.
Hell, I remember when some Leafs fans gave Sundin poo poo for not waiving.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Has there been any indication that the Canucks were looking to trade them? I haven't seen or heard anything, and Benning saying he wouldnt ask them to waive just confirms that.

Neither the team nor the Sedins gain anything by sticking around. They're not winning a cup in Vancouver, so unless they're really keen on going down with the ship it makes sense for them to go. It was never going to happen at the deadline, but the team should at least explore the possibility with them over the summer. No need to force them out as their return won't be great, but it's only fair to ask if they'd like to get into a life raft.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ThinkTank posted:

People had no problem with Burrows waiving his NTC. Sit the Twins down and explain that the rebuild is happening and the team would be open to moving them to a contender if they wish and I'm sure they'd think about it. There's no one that would begrudge the Sedins going for a cup elsewhere. Their legacy here is cemented, they're the two greatest players in franchise history and nothing short of a shooting spree is going to change that.

I'm sure this conversation has already happened

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

I'm sure this conversation has already happened

I mean a sensible person would think that, but then again Linden made it clear today that they haven't even begun negotiations on the Horvat extension.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Speaking of defence, an article about how cutting Weber's minutes has made him more effective since Julien took over

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/claude-julien-using-less-is-more-approach-with-shea-weber-185354303.html#more-id

Isn't he also using Markov less? Markov's still good but when he's tired he's pretty bad.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Did Burrows take the initiative on that? I had thought the club asked him to waive. I think people would accept the club asking them, and I think most would accept the Twins asking to be traded, but I also think the Sedins are smart enough to both recognize the clubs situation, and their own, and come to the conclusion that they could be traded. If they haven't indicated that they would like to do so yet, when will they?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Whenever Sedins trade talk comes up, I wonder how they would fit in with the Rangers. They have a ton of experience with AV, and the Rangers are really deep at forward to the point that Grabner has scored 26 goals from the third line without power play time. Could you imagine them playing against a Habs or Sens fourth line? Sedins vs. Burrows or Ott?

Yes, I'll be over here imagining the Sedins cycling the puck in circles around Burrows, like a game of "monkey in the middle."

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The Sedins used to play on a line with Burrows for years, I'm pretty sure he knows how their cycling works.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

Whenever Sedins trade talk comes up, I wonder how they would fit in with the Rangers. They have a ton of experience with AV, and the Rangers are really deep at forward to the point that Grabner has scored 26 goals from the third line without power play time. Could you imagine them playing against a Habs or Sens fourth line? Sedins vs. Burrows or Ott?

Yes, I'll be over here imagining the Sedins cycling the puck in circles around Burrows, like a game of "monkey in the middle."

They're yours! Hell, give us a 1st round pick and a decent prospect and we'll even take Girardi off your hands at the same time.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Suspicious posted:

Isn't he also using Markov less? Markov's still good but when he's tired he's pretty bad.

Markov-Weber is a D-pairing. So if one is getting decreased use, they're both getting decreased use.

Also, fun fact about the Habs for all of HAS: Emelin got punted into a D-pairing with Nesterov, and is likely the 7th D for the game against the Canucks.

https://twitter.com/JFChaumontJDM/status/839198870873714688

I'm not sure why, but the Habs D-pairings no longer look like absolute garbage.
(We'll ignore the fact Ott is almost certainly a 4th liner for the remainder of this season).

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Hell, I remember when some Leafs fans gave Sundin poo poo for not waiving.

Maybe it's just me but it seems like Canadian teams tend to create this loyalty in their franchise players that's counterproductive to both parties when they need to move on. Ryan Smith requested a trade from LA right before they won the cup so that he could go back to play in the tire fire. I don't quite remember the circumstances with Alfredson but I'm pretty sure there was some unnecessary animosity there when he ended up in Detroit as well.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Call Your Grandma posted:

Maybe it's just me but it seems like Canadian teams tend to create this loyalty in their franchise players

Well, provided they have a winning complextion.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Schlesische posted:

(We'll ignore the fact Ott is almost certainly a 4th liner for the remainder of this season).

If Steve Ott reached the level of "NHL 4th Liner" you should be ecstatic

Zybl0re
Aug 10, 2002

I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SHIT!

Schlesische posted:

Markov-Weber is a D-pairing. So if one is getting decreased use, they're both getting decreased use.

Also, fun fact about the Habs for all of HAS: Emelin got punted into a D-pairing with Nesterov, and is likely the 7th D for the game against the Canucks.

The best Habs-related tweet since Therrien got canned.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
In less inspiring Habs news, tonight will see the debut of Dwight King, 2nd liner (Martinsen and Ott are still on the 4th, and this is mostly due to Radulov and Plekanec being out, but still.)

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Slappy Pappy posted:

This morning Washington was -273 and I just laughed. Caps don't beat the Stars. It's one of those things. Jason Spezza Kari Lehtonen blah blah blah. They played pretty great the second half of the game but doesn't matter. Can't beat Stars.

Why are people amazed over the Stars beating the Caps. No matter what they win. In this decade we are 1-9 and in going back to when GW was sworn in we are 4-16-1.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Call Your Grandma posted:

Maybe it's just me but it seems like Canadian teams tend to create this loyalty in their franchise players that's counterproductive to both parties when they need to move on. Ryan Smith requested a trade from LA right before they won the cup so that he could go back to play in the tire fire. I don't quite remember the circumstances with Alfredson but I'm pretty sure there was some unnecessary animosity there when he ended up in Detroit as well.

You see the same things in players on American teams. I could probably name one from just about every team: look at Kunitz, Brodeur, Staal, Osgood, Bourque, DiPietro, Lecavalier, etc. GMs, ownerships, and fans are a sentimental bunch.

How often do you even get fair value for a franchise player when you trade them in their prime? The Kovalchuk, Luongo (Florida->Van), Thornton, Hall, and Subban deals were bad to terrible. Even the Kessel trade was pretty poor value.

You have to go back to like the Nieuwendyk for Iginla or Clark for Sundin deals for something decent.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Richards and Carter, I would say, though they're not quite on the level of the guys you mentioned.

e: Actually at the time of the trades I guess they might have been, depending on your evaluation.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I should have added "By GMs who don't treat their team like it's in an xbox"

e: Heatley for Hossa was another good one, too. But, man, if you're trading something like that, you're taking a massive risk. There are Devils fans who want to trade Schneider and Hall and go full on tank, and while I almost agree in Holmgren video game theory, it would be an awful gamble.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 7, 2017

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
bergfors washing out of the nhl immediately makes the kovalchuk deal hilarious in retrospect

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Subban deal is fair in the average NHL exec and even fan's perspective.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

The Subban deal is fair in the average NHL exec and even fan's perspective.

further proving that it is indeed A Bad Trade

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Hall for Larsson too.

After all, Larsson is behind the other two d-men who face tough comp, but his numbers indicate he’s doing a better job than Kris Russell in terms of effective puck-moving.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus the Subban trade is great if you're looking at it from the Nashville side. They got a better, cheaper, younger guy for their franchise player trade.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
shut up shutup SHUT UP

:(

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Schlesische posted:

Uggggh seeing Davidson-Petry together reminds me of all the terrible player management decisions the Oilers have made. Gives me heartburn.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
'Better than Kris Russell' is like the Mendoza Line of defensemen.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If the Sedins move, I think its likely they will want a package deal. How many teams can clear ~16 mil in cap space without gutting the roster?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Then again, it's not very hard to be better than Kris Russell. :v:

I like Larsson, and while acquiring him has helped the Oilers D, that doesn't mean the Hall for Larsson trade is suddenly fair value (unlike what many others think now). I still hate the trade and wish we could've traded somebody else for Larsson instead of Hall. I'm just thankful the Oilers are doing well this season so that way I don't have to think "but what if we still had Hall?"

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If the Sedins move, I think its likely they will want a package deal. How many teams can clear ~16 mil in cap space without gutting the roster?

if the Canucks weren't stupid (and they really, really are) they could try trading them at the deadline next season and retain half on each. 6 million for a rental of the Twins on their last season? Sounds palatable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Send the Sedins to the NHL retirement home (Panthers).

Then they can chill with their boy Lu again too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I doubt the Canucks would agree to retain salary because that would impact their ability to win now.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Albino Squirrel posted:

Uggggh seeing Davidson-Petry together reminds me of all the terrible player management decisions the Oilers have made. Gives me heartburn.

So bad. For so long. (Pens fans can enjoy this one.)

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Plus they only got one retention slot left, so whatever team would have to eat over 10m in cap hit next year. So, presuming they do move them a big contract or two has to come back. What does that trade look like? You're getting two (aging) hall of famers, cap relief, and dumping one or two bad contracts. I'd have to think the return would need to be pretty drat high. And, after all, it's only a year of old Sedins.

I don't really see how it could work out from any perspective. Well, unless Benning goes all Benning and ships then away for two old, poo poo players, retains salary, and throws in a couple picks and prospects for the hell of it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Plus they only got one retention slot left

You're right, I forgot about that. Yeah, Benning isn't smart enough to get around that. I doubt the Sedins will be traded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

IT'S NCAA ELC/PTO TIME

https://twitter.com/KMOXSports/status/839239081578098689

Having watched Thompson at the WJCs and occasional UConn highlights...he'll be good.

• Locked thread