Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Schools here give everyone breakfast and lunch free, and during the summer they run meal programs from most community centers where kids can pick up breakfast and lunch. It doesn't solve the weekend problem or the other school breaks, but its something at least. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Krispy Kareem posted:

Don't they already? Schools all have reduced or free lunch programs. Although I'm not sure if that's even your property taxes in action, since I think federal funds are related to Title 1 schools.

The problem then is what those kids eat during weekends, holidays, and during the summer. There are some private programs that give needy kids backpacks full of food every Friday afternoon, but I've never seen anything official from schools.

Yes I wonder if I can somehow work a full time job in the 6 hours per weekday the kid is in school. No need to work unik the september after they turn 5 either.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

BWM: Being a single parent to 4 children

This actually just makes me really sad :smith:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I got curious and googled: "Family Cloths" are reusable fabric toilet paper you store in a diaper pail until laundry day. Based on the source I hope she's just doing that to be extremely eco-friendly, not because they can't afford toilet paper :smith:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Cat food $5 a month? I guess the cat is a good mouser or they make it up with scraps.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

therobit posted:

Yes I wonder if I can somehow work a full time job in the 6 hours per weekday the kid is in school. No need to work unik the september after they turn 5 either.

That's what after care is for, if you can get it. It's basically our plan for when our oldest reaches kindergarten. Summer camp too.

Being a single parent is tough both financially and logistically.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Senf posted:

This is soul crushing. No one should have to be this squeezed in a first world country. It looks like they're a single bad break away from homelessness.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Enos Cabell posted:

An old high school friend is a single father, raising 4 elementary school aged children on a prison guard salary. Somehow he makes too much to qualify for even reduced cost school lunches.

BWM: Being a single parent to 4 children

Does everyone get school lunches nowadays? I remember bringing in bologna or peanut butter sandwiches.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

Does everyone get school lunches nowadays? I remember bringing in bologna or peanut butter sandwiches.

That's what he does currently, he was just hoping to stretch his food budget out more.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

This is soul crushing. No one should have to be this squeezed in a first world country. It looks like they're a single bad break away from homelessness.

Yep. I saved the image awhile ago with no real intention of posting it anywhere, and even though their situation isn't really an example of BWM, now felt like a good time to share it. I still think about it every now and then... and I'm not even sure they're a single parent household :smith:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I do feel like you could feed 3 people for less than $450 a week even in a high COL area without much effort. Could trim that back a little bit and get some more cat food and toilet paper maybe :barf:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
pretty sure that's 450/mo

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

I do feel like you could feed 3 people for less than $450 a week even in a high COL area without much effort. Could trim that back a little bit and get some more cat food and toilet paper maybe :barf:

I'm pretty sure that's $450 a month not $450 a week. beaten :argh:

GWM: lentils.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Oh. Well I still think you could trim back $50 or so but wow.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
That's definitely a month and it's absolutely devastating that they make do with an entire budget less than the vast majority of our line items.

"thanks for the perspective, working poors!"

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I'm also guessing at least one of their family members has pretty severe health issues, which makes it even more terrifying and upsetting.

Maybe we should get back to bullshit Reddit posts of people buying dumb cars :smith:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Senf posted:

I'm also guessing at least one of their family members has pretty severe health issues, which makes it even more terrifying and upsetting.

Maybe we should get back to bullshit Reddit posts of people buying dumb cars :smith:

Yeah I like when this thread makes me feel superior to people making extremely dumb and avoidable and straight-up nonsense financial decisions, this is just :smith:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

brugroffil posted:

Yeah I like when this thread makes me feel superior to people making extremely dumb and avoidable and straight-up nonsense financial decisions, this is just :smith:

Turn that frown upside down, your local food bank would be very happy to get some donations. Just don't bring dollar store ramen.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
This thread prompted me to dissect my phone bill and make some changes. I'm gonna be knocking 50 bucks off my bill by paying off my phone I no longer need to be financing, removing insurance when I have an older phone in a drawer and switching from a 12gb plan to an unlimited one (I can't figure this one out.) Either way, check up on your phone bill fees from time to time.

I wish I could dump Verizon altogether but I travel for work and love that coverage.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

monster on a stick posted:

Turn that frown upside down, your local food bank would be very happy to get some donations. Just don't bring dollar store ramen.
Please bring cash instead. No, seriously.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Reading about dipshits blowing money on $70k trucks to haul groceries and commute, all while living paycheck to paycheck is funny,

This sort of poverty just makes me sad, generational poverty even more sad.

Now for some extended family BWM:
Cousin recently had a mid-life crisis, after being fiscally responsible up until she was 30. She got a high paying temp job that was basically a years worth of wages ($70,000!) over 3 months. Instead of paying down on her mortgage or saving or doing anything responsible she quit her full-time long term job she had taken a sabbatical from and spent most of the year randomly traveling around the world with this windfall, which is actually pretty cool I think.

However when she got back home instead of finding another full-time job she took a part time bar tending gig. She's felt lonely and is desperate to find someone and settle down, which has led to a series of bad events. A couple of expensive Tinder dates a week, always going out to an expensive restaurant and bar, blowing a poo poo ton of money on new clothes. She goes from bad relationship to bad relationship, spending her remaining windfall on the men in I guess an attempt to win them over? In any event after I saw her last weekend she's basically got $500 left from the windfall, is only scheduled for 20 hours next week, and is worried that she wont be able to make her next mortgage payment.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

Are you having a stroke? I don't think I understand.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Are you having a stroke? I don't think I understand.

Translation: The school day is shorter than the working day, leaving kids home alone unless a parent pays for after-school care. School also does not start until the child is 5 years old, requiring the expense of daycare or a parent who can afford to stay at home with no wage.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Senf posted:

Oh gosh :[

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This thread always makes me angry or sad. Why do I read it!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

That reminds me, I've been working on a spectrum of BWM archetypes arranged according to how much I like to mock them. Who am I missing? Help me fill this thing out. (Note: I'm not implying that anyone is making fun of that person in senf's post, it just made me think of this)

---MMM YEAH THAT'S THE GOOD STUFF---
- High-income people who complain about being unable to save when they have two homes and send their kids to private school

- Millennials who prove Facebook aunts right (e.g. "don't save, network by partying!", too lazy to cook anything ever, etc.)

- Tricked out truck guys

- People who co-sign loans for their idiot friends

- Credit card appicants who don't realize you have to pay it back

- 5% downpayment on Too Much House

- $$$ grad/law school debt

- Hare-brained business schemes

- People who co-sign loans for their idiot family members

---IT'S COMPLICATED---
- $$$ undergrad debt for a dumb major because nobody steered the 18 year old straight

---CAREFUL, ICARUS---
- Low-income people who buy A Thing I Think They Don't Deserve

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Need to add people going into debt for MLMs, yeah its a bad business idea but I feel it deserves its own mention.

Also people who buy ridiculously expensive large houses because they were pre-approved for the loan amount.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Needs more horses, boats, and buying brand new cars every two-three years and rolling over the underwater loan.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

How could I forget MLMs and horseboaters :doh:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
How is the word "Wedding" not on this page yet?!

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
"I didn't realize this expensive thing full of parts would require maintenance!"

Cars, houses, boats, houseboats, BART... so many people just think "Oh, I can afford the sticker price, and it'll work forever, right?"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

How is the word "Wedding" not on this page yet?!

Because now someone will talk about their wedding.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Credit card holders who didn't realize that they have to pay it back are by far #1 on the list.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
- People earning $500k to $1m and then steal $2.5m from their employer to fund their horses.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Does "5% down payment on too much house" include people who start their dwelling justifications with, "I'm tried of wasting money on rent."? Because those are my favorites.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
But see, housing values only ever go up, which means buying is always a good investment, and what if I can't afford to get into the market in X years??

It's kind of alarming how quickly people forgot everything about the housing crisis.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Krispy Kareem posted:

Because now someone will talk about their wedding.

Our wedding was beautiful and thrifty! We saved money by making the horses' tuxedos out of burlap.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Thriftiness tip: Recycle your old horses into the wedding dinner, and turn their hides into the tux and dress.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bhodi posted:

Please bring cash instead. No, seriously.

My local supermarket will do a thing where paper bags with a variety of stuff (canned tuna, can veggies, fruit cups, pasta and sauce) by the register so I can grab one and feel like I helped somebody. The bags go to the food bank. Is this not optimal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

CannonFodder posted:

My local supermarket will do a thing where paper bags with a variety of stuff (canned tuna, can veggies, fruit cups, pasta and sauce) by the register so I can grab one and feel like I helped somebody. The bags go to the food bank. Is this not optimal?
No, food banks buy at cost in bulk. The money used to buy donated food purchased at retail prices could have been used to buy ten times more food by the food bank.

• Locked thread