Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

IT BURNS posted:

Has anyone here used Montreal Steak Seasoning as a rub? If so, what's the verdict? I'm curious to try it on brisket, but it's an expensive experiment...

So do it on part of it and see if you like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

lifts cats over head posted:

I think it's safer after the cook because, as said before, the byproducts are the main threat so it's like hitting reset. Also smoking can act as a preservative. Admittedly I'm not an expert on this though.
Yeah I agree. I feel like cooking meat well beyond the pasteurization limits (145F for longer than 30 minutes down to 1 second at 191F) makes it pretty much clean. After that hot food must be kept above 140F according to USDA guidelines, and anything that's gone below 140F should be thrown out after 2 hours (or 1 hour if the ambient temperature is over 90F). Of course, if you reheat it back up to 200F I feel like that's probably ok but I usually don't want to deal with it. Besides, everyone loves taking home baggies of BBQ right?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

CapnBry posted:

Yeah I agree. I feel like cooking meat well beyond the pasteurization limits (145F for longer than 30 minutes down to 1 second at 191F) makes it pretty much clean. After that hot food must be kept above 140F according to USDA guidelines, and anything that's gone below 140F should be thrown out after 2 hours (or 1 hour if the ambient temperature is over 90F). Of course, if you reheat it back up to 200F I feel like that's probably ok but I usually don't want to deal with it. Besides, everyone loves taking home baggies of BBQ right?

It has been a long rear end time since I have had a foodhandler's card but it used to be a cumulative 4 hours in the danger zone. And that was for food you are serving in an eatery so you can assume there was margin for people who take it home.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I gambled on the nice weather we were having in Chicago and tried to smoke something on Tuesday. The sunnyish and 50F weather turned to freezing rain and wind.

I cranked the smoker up to 325F and got the butt up to 160F and pulled it.

I then wrapped it with butcher paper and tossed some applecider vinegar in there and just finished it in the oven until it hit 200F. A little bit of it was not quite tender in the center but it was still really good flavor, I just chopped up the firmer bits and mixed them in with the pulled. Probably won't try high heat again unless I'm in a bind but it was pretty good for taking a shortcut.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
By 160 F you should be able to finish it in the oven and still get a good bark on it rather than crank up the heat.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

By 160 F you should be able to finish it in the oven and still get a good bark on it rather than crank up the heat.

I ran it at 325 the whole time it was in the smoker. It ended up being 8-9 hours total rather than the 12-15 it would have taken at 225.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
My first ever smoked mear, a 7.5lb pork butt, just went on the MES 40 for an overnight smoke. Besides putting my finger on the red hot metal of the AMPS maze everything went alright. We'll see if this thing is thing is lunch tomorrow or dinner.

Rub is just Memphis Dust. Any guidelines for knowing how much rub to put on?

edit: Looking ahead to when I do my first ribs, my area Costco Business (like a cross between a restaurant supply store and Costco) sells the following types of pork spare ribs:

I went by and looked at them. The "portions" looked interesting as they cost the same amount per pound as the full ribs, but appeared cut down a fair amount. I'd like to do full racks, but a smaller cut certainly would have its advantages. St. Louis cuts appear expensive enough that I'd be better off to buy the full spare racks and trim myself, even if I wanted that cut. The "brisket" is something I've never heard anyone mention before. It looks like the normal spare rib rack, but is much thicker, like they left the adjoining meat on it.

Also, oddly enough if I go to a standard Costco their spare ribs are about $3/lb for essentially (or maybe exactly) the same thing that their business outlet sells for $1.69/lb.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 5, 2017

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

BeastOfExmoor posted:

My first ever smoked mear, a 7.5lb pork butt, just went on the MES 40 for an overnight smoke. Besides putting my finger on the red hot metal of the AMPS maze everything went alright. We'll see if this thing is thing is lunch tomorrow or dinner.

Rub is just Memphis Dust. Any guidelines for knowing how much rub to put on?

Nice and thick, make sure you get the cracks and put it on 12-24 hours before you're gonna cook.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Stringent posted:

Nice and thick, make sure you get the cracks and put it on 12-24 hours before you're gonna cook.

Rub goes on 24hr before smoking? Interesting. I was going off the AmazingRibs guy's advice which said dry brine 24hr before smoking, but rub goes on immediately before.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

There's no right answer!!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Seriously. I've done it both ways and everyone loved it each time.

Only thing I've not done is put mustard on under the rub. I'd kind of like to try that, but maybe with some sort of spicy mustard.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I have a Pit Barrel Cooker now. Hooray

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

QuarkMartial posted:

Seriously. I've done it both ways and everyone loved it each time.

Only thing I've not done is put mustard on under the rub. I'd kind of like to try that, but maybe with some sort of spicy mustard.

I've done it with Dijon, spicy brown, and regular yellow mustard and have never really noticed a difference in the taste. Same thing with olive oil.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I smoked my first brisket ever and I was shocked at how good it came out and how much simpler it was than I was expecting.
Thank you Costco for the lovely slab of meat at a good price

Post trim. If there's anything I learned for next time, it's that I need a better knife for trimming, chef knife is too big.

And sitting in the oven on warm before guests arrive. Sorry, forgot to get some slice shots before it was all devoured

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

couldcareless posted:

I smoked my first brisket ever and I was shocked at how good it came out and how much simpler it was than I was expecting.
Thank you Costco for the lovely slab of meat at a good price

Those prime Briskets are $2.99/lb here, which appears to be a heck of a deal, but it's still a little painful to imagine spending $30 on a brisket and trim it away like that.

7.5lb butt is on hour 15 and only at 185f. I put it in last night thinking it might be a late lunch, and now I'm worried about dinner. Also, I had the MES pressed up close to the house (foundation is like 5ft high there) to keep it out from the drizzle. Unfortunately I didn't consider the fact that the smoke might make it inside through the nearby window and now my downstairs has a faint campfire smell.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Those prime Briskets are $2.99/lb here, which appears to be a heck of a deal, but it's still a little painful to imagine spending $30 on a brisket and trim it away like that.

It came out moist enough that all that trimmed fat would have been waste anyway. What I lost in size I gained in more surface area thus more delicious bark.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah the extra fat isn't going to help the brisket taste better at the end and will just block smoke from flavoring the actual meat. If you don't want to waste it you can collect a bunch and make tallow.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
2.99/lbs I'd go nuts with that kind of price. More like $7.50/lbs here for brisket.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I almost bought a costco membership last year to get some prime briskets but I snuck in and checked and they didn't carry them at my store. They had Regular briskets for $4.99/lb.

It's been a year and I stopped in again to check and they had the Prime ones for $2.99. Really don't need a sams and a costco card but I'm probably going to do it. I just wish there was a living social deal to sweeten the pot.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 6, 2017

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Their meat alone is probably worth a membership. Their Kirkland brand stuff is usually fantastic and at a competitive price (we buy their laundry detergent, toilet paper, and liquor on the regular) plus they are just a good company to their employees. I'd strongly consider it. You pay double the cost of a membership a year on a Netflix sub

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I can't do Costco beef anymore. Blade tenderized is bullshit. I get so much better from butchers I can walk to.

Also I made pepper stout beef. I thought it was kinda overrated then I reheated it today and put it on an English muffin with a fried egg and get the gently caress out this is delicious.

I'm doing breakfast tacos with it tomorrow.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
My favorite way to Pepper Stout Beef is to put it onto a screaming hot pan with some of it's droppings, drop a slice of provolone over it and cover till it melts. Bottom gets a little crispy, melty cheese, toss it on a a kaiser or something. Hot drat my mouth is watering already.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Put a bunch of chilis and orange in it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Horseradish Mayo...

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

First smoke in the MES 40 is done.

Started with a 7.5lb pork butt. Dry brine was done 24hr in advance and rubbed directly before smoking with Memphis Dust.

Due to some mishaps and a first time learning curve I didn't get it on the smoker until almost 11pm Saturday night. I discovered two facts about smoking that I should have realized in advance. The first is that despite the small amount of smoking material, you'll still smell like you spent the night around a (really good smelling) campfire. The second is that you should allow the smoke to drain before reaching in to adjust anything to avoid the most stinging pain in your eyes.

Lit the AMPS with a pellet made of apple and alder and was happy to discover that it'd burned just fine throughout the night.

I threw the alarm on the Maverick in case of quick cooking (:lol:) or a blown breaker and went to sleep. Woke up about 7am and found the meat stalled at around 150f. Great. By late afternoon I was getting a bit concerned as it was only at 181f and rising by only a degree or two per hour. I upped the temp to 250f to try to speed it up a bit. I finally went out and poked around at 6:30pm with a handheld thermometer to make sure my probe wasn't too close to the bone. Thin side, away from the bone, was 203f in the center. The bone side was a bit all over the place with some temps in the low 180's. I waited a few minutes and yanked it and brought it inside.

I cut it in half at the end of the bone. I threw the "cold" side in double foil and in the oven with a probe and pulled the other half for my wife and I's dinner.

I let the bone half get to 195 before I took it out and let it rest for a bit. The bone came out clean except for a few sticky pieces of meat on the edges that seemed overdone.

Overall, even knowing that this thing would take some time I was surprised at the time needed. I'd consider wrapping if I had to redo it.

Pulled pork is probably my least favorite standard BBQ dish so I was curious to see how I liked it done at home. I was fairly unimpressed, honestly. Bark tasted a little to sweet for me. I'm not sure that's from the apple smoke or too much sugar in the rub.

Anyway, I look forward to trying some other meats in the future. I have a chicken thawing right now. Any good rub recommendations for a spatchcocked chicken? AmazingRibs lists a recipe using Memphis Dust, which I have lots of, but I didn't find it that flavorful on the pork so I'm open to something else.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 6, 2017

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

couldcareless posted:

Their meat alone is probably worth a membership. Their Kirkland brand stuff is usually fantastic and at a competitive price (we buy their laundry detergent, toilet paper, and liquor on the regular) plus they are just a good company to their employees. I'd strongly consider it. You pay double the cost of a membership a year on a Netflix sub

I'm pretty sure I save enough on gas alone to pay off the membership. Gas at costco tends to be ~20c cheaper than non-arco places around here so it's not that hard.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
7.5lbs of meat shouldn't take that long to cook.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I used to laugh at those bear claws and how dumb I deemed the investment, but after having been in the US for 26 months now, the Freedom has permeated through my body to the point where I want a pair.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I've had pork take upwards of 12 hours before, especially bigger cuts.
If you wanna try and skip the stall, wrap that sucker right around 150 and dump in some apple cider vinegar and a bit of broth and seal it up tight and put back on the grill. Amazingribs goes through some talk about stalls which explains the science behind it, but that's all you're seeing there. Pork has a bad tendency to get up to temp super quick for me then sit at 165 or so for 3 hours and piss me off.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
^^^ Any cut of meat 8lbs or under, smoking at at least 225 F, should take way less than 16 hours.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I used to laugh at those bear claws and how dumb I deemed the investment, but after having been in the US for 26 months now, the Freedom has permeated through my body to the point where I want a pair.

Just get gloves that you can use for more than 1 specific purpose or, you know, use some forks.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 6, 2017

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I can only assume that the probe was in a bad place, as he had guessed, then. Or his thermometer isn't calibrated well.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

couldcareless posted:

I can only assume that the probe was in a bad place, as he had guessed, then. Or his thermometer isn't calibrated well.

Maverick probe in input 1 read 212f in boiling water at ~sea level. The smoker temp input is a little wonky (I have a ticket in with Maverick, but I may just order another from Amazon and return), but that wouldn't affect the meat temp. The handheld digital thermometer with identical readings in ice water and boiling water pretty much agreed as well.

No idea why it took so long. It was fairly breezy and wet outside, but the smoker was fairly protected from wind and didn't get a drop of water on it. Smoker temperature was fairly steady the entire smoke until I cranked it up at the end a bit.

It had been on roughly 19 hours when I yanked it and the areas around the bone were still at 190f.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

CapnBry posted:

This is only 7lbs but the starting point was 11:22pm ~40F and it passed 140F at 3:27am. And I am still alive to tell the tale!

The side I am more worried about is when you pull a dozen pounds of pork and put it out for people to eat. It sits for an hour or more at room temps and people want to take the leftovers home. Make sure you reheat the poo poo out of it and don't blame me if you get sick, but take all you want because I am not going to chance that.

Thank you for this post. That was informative and falls within every drat every theory of common sense. I'm posting from the grave from my past mistakes, should have went with the medium-rare burgers from the supermarket.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I pulled the trigger and bought the 30" MES and a cover.
I have one remote/bluetooth thermometer.
Any other accessories?

I'm probably going to smoke a chuck and a chicken or two to break it in.
Maybe some tiny (lb each) briskets.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

toplitzin posted:

This will turn out like burnt ends right?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This will turn out like burnt ends right?

I hope. These tiny rear end briskets are all the local grocer stocks. I can get larger ones if i go to a better store/butcher, but end up paying a bit of a premium. I'm a single guy so costco briskets are stupid.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

toplitzin posted:

I pulled the trigger and bought the 30" MES and a cover.
I have one remote/bluetooth thermometer.
Any other accessories?

I'm probably going to smoke a chuck and a chicken or two to break it in.

An external dual-probe thermometer is probably going to be more accurate then the MES thermometers. Maverick ET-733 can be had from Amazon right now with free "bear claws" for $45.

A pellet smoker tray goes inside the unit and allows you to burn smoker pellets for several hours. This allows you to not have to reload chips every hour. Also, pellets can be fairly cheap. There are several models out there. A-Maze-N makes both a tube and a "maze." There's another model called the "wedgie" that I've heard positive feedback about and is a little cheaper. Use code WEDGIE4 to get $4 off that unit if you buy it.

Remember to season it before cooking real food to burn off all the crap from manufacturing.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
If I wanted to experiment with a few different rubs and things, what are some cheap and small cuts of meat I could smoke?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Any fatty roasts (pork or beef), whole birds or pieces, ribs are usually pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

QuarkMartial posted:

If I wanted to experiment with a few different rubs and things, what are some cheap and small cuts of meat I could smoke?

Cuck roast. In fact unless I can find a source of just the tips of brisket I am going all in on chucks.

fake edit: gently caress it, leaving cuck in there because reasons.