Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Large number of Browns fans are shockingly stupid and don't understand that we're going to have to overpay Pryor just like we did with Jamie Collins. They were just happy to have overpaid Collins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you get one of those $100 dna test kits that outline your anscetry they lump all of the native americans in one basket. They break down europe, asia, and africa by country, but the entirety of the Americas regarding natives is just a big circle.

My friend is columbian and i've taken to calling her an eskimo because the way the map painted her genetic lineage.

I did 23 and Me (and I have no native american heritage, which was actually a surprise because supposedly my dad's mom was born on a Cherokee reservation and was supposedly half or quarter Cherokee, but apparently not, welp) but basically this isn't the fault of the DNA testing sites; it's the fact that we don't have enough reliable genetic markers to distinguish between different historical tribes. You have to get a lot of DNA tests from people whose heritage you're sure about before you can start to identify those markers.

That said, you definitely should be able to distinguish between Inuit heritage and south American native ancestry, LOL.

Cool thing though: found out I'm not native american at all, but was surprised to find out I'm 25% Ashkenazi Jewish. It's all on my father's side, too, so either his mom or his dad was a European Jew. Dunno which, probably never will, but it's a cool thing for me to just randomly learn about myself.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The stadium production people aren't doing the tomahawk chop it's the fans that keep it alive.

They do, however, run a horse around and freak Eric Berry right the gently caress out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't live in Kansas City but I'm betting there's been no concerted effort by the team to discourage fans from doing the tomahawk.

I mean it's Arrowhead Stadium, the team logo is an arrowhead, come on. They're "honoring the Chiefs of the tribes" or somesuch so it's totally OK as far as anyone important is concerned. :shrug:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah but OK, so Mayor H. Roe "Chief" Bartle, who was instrumental in moving the Dallas Texans to KC (in 1963, not the 50s), was part of why they named the team the "Chiefs," but yeah I mean they still dressed up the team with native american imagery, and they still do the loving tomahawk thing in the stands at every home game, etc. etc. I expect hardly anyone looking at them today knows about "Chief" Bartle. It's just "the tone-deaf native american culture-appropriating team that is less racist than the Redskins so we give them a pass, because come on, the Redskins are you loving kidding me?"

They shoulda named the team the Bartles.
And then drafted Blake Bortles

Yeah I know when the Chiefs came, Bartle was elected in the 50s and was out by the middle of the 60s so I think it's fair to call him a 50's dude.

Also the fans blatantly stole the tomahawk chop from the Braves, who in turn stole it from the Seminoles, who in turn appropriated it from the...er, Seminoles. There was absolutely nothing about Native Americans implied with the name originally! Arrowhead Stadium was....It was....named...because... of a nearby road! That's it.

Uh...this was, just...hmmm.....

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

God, that logo even has them running to Oklahoma :negative:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Kansans are hunting a different type of Indian these days

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Honest to god if this happens I might start believing in fixed poo poo. Cousins is the best QB the Redskins have had since I've been alive (McNabb's twilight season doesn't count).

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

First I've heard of us linked to McCaffrey. I'd be down with Cook but I'm a homer.

I think it's more that I don't want to spend a 1st round pick on a RB that's not a generational talent. I'd rather spend it on the defense or OL and get Kamara or someone in the 2nd.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PriscoCBS/status/839194031594868736

Trade AJ for something funny please

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
thanks for the very informative tweet, pete

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Who's going to start Case Keenum next season?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Who wants some Big Dig Derek Anderson?!?!!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

o

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/839201748866777089

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Leperflesh posted:

I did 23 and Me (and I have no native american heritage, which was actually a surprise because supposedly my dad's mom was born on a Cherokee reservation and was supposedly half or quarter Cherokee, but apparently not, welp) but basically this isn't the fault of the DNA testing sites; it's the fact that we don't have enough reliable genetic markers to distinguish between different historical tribes. You have to get a lot of DNA tests from people whose heritage you're sure about before you can start to identify those markers.

That said, you definitely should be able to distinguish between Inuit heritage and south American native ancestry, LOL.

Cool thing though: found out I'm not native american at all, but was surprised to find out I'm 25% Ashkenazi Jewish. It's all on my father's side, too, so either his mom or his dad was a European Jew. Dunno which, probably never will, but it's a cool thing for me to just randomly learn about myself.

I get why its hard to differentiate (cause we killed all the natives) but they don't even put effort forth on sorting them.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I wonder if this is the CB we were rumored to be after in a trade.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This was in response to some doofus (Garafolo) saying that Garoppolo would only be available for multiple 1sts.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Ehud posted:

Titans are going to give back the Rams No. 5 overall pick for Trumaine

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chiefs should rebrand to John Brown swinging a broadsword as a mascot.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I just want a team to start Matt mcgloin

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Price of Garoppolo now set at 4 First Round picks.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Ehud posted:

We have this lightly used Matt Moore...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I found out I was 1/16 Blackfoot after I worked my way through college. I'm glad I didn't have the temptation to try and use that to my advantage.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

I think it's more that I don't want to spend a 1st round pick on a RB that's not a generational talent. I'd rather spend it on the defense or OL and get Kamara or someone in the 2nd.

I'd be shocked if they took OL before the fifth. They seem happy with what the have.

I'm fine with any D besides LB or TE/WR.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I get why its hard to differentiate (cause we killed all the natives) but they don't even put effort forth on sorting them.

Hmm, which service is that? I seem to recall 23 and Me being at least a little better.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Chiefs should rebrand to John Brown swinging a broadsword as a mascot.

What are you a dirty Jayhawk? :argh:

e: It'll never ever happen because it's either not manly enough (butterfly) or not 'Merica enough, but I'd be down with renaming them the Monarchs

vv--haha I had no idea those existed but it's very Missouri

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 7, 2017

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

What are you a dirty Jayhawk? :argh:

It's either Jayhawks or Bushwhackers.

I had to march in uniform in Bushwhacker days parades, before I knew what they were.

holy poo poo that was messed up.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Since I swear I'm taking crazy pills listening to QB stuff I'm just going to layout what I'm thinking:

The draft scuttlebutt is that there's no top of the class QB prospect, so teams are looking at available free agency options.

The salary cap has been increasing faster then contracts, and bad teams have tended to be very bad for awhile, so have no veterans they're spending money on so they all have a billion dollars in cap space.

The available (or will be) QB's in free agency are actually better then usual, but either super old (Romo) and looking to only join a contender (probably only Broncos/Texans realistically), or have trashed their trade value (Cousins) since he only wants to go to his BFF.

The rest of the available guys are either below average to awful starters with long track records (Cutler, Fitzpatrick, etc...) or guys with some not impressive experience that at least provide hope (Glennon) or that require trade compensation (Garoppolo, AJ McCarron).

Looking at this abyss is the only thing keeping the Bills cutting Tyrod.

So a high money, short term contract to Glennon therefore makes sense because unlike everyone else, he doesn't cost draft picks and at least provides a tiny glimmer of hope that the most likely better QB, Cutler does not?

Also the Patriots and to a much lesser extent Bengals are being ridiculous about what they expect for their backup QB's. Because money for these guys isn't the problem, but trading away valuable picks is.

The last like 6 years have also shown something we haven't seen since the 80's... a bunch of 2nd round+ QB's that have come in and become solid franchise QB's. The Seahawks, Raiders, Cowboys and Bengals all found their franchise QB's that way, and guys like Bridgewater and Kaepernick have had some success as well.

As a side note, falling back to the QB draft class stuff, where some analytic guys are kinda pointing out that a lot of the options are surprisingly similar to top ranked draft picks of years past, just a bit uh, blacker then those guys. I don't follow draft stuff enough to go either way on it, but I've seen enough of it historically to suspect it.

So I guess for most QB needy teams, sign Cutler (or worse) and draft a prospect with your 2nd round pick (or trade up to the end of the first maybe?) or decide the QB class is actually that bad and try and trade for Garoppolo? or just punt on this year and try and build a roster good enough to succeed with a mid round QB in the future.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

No Butt Stuff posted:

It's either Jayhawks or Bushwhackers.

I had to march in uniform in Bushwhacker days parades, before I knew what they were.

holy poo poo that was messed up.
Decided to do a quick google on this

A toddler swimsuit show? :wtc:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Reading that it seems like Nick Foles would actually be a not...terribly bad pickup this year in free agency?

I mean he's in reality a bad pickup, but if the alternative is paying Glennon 16m/year then...

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

I'd be shocked if they took OL before the fifth. They seem happy with what the have.

I'm fine with any D besides LB or TE/WR.

Eh you can never have too many OL, but yeah maybe I'm thinking too much about taking one in the 1st. Either way spend it on D in the first and wait on RB for later rounds.

Also please don't sign Peterson like NFL network seems to want to happen so bad.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eli Wiggum posted:

Decided to do a quick google on this

A toddler swimsuit show? :wtc:

Same:

quote:

Downtown Nevada, MO come alive with a carnival, variety of concerts from gospel to country. Bring the kids for pony rides, puppet show, games, rides, and the 48th annual parade. The excitement continues with Civil War reenactors, the Texaco Country Showdown, living history, antique tractor show, quild guild show, cars and trucks, volunteer firefighters water games, juggling, and so much more. Stick around for the concerts in the evening.

Everything from gospel to country! :stonklol:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I have, or rather had, family in Nevada (that's Ne-VA-duh) Missouri. I need to ask them how long this has been a thing and if they've attended.

e: They're the side of the family who swear we're related to Jesse James and are incredibly proud about it

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kalli posted:

Also the Patriots and to a much lesser extent Bengals are being ridiculous about what they expect for their backup QB's. Because money for these guys isn't the problem, but trading away valuable picks is.

Like everything else involving the Patriots, it's hard to really know what they're thinking here. Do they seriously expect a high 1st rounder +++ for him? Are they just throwing out ridiculous demands on the off chance somebody will overpay out of stupidity? Do they even want to move him at all?

If I had my way they'd just dump him for whatever they could get, but I'm less sure that's their plan than I was a month ago. :iiam:

e:

Kalli posted:

Same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZfUnCK5qk

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/839208707762323456

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Tyrod Taylor is the QB you are looking for. I would take Kaep over Glennon fer crying out loud. This is easy make me GM.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

Tyrod Taylor is the QB you are looking for. I would take Kaep over Glennon fer crying out loud. This is easy make me GM.

I think the stuff about Kaepernick being a problem socially is actually true.

I just don't think it's with fans, so much as with front offices and owners who absolutely hate him.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Kansans are hunting a different type of Indian these days
This didnt get enough love. Its also too soon.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kalli posted:

I think the stuff about Kaepernick being a problem socially is actually true.

I just don't think it's with fans, so much as with front offices and owners who absolutely hate him.

It's like he was grown in a lab to alienate lovely white billionaires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kalli posted:

Same:

I can't tell if this reminds me more of Branson or Silver Dollar City

edit:

Grittybeard posted:

I have, or rather had, family in Nevada (that's Ne-VA-duh) Missouri.

I recently drove through Versailles, MO. (that's Ver-sails)

kiimo fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 7, 2017

• Locked thread