Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I didn't try out the shockwave chip until after I've already beaten the game.

Don't be me. Use shockwave always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You can't permanently miss sidequests, you'll always have a chance to do them later if you want. Sometimes they just go away for a while.

Watching streams, yikes @ people just running in and slaughtering non-hostiles

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

lets hang out posted:

You can't permanently miss sidequests, you'll always have a chance to do them later if you want. Sometimes they just go away for a while.

Watching streams, yikes @ people just running in and slaughtering non-hostiles

I killed a lot of the guys at the amusement park the first time I went, until I got to machine village. I couldn't bring myself to kill them anymore after that :(

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

arisu posted:

I killed a lot of the guys at the amusement park the first time I went, until I got to machine village. I couldn't bring myself to kill them anymore after that :(

I killed nobody even when 9S told me to because this is a Yoko Taro game

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Is it me or do the heavy swords in this game kinda do crappy damage for their attack speed? I'm not super far in but I'm still trying to find a reason not to just mash square with a light sword always

Edit: The one I have equipped (Beastlord) says it does 320-350 damage, which is rated higher than any other weapon I have, but in practice it does like ~170 damage per hit compared to my light sword and spear's much quicker ~210. I don't get it

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 7, 2017

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Speaking of heavy swords, is Hymir's Finger / Iron Will back?

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Oh - maybe it's that the big swords can hit multiple times if you land squarely...

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Has anyone ordered the PC code off of amazon? I've got some amazon credit to buy this with, but it has a shipping date of December 31st of this year, so I'm slightly confused. I know sometimes amazon just has hosed up dates and such that work themselves out closer to release, just thought I'd ask.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://nier2.com/blog/2017/03/07/nierautomata-world-guide-novellas/

Summary of the first of two novellas with the World Guide book that came out.

:siren:extremely spoilery do not read until you have finished the game (Ending C/D onwards should be safe but leave it for E):siren:

jeeeeesus

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Space Hamlet posted:

Is it me or do the heavy swords in this game kinda do crappy damage for their attack speed? I'm not super far in but I'm still trying to find a reason not to just mash square with a light sword always

Edit: The one I have equipped (Beastlord) says it does 320-350 damage, which is rated higher than any other weapon I have, but in practice it does like ~170 damage per hit compared to my light sword and spear's much quicker ~210. I don't get it

I used my heavy swords more as AOE sweep and knockbacks rather than damage.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Has anyone ordered the PC code off of amazon? I've got some amazon credit to buy this with, but it has a shipping date of December 31st of this year, so I'm slightly confused. I know sometimes amazon just has hosed up dates and such that work themselves out closer to release, just thought I'd ask.

Most likely that's just a placeholder date, it defaults to Dec. 31 when they have a year of release but not a date. Maybe they just never updated to the March 17 date.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 7, 2017

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Apparently if a body decides to spawn on top of a ladder you can't go up it, the collision just pushes you straight back down. Glad I can save where I am.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Just picked up the game. Haven't read any spoilers online. Played the demo that came out in December but that's it. Any tips or things I should know before going in?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Just picked up the game. Haven't read any spoilers online. Played the demo that came out in December but that's it. Any tips or things I should know before going in?

Jump and Heavy attack for the launcher move is a godsend for exploring and even if you want to play on Hard, the prologue is recommended to be played on Normal.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 7, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
My PSN account is banned right now for security reasons, which means I won't be able to download patches until support unfucks the account in "24-48 business hours". I understand there are gamebreaking issues involved with not having patch 1.03 installed before you begin the game in the Japanese version; are there still issues in the American release?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Reiterpallasch posted:

My PSN account is banned right now for security reasons, which means I won't be able to download patches until support unfucks the account in "24-48 business hours". I understand there are gamebreaking issues involved with not having patch 1.03 installed before you begin the game in the Japanese version; are there still issues in the American release?

Is it an IP ban as a whole or a account, because you could try prompting download on another account if not?
Let the game fully download though and you should be okay?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I mean, I was just gonna buy a physical disk; I was more worried about the patch.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The big issue was that you couldn't progress an essential quest if you started a game with an incomplete install but that shouldn't be a big issue with disk.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Playing path b of original Nier right now. It's a bit of a slog, though. Also the weapon prices seem quite disheartening to me. If I want to have all of these weapons by the next playthrough I'll have to earn at least 150k bux, maybe more which isn't very easy. I just unlocked the farm and planted everything but I have no idea what I'm doing. I tried doing the fishing quests but I couldn't be arsed spending that much time catching fish (I heard some fish gets you a lot of money). I figure I'll play and farm as I go, then sperg out if I need to in order to get the weapons later.

edit: how far can I get in automata before I have spoiled the original Nier? it's sitting on my ps4 now and I want to play it, but also I feel like I shouldn't.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

redreader posted:

Playing path b of original Nier right now. It's a bit of a slog, though. Also the weapon prices seem quite disheartening to me. If I want to have all of these weapons by the next playthrough I'll have to earn at least 150k bux, maybe more which isn't very easy. I just unlocked the farm and planted everything but I have no idea what I'm doing. I tried doing the fishing quests but I couldn't be arsed spending that much time catching fish (I heard some fish gets you a lot of money). I figure I'll play and farm as I go, then sperg out if I need to in order to get the weapons later.

edit: how far can I get in automata before I have spoiled the original Nier? it's sitting on my ps4 now and I want to play it, but also I feel like I shouldn't.

You can go the entire way through Automata and will have spoiled nothing except a character spoiler that you're already likely aware of that doesn't really factor into the plot much at all. These sequels take place basically millennia apart, and aside from stuff like themes and things like that, there's nothing in the way of connective tissue.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

But also lol if you think you're ever going to go back to the first nier if you start automata

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I hope this game is downloaded when I get home

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Same, I thought it downloaded while I was sleeping but it said it failed so I started it before I left work

I actually wasn't super hyped by the demo but everyone I know preordered the game

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/839128512757821441

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

redreader posted:

It's been years since I played, but I remember making more money than I ever needed by buying a bunch of rice seeds and bounty fertilizer, and putting both in every single plot of the farm. 20-ish hours later (or a few minutes if you change your system clock to the next day) and you'll get a bunch of rice which sells for a lot.

Maybe they found a better way since then, a quick google search just brought up old forums talking about using rice.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Just started the game,it's pretty good so far. Just wondering-where do I find pyrite? Is it something I find in the desert? I would like to know so I can upgrade BEASTLORD :black101: On that note,are there any weapons with a cooler name than BEASTLORD?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

Just started the game,it's pretty good so far. Just wondering-where do I find pyrite? Is it something I find in the desert? I would like to know so I can upgrade BEASTLORD :black101: On that note,are there any weapons with a cooler name than BEASTLORD?

You can get it there but it's really rare to do so. Generally speaking, the game gives access to the materials you need to rank up around the time that it thinks it would be prudent to rank up. I wouldn't worry too hard about it for now but if needs must, a lot of RNG blessing in any desert area can get you there.

I've been watching streams of randos playing.

It's really, really infuriating to see people have 9S's AI turned on and just hang back with the pod while also saying the games combat is dull when they're actively choosing not to participate in it. I can't watch Automata streams anymore.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Lakbay posted:

everyone I know preordered the game

It's still super weird to me that people actually seem to be buying a game made by Yoko Taro and Platinum. Based on their history this game should sell like rear end and get mediocre reviews despite being great, but neither of those seem to be happening.

I'm really excited that both Taro and Platinum are finally getting their time to shine.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lets hang out posted:

But also lol if you think you're ever going to go back to the first nier if you start automata

I will probably play Nier again at some point because the music and story are good and I know to skip most of the sidequests

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's really, really infuriating to see people have 9S's AI turned on and just hang back with the pod while also saying the games combat is dull when they're actively choosing not to participate in it. I can't watch Automata streams anymore.

For the 1st PT 9S did nothing other than run into enemies despite changing the combat style until I hit Aggressive which ended up killing the happy machines too :smith:

I did turn on auto-chips because I hated aiming the pod during fights and flying enemies are bad.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

A lot of what I've seen is people playing on hard because they're real tough guys and then being super afraid of getting close to enemies because every hit does 90 to 100% of their health. but of course they'll never turn the difficulty down.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Welp, there goes my hopes and dreams :(

Thanks for the help

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lets hang out posted:

A lot of what I've seen is people playing on hard because they're real tough guys and then being super afraid of getting close to enemies because every hit does 90 to 100% of their health. but of course they'll never turn the difficulty down.

The annoying thing is that there is no well-tuned difficulty if you want challenging but not absurdly so. Normal is hilariously easy and doesn't even require you to pay attention most of the time (and this is doubly true later on when you can get some broken plug-in chip setups) while hard is one/two-shot city.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

lets hang out posted:

I stopped by ENB's stream cos he's a swell guy and enjoyable but this is him to a tee. It's sad to see. Specially considering he plays nioh like he should play NieR

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So...do I get any combat bracers other than bare fists? I feel like I'm quite a ways into the game but haven't gotten one alternative yet.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Genocyber posted:

The annoying thing is that there is no well-tuned difficulty if you want challenging but not absurdly so. Normal is hilariously easy and doesn't even require you to pay attention most of the time (and this is doubly true later on when you can get some broken plug-in chip setups) while hard is one/two-shot city.

Kinda yeah. Normal can be challenging if you turn the AI off and keep your weapon damage low. I'm doing a Hard save with low damage weapons only and its balls hard to me and I've done all of the content already. It's not a newbie friendly difficulty.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Artelier posted:

So...do I get any combat bracers other than bare fists? I feel like I'm quite a ways into the game but haven't gotten one alternative yet.

You can get a pair in the forest with platforming up on cliffs.

There's a vendor who sells two pairs in specific contexts. You will know the vendor when you see him.

dog house
Sep 13, 2012

I don't recall being able to get any until my 2nd play through.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

really queer Christmas posted:

Welp, there goes my hopes and dreams :(

Thanks for the help

Well it might be that the offical settings are just what platinum says is required to reach High quality textures,1080p at 60fps. I think it was like that with MGR: R?

maybe just maybe you can lower the texture quality to medium and you'll be fine.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Genocyber posted:

This is no joke one of the biggest things ruining the game for me right now. Normal is boring. Hard is absurdly punishing.

I bought two open-world post apocalyptic games this month. One I expected to have incredible combat mechanics, a fascinating game world, interesting side quests with well designed combat encounters, and a well tuned challenge. The other I expected to have some fairly casual combat, probably a bit of jank, and generic open-world quests, but hoped the interesting setting would make up for it.

I was exactly right, I just got which would be which backwards. Thank god I impulse bought HZD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

Well it might be that the offical settings are just what platinum says is required to reach High quality textures,1080p at 60fps. I think it was like that with MGR: R?

maybe just maybe you can lower the texture quality to medium and you'll be fine.

That was minimum requirements. For 720p.
I doubt there's any hope for his system.

Unless he really likes powerpoint presentations.