Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

YeahTubaMike posted:

N: https://twitter.com/thekapman/status/839198709875273729

V: Jake Arrieta is a fuckwad, and I take back every nice thing I ever said about his beautiful thighs after the Body Issue.

lol what a bitch. He earned by default by taking your lovely pitch for a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Dr. Remulak posted:

Because he'd toss one at a rookie for bat flipping on him? Are you guys that soft?

Yes.

quote:

I'm all for bat flips and celebrating and poo poo talking, it makes the game more fun for the viewer, but if you're a young gun doing that to a pitcher you know exactly what you're signing up for.

Sorry I don't view deliberately hurting people as "fun". :shrug:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dr. Remulak posted:

Because he'd toss one at a rookie for bat flipping on him? Are you guys that soft?

I'm all for bat flips and celebrating and poo poo talking, it makes the game more fun for the viewer, but if you're a young gun doing that to a pitcher you know exactly what you're signing up for.

haha yeah I assault people all the time when the beat me in a sporting event. high five buddy!!!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Dr. Remulak posted:

Throwing at dudes is never okay. Also kid earns his flip.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dr. Remulak posted:

Maybe you should try not being such an rear end in a top hat that you need to physically hurt someone who's celebrating?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

tadashi posted:

This is great.

Also, there's a dude on this season of MTV's The Challenge who looks like a young Arod when he's looking right at the camera and I really hope he wins and then shouts "How does it feel to be poor, motherfuckers?" at the other contestants.

I still think Greyworm from GoT looks like a young A-Rod.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Such weird outrage.. It's been a part of baseball for quite some time.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dr. Remulak posted:

Such weird outrage.. It's been a part of baseball for quite some time.

Racism was a huge pet of baseball too, we should just go back to the good old days!

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Racism was a huge pet of baseball too, we should just go back to the good old days!

You're comparing racism to throwing a ball at a guy? Is that really the argument you're making?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Throwing at a young player and risking breaking his ribs/arm/hand/whatever just because you're not good enough to keep the ball in the yard is not OK whether people have been doing it for years or not, hth

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dr. Remulak posted:

You're comparing racism to throwing a ball at a guy? Is that really the argument you're making?

My point is, is that just because something is "Part of the game for a long time" doesn't make it good. It can be bad.

Arrietta should punish that rookie by striking him out and making him look like an idiot, not physically harming him because he is a big baby man child. Instead he is going to intentionally throw at someone, which could injure him, hurt his team, create a situation where other players may get involved all because his dumb ego got hurt.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

Throwing at a young player and risking breaking his ribs/arm/hand/whatever just because you're not good enough to keep the ball in the yard is not OK whether people have been doing it for years or not, hth

You can hit the ball out of the yard and not disrespect the pitcher too can't you? He never said that he'd throw at someone just for taking him deep.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Dr. Remulak posted:

You can hit the ball out of the yard and not disrespect the pitcher too can't you? He never said that he'd throw at someone just for taking him deep.

Then you should be a fan of the inverse to hitting a guy with a baseball, then. A rookie pitcher getting excited at ending an inning is subject to a free swing (not to the head, mind you, we're not savages here) from the batter, bat in hand. Gotta keep those egos in check, yo.

The point is, "It's always been done that way" is a stupid reason to keep doing something stupid and potentially damaging.

e: better quote to respond to

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Oh boy a new Cubs poster who is a poo poo head

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Explosionface posted:

Then you should be a fan of the inverse to hitting a guy with a baseball, then. A rookie pitcher getting excited at ending an inning is subject to a free swing (not to the head, mind you, we're not savages here) from the batter, bat in hand. Gotta keep those egos in check, yo.

I would support this rule.

beejay posted:

Oh boy a new Cubs poster who is a poo poo head

Please, lets refrain from name-calling. You're hurting my feelings.

Shapur fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 7, 2017

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
no mcgibblets parrot accounts plz

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dr. Remulak posted:

:lol: "disrespect the pitcher"

A bat flip is a pretty mild celebration of an on-field accomplishment. Professional pitchers should be able to handle the indignity of seeing their opponent toss their equipment away with a slight flourish.

Seriously think for a moment what Arrieta is saying here. He can't stand to see someone drop a bat in a kinda different way without it hurting his ego so much he feels compelled to try and physically injure the guy next time he gets a chance. That's absurdly stupid.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 7, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dr. Remulak posted:

And the pitcher feeling "disrespected" (only from a young player though, it's not disrespectful if it's a guy with 2000PA) means he can intentionally throw at the hitter and potentially cause him to miss weeks of playing time?

e: I look forward to the insta-reversal on this argument the first time that Rizzo gets hit this season

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
If someone dabs after a home run, can I hit them with a baseball their next AB?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bawfuls posted:

:lol: "disrespect the pitcher"

A bat flip is a pretty mild celebration of an on-field accomplishment. Professional pitchers should be able to handle the indignity of seeing their opponent toss their equipment away with a slight flourish.

What if the batter crosses the mound on their way to the dugout after making an out? Can we throw at them then?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I wanna see a batter steal 2nd, 3rd, and home on 3 straight pitches after eating a retaliation pitch

Then he taunts the pitcher a second time

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Julio Cruz posted:

This.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I wanna see a batter steal 2nd, 3rd, and home on 3 straight pitches after eating a retaliation pitch

It's a walk-off steal, he throws his helmet directly into the pitcher's dick.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

What if the batter crosses the mound on their way to the dugout after making an out? Can we throw at them then?
in Texas, castle doctrine comes into play here and the pitcher is within his rights to shoot the trespasser with his constitutionally protected sidearm

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Should get to taunt him the rest of the game if the retaliation pitch misses

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Bryce Harper basically did this in his rookie season against Cole Hamels. Not in three pitches, but he stole second and home after wearing one for the crime of being good at baseball.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

And the pitcher feeling "disrespected" (only from a young player though, it's not disrespectful if it's a guy with 2000PA) means he can intentionally throw at the hitter and potentially cause him to miss weeks of playing time?

e: I look forward to the insta-reversal on this argument the first time that Rizzo gets hit this season

I'm not saying I'm encouraging people to go out there headhunting or throwing at people's ribs. I'm simply saying that it's a part of baseball culture whether you like it or not. Go ahead and raise hell about how much you all hate violence and we should all love eachother on the internet, I'm sure you will make a huge impact on the game and in the men's minds that have spent their entire lives around baseball.

Also, Rizzo gets hit all the time so idk what you're talking about.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

in Texas, castle doctrine comes into play here and the pitcher is within his rights to shoot the trespasser with his constitutionally protected sidearm

Cue ESPN headlines about how shooting the guy just proves the pitcher is intense and a competitor and it's okay because he leaves it all between the lines.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dr. Remulak posted:

You could also just walk off the field after striking someone out to get out of an inning but that sure doesn't stop pitchers from fistpumping or screaming about it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Don't throw poo poo if you don't want people bat flipping you.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Dr. Remulak posted:

Go ahead and raise hell about how much you all hate violence and we should all love eachother on the internet, I'm sure you will make a huge impact on the game and in the men's minds that have spent their entire lives around baseball.

This but unironically.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is it ok if I like both batflips and pitchers throwing inside?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Remulak posted:

I'm not saying I'm encouraging people to go out there headhunting or throwing at people's ribs. I'm simply saying that it's a part of baseball culture whether you like it or not. Go ahead and raise hell about how much you all hate violence and we should all love eachother on the internet, I'm sure you will make a huge impact on the game and in the men's minds that have spent their entire lives around baseball.

Rizzo gets hit all the time because he stands on the plate, it's not intentional.

It's a tradition but it's dumb, people can and do get injured getting hit by a 90 MPH fastball. Just because they grew up doing it and it was encouraged in the minors/highschool whatever doesn't mean it's good. There have been plenty of position players who have spoken out how it's stupid and should be done away with.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

You could also just walk off the field after striking someone out to get out of an inning but that sure doesn't stop pitchers from fistpumping or screaming about it.

Fair point. Maybe I'll work on a movement where batters can throw something at the pitcher during their next AB. Any suggestions?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Popete posted:

Rizzo gets hit all the time because he stands on the plate, it's not intentional.

It's a tradition but it's dumb, people can and do get injured getting hit by a 90 MPH fastball. Just because they grew up doing it and it was encouraged in the minors/highschool whatever doesn't mean it's good. There have been plenty of position players who have spoken out how it's stupid and should be done away with.

If they hit them with a 20mph knuckleball on purpose instead does that change your anger at it?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dr. Remulak posted:

So it's not OK but because it happens we should all be OK with it? I'm not following your logic here.

Dr. Remulak posted:

And if he has to go on the DL after one of them I bet the first thing out of your mouth won't be "ah well, just part of the game".

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

bewbies posted:

Is it ok if I like both batflips and pitchers throwing inside?

I like them both and I would advise you not agree with me.

Popete posted:

I get that, I watch him play quite regularly. He also doesn't bat flip so I didn't understand the point to begin with.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Athanatos posted:

If they hit them with a 20mph knuckleball on purpose instead does that change your anger at it?

If you can get hit by a 20 MPH pitch than you absolutely deserve it.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pitchers are big loving babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dr. Remulak posted:

I get that, I watch him play quite regularly. He also doesn't bat flip so I didn't understand the point to begin with.

Because "disrespecting the pitcher" is such a vague concept that literally anything could be taken as a reason to throw at him in his next AB. Hit a homer, stare at the pitcher, talk to the catcher, don't run the bases fast enough, run over the mound, try to steal a base in a blowout, the list goes on and on.

• Locked thread