Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Pot: it has the same withdraw symptoms as tacos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

FuriousxGeorge posted:

that's the symptoms for quitting after months of heavy use too (like stoned drat near 24/7). compared to tobacco and alc, it definitely should be legal

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

FuriousxGeorge posted:

i've never had a loss of appetite with tacos though

but yeah pot should be as legal as tacos

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov38 posted:

why would the banks that were totally okay with laundering for the cartels freeze the account of a massive corporation. laws only apply for the poor and legitimate small businesses

pretty much every bank has been pretty clear they want nothing to do with marijuana businesses because it opens them up to criminal liability. cigarette companies (and big pharma) are publicly traded corporations and it's not really possible for them to enter the market without putting the entire company at risk. this is basically the only reason why federal criminalization of marijuana matters. very few people are prosecuted under these laws, but it blocks the formation of legitimate markets in states that have legalized.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

well until it's legal on federal level, no national corporation can touch marijuana unless they want their bank accounts frozen.

in a weird way introducing it state by state is more progressive since it allows smaller, local business to establish themselves into the market before the large companies dp

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Gringostar posted:

i've never had a loss of appetite with tacos though

but yeah pot should be as legal as tacos

That's probably just you.

Every time I eat five sofritas tacos I'm not hungry anymore.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
at any rate yes pharamaceutical companies do spend money fighting legalization

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/09/08/anti-marijuana-campaigns-biggest-donor-chandler-pharma-company/89981456/
https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2016/oct/22/recreational-marijuana-legalization-big-business

because it turns out states with legal weed have lower painkiller prescription rates

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/07/13/one-striking-chart-shows-why-pharma-companies-are-fighting-legal-marijuana/

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
i thought gorillas was referring to private prisons

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Private prisons are another really stupid dem obsession. We overcrowded our prisons long before we came up with the private prisons idea.

The solution isn't going to be locking up people in public prisons like in the old days, it's that we need to stop locking people up and we need to let out the people we already locked up. Not just non-violent offenders either. We need to let out armed robbers and we need to let them work in the cubicle next to yours.

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 22:32 on Mar 7, 2017

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Private prisons are another really stupid dem obsession. We overcrowded our prisons long before we came up with the private prisons idea.

The solution isn't going to be locking up people in private prisons like in the old days, it's that we need to stop locking people up and we need to let out the people we already locked up. Not just non-violent offenders either. We need to let out armed robbers and we need to let them work in the cubicle next to yours.

private prisons matter because they're incentivized to spend as little money as possible on inmates in order to extract maximum profit. they're horrifically inhumane and abusive places, even compared to normal prisons. that's not to say our entire criminal justice system doesn't need reform, though - smaller penalties, more focus on rehabilitation, ban the box.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

well until it's legal on federal level, no national corporation can touch marijuana unless they want their bank accounts frozen.

if a company the size of altria were to throw their weight around on the issue the government would fold almost immediately

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

ITT: Democrats insist their state prisons are great, not like those nasty private prisons.

Vote democrat, you will have a better prison.

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 22:46 on Mar 7, 2017

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

The Muppets On PCP posted:

if a company the size of altria were to throw their weight around on the issue the government would fold almost immediately

they would definitely face a shareholder lawsuit and possible federal or state prosecution. a company like altria operates in so many jurisdictions that involvement in marijuana could open them to prosecution in any of them. it would be a disaster. if they could make money in marijuana they'd already be doing it

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

FuriousxGeorge posted:

They are like .0000001% more bad than public prisons, if that. You think public institutions aren't incentivized to spend as little money as possible? ROFL.

The only people who care about that issue are people who are too cowardly to confront the real issue.

they are way, way worse than public prisons. see this expose from MJ:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/06/cca-private-prisons-corrections-corporation-inmates-investigation-bauer

the conditions in private prisons are horrific. they repeatedly violate standards imposed by states & courts on treatment of inmates. the incentives are totally different vs. public institutions - a public institution is budgeted money, and if they don't spend it it goes back to general revenue. private prisons get profit for every dollar they save, which incentivizes them to pay as little as possible per prisoner.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

ITT: Democrats insist their state prisons are nicer than alternative private prisons.

Vote dem, we will house you in a slightly better cell!

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

I mean, still no bathroom privacy. That would be crazy. -democrats

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
weird, how two things can be bad at once.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

You're right, republicans and bad dems can both be bad at the same time.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Weird how they don't have to be. And yet democrats never make any effort of any kind to fix them. This is my point. Opposing private prisons is not doing anything at all about these bad things.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

FuriousxGeorge posted:

ITT: Democrats insist their state prisons are great, not like those nasty private prisons.

Vote democrat, you will have a better prison.

jesus christ youre loving dense

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i've been in hell for awhile, and i'm sick of all these people complaining about the river of scorpions. that's like 0.00001% worse than the lake of fire, which is the real problem we need to focus on.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
"Why do anything ever something bad will happen regardless" - Socrates probably

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

jesus christ youre loving dense

It's "you're" bro. Happy to help.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

they would definitely face a shareholder lawsuit and possible federal or state prosecution. a company like altria operates in so many jurisdictions that involvement in marijuana could open them to prosecution in any of them. it would be a disaster. if they could make money in marijuana they'd already be doing it

they've been violating child labor laws in multiple states for decades with zero consequences; legality isn't a huge concern

the reason they're not involved in weed is because of a) cultural attitudes among management and more importantly b) weed cultivation and processing is far less labor-intensive than tobacco which discourages large scale enterprise

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

the sanders campaign endorsed this plan. the commission is specifically directed to gut super delegates, by its charter. i get being skeptical but a freakout about something that has not happened, without any indication that it might happen at all, is absurd. nothing has changed since the rules committee put this commission together. larry cohen and jen o'malley dillon have been touring dem events across the country together to promote the unity commission, so it doesn't really seem like there's any contention at the moment.

They'll reduce the number of super delegates by 15 and then act really shocked that it doesn't end the "leftist crusade" against the party.

I mean the whole thing will be run by the folks who considered Schumer's DNC chair pick too radical. It will be a joke.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

FuriousxGeorge posted:

It's "you're" bro. Happy to help.

okay man for sure

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i mean criminal reform is largely at the state level and federal mandates against private prisons would be a change that the federal government can actually make to somewhat ameliorate the hell dimension of the american justice system, but nah lets be rage addicts and piss and moan instead

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

i mean criminal reform is largely at the state level and federal mandates against private prisons would be a change that the federal government can actually make to somewhat ameliorate the hell dimension of the american justice system, but nah lets be rage addicts and piss and moan instead

Private prisons are also politically unpopular, so you lose nothing by opposing them. Except donations, maybe.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

now ur gettin it!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

They'll reduce the number of super delegates by 15 and then act really shocked that it doesn't end the "leftist crusade" against the party.

I mean the whole thing will be run by the folks who considered Schumer's DNC chair pick too radical. It will be a joke.

they are directed by the rules committee to give a recommendation that all non-elected super delegates are bound to their state's results (this represents most super delegates), so this seems pretty unlikely. i would prefer they eliminate superdelegates entirely, but at the very least the remaining supers are people who are at least directly accountable to the electorate. technically, the unity commission then sends those recommendations to the rules committee who has final say to enact, but most likely (unless something goes very wrong) the final proposal will be unanimous and the rules committee will allow it to go through.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
it's understandable to display white hot fury at private prisons and our prison system in general, but its also important to have reading comprehension so you can realize nobody ITT is saying state prisons are fine

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

woah way to not recognize the suffering of people with cancer

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
also if ur goal is reform of the penal system then you sorta need to deal with the privatized elements over which u have limited oversight

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The solution isn't going to be locking up people in public prisons like in the old days, it's that we need to stop locking people up and we need to let out the people we already locked up. Not just non-violent offenders either. We need to let out armed robbers and we need to let them work in the cubicle next to yours.

the school to prison pipeline is real, and strong, and it's my friend because i like to criminalize black and brown people

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
the focus on healthcare is a cowardly distraction from the real issue facing the american people: mortality.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
also I did my revolutionary duty and voted for the Sanders campaign worker candidate for city council to-day. prog cred status: re-upped

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

the focus on healthcare is a cowardly distraction from the real issue facing the american people: the lack of women CEOs in the finance industry

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

they are directed by the rules committee to give a recommendation that all non-elected super delegates are bound to their state's results (this represents most super delegates), so this seems pretty unlikely. i would prefer they eliminate superdelegates entirely, but at the very least the remaining supers are people who are at least directly accountable to the electorate. technically, the unity commission then sends those recommendations to the rules committee who has final say to enact, but most likely (unless something goes very wrong) the final proposal will be unanimous and the rules committee will allow it to go through.

Bottom line is that the superdelegates will retain their power to decide any reasonably close primary as they see fit. That's if the party actually decides to actually make the recommended changes.

It's not all non-elected superdelegates either, as the resolution language doesn't include the "distinguished party leaders" who will remain unbound and need not be elected officials. Again, assuming these token changes are implemented.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

Bottom line is that the superdelegates will retain their power to decide any reasonably close primary as they see fit. That's if the party actually decides to actually make the recommended changes.

It's not all non-electric superdelegates either, it doesn't include the "distinguished party leaders" who will remain unbound. Again, assuming these token changes are implemented.

there are only 20 distinguished party leaders. basically we'd have gone from 712 unbound to 279 if it were implemented in 2016. 279 out of 4,707. while the preference is to eliminate superdelegates entirely, the chances of 279 delegates overturning a delegate majority is exceedingly small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Super disappointed the Pot talk didn't have someone screaming about HEMP! much like THORIUM!

Textiles is a huge business.

• Locked thread