Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

fridge corn posted:

FFXV is bad because it's a mess of a rushed half-of-a-game with terrible characters, terrible writing, a wonky battle system, and an open world that is too small and insanely bland.

So it's a jrpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

My vacuum cleaner broke down a couple days ago and I was browsing for a fairly expensive and quiet model until I somehow wound up looking at video games. Magically ended up spending my paycheck leftovers on Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier Automata, limited editions of both too. I'm sure vacuuming aint even that important when you think about it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Nasgate posted:

So it's a jrpg.

Yea that's it exactly

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

smuh posted:

My vacuum cleaner broke down a couple days ago and I was browsing for a fairly expensive and quiet model until I somehow wound up looking at video games. Magically ended up spending my paycheck leftovers on Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier Automata, limited editions of both too. I'm sure vacuuming aint even that important when you think about it

I hope you like dust poodles bunnies.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 7, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Square-Enix certainly shocked everyone by returning to their JRPG roots with FFXV.

Just think, last year we had a good new Final Fantasy and this year we'll have a good new Dragon Quest. It's like a harmonic convergence festival with bunny ears on.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We'll be lucky if we see DQ 11 this year :/

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

bloodychill posted:

oddium, I suggest giving Fez a try if you ever have a chance, despite Phil Fish's rightly earned reputation for being a dolt. It has a few decent cryptography puzzles in addition to a great soundtrack.

I played Fez years ago but I remember it having this weird mix of like, mostly fairly standard platforming-based puzzles that built steadily on the core mechanic of rotating the world, and then a bunch of very weird and abstract puzzles that were very difficult to wrap your head around; and not really any middle ground between those two puzzle types to sorta ease you into the more esoteric stuff.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Red Bones posted:

I played Fez years ago but I remember it having this weird mix of like, mostly fairly standard platforming-based puzzles that built steadily on the core mechanic of rotating the world, and then a bunch of very weird and abstract puzzles that were very difficult to wrap your head around; and not really any middle ground between those two puzzle types to sorta ease you into the more esoteric stuff.

Yeah this is pretty much the Fez Experience. When I played it my roommate kept talking about how awesome it is, but he's really into solving puzzles like that. I didn't have as much patience for it so I had fun doing the "easy" puzzles and just cheated with a guide for the real cryptic ones.

Also the music is just :discourse: goddamn. One of the best electronic game soundtracks this side of Tetrisphere.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

Isn't it definitely coming out in Japan this year though? So my point stands as technically correct :colbert:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I really hope the west gets DQ11. I know the reason DQ10 didn't come out here is because it's an MMO and not because we're not going to get more Dragon Quest games but I'm gonna expect the worst until we have an actual date

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I really just want a digital list of games that I own but haven't beaten or want to replay, so I can just pull it up and see "Oh, I never beat Metroid Prime" and able to pull it up on my phone or computer without digging through my closet. Ratings or recommendations would just help me prioritize what I play.

Backloggery is this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

I really hope the west gets DQ11. I know the reason DQ10 didn't come out here is because it's an MMO and not because we're not going to get more Dragon Quest games but I'm gonna expect the worst until we have an actual date

Between DQ Heroes and Builders and DQ 7/8 all getting released in the West in the last two years I would eat my own rear end if DQ11 didnt come out here.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

smuh posted:

The feeling of freshly vacuumed carpet beneath your toes...not to be underestimated imo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

Between DQ Heroes and Builders and DQ 7/8 all getting released in the West in the last two years I would eat my own rear end if DQ11 didnt come out here.

Also the PS4's massive install base means it's real dumb to not translate an existing project, the cost of opportunity vs. the potential reward should look a lot better to their shareholders than "Let's finance another dead IP and cross our fingers"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

Backloggery is this

I started messing with this and another called Grouvee, I'll see which one I prefer with time.

Thanks, guys.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll be getting the Switch version

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

I'll be getting the Switch version

DQ11? Honestly I'll probably get both the PS4 and 3DS versions, assuming we get them. The 3DS version is the only one I'm in doubt about the US getting, and even then I'd say it's like 90% probably we'll get it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really don't like boss fights where the boss is invulnerable most of the time

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really don't like boss fights where the boss is invulnerable most of the time

Which game?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

Which game?

I'm on the boss fight of Gears of War now, but it's a thing I've thought before

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bosses you have to put some work into enabling chipping away at their health bar are OK, bosses whose vulnerability periods are under the game's control and unpredictable are bad.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm struggling with that right now as well with the final boss of Oath in Felghana, which is doubly annoying because even if you can successfully dodge all his patterns it's pure Rng on whether or not the specific circumstances will allow you to get hits in the second phase.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sunning posted:

A Bomberman game by Konami is on the top ten sales charts.

Hate this world.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's incredible that they managed to gently caress up a bomberman game and then sell it for 50 dollars.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

It's incredible that they managed to gently caress up a bomberman game and then sell it for 50 dollars.

How do you gently caress up a Bomberman game in the first place? Just make new levels for Super Bomberman and you're done.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

For some asinine reason they decided that it would be fun if you had to play a bomberman game with a zoomed in and canted camera angle so you could never actually see the entire level

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Why would you ever do that :negative:

And here I was all excited for a new cool Bomberman game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The graphics look like rear end somehow, when it should be easy to crank out decent looking assets for a Bomberman game.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Harrow posted:

How do you gently caress up a Bomberman game in the first place?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

haveblue posted:

Bosses you have to put some work into enabling chipping away at their health bar are OK, bosses whose vulnerability periods are under the game's control and unpredictable are bad.

Yeah, if you have to do something to make the boss drop it's invulnerability, that's fine. Because you're actually doing something in the fight. But if nothing you do effects it, and you're just waiting or dodging attacks until the next vulnerable moment, that's terrible and I hate it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Franchescanado posted:

I really just want a digital list of games that I own but haven't beaten or want to replay, so I can just pull it up and see "Oh, I never beat Metroid Prime" and able to pull it up on my phone or computer without digging through my closet. Ratings or recommendations would just help me prioritize what I play.

Backloggery is good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DqamBDReBo&t=184s
(3:00 in)

How the hell does anyone get 100% on this song, look at this. How did they look at that and go "yeah, that's a fun challenge"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Harrow posted:

How do you gently caress up a Bomberman game in the first place?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You need those nipple bolts or else the dummy falls apart

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am positive I have mode this exact post in the games chat thread before but jesus christ gently caress Raining Blood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkFaPbYKymc

This song is so overcharted that when it appeared in Guitar Hero Smash Hits they made the final note of the song use all 5 buttons on the controller.

Yes, really.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 7, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_yZdbfB3x4

They like the video game. :)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnStC6sRmiQ

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oh, so that's why I've heard people complain about this island in Zelda.

Glad to find out it stopped autosaving oh... after I died and lost an hour or two of progress, that was cool.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nier is really flipping good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

I am positive I have mode this exact post in the games chat thread before but jesus christ gently caress Raining Blood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkFaPbYKymc

This song is so overcharted that when it appeared in Guitar Hero Smash Hits they made the final note of the song use all 5 buttons on the controller.

Yes, really.

This is why I don't play on Expert, or almost never. Overcharting bugs the poo poo out of me, especially since I actually play guitar. Things like charting chords as three rapid strums on one button? What even is that?

• Locked thread