Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well, at least his videos show he's filmed a 1 year update on the tank and it looks fine...

oh. and a bunch of videos about guns and 'those SJWs' welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Poisonlizard posted:

Structural (All Purpose) Silicone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkLzqZzjJ8U

Was really hoping for a follow up vid on how his house suddenly had 200 gallons of water on the floor a couple months later. I'm sure it's coming.

Here's his six month followup.

[video type="youtube"]/watch?annotation_id=annotation_1728382965&feature=iv&src_vid=ZkLzqZzjJ8U&v=IM6VAYV-VJM[/video]

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Collateral Damage posted:

Is it called a Hope Shelf because that's what's holding it together?

That's what the shelves attempt to spell out, but there's some question about the fusion of 'P' and 'E' in my mind.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hop Shelf. For your collection of IPAs.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
actually plywood tanks are a thing. its usually done when you cant afford proper glass for a legit huge tank. Most legit massive glass or acrylic tanks are also held together primarily with structural bracing and silicone :eng101:

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/building-a-1700-gallon-shark-tank-by-black-tip.45035/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

In the suburbs of D.C., yeah. There's a ton of planned communities in the western D.C. Suburbs that sprung up in the 50s/60s/70s with cookie cutter single family homes (around 1200-1600sft) on .25 acre lots. Flash forward to today, rich people buy up grandmas house (or better yet, grandmas house and the lot next door) when she kicks the bucket, bulldoze the house, and build a 2 or 3 story monstrosity that sticks out like a sore thumb and has 4' of clearance on three sides between the outside walls and the property line. Or grandma was lucky enough to have a house on a 1 acre lot, in which case a developer buys it and builds 4 mini McMansions on .25 acre lots after mowing all the trees down. Or grandma had a farm which is now being turned into "Beechwood Hills: New Single Family Homes Starting From $1.2 Million!"

This poo poo's happening everywhere. In Des Moines, the middle of loving flyover country, developers are buying up all the farmland close to town to do this with while the east and south sides of the city proper are full of 1910's-1920's houses that are falling apart because people will spend 225k on a lowest-bidder McMansion rather than 175k a nice house in a developed neighborhood that might need a couple grand in updates.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Bud K ninja sword posted:

actually plywood tanks are a thing. its usually done when you cant afford proper glass for a legit huge tank. Most legit massive glass or acrylic tanks are also held together primarily with structural bracing and silicone :eng101:

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/building-a-1700-gallon-shark-tank-by-black-tip.45035/

This is terrifying and a horrible use of square footage and probably added negative value to the home overall, but that is so loving cool

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

couldcareless posted:

This is terrifying and a horrible use of square footage and probably added negative value to the home overall, but that is so loving cool

in addition most people dont really plan for hey how do i mitigate the humidity of having several tons of circulating water in my house?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

in addition most people dont really plan for hey how do i mitigate the humidity of having several tons of circulating water in my house?

He does actually address​ that towards the end. He finished his basement with greenboard and installed oversized air exchangers and fans.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Suspect Bucket posted:

He does actually address​ that towards the end. He finished his basement with greenboard and installed oversized air exchangers and fans.

I put that guy as a positive example...that dude spent some time, thought and money. most plywood tank builders go for big without understanding basic poo poo like water moves, its heavy and changes state based on the weather.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

them's some weird grounding issues

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://betterdwelling.com/vacant-homes-global-epidemic-paris-fighting-60-tax/#_

Paris is trying by pushing up vacant property tax to 60% of rent.

That's clever and I will be interested to see the long term effects, if the tax lasts that long.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Qwijib0 posted:

I realize that kid caused a bunch of damage, but it seems kind of crazy that he's being charged with arson? Surely there is a matter of intent involved, it doesn't sound like he really had any idea what he was doing could create fires in nearby buildings. Also, he's 10.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Gotta start building that criminal record so they can justify gunning him down before he turns 18.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Ashcans posted:

I realize that kid caused a bunch of damage, but it seems kind of crazy that he's being charged with arson? Surely there is a matter of intent involved, it doesn't sound like he really had any idea what he was doing could create fires in nearby buildings. Also, he's 10.

Maybe they just misspelled it and left off the second word: "arsin' around"

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
Why is that apartment building only protected by a 12 gauge ground that runs open outside?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Liquid Communism posted:

This poo poo's happening everywhere. In Des Moines, the middle of loving flyover country, developers are buying up all the farmland close to town to do this with while the east and south sides of the city proper are full of 1910's-1920's houses that are falling apart because people will spend 225k on a lowest-bidder McMansion rather than 175k a nice house in a developed neighborhood that might need a couple grand in updates.

Thankfully, the thing to do here is buy all the old victorians, craftsman, spanish, and mid-century modern houses here, often in kind of disrepair and restore them to their former glory.
Or at least attempt to, they seem to get rebuilt so fast there has to be some terrible stuff going on.

Speaking of what I think is crappy, my uncle is rebuilding his 20s duplex (he lives in the top), which is a pretty cool spanish style structure. He's doing a lot of good things, replacing all the knob and tube stuff, redoing the plumbing and wood work (he is one of the best wood turners in the country and did the turnings for the state capitol when they restored it), but he is replacing all the lathe and plaster walls with drywall. I know that makes all the rewiring easier, but drat do I hate drywall in an older house.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Qwijib0 posted:

That's what I was thinking. Shouldn't a lack of a mains ground cause no damage in otherwise to-code wiring?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
As promised, here is the absolute dog-poo poo remodel job the previous owner did in my bathroom.

When we were negotiating price, he actually tried to use the remodeled bathroom as a positive and as a reason for his higher-than-average asking price. We were able to knock the price down after we pointed out he did a terrible job and we'd basically have to spend a bunch of money to redo it ourselves.

We probably would have remodeled it last summer, but massive winds completely destroyed our fence, which we knew was failing, but the home inspector and us thought we could get a couple more years out of. Guess we were wrong.

Sorry in advance that my bathroom is dirty, after I looked at the photos I went and cleaned it.

Imgur album:
http://imgur.com/a/AguyZ

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

DrBouvenstein posted:

As promised, here is the absolute dog-poo poo remodel job the previous owner did in my bathroom.

When we were negotiating price, he actually tried to use the remodeled bathroom as a positive and as a reason for his higher-than-average asking price. We were able to knock the price down after we pointed out he did a terrible job and we'd basically have to spend a bunch of money to redo it ourselves.

We probably would have remodeled it last summer, but massive winds completely destroyed our fence, which we knew was failing, but the home inspector and us thought we could get a couple more years out of. Guess we were wrong.

Sorry in advance that my bathroom is dirty, after I looked at the photos I went and cleaned it.

Imgur album:

Dear god, that looks like I'd done it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Imgur album:

I love learning from other people's mistakes

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

That's pretty cool.

Gonna be pretty messy in five or ten years when those boys and their friends put a football through the glass.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

That's pretty cool.

Gonna be pretty messy in five or ten years when those boys and their friends put a football through the glass.

Don't aquariums usually use something stronger than actual glass specifically for that kind of reason? Thick acrylic sheet or something?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Oh, yeah I'd bet it does. I'm just saying teenage boys are loving dangerous. They'd better cover the front with 2 inch thick steel plate until the youngest one is a sophomore at least.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Brute Squad posted:

That's what I was thinking. Shouldn't a lack of a mains ground cause no damage in otherwise to-code wiring?

Mains ground and neutral are connected together. It would take a very specific set of loose connections for all the power to travel not back to the power company and down that wire instead, but it could happen.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Don't aquariums usually use something stronger than actual glass specifically for that kind of reason? Thick acrylic sheet or something?

Acrylic is a cheaper stronger option but it doesnt look as good it scratches easily and kind of sucks. The best poo poo is whats called Starphire glass, but it aint cheap. the bigger your tank the thicker the walls have to be and with thousands of gallons glass starts at around 1/2" thick for over 700 gallons

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can generally slam your open hand against a sheet of glass like that and be OK. It's a sharp point impact that shatters it.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Dude in there said he used a thickass piece of acrylic.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GenericOverusedName posted:

Dude in there said he used a thickass piece of acrylic.

hope he likes scuba diving trying to buff scratches out :shrug:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

There is literally a picture of him diving in the tank so I am going to guess he is ok.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like glass, but I’m going to guess that acrylic is cheaper on something that size.

When you get to the size of aquarium people pay admission to, it’s back to glass.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Platystemon posted:

I like glass, but I’m going to guess that acrylic is cheaper on something that size.

When you get to the size of aquarium people pay admission to, it’s back to glass.

No it isn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly(methyl_methacrylate)#Uses posted:

PMMA acrylic glass is commonly used for constructing residential and commercial aquariums. Designers started building big aquariums when poly(methyl methacrylate) could be used. It is less-used in other building types due to incidents such as the Summerland disaster.
Acrylic is used for viewing ports and even complete pressure hulls of submersibles, such as the Alicia submarine's viewing sphere and the window of the bathyscaphe Trieste.

See also: Sea World, Monterey Bay, and more.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

toplitzin posted:

summerland disaster
Well this seems worth a post in this thread!

Wikipedia posted:

Summerland [Leisure Center] was opened on 25 May 1971. It was a climate-controlled building covering 3.5 acres on Douglas's [Isle of Man] waterfront, consisting of 50,000 sq ft of floor area at a cost of £2 million. The building's hull and the interior were designed by two different architects—they did not match their planning to each other and thereby created a venue with significant fire risks that were only to become apparent later.

The fire started around 7:30 p.m. on 2 August 1973, and was caused by three boys who were smoking in a small, disused kiosk adjacent to the centre's miniature golf course. Eventually the burning kiosk collapsed against the exterior of the building. This part of the building was clad in a material called Galbestos—profiled steel sheeting with asbestos felt on both sides coated with bitumen, with limited fire-resistance qualities. The fire spread to the wall's interior soundproofing material, which also had poor fire-resistance qualities, causing an explosion that ignited the highly flammable acrylic sheeting which covered the rest of the building. The fire spread quickly across the sheeting on the leisure centre walls and roof, and through vents which were not properly fireproofed. The acrylic melted, which allowed more oxygen to enter and dropped burning melted material, both starting other fires and injuring those trying to escape. The building's open-plan design included many unblocked internal spaces that acted as chimneys, adding to the conflagration.

There was no attempt to evacuate the 3,000 people present until the visible evidence of the flames prompted a panic-stricken mass rush for the exits, where many people were crushed and trampled. Because of the locked fire doors, many people headed to the main entrance, which caused a crush.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

quote:

locked fire doors
The fire services were not called for over twenty minutes, and even then the call did not originate from the centre. Instead the first call came from a passing taxi driver and another via the captain of a ship located 2 miles (3.2 km) out at sea who radioed HM Coastguard and said "It looks as if the whole of the Isle of Man is on fire".

How do you let a fire get so bad, you can see it from 2 miles away?

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

Mains ground and neutral are connected together. It would take a very specific set of loose connections for all the power to travel not back to the power company and down that wire instead, but it could happen.

In which case the boy would have completed the circuit when he ripped out the ground. The only way this could have started is by power jumping the gap to something that's not supposed to take current, while the neutral was poorly/un-connected, and the ground was only conducting enough to spark, but not to shock someone. In which case the fault should lie on whichever meathead was working on the wiring last. Unless they can prove the kid knew that what he was doing would cause something inside to start a fire, how is this arson, instead of just a kid being ignorant of the construction trade?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

One Legged Ninja posted:

In which case the boy would have completed the circuit when he ripped out the ground. The only way this could have started is by power jumping the gap to something that's not supposed to take current, while the neutral was poorly/un-connected, and the ground was only conducting enough to spark, but not to shock someone. In which case the fault should lie on whichever meathead was working on the wiring last. Unless they can prove the kid knew that what he was doing would cause something inside to start a fire, how is this arson, instead of just a kid being ignorant of the construction trade?

Yeah there's definitely some bad wiring here. That kid must have a guardian angel working overtime, because he could have very easily died.

I'd love to see how to DA argues that a kid playing jump rope equals arson.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kid sinister posted:

You can see a lit candle from 2 miles away, dude

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

kid sinister posted:

the ocean is really, really empty and really, really dark.

Also lol "This part of the building was clad in a material called Galbestos—profiled steel sheeting with asbestos felt on both sides coated with bitumen". Who comes UP with this poo poo. Let's take a material that has literally one redeeming quality, its resistance to flame, and COAT IT IN OIL.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

kid sinister posted:

locked fire doors
I feel that intentionally blocking fire exits should be treated as first degree murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Collateral Damage posted:

I feel that intentionally blocking fire exits should be treated as first degree murder.

If people responsible for setting policies that result in deaths were held responsible for their actions this would be an attack on are economy.