Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
This is fun as hell. I approve of slappy jujitsu! In small portions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Bubba Smith posted:

combat jiu jitsu is sillier than I had imagined, and I imagined it to look pretty drat silly

Once a legal video is up, please God post it.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Bubba Smith posted:

combat jiu jitsu is sillier than I had imagined, and I imagined it to look pretty drat silly

drat silly.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I'm not sure if I would want to watch a 16-man slappy jiu-jitsu tournament, but I approve of it in small doses, this is funny.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
What's preventing someone from bas ruttening their way through this tournament

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
so far, slaps to the face have done nothing once actual jiu jitsu started. there was about 30 seconds where a man was furiously slapping the thigh of another man while in half guard. since that it's been a normal jiu jitsu match

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
The little smacks :lol:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

They have a cool penalty in the rules for this crazy thing by the way, if you throw an illegal strike. (illegal strike = slap while both are standing, or a kick, elbow, knee, or punch at any time) If its intentional its a DQ, but if its somehow unintentional, the penalty is that the referee lets your opponent take your back. Thats such a big penalty, that the competitors are heavily incentivized to only slap and only when legal.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Seltzer posted:

What's preventing someone from bas ruttening their way through this tournament

You can't slap when both are standing. The strikes are only legal when at least one fighter is grounded. (you can slap a grounded fighter while standing)

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bubba Smith posted:

so far, slaps to the face have done nothing once actual jiu jitsu started. there was about 30 seconds where a man was furiously slapping the thigh of another man while in half guard. since that it's been a normal jiu jitsu match

I do think they do something in that fighters are not going to allow themselves to get into positions that make sense only when strikes are not legal. There are many things in EBI that you don't want to do in MMA when striking is legal. The idea here is to keep the jiu-jitsu honest while not actually doing full striking.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I foresee confusion between slaps and tapping

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dave Grool posted:

I foresee confusion between slaps and tapping

If I'm the ref, I think in the locker room I'll tell them that I want to hear a verbal tapout. Or, you can tap the mat.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I'm watching late so sorry for the late comments on the fighters but it's kinda insane how many upsets there have been. both of Eddie's guys getting tapped in the first round. The finalist of the last EBI with Gordon Ryan too and Taza too.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

here we go, the 2nd of 3 slappy jiu-jitsu fights about to start

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This 2nd match is great, this is what Eddie Bravo was probably envisioning, it looks a lot different when mount is a very bad position, the fighter on bottom is a lot more concerned about open hand strikes whereas in a match with no strikes, the fighter on bottom would give no fucks and keep looking for subs.

edit: and a fighter just used slaps to get out of a leg lock, this is great

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Rigel posted:

edit: and a fighter just used slaps to get out of a leg lock, this is great

I think the other guy thought it was a tap. One open hand strike to the leg sure is like a tap.

But, yeah this is entertaining, maybe more so to fans that don't do jujitsu?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
I was rooting for the Twister.

RIP Bill Paxton

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Here we are, we've reached the slappy jiu-jitsu championship bout

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
that was cool

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

cool. EBI 12 will be in July, and it will be a female flyweight tournament.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
drat, the king finishing with a rear face choke. Taste of your own medicine and all that.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Was really hoping the Aussie could make it to the finals. His promo was amazing and I actually reached out to him because of it. I thought it was a great tournament overall, even with slappy jits

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Was avoiding the thread until I finished watching, man I love EBI. I think I'd probably watch one every two weeks.

Odddzy posted:

out of all the matches seen on this EBI the douchiness factor is pretty large. What with headbutts, attacking with unrefined cranks on Taza's injured knee and complaining about eyepokes afterwards. It's kinda frustrating.

Having witnessed his act on the regional circuit, I can say tonight was not at all out of character.

I'm saddened that goons didn't like the CJJ, I thought it was pretty entertaining.

Guy I didn't know much about that I became a fan of: Craig Jones, really liked his style. Did they ever figure out what the deal was with what sounded like "time" getting called and him letting go of that armbar, just some drunk dude in the crowd or something?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I dropped in at Craig Jones' gym just last Friday while travelling, but hadn't heard of him. One of the students there was saying "You'll hear about him very soon"

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I didn't mind the CJJ myself, I thought it was interesting enough to see some stuff getting shut down much faster because of the strikes. Didn't really like the first combat where the guy was really using his palms to strike instead of the hand but whatever. Matches were very frantic in spots and it's interesting to study if you're coming from a self defence perspective. It'll never be big though and should only be a small part of the EBI in it's current form.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Odddzy posted:

It'll never be big though and should only be a small part of the EBI in it's current form.

Yeah, I actually thought it worked well as a 4 man tournament within the main event. I think its more exciting than the kid's matches, even though those did have some drat good bjj at times.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Kekekela posted:

Yeah, I actually thought it worked well as a 4 man tournament within the main event. I think its more exciting than the kid's matches, even though those did have some drat good bjj at times.

yeah, kids matches were great. I just remember one kid girl being kind of a bipolar rear end in a top hat with punches to the other girl and stuff but she was the exception to very technical and respectful matches.

Back when they announced and cancelled the EBI women only tournament last year I wasn't really down with it as I really wanted to see more of the Renzo guys work but I dunno, I've kind of got fatigued watching the other guys fighting for seconds and third places and would welcome some fresh new people. maybe it's because of all the upsets of tonight or something but i'm looking forwards to that Women only EBI coming up now.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Odddzy posted:

I just remember one kid girl being kind of a bipolar rear end in a top hat with punches to the other girl and stuff but she was the exception to very technical and respectful matches.

She made it all good by throwing 1000 shakas immediately afterwards as penance.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I left EBI paused after the 2nd slapjitsu match last night to go to bed, but then Danaher spoiled the ending for me today on Facebook.

:qq:

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Okie State won 8 of 10 weight classes at Big 12s. Kaid Brock lost a decision 9-7 at 133 and Chandler Rogers lost 5-4 at 165 or they would have run the table.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

ch3cooh posted:

Okie State won 8 of 10 weight classes at Big 12s. Kaid Brock lost a decision 9-7 at 133 and Chandler Rogers lost 5-4 at 165 or they would have run the table.

Is that normal? Like, whats the usual split?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I really dig all the rash guard suggestions and have them bookmarked. But I wasn't quite ready to get a "proper" (expensive) set and decided to get something that I could review after a few weeks. I still have some lingering paranoia that I could end up unable to do BJJ long term, but once I get in a solid groove as I plan to do I'll invest in a good pair.

I got neon green XLs in the guard and pants.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J99MTC4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
My recommendation to you is not to invest in anything expensive rashguard and spats wise, the cheaper the better, on account of the fact rashguards have textiles that smell real bad and can't get out of the fabric if left too long without getting put in the washer. Because of thath you'll probably have to throw out of rotation a few rashguards each year unless you're really diligent about washing them straight when you get back from training.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Holy God rash guards are amazing and I'll never roll again without them. Now I actually get the "magic grapple pants" thing.

Also, my gym had a blue belt who I've never seen before that weights over three hundred pounds. He did some drills with me, and there was a lot of knuckle drags across my face. It actually split the inside of my lip. Did I discover the gym rear end in a top hat?

I rolled with him afterwards and got tapped but it was almost because I thought this motherfucker was going to kill me trying to get an arm bar or something. I'm 100% down with pain, but avoiding injury has been a part of my athletic game since I was in my teens.

My grapple outfit is green and I feel like Charlie in Always Sunny. It's magical.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Avoid the fat 300 pounder that split your lip if you want to avoid injury.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Odddzy posted:

Avoid the fat 300 pounder that split your lip if you want to avoid injury.

You are right. But I am stupid at times and sought him out to roll first once that part of class started. I have no offense to present with this guy but my ability to not die and grip things like a crab. This led to him cranking the gently caress out of my bad shoulder and apologizing afterwards.

I told him no worries and I meant it. But buddy, I'm only going to get better, so enjoy it while you can.

(When he got in side control during the rolling I tied him up for a few minutes. I keep my eyes closed when engaged in rolling and could sense his frustration. I opened my eyes and got an excellent look behind his ear for about half a minute. Clean your ears, folks. Seriously, I think things were living in that crust.)

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Captain Log posted:

(When he got in side control during the rolling I tied him up for a few minutes. I keep my eyes closed when engaged in rolling and could sense his frustration. I opened my eyes and got an excellent look behind his ear for about half a minute. Clean your ears, folks. Seriously, I think things were living in that crust.)

WTF? Definitely avoid this guy.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
You make some weird decisions.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Just for the record latching onto a guy from bottom side control as hard as you can and not moving for several minutes is kind of annoying and not a good way for either of you to get better. when guys do that I have no problem cross facing them or putting jaw pressure on to make them uncomfortable enough to let go, which is seen by some as a 'dick move' but is kind of the corollary to "guy on the bottom clinging to you and refusing to let go"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

manyak posted:

Just for the record latching onto a guy from bottom side control as hard as you can and not moving for several minutes is kind of annoying and not a good way for either of you to get better. when guys do that I have no problem cross facing them or putting jaw pressure on to make them uncomfortable enough to let go, which is seen by some as a 'dick move' but is kind of the corollary to "guy on the bottom clinging to you and refusing to let go"

Thanks for this - my bottom "game" is pretty non-existent when grappling someone significantly heavier than me. I like to hear that I could have contributed.

His demeanor (didn't introduce himself, cranked hard, having a loving blue belt with stripes) was what made me ask the question. My first few months are going to be more about conditioning and learning how to move than winning. But working bridge escapes on someone 100 pounds heavier who isn't playing along? gently caress.

Last night was eye opening in a good way. All my previous sports have built off each other. This, even though it's a combat sport, is so different when it comes to muscle memory.