Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

stevewm posted:

I don't want to see or hear anything more about credit cards, ever again...

For the past week, been working on converting our retail stores over to a new credit card platform so we can accept EMV, contactless, etc.. We have been burned several times due to the liability shift, so it was made priority to make the switch ASAP.

Some issues have cropped up at our test store. So I've spent several days running register and ringing customers out so I can see the issues myself that were coming up and figure out how to solve them or report them to the developer. Its been "fun". What has surprised me (though it shouldn't have I guess) is how many times problems are the fault of the customer. A huge amount of people simply don't know how to handle EMV cards yet. I thought our new system was simple... Put the card in, pick debit or credit when asked, enter PIN# or sign when prompted. Remove card when prompted. About every other customer gets a look of dread on their face when you tell them they have to insert their card.

A few seem to have an irrational fear of EMV cards. Had more than one customer pay with cash when they realized they had to use their chip.

People are strange....

Oh, you're introducing PIN credit cards in US now? When I visited US I got retailers that had no idea how to use a PIN CC. Their system accepted the cards but they just put it in then take it out (not giving the terminal to me to put the PIN in) and then wonder that the transaction got declined. But it is much simpler to just swipe and sign the drat receipt. Wireless is even easier for small (under $100) transactions.
And since it provides no benefit to the customer (the PIN), no wonder people are reluctant to use it when what they had before was working just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Volguus posted:

And since it provides no benefit to the customer (the PIN),

Uh....

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Volguus posted:

Oh, you're introducing PIN credit cards in US now? When I visited US I got retailers that had no idea how to use a PIN CC. Their system accepted the cards but they just put it in then take it out (not giving the terminal to me to put the PIN in) and then wonder that the transaction got declined. But it is much simpler to just swipe and sign the drat receipt. Wireless is even easier for small (under $100) transactions.
And since it provides no benefit to the customer (the PIN), no wonder people are reluctant to use it when what they had before was working just fine.

I ran into the opposite problem when traveling in Europe a couple years ago. Plenty of people didn't know what to do when my card didn't ask for a pin and their machine spat out an extra piece of paper.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Contactless payment in a pub is dangerous, let me tell you

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

I agree. The only solution is to not step inside a pub.

What is the advantage to the consumer of having a PIN to the credit card? The money is not theirs, not until they pay the bill .The card gets stolen, they get the charges reversed. I can see how it helps Visa, the merchants and the payment providers, but the consumer? And please, don't say it helps lowering transaction fees, cause' those are now in the stratosphere.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

By helping the card companies avoid malicious use, the card companies burn less on those types of issues and the savings are passed on to you (lol)

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

RFC2324 posted:

Didn't MS stop supporting Silverlight quite a while back?

EOL in 2012, yes. Still gets patches for a while yet but 0 development.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

It is still supported on IE11 until 2020 (I think it's 2020 maybe 2021 or something), so while they are not actively developing it, you can still get support for it and it should theoretically still work.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Volguus posted:

What is the advantage to the consumer of having a PIN to the credit card? The money is not theirs, not until they pay the bill .The card gets stolen, they get the charges reversed. I can see how it helps Visa, the merchants and the payment providers, but the consumer? And please, don't say it helps lowering transaction fees, cause' those are now in the stratosphere.

Getting your card cloned is still a massive pain the arse, even if you aren't eventually liable for the charges

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

My bank used to give me 2% cash back on contactless payments.

I must admit, it felt like I was being paid to drink. :guinness:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Volguus posted:

I agree. The only solution is to not step inside a pub.

gently caress transaction fees, it's all about the speed and not having to hand cards between people.

From the service side: most people don't carry pens, but are more than happy to take them, and I don't want to touch your drat card.

From the customer side: I keep control of my card, I don't need to flip my card around to align with the stripe reader, chips don't wear out as quickly, so fewer replacement cards where I need to swing by the bank, 4 digits is faster than signing even without the pen hunt. Why would I ever want to sign for a purchase? It's a terrible system. And if you meant chip and sig, lol, that's only in the US because Americans couldn't be trusted to remember 4 numbers. In Canada it's always been chip and pin.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Attempting to explain asynchronous routing to a somewhat IT person (PBX guy). Pretty sure the deer in headlights look he had meant he didn't understand anything. Hopefully he has someone he can ask about it, because his poo poo is hosed and it's not my problem (except it is because client is pisssssssed but I don't have access to his poo poo)

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
It was mildly amusing to go to the US last year and realise we would be teaching some shop assistants how to use their chip and pin machines when they didn't know what was going on with our cards :D

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

stevewm posted:

I don't want to see or hear anything more about credit cards, ever again...

For the past week, been working on converting our retail stores over to a new credit card platform so we can accept EMV, contactless, etc.. We have been burned several times due to the liability shift, so it was made priority to make the switch ASAP.

Some issues have cropped up at our test store. So I've spent several days running register and ringing customers out so I can see the issues myself that were coming up and figure out how to solve them or report them to the developer. Its been "fun". What has surprised me (though it shouldn't have I guess) is how many times problems are the fault of the customer. A huge amount of people simply don't know how to handle EMV cards yet. I thought our new system was simple... Put the card in, pick debit or credit when asked, enter PIN# or sign when prompted. Remove card when prompted. About every other customer gets a look of dread on their face when you tell them they have to insert their card.

A few seem to have an irrational fear of EMV cards. Had more than one customer pay with cash when they realized they had to use their chip.

People are strange....

Is this in the US I take it? When I went there last year, in Hawaii I paid for a Starbucks with contactless payment. The guy working the till looked all confused and said "Wait... did you just.... pay?" and I had to explain it to him when the receipt spat out that yes this is infact how you can buy poo poo. Its weird how all the infrastructure is there and they can take the payments but apparently nobody ever, ever does. A coffee shop is the perfect low value quick turnaround thing where you want a contactless payment.

Thanks Ants posted:

Mine seems to have some kind of built in alcohol meter safety thing or something. When i get to 10ish payments in a day, the contactless stops working and forces you to chip and pin once before contactless comes back to life again, which conveniently makes you stop and try to remember your PIN when you are somewhere around "im totally pissed" and can save you from reaching "absolutely poo poo-tittered, why is all this kebab down my shirt"

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 8, 2017

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Ahdinko posted:

Is this in the US I take it? When I went there last year, in Hawaii I paid for a Starbucks with contactless payment. The guy working the till looked all confused and said "Wait... did you just.... pay?" and I had to explain it to him when the receipt spat out that yes this is infact how you can buy poo poo. Its weird how all the infrastructure is there and they can take the payments but apparently nobody ever, ever does. A coffee shop is the perfect low value quick turnaround thing where you want a contactless payment.

The problem there is that the counter drone never receives even a pamphlet to explain it to them. Here they recently pushed contactless a bit, leading to them asking you to use it, I've even seen some of them asking to hand over the card so they could hold it over the reader. It's really helped with the whole "It doesn't work" when actually you just gotta enter your pin again.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Volguus posted:

I'd rather my bank account not get ganked thanks, it's only a 4 digit PIN that doesn't even register as an inconvenience.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Super Slash posted:

I'd rather my bank account not get ganked thanks, it's only a 4 digit PIN that doesn't even register as an inconvenience.

This is years back. But me and a friend were going through a grocery shop and at the register he put his card in and legit forgot his pin. He stood there for a few minutes trying his best to remember his pin. Naturally 5 mins after leaving the shop, he remembered it.
Contactless would have saved him back then.
This may be just me but I would really love the amazon go shop to be the future for all shops. because every time I go into a grocery shop, I feel like the security person is watching me.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
On the other hand, without contactless there are no issues with people on the bus/train/pub/etc. stealing money from you in $10 increments without your knowledge. Yes you can say "hey not my problem the bank will refund it" but that money is coming from somewhere, there are a whole host of other factors in the equation than "money in my account".

I'm looking forward to fingerprint readers on cards where yes, you can do contactless, but you have to have your card scan and match your fingerprint first before it will complete the transaction, which will defeat a lot of contactless fraud that doesn't involve severing digits.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 8, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Sheep posted:

On the other hand, without contactless there are no issues with people on the bus/train/pub/etc. stealing money from you in $10 increments without your knowledge.

Yes you can say "hey not my problem the bank will refund it" but that money is coming from somewhere, be it ATM/account fees, worse rates, shittier service, or something else. The bank isn't just gonna take a loss and go "lol oh well cost of doing business!"

At least with magstripe duplication they had to physically mess with the reader instead of just standing near you.

For these people to steal money from your card, they will have to have set up a merchant account with the credit card company, so it would be extremely easy for VISA etc to work out who was doing it. And pass on all their details to the cops.

And then VISA simply grabs back the money from them and refunds it to the cardholders.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ahdinko posted:

Is this in the US I take it?

Yep!

The US went for chip and signature, instead of chip and pin. Though I have heard there are a handful of credit card issuers that actually have went the chip and pin route.

Even more confusing, with the new CC pads at our stores, instead of just asking "Credit" or "Debit" as is customary in the US. Our pads show the AIDs (application identifiers) on the chip itself. So if a customer inserts a debit card, they may get asked if they want "DEBIT VISA" or "US DEBIT". for example. The "DEBIT VISA" choice will run the transaction as a credit card via the VISA payment network with a signature, while the "US DEBIT" option will run the payment via one of the Debit/ATM networks asking for a PIN#. Our EMV implementation is the only one I have seen so far that does this, at least in our area.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

spog posted:

For these people to steal money from your card, they will have to have set up a merchant account with the credit card company, so it would be extremely easy for VISA etc to work out who was doing it. And pass on all their details to the cops.

And then VISA simply grabs back the money from them and refunds it to the cardholders.

That's a good point. Still, it's apparently possible to more or less copy contactless cards' details and make fraudulent purchases online, so it seems we've not yet solved the problem with credit cards.

stevewm posted:

Even more confusing, with the new CC pads at our stores, instead of just asking "Credit" or "Debit" as is customary in the US. Our pads show the AIDs (application identifiers) on the chip itself. So if a customer inserts a debit card, they may get asked if they want "DEBIT VISA" or "US DEBIT". for example. The "DEBIT VISA" choice will run the transaction as a credit card via the VISA payment network with a signature, while the "US DEBIT" option will run the payment via one of the Debit/ATM networks asking for a PIN#. Our EMV implementation is the only one I have seen so far that does this, at least in our area.

This confuses me to no end because no two terminals are ever the same.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 8, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Sheep posted:

That's a good point. Still, it's apparently possible to more or less copy contactless cards' details and make fraudulent purchases online, so it seems we've not yet solved the problem with credit cards.

Most online retailers require the CVV code from the back of the card and you can't get that from skimming cards: so I'd say that the problem lies with the online side of things, rather than the card themselves.

EDIT: If it sounds like I am fanboi of contactless, it's more that magstripe and signature is such a stupidly out of date technology that should have been obsoleted once magstripe readers became available to the general public - i.e. about 25 years ago.

spog fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 8, 2017

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Pissing me off today: Dynamics NAV. Again.

I have a repeat customer that wants work done on another unit in another condo. She's already in the system as a contact. Can I do a new Sales Lead Questionnaire under her contact with a different address?

No, because "The value of the Address flow field must be Decimal" is what comes up if Contact Address != Lead Address. :what:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pissing me off: send an email to a user with their ERP credentials on their first day.

Monday: "Please send $idiot_unable_to_read_his_email his login credentials." I resend them.

Today: "$same_idiot needs his credentials or he won't be able to get paid on time!"

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sheep posted:

On the other hand, without contactless there are no issues with people on the bus/train/pub/etc. stealing money from you in $10 increments without your knowledge. Yes you can say "hey not my problem the bank will refund it" but that money is coming from somewhere, there are a whole host of other factors in the equation than "money in my account".

I'm looking forward to fingerprint readers on cards where yes, you can do contactless, but you have to have your card scan and match your fingerprint first before it will complete the transaction, which will defeat a lot of contactless fraud that doesn't involve severing digits.

I love that you worry about a very theoretical attack, but at the same talk about fingerprints as a safe option. You do know fingerprint scanner payments have been exploited very successfully in the wild?

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
Credit card/ debit card stuff in the UK.
Swipe and sign went out years ago. The contactless payment thing is being used more and more but its still limited to low cost stuff. There was a pit of a panic when it first came in. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22545804 . QVC selling wallets and purses that stop your card being read.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

mikemelbrooks posted:

Credit card/ debit card stuff in the UK.
Swipe and sign went out years ago. The contactless payment thing is being used more and more but its still limited to low cost stuff. There was a pit of a panic when it first came in. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22545804 . QVC selling wallets and purses that stop your card being read.

Are you sure it only works low cost? It should be harmonized to swipe without pin for low cost stuff and swipe+pin for everything a bit more expensive.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

spog posted:

Getting your card cloned is still a massive pain the arse, even if you aren't eventually liable for the charges

You cant clone a chip

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

SEKCobra posted:

I love that you worry about a very theoretical attack, but at the same talk about fingerprints as a safe option. You do know fingerprint scanner payments have been exploited very successfully in the wild?

Biometrics are awful for authentication. Most people who advocate for it have never actually given any critical thought to its applications.

lampey posted:

You cant clone a chip

Want to bet?

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6956556/?reload=true

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The head of my BU asked this week if we could just put a new thousand dollar Tripp Lite smart UPS on "something" in the aisle between server racks because they didn't want to pay for an electrician to come out and move an outlet to where the power cord for the UPS could reach it.

:aaa:

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I think it was defcon last year or two years ago they also proved you could capture data from the chip cards from a fair distance away (miles rather than the couple feet that they claim).

Obviously someone else could have shown this before, but that's when I heard about it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MF_James posted:

I think it was defcon last year or two years ago they also proved you could capture data from the chip cards from a fair distance away (miles rather than the couple feet that they claim).

Obviously someone else could have shown this before, but that's when I heard about it.
I'm fairly certain this was about NFC

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
NFC-based payment systems are safer than EMV only because the liability shift towards the consumer doesn't occur.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

quote:

The first flaw is that some EMV implementers have merely used ... home-grown algorithms to supply this nonce.
Another case of don't roll your own crypto?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

anthonypants posted:

I'm fairly certain this was about NFC

Yup you're right, should have fact checked myself!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The most secure option is go back to cash and get a concealed carry license. Also a high quality mattress at home.

Take that, thieves. :smug:

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

SEKCobra posted:

Are you sure it only works low cost? It should be harmonized to swipe without pin for low cost stuff and swipe+pin for everything a bit more expensive.

There is a £30 limit at the moment, but as the cards already have a chip, you would just chip and pin if you wanted to spend more. I can't remember the last time my card was swiped. The £30 limit is seems to be a arbitrary limit, as consumer confidence grows I am sure it will increase, it already has doubled.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ahdinko posted:

There was actually a big push for tap-to-pay in the US a few years back which just as quickly died off, amid a bunch of consumers being paranoid about their stuff being stolen and a bunch of other consumers not understanding or caring to use it. I remember my bank issuing me a new debit card with the tap to pay chip built in one year at the normal time they issue new cards, then having them rush out a replacement without the feature about 18 months later with a slip of paper that just said "because of security reasons the contactless payment feature has been discontinued", more or less.

You still have most of the infrastructure to handle the contactless payment around though, because stores sure ain't going to "upgrade" again to get rid of them when they already paid a bunch of money to get them. And a decent amount of banks still offer it if you ask - but people don't usually ask.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

mikemelbrooks posted:

There is a £30 limit at the moment, but as the cards already have a chip, you would just chip and pin if you wanted to spend more. I can't remember the last time my card was swiped. The £30 limit is seems to be a arbitrary limit, as consumer confidence grows I am sure it will increase, it already has doubled.

We have a 25 € limit, above that you also have to enter the pin. You also have to enter your pin every 5 or so transactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

fishmech posted:

There was actually a big push for tap-to-pay in the US a few years back which just as quickly died off, amid a bunch of consumers being paranoid about their stuff being stolen and a bunch of other consumers not understanding or caring to use it.

It also didn't help that the most advertised option was Google Pay and that it was limited to only Verizon phones.