Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

Thanks for this - my bottom "game" is pretty non-existent when grappling someone significantly heavier than me. I like to hear that I could have contributed.

His demeanor (didn't introduce himself, cranked hard, having a loving blue belt with stripes) was what made me ask the question. My first few months are going to be more about conditioning and learning how to move than winning. But working bridge escapes on someone 100 pounds heavier who isn't playing along? gently caress.

Last night was eye opening in a good way. All my previous sports have built off each other. This, even though it's a combat sport, is so different when it comes to muscle memory.

Coming from guy who's regularly outsized by 100 lbs, sometimes if you end up in that position all you can do is t-rex up and squirm a bit to try to create space for an elbow escape. You're not going to bridge that guy off. Save that energy for when he moves. And since you need him to move if you want to get out, holding him place doesn't help.

Oh that reminds me - a few pages back we were talking about small guys triangling big guys. I did some experimentatino with a guy who is 170 lb bigger than me, and I was able to triangle him tight enough that he couldn't escape, but I wasn't able to stop him from using the smash pass to get out of a not-locked triangle a la that Renzo video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

manyak posted:

Just for the record latching onto a guy from bottom side control as hard as you can and not moving for several minutes is kind of annoying and not a good way for either of you to get better. when guys do that I have no problem cross facing them or putting jaw pressure on to make them uncomfortable enough to let go, which is seen by some as a 'dick move' but is kind of the corollary to "guy on the bottom clinging to you and refusing to let go"

I'll apply some painful type stuff in these situations because I want to make it a situation where they voluntarily move, or I guess can just enjoy the suffering.

BUT I think doing poo poo around the eyes/face is a different category. Even cross facing with heavy pressure, I look for the forehead and the jaw not the nose.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Thanks for this - my bottom "game" is pretty non-existent when grappling someone significantly heavier than me. I like to hear that I could have contributed.

His demeanor (didn't introduce himself, cranked hard, having a loving blue belt with stripes) was what made me ask the question. My first few months are going to be more about conditioning and learning how to move than winning. But working bridge escapes on someone 100 pounds heavier who isn't playing along? gently caress.

Last night was eye opening in a good way. All my previous sports have built off each other. This, even though it's a combat sport, is so different when it comes to muscle memory.

Yeah its not a big deal but youll get better a lot faster if you work your game, such as it is, from those bad positions rather than stalling. Theres no shame in losing in rolling, if you dont like the position youre in (and i know you are coming off injuries etc) just tap out and start again with no ego, better use of your time than clinging to a guy from a losing position until the round ends

Also just in case youre not already doing this, i can see youre enjoying getting back into grappling, when you have these kinds of questions make sure youre running them by your instructor and higher belts/friends at the gym way before you ask people online, its good to build those relationships and get to the know the gym culture since every gym will have different answers about this stuff, also the nature of asking online is most often the people answering your obvious questions are gonna be enthusiastic white/blue belts not experts

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

I'll apply some painful type stuff in these situations because I want to make it a situation where they voluntarily move, or I guess can just enjoy the suffering.

BUT I think doing poo poo around the eyes/face is a different category. Even cross facing with heavy pressure, I look for the forehead and the jaw not the nose.

Yeah me too. Or in the situation where theyre just clinging to you and you havent moved in a while, i really slowly increase the pressure so they know they have a chance to move, which is what you want anyway

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

manyak posted:

Yeah its not a big deal but youll get better a lot faster if you work your game, such as it is, from those bad positions rather than stalling. Theres no shame in losing in rolling, if you dont like the position youre in (and i know you are coming off injuries etc) just tap out and start again with no ego, better use of your time than clinging to a guy from a losing position until the round ends

Also just in case youre not already doing this, i can see youre enjoying getting back into grappling, when you have these kinds of questions make sure youre running them by your instructor and higher belts/friends at the gym way before you ask people online, its good to build those relationships and get to the know the gym culture since every gym will have different answers about this stuff, also the nature of asking online is most often the people answering your obvious questions are gonna be enthusiastic white/blue belts not experts

I'm making relationships at the gym, but in all things I tend to stick to the thought "Ask questions, don't make questions" when learning the basics of something. I ask my rolling partners about things they did and get very helpful responses. But Jesus, I don't want to be that guy who approaches a gym like a University classroom. I did that in 2008 and literally got my rear end kicked, a lot.

I like asking questions here about general consensus type stuff.

Also, I'm always trying my damnedest to not hurt my opponent. I've always been this way. What I'm good at (head in arm chokes) I rarely go for if I outweigh the person because it seems lazy and unfair. I also see chances everywhere for pain chokes and submissions but again, it feels lazy. I've honestly never shot a 100% double leg because I've always felt like it could kill someone.

I thought with Hoss McBigguns he could have tried to work the knee on my belly more or something painful that didn't involve my teeth.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Oh that reminds me - a few pages back we were talking about small guys triangling big guys. I did some experimentatino with a guy who is 170 lb bigger than me, and I was able to triangle him tight enough that he couldn't escape, but I wasn't able to stop him from using the smash pass to get out of a not-locked triangle a la that Renzo video.

Anytime anyone tries to smash pass, I like to basically spin under and grab their near leg and spin back for a pendulum sweep.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

I'm making relationships at the gym, but in all things I tend to stick to the thought "Ask questions, don't make questions" when learning the basics of something. I ask my rolling partners about things they did and get very helpful responses. But Jesus, I don't want to be that guy who approaches a gym like a University classroom. I did that in 2008 and literally got my rear end kicked, a lot.

I like asking questions here about general consensus type stuff.

Also, I'm always trying my damnedest to not hurt my opponent. I've always been this way. What I'm good at (head in arm chokes) I rarely go for if I outweigh the person because it seems lazy and unfair. I also see chances everywhere for pain chokes and submissions but again, it feels lazy. I've honestly never shot a 100% double leg because I've always felt like it could kill someone.

I thought with Hoss McBigguns he could have tried to work the knee on my belly more or something painful that didn't involve my teeth.

Your partners need practice defending them.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

manyak posted:

Just for the record latching onto a guy from bottom side control as hard as you can and not moving for several minutes is kind of annoying and not a good way for either of you to get better. when guys do that I have no problem cross facing them or putting jaw pressure on to make them uncomfortable enough to let go, which is seen by some as a 'dick move' but is kind of the corollary to "guy on the bottom clinging to you and refusing to let go"

I feel the same way if the person underneath knows better, as in understands one or two ways to work to escape the position. There's a contract in place when you roll as far as I'm concerned. If they stop grappling constructively and just try and make you uncomfortable by squeezing the poo poo out of your neck from under side control then I'm going to return the favour from a much stronger position.

Worst is when you're in mount and rather than any kind of meaningful attempt to get half guard or hip/bridge escape from underneath they just stamp on your feet and grind them into the mat. Unlike clinging on from under side control it doesn't even help stall the position. I'll give people the benefit of the doubt a few times, but after that and especially if I have mat burn on my feet I'm sawing into your face with my forearm until it stops.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Odddzy posted:

I checked online but I can't see them well on their website, the pics are kinda small, I just took some MEC branded Tshirts in black that are super light and some other long sleeved rashguard they have in black off the racks in their St Denis Location. To be fair though they were having a sale so I don't know if the price is worth it usually. Online though the ones that were plain colors and seemed to match what i've got had a reasonable price and i'd buy them again if I was in need of a new pair or two.

Saskatoongoon?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Nope, Montreal, but feel free to drop in at our gym if you are in town.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
What brought you to st denis of all places?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Nierbo posted:

What brought you to st denis of all places?

St-Denis street in Montreal, not the town of Saint-Denis!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Odddzy posted:

A good street.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

CommonShore posted:

A good street.

Where do you train at anyways Commonshore? Only goon in montreal I met that did BJJ loved it for a week and then just disappeared off the map.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
st denis aka the darkside

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Odddzy posted:

Where do you train at anyways Commonshore? Only goon in montreal I met that did BJJ loved it for a week and then just disappeared off the map.

I'm in rural Manitoba now :qq:. One of my instructors spent a few years at 10th Planet Montreal. I used to live in Ottawa, but I was boxing while I was there. I just like to visit Montreal.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

CommonShore posted:

I'm in rural Manitoba now :qq:. One of my instructors spent a few years at 10th Planet Montreal. I used to live in Ottawa, but I was boxing while I was there. I just like to visit Montreal.

ah ok, I thought you still lived in montreal, no matter though, if you're ever in town and want to roll a little let me know. Rolling with new people is always fun.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

This is a diversion from the usual technique videos but I think there's some really interesting bits about creating opportunities and technical execution here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rewfWPAcN8A

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Nice, definitely will check that out.

For some technique, I've really been wanting to work on my truck so I've been repping the hell out of 10th planet's D4 warmup: https://www.instagram.com/p/BO3T-_Egaoh/

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just signed up for a BJJ tournament - this Saturday. Our club got late notice of this one, but I'll be in the area with a free day, so gently caress it, :getin:

It will be my first time competing BJJ in the 155-170 division. My usual walkaround weight is 156-158, but I'm not interested in managing my weight anymore.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Odddzy posted:

Oh my god lmao! My bad.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Have you ever snapped a gi pant string and then spent a hour fixing it with a shoe lace and a kabob stick?

I loving missed class because of this. Worst excuse ever.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Okay so good dude Kekekela lead me this way and towards a good gym and I'm wondering if anyone here is around the Daytona Beach area and has a good read of the available gyms. I did BJJ back like uhhh 7-8 years ago for about 6 months. I sucked and was so mentally and physically messy at the time that I stopped but I've missed it since. I'm debating on if I want to give it a go or at least some martial art if I can track down some decent gyms to visit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Worse situation about snapping. While warming up alone for open mats I snapped my loving ankle. I'll post fun pics later.

I'm so angry I could rip a sheet of steel in half.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i remember a hannah barbera cartoon as a kid where there was this character who always had a rain cloud raining directly on him and anything he touched or even just stood near became a dangerous catastrophe

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Marching Powder posted:

i remember a hannah barbera cartoon as a kid where there was this character who always had a rain cloud raining directly on him and anything he touched or even just stood near became a dangerous catastrophe

My fallout luck stat is stuck at one.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
How the hell did you manage that?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Is it not kinda the same as punching someone in the jaw?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kilometers Davis posted:

Okay so good dude Kekekela lead me this way and towards a good gym and I'm wondering if anyone here is around the Daytona Beach area and has a good read of the available gyms. I did BJJ back like uhhh 7-8 years ago for about 6 months. I sucked and was so mentally and physically messy at the time that I stopped but I've missed it since. I'm debating on if I want to give it a go or at least some martial art if I can track down some decent gyms to visit.

I'm quoting this because I want someone to answer this guy's question and it's in danger of getting buried under Captain Log's misadventures.

:rip: Cap. Log.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Judging strictly by websites:
https://www.gracieflorida.com/

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Odddzy posted:

How the hell did you manage that?

Sprinting to warm up. It's happened before. Just fifteen years ago.

CommonShore posted:

I'm quoting this because I want someone to answer this guy's question and it's in danger of getting buried under Captain Log's misadventures.

:rip: Cap. Log.

Word. I'll hush up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

Sprinting to warm up. It's happened before. Just fifteen years ago.

Word. I'll hush up.

I'm not telling you to shut up, I just didn't want the guy's question to get missed along the way.

Is your ankle like... broken broken?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

CommonShore posted:

I'm not telling you to shut up, I just didn't want the guy's question to get missed along the way.

Is your ankle like... broken broken?

How do I post a picture from a phone? I'm not really able to google right now. I could send it to someone. By email

It looks real bad.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

How do I post a picture from a phone? I'm not really able to google right now. I could send it to someone. By email

It looks real bad.

check your pms. I'll post it if you want.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I just almost passed out doing X-rays. Jesus.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

loving Christ! What are your bones made of?

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 10, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus, sorry Captain Log :(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Did you fall while you were sprinting?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Captain Log posted:

When do you start derailing trains and setting fire to hotels to find your opposite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

CommonShore posted:

Did you fall while you were sprinting?

It rolled inwards. I've had this happen three time but between the hearts of fifteen and twenty years old. Imma go pass out in a hospital bed so if I'm posting later I'm high as gently caress.