Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lima
Jun 17, 2012

apropos man posted:

Having gone the AspX, then Python route, I bought an Anaconda just over a week ago and it feels EPIC when you first fly it. I remember thinking "this thing needs quite a bit of module tweaking, but it's gonna be awesome!" as I scraped through the mailbox on my first trip out in it.

I flew it for about a week (until starting this rank grind) and it is really, really, really good. I've upgraded quite a few things although it still probably needs at least 100M more spent on it. I'm also a bit frustrated with having a load of turrets on it due to the slower turning: soon as I start hitting a target my turrets continually fire until my (A class) distributor is drained. It's now sitting in storage because my AspX is more convenient for this grind and the subsequent smuggling naval missions.

So I would recommend the Anaconda, even though I haven't got the best out of it yet.

My only worry is that once I grind up to this Cutter I will stop needing to use the Conda 'cos it's a fricking awesome ship. I'm hoping the Conda will be more my day-to-day mutipurpose ship because of it's excellent jump range, but I don't know because I haven't experienced the Cutter. Yet.

The best thing about the conda is that you get a much better sense of it's size thanks to the position of the bridge. The cutter is a fine ship but you never get a chance to appreciate how enormous it is.

e: Same thing with the clipper. It's impossible to tell how yuge it is compared to a T6.

Lima fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Yeah coming to it from any Medium sized ship, the Anaconda has a totally different feel to it-- especially coming in through the mail slot. I would use it for everything too if it didn't have like a 0.01 degree pitch rate in supercruise. If Frontier made a "Maneuverability" FSD engineer mod that made ships turn 50% faster in supercruise but only gave you half the range boost of the long range mod I'd be sold.

CapnBry posted:

Where are people going to get more regular rank up missions? I probably have two pending now and I like to see the little bar move rather than sit at 100% all the time.
Answering my own question after a bunch of searches in eddb and a dozen station docks, Tsohoda is a high-tech Empire system that is currently in boom. It has 4 Imperial sub-factions there, 2 large station and 1 medium station withing 25 ls from the star. I was able to get Cordial with all 4 factions with a quick round of 4 data delivery missions and was offered naval rank-up missions each time I was in the station (3 times, although one required a board flip).

The only downside is that it is 450ly from Quince, but there aren't all that many imperial-aligned systems you'll pass along the way. We all have 50ly-jumping ships though right? So it is about a 30 minute round trip to rank up which is a nice change of pace after doing 250 planet scan missions. Ugh.

For the record, I am getting 4% of Count rank per 10 Quince missions and do about 80 missions per hour. EDT: And it looks like 3.5% per 10 missions at Earl rank.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 7, 2017

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Efexeye posted:

gently caress, I just logged back in after a few month hiatus to play RimWorld and realize I'm 80 jumps away from Sothis. Is there any fast way there besides 80 jumps and a six pack?

Make sure you aren't set on economical, because that sounds insane. Also, stop by the nearest station and make sure your FSD is A-rated if it isn't already

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Love it. I strip the shields off this sidewinder to fit a vehicle hanger and a cargo rack to it. I push forward on the stick and launch straight up off the launch pad right into the bottom of one of those stupid Orcas or whatever leaving the station all the time. All hell breaks loose.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I've tried playing in Open tonight, in order to take advantage of other people scanning the data. It works, but it's throwing up a hell of a lot of glitches in the client. Presumably, the servers/client is struggling with all the relogging/crashing.

I've got a pretty good PC (i7, SSD, GTX970 etc.) and I've never had to completely reload twice in a night until now.

Going back to Solo/Private mode...

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Holy poo poo an anaconda feels massive. Is there like blueprints for the inside of this thing? This game always has a hard time conveying size. Like I imagine I'm actually flying something the size of the Defiant or something, but the windshield and the "boost!" Always throws that sense of scale off. But every time I've gone through a mail slot I start yelling the same thing my girlfriend always yells at me. :cool:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Holy poo poo an anaconda feels massive. Is there like blueprints for the inside of this thing? This game always has a hard time conveying size. Like I imagine I'm actually flying something the size of the Defiant or something, but the windshield and the "boost!" Always throws that sense of scale off. But every time I've gone through a mail slot I start yelling the same thing my girlfriend always yells at me. :cool:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It is quite big, yes.

It does have damage states where you can see bits of the inside. It seems no one ever screenshots that poo poo though, maybe the new camera will help.

There is some old (pre alpha) footage of them where you can see the tessellated cargo holds quite nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg9k7E4ngFw&t=45s

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

This is one of the better size comparison videos I just found. Nice to know the Asp Explorer is the size of a Boeing 777.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4bEQlVvUvI

Edit: drat, the graphics have sure come a long way from that pre-alpha footage. Also, Elite Dangerous has beat Star Citizen so hard at this game it isn't even funny.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 8, 2017

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I always chuckle wondering what it looks like in an Exploraconda's power plant room with a 3.5T 3A power plant instead of the 160T 8E. It is like the proverbial "hot dog in a hallway" except the hallway is the Highway 99 Tunnel and the hot dog is my dick.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Efexeye posted:

gently caress, I just logged back in after a few month hiatus to play RimWorld and realize I'm 80 jumps away from Sothis. Is there any fast way there besides 80 jumps and a six pack?

If it's been that long, bad news: no reason to go to Sothis any more... :smith:

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Blind Rasputin posted:

Glad you like it. What fooled me at first was that getting out of the mail slot requires you to line the roof up with the top of the slot. There's so much hull underneath the long, flat decks that are stretched out before you that it was easy for me to scrape the underside on the way out. Nowadays I go out with the intention of almost scraping the roof above my head and it seems to work fine.

I'll say it again, but once I get this Cutter and play with it for a while I hope to go back to the Conda as my main ship. Hopefully the Cutter will take some kind of super-hauler role. We'll see. Now that I have loads of money from Quince I'll buy A rated thrusters for the Conda and get them engineered. Should be all kinds of awesomeness, and maybe I can use some gimballed weapons instead of turrets.

I didn't even rank up last night: only had time to put in a couple of hours and I got to 100% Count rank, so it may be Friday before I get the Cutter.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 8, 2017

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I got to Baron and got a clipper and... besides the shiny hull and pretty cockpit I'm not impressed. It's worse than a python in every way. I don't really get it? Maybe I should just blow all my money on making a good anaconda. Maybe having an FDL for community goals that are bounty collections would be nice too.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Blind Rasputin posted:

I got to Baron and got a clipper and... besides the shiny hull and pretty cockpit I'm not impressed. It's worse than a python in every way. I don't really get it? Maybe I should just blow all my money on making a good anaconda. Maybe having an FDL for community goals that are bounty collections would be nice too.

Personally I felt a lot more deadly in it. Also, those engine noises + ramming. :getin:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

Being able to outrun most of the ships in the game, certainly any ship that would threaten it, is a hell of a thing.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Blind Rasputin posted:

Worse than a python in EVERY way, you say?

Imperial Clipper: 22,295,860 credits
Python: 56,978,179 credits

Sure, the Clipper is a large-size ship so it can't land at outposts, its hardpoints are kind of far apart, etc etc, but it's cheaper than a Python so spacepoors like me can get one easier. Plus, like you said, it has a shiny hull and pretty cockpit. It's got style and class!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

HJE-Cobra posted:

Worse than a python in EVERY way, you say?

Imperial Clipper: 22,295,860 credits
Python: 56,978,179 credits

Sure, the Clipper is a large-size ship so it can't land at outposts, its hardpoints are kind of far apart, etc etc, but it's cheaper than a Python so spacepoors like me can get one easier. Plus, like you said, it has a shiny hull and pretty cockpit. It's got style and class!

You can argue for the Python vs Clipper all day and never win for either ship. Both are pretty good.

But neither can match the majesty that is the Diamondback Scout :eng101:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I really just want camouflage paints for the Diamondback Scout so I can roleplay as a space hind gunship pilot.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

apropos man posted:

Hopefully the Cutter will take some kind of super-hauler role.

That's all I use it for, and it's amazing at it. Trading, community goal delivery, strip mining, etc. Anything where I want to pile hundreds of tons into my cargo hold and get poo poo done.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I fly anaconda in VR and it feels like you're looking up a cliff when flying it. On a 2d monitor it's just "uh, sure, some of my view is obscured" in 3d it's "why is there a metal skyscraper rotating with my inputs, wait that's my ship? :aaaaa:"

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Anaconda is large.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Blind Rasputin posted:

This is one of the better size comparison videos I just found. Nice to know the Asp Explorer is the size of a Boeing 777.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4bEQlVvUvI

Edit: drat, the graphics have sure come a long way from that pre-alpha footage. Also, Elite Dangerous has beat Star Citizen so hard at this game it isn't even funny.
He did an updated one for 2.2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2uaRHFmBT4

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

Anaconda is large.

The Anaconda hull weighs about as much as 45 F-16s which is about half the number of planes that a Nimitz class carrier holds.

So there could in theory be two condas on a carrier :v:

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

2.3 Beta Update 2 is here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/335548-2-3-Beta-Update-2

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Still no multicrew -- the marquee feature of this patch :lol:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

My buddy just bought Elite to play on his shiny new Oculus, what should I suggest he do first to help him have a good new player experience?

I considered mentioning the Quince money print, but decided that introducing him to that grind right out of the gate would probably rob him off any early game wonder and teach him all the wrong things.

Has anyone done a fresh start since 2.2? What did you do/enjoy?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

So an imperial cutter is the size of an aircraft carrier. That is pretty drat rad.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

If it's been that long, bad news: no reason to go to Sothis any more... :smith:

so if I want to switch from mining to space limoing, where's the best place to go to pick up the modules and some passengers?

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

My buddy just bought Elite to play on his shiny new Oculus, what should I suggest he do first to help him have a good new player experience?

First, get a HOTAS.

Second, read the manual and do the tutorials and make changes/tweaks to the control bindings to suit.

Third, make some sensible bindings for the galaxy map and don't trying using the mouse there. Trying to use a 2D pointing device in 3D space is an exercise in frustration.

Fourth, go forth and have fun.

I considered mentioning the Quince money print, but decided that introducing him to that grind right out of the gate would probably rob him off any early game wonder and teach him all the wrong things.

I certainly wouldn't recommend ruining the game for him already. The small ships are more fun to fly anyway.

I wiped my character when 2.2 launched. I started out doing a little bounty hunting until I could afford a Cobra MkIII (the best ship in the game), then I concentrated on working the background sim for the player faction I belong to, interspersed with whatever else I fancied at the time.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I am kind of in this boat. I bought Elite a long time ago and played for a week. Now I have a rift and got back into playing it. I am sitting at 2mil, flying an eagle, and mostly shooting skimmers cause its easy. I feel pretty weak when trying to kill other ships and not sure if I should say screw it and buy a different ship.

Last weekend I decided to use some spare wood and build stands jut for elite. (I would play DCS more but navigating menus in VR is a pain).

Edit: also dog hair. vacuum doesn't get it out upholstery.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Goons: join Diamond Frogs
Friends: Join Adamant Toads

We have very good newbie programs and helpful people in discord at most hours.

Sard
May 11, 2012

DancingShade posted:

I really just want camouflage paints for the Diamondback Scout so I can roleplay as a space hind gunship pilot.

For every ship, really. The camo paints are the best. Wanna wrap my Corvette up in that paint.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Man, that looks so much better than it does in the store. Kinda want it now but the sale is over.

Sard
May 11, 2012

"Oh boy, finally got my promotion mission to reach Marquis! 409 lightyears each way, but whatever, almost done with this grind."
"Alright, I'm at the destination system, just gotta select the starport and head in."
"Why isn't there a mission marker on the system map?"

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sard posted:

"Oh boy, finally got my promotion mission to reach Marquis! 409 lightyears each way, but whatever, almost done with this grind."
"Alright, I'm at the destination system, just gotta select the starport and head in."

Does this mean you traveled all that way for nothing because it's sending you somewhere just as far? I need context.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Sard posted:

In 2,3 those mission wrinkles are optional.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

tooterfish posted:

It is quite big, yes.

It does have damage states where you can see bits of the inside. It seems no one ever screenshots that poo poo though, maybe the new camera will help.

There is some old (pre alpha) footage of them where you can see the tessellated cargo holds quite nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg9k7E4ngFw&t=45s
I've got ya covered fam

It's a shame that the Anaconda is the only ship with this type of damage modelling cause it's cool as hell.

Sard
May 11, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Does this mean you traveled all that way for nothing because it's sending you somewhere just as far? I need context.

Ah, sorry, yes the place I started from is Millerport, in the Quince system which I'm being told to go back to because it looks like the alternate destination planner went awry.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I bought the Anaconda Community Chevron paint job during the recent Frontier sale for about £1.80.

The sale is over now, but it looks so good I would pay full price for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

apropos man posted:

I bought the Anaconda Community Chevron paint job during the recent Frontier sale for about £1.80.

The sale is over now, but it looks so good I would pay full price for it.

I'm about $100M away from being able to afford an anaconda + rebuy, but this Chris Foss-inspired stuff is going to be reeeeeally tempting.

• Locked thread