Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Since Drive Forms are my favorite part of the of KHII combat system, I held off on the PS3 version since I heard they have load times that detracted from the fluidity of combat. I am sincerely hoping that they run smooth and load instantly on a fresh PS4Pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I got rid of my PS3 I really want them to port it to PC but that's probably a pipe dream.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

considering we have digital versions on ps4 now, it's not impossible. se has slowly been porting over final fantasy games to steam for a while

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mostly as mobile phone ports though.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

This is my fourth copy of some of these games.

I know for others its their fifth or sixth version.

This is correct :shepicide:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Bust Rodd posted:

Since Drive Forms are my favorite part of the of KHII combat system, I held off on the PS3 version since I heard they have load times that detracted from the fluidity of combat. I am sincerely hoping that they run smooth and load instantly on a fresh PS4Pro

There is a delay, for sure, but from my experience it had no effect on combat. I played through on critical and never had trouble with it. Sure, speedrunners hate it, but it's such a little thing that shouldn't negatively affect how you play.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Shoren posted:

There is a delay, for sure, but from my experience it had no effect on combat. I played through on critical and never had trouble with it. Sure, speedrunners hate it, but it's such a little thing that shouldn't negatively affect how you play.

If you're going to fight the bonus super hard bosses (on critical mode), and exactly only then, does it become apparent that KH2's porting needs some work. In those fights, sometimes literally every frame does actually count, and you can actually get yourself killed by driving at the wrong time because the enemy will be ready with an attack the moment you come out (instead of still being in the hitstun). Not to mention the part where one of the bosses, Xemnas, has an actual bug introduced in his fight which makes it harder than normal.

Now luckily, you can just pause the game to skip the lengthened loading times on drives so it's a minor inconvenience at worst and I wouldn't let it stop you from playing the game, but it does actually noticeably affect even normal play sometimes.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0arQyR1jAsI

Straight from Square Enix's JP channel. Footage of 1.5 and Re:CoM from the new port. Silky smooth.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The conspicuous absence of 2.5 footage there is loving KILLING me

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

In the PS3 versions of 1.5 and 2.5, was there an option like there is in the FFX remaster to change the background music back to the original versions from the PS2? I know the differences are very slight here compared to that game but it's enough that I still have a preference of one over the other.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not that the differences are "slight," the songs are just better because they're not lovely midis anymore.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Amppelix posted:

If you're going to fight the bonus super hard bosses (on critical mode), and exactly only then, does it become apparent that KH2's porting needs some work. In those fights, sometimes literally every frame does actually count, and you can actually get yourself killed by driving at the wrong time because the enemy will be ready with an attack the moment you come out (instead of still being in the hitstun). Not to mention the part where one of the bosses, Xemnas, has an actual bug introduced in his fight which makes it harder than normal.

Now luckily, you can just pause the game to skip the lengthened loading times on drives so it's a minor inconvenience at worst and I wouldn't let it stop you from playing the game, but it does actually noticeably affect even normal play sometimes.

I can't believe they allowed Super Vexen to exist as a fight. Who allowed this awful piece of garbage into the video game

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
The PS3 versions didn't include the option for the older soundtracks, so I wouldn't expect that to come up in the PS4 ports either.

And I wouldn't call the new soundtracks better. At least for 1.5, I didn't like most of the new arrangements due to either new (and, imo, poorer) mixing or the differing decisions of arrangement/performance that changed the tone of a bunch of songs. The ones that were actual improvements were few and far between, I felt, and I haven't really seen people form any consensus on this.

Big exception to He's a Pirate, though. The difference is like night and day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfKJrc99-No

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fair point, I forgot that a lot of songs were mixed differently. The Other Promise in particular sounds rather different due to the emphasis on different instruments.

I still honestly think it's overall better but I won't begrudge the difference in opinion.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Mostly as mobile phone ports though.

they did put all of the ff13 games on pc at least. ff15 started development so long ago and had so much trouble that I doubt they thought about it until after the game was out, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that on pc at some point as well

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The game comes out Thursday in Japan? Any word on the trophies/saves yet?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

bizarre deformity posted:

The game comes out Thursday in Japan? Any word on the trophies/saves yet?

Pretty sure you're gonna be poo poo out of luck for saves. If there wasn't a cloud saving option then I doubt you'll have anything.

As for trophies:
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/03/07/kingdom-hearts-hd-1-5-2-5-remix-ps4-includes-four-platinum-trophies/

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zaa Boogie posted:

Pretty sure you're gonna be poo poo out of luck for saves. If there wasn't a cloud saving option then I doubt you'll have anything.

As for trophies:
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/03/07/kingdom-hearts-hd-1-5-2-5-remix-ps4-includes-four-platinum-trophies/
This would suggest they don't share a list with the PS3 versions, which is very disappointing.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

What the fuuuuck. Definitely not getting it then.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Zaa Boogie posted:

As for trophies:

That's strange that there are so few trophies compared to the PS3 releases. They look like easy platinum trophies in comparison.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Raxivace posted:

This would suggest they don't share a list with the PS3 versions, which is very disappointing.

Boo! Hiss! Boo!

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Shoren posted:

That's strange that there are so few trophies compared to the PS3 releases. They look like easy platinum trophies in comparison.

There's were 222 trophies total in the original two releases. There's 201 in 1.5 + 2.5. Looks like there aren't any for the movies anymore so that's 11 gone.

Also I'm not sure why people are surprised. I don't really remember times when trophies carried over to a whole 'nother release after the fact.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD carried over everything.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD carried over everything.

That also had cross save support, which seems like a good linchpin on whether a game will have cross trophies or not.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What the fuuuuck. Definitely not getting it then.
I'm just torn between wanting what is probably going to be the best version of KH2FM and an OCD dislike of the same game multiple times on my Trophy List.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

I'm putting up with it, and I'm likely to drive myself insane by getting those Platinums AGAIN.

Why? Because I'm an idiot/hate myself, that's why.

The only good thing is that I'll only need to play through Re:Chain of Memories twice because the Difficulty trophies now stack.

Still have to finish Dream Drop Distance's Platinum and run through 0.2 on Critical...once I beat Zodiac Aqua and hit Lv. 80 too.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Volfogg posted:

I'm putting up with it, and I'm likely to drive myself insane by getting those Platinums AGAIN.

Why? Because I'm an idiot/hate myself, that's why.

The only good thing is that I'll only need to play through Re:Chain of Memories twice because the Difficulty trophies now stack.

Still have to finish Dream Drop Distance's Platinum and run through 0.2 on Critical...once I beat Zodiac Aqua and hit Lv. 80 too.

Dream Drop Distance was pretty doable. Only 1 run on critical needed and you don't need the ingame trophies.
But count me in as well for going through these games again.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
footage of PS4 KH1FM and Re:CoM is surfacing from japanese people who've somehow got it a day early and those load times are loving lightning. Like, random room transitions are down to 2 seconds from 7, adds up super quickly. But seriously, show us 2FM already.

i'm gonna buy these games for a third time just for speedruns lmao, it'll be super sick to have the best versions of like four of those games on the one disc.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 8, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah this is the real appealing thing. You just know by the end of the year, the collection will be on sale for 20 bucks, a steal. But it's the definite best possible edition of these games, with super fast loading and the best fps as well as a great, high resolution.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Yup, 2FM and BBS seem to also be 60 fps and have good loading. Square just put up footage of 2FM and BBS to compare. KH2 drive forms have good loading, though for some reason the BBS footage neglected to put in a clip of starting up a D-Link. But since drive form loading is already fast I can only presume D-link loading is fine now too. We do still have to wait on reports though to hear if the bugs from 2FM (from english 2.5) are gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57CibvXa5q0

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh that load time is sexy. Now the question remains if they've fixed that drat bug they managed to introduce for Xemnas. If they do this'll finally be the definitive version of the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What was the bug?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Sakurazuka posted:

What was the bug?

When you're reaction-command air dodging that thing he does right at the start of the final battle, half the time the reaction commands just wouldn't show up so you'd take a bunch of unavoidable hits

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Sakurazuka posted:

What was the bug?

It could either mean the common crash at the first Xemnas fight or the problem with Final Xemnas where the RC randomly doesn't show in the sequence where he throws Sora into the air. I've heard about some more bugs with 2.5 2FM but I can't remember everything at the moment.

Though, speaking of bugs, I'm sad that we probably won't see the old BGM glitch from PS2 2FM which made for some hilarious moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSHVXE30oag

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The old BGM glitch was cool and was one my favorite things I learned about from watching speedruns of KH2.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Ventana posted:

Yup, 2FM and BBS seem to also be 60 fps and have good loading. Square just put up footage of 2FM and BBS to compare. KH2 drive forms have good loading, though for some reason the BBS footage neglected to put in a clip of starting up a D-Link. But since drive form loading is already fast I can only presume D-link loading is fine now too. We do still have to wait on reports though to hear if the bugs from 2FM (from english 2.5) are gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57CibvXa5q0

oh my god the drive form and command style loads are instant this is so exciting

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

oh my god the drive form and command style loads are instant this is so exciting

They got 16 times more RAM to work with than on the PS3, so they probably just stuck 'em all in memory specifically to avoid a repeat of the issue

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Instant Grat posted:

They got 16 times more RAM to work with than on the PS3, so they probably just stuck 'em all in memory specifically to avoid a repeat of the issue

Why was it a non issue on the ps2? I thought that it was because of the architecture of the ps3 being different and too difficult to seamlessly port it over?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Amppelix posted:

Oh that load time is sexy. Now the question remains if they've fixed that drat bug they managed to introduce for Xemnas. If they do this'll finally be the definitive version of the game.

That bug was because of the game taking too long to load the RCs, so probably.
But there was also a problem where the English version was slower because the game loaded the Japanese and English translations on top of each other for some reason, hopefully they fixed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Sefal posted:

Why was it a non issue on the ps2? I thought that it was because of the architecture of the ps3 being different and too difficult to seamlessly port it over?

Don't ask me, I'm not a console developer. I do seem to remember that loading the same drive form twice in the same battle on PS3 would result in the second transformation being much quicker than the first, which seems like an indication that there was some disc access going on during drive form transformations, but it's all just semi-educated guessing.

Augus posted:

But there was also a problem where the English version was slower because the game loaded the Japanese and English translations on top of each other for some reason, hopefully they fixed that.

Oh yeah, they did do that ridiculous "patching the text in real-time" thing, didn't they

good job guys