Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
The whole ridiculous video lengths also has to do with taking advantage of Youtubes recommendations algorithm getting changed. Basically longer vidoes are more likely to get recommended or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the biggest Intel fan ever because mostly their stuff is solid and reliable and has been forever. On the other hand I want a Ryzen workstation. 8c/16t has been a dream of mine for a long time and Ryzen seems well optimized for heavily threaded workloads. I guess I'll be waiting for solid BIOS/Motherboards, however long that takes.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I don't know about an AMD for myself anytime soon, but I really do want to build a new rig with Ryzen sometime in the future. Really for a midrange build for someone I can't say I wouldn't recommend it if someone is doing more than gaming with it.

Really once all the R3/R5's are out, it will be interesting to see what the options will be. Last AMD I built was a X6 1100T for some lite home PC use. (Mostly Pictures with a side of Cryptolocker until I got that drat network AdBlocked). It was a cheap as hell Newegg Bundle.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

redeyes posted:

I'm the biggest Intel fan ever because mostly their stuff is solid and reliable and has been forever.

Ah, hm, not 100% certain about that. Probably tons of others I couldn't recall.

Not saying they're not brilliant in general, though, but we shouldn't paint an image of perfection.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Comedy option: Netburst

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

eames posted:

yeah, the more I learn about Ryzen the more it looks like a very efficient server CPU/mobile APU architecture with solid Desktop/HEDT performance as an afterthought.

Guess where the money is lol

Also glofo 14nm is an adapted Samsung mobile process not a balls out desktop one

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Paul MaudDib posted:

Remember that like 70%+ of all Steam systems are either ancient (pre-DX12) or integrated graphics or both lol

Laptops, as everywhere, are totally dominant in percent terms.

Last time I checked the most common resolution on Steam was 1366x768... By a decent bit

According to the February 2017 steam hardware survey:

74.89% of systems support DirectX 12 on the GPU
Adding up the listed video cards, blatantly mobile video cards do not seem to form a majority, but there's also a lot of cards that show up in "other" so it makes it hard to tell.
43.23% of primary monitors are 1920x1080 (only 24.09% are 1366x768). Also, for users with multiple monitors the most common configuration is dual 1920x1080 monitors, placed side by side, at 32.31%.

FaustianQ posted:

The whole ridiculous video lengths also has to do with taking advantage of Youtubes recommendations algorithm getting changed. Basically longer vidoes are more likely to get recommended or some poo poo.
It's more complicated than that. Long videos also get bigger penalties in the recommendation system for people not finishing most of the video. So just making a long video will actually hurt you if it's not interesting enough for your viewers to watch most of the way through.

Granted a bunch of YouTubers don't actually understand that last part and so put out overly long videos that hurt them anyway...

fishmech fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 7, 2017

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

fishmech posted:

43.23% of primary monitors are 1920x1080 (only 24.09% are 1366x768). Also, for users with multiple monitors the most common configuration is dual 1920x1080 monitors, placed side by side, at 32.31%.

To further illustrate just how little of a footprint monitors above 1920x1200 have here's the numbers from Steam for these monitors:

2560 x 1080 0.51% +0.03%
2560 x 1440 1.81% -0.02%
3440 x 1440 0.22% +0.01%
3840 x 2160 0.69% +0.47%

Hell of a long way to go to reach significant numbers.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Interestingly Steam seems to be reporting my 4K screen as 4K now, I'm sure it used to report the scaled resolution (so @150% that was 2560x1440)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

TheCoach posted:

To further illustrate just how little of a footprint monitors above 1920x1200 have here's the numbers from Steam for these monitors:

2560 x 1080 0.51% +0.03%
2560 x 1440 1.81% -0.02%
3440 x 1440 0.22% +0.01%
3840 x 2160 0.69% +0.47%

Hell of a long way to go to reach significant numbers.

Ugh it'll be forever until we get good 4k on PC

The consoles are doing more for this than anything else

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Malcolm XML posted:

If consoles and TVs start doing 4k, PCs will eventually follow

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

Guess where the money is lol

Also glofo 14nm is an adapted Samsung mobile process not a balls out desktop one

What's the difference between a mobile and desktop process? The mobile can't take as much power?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ragingsheep posted:

What's the difference between a mobile and desktop process? The mobile can't take as much power?
Zen (14nm LPP), Polaris (14nm LPP), Apollo Lake (14nm Intel) = Better for chip density and lower power consumption at specced voltages, bad for raising clocks and dissipating heat as you hit diminishing returns faster
Pascal (16nm TSMC) = Lower density design, better for achieving insane clocks and heat dissipation, low chip density and higher power consumption
Sky/Kaby/Coffee Lake (14nm Intel) = Tries to be somewhere in between the above two

Intel could actually make the high speed Lake CPU designs denser if they wanted to, but they want to sell 4Ghz Xeons someday and they have to have 3.2ghz-for-one-second "4.5w" processors as a bullet point for sales.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Malcolm XML posted:

What you mean. 4K is here buddy

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

redeyes posted:

What you mean. 4K is here buddy

And already planning on obsolesce. 8k is our bigger and brighter future.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 8, 2017

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
so am I the only one ITT using 2560x1600?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Seamonster posted:

:chloe:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Horrible Mechanical Failures thread in AI had a derail recently where everyone added up lifetime cylinders/displacement/horsepower/engines owned.

Let’s not do that with pixels/monitors.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Seamonster posted:

30" professional monitor users unite!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Platystemon posted:

The Horrible Mechanical Failures thread in AI had a derail recently where everyone added up lifetime cylinders/displacement/horsepower/engines owned.

Let’s not do that with pixels/monitors.

Though, my family's cylinder count is probably higher than most anyone in this thread. :smug:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

EdEddnEddy posted:

Though, my family's cylinder count is probably higher than most anyone in this thread. :smug:

please don't weight shame your family here :(

content: a team-red buddy of mine said that historically, building a machine with a ATI GPU and AMD CPU meant better game performance, compared to mixing and matching between intel and NVIDIA? I can't seem to find any consensus on this nowadays because I feel like i've heard that line before long ago, but it doesnt make a lick of sense today, considering there must be countless variables. Did games ever recognize this and support it?

buglord fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 8, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Venting a bit, because of some loving preposterously large CAD files at work: SAVE ME ZEN, I NEED A loving UPGRADE NOW.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

buglord posted:

please don't weight shame your family here :(

content: a team-red buddy of mine said that historically, building a machine with a ATI GPU and AMD CPU meant better game performance, compared to mixing and matching between intel and NVIDIA? I can't seem to find any consensus on this nowadays because I feel like i've heard that line before long ago, but it doesnt make a lick of sense today, considering there must be countless variables. Did games ever recognize this and support it?

You can explain said quote by him simply being on team red. Even back in the day where the Athlon 64 ran circles around P4, the weapon of choice was the superlative NV 6600GT (or higher). I remember using a gainward golden sample card, and OCing through the roof with it.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 8, 2017

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Ryzen Platform Affected by RTC Bias; W8/8.1/10 Not Allowed on Select Benchmarks

In a statement issued by the Head of Moderation Christian Ney, we have confirmed that the AM4 platform is affected by the Windows 8/8.1/10 RTC bias. The bias occurs when adjusting the reference clock at run-time and will affect the Windows timer, causing benchmarks to perceive time slower (or faster) than it really is. This results in benchmark scores affected in such a way that the benchmark scores reported do not reflect real performance.

The RTC bias is referenced in the ROG Crosshair VI Hero Extreme Overclocking guide available on Overclocking.guide: "Timer is skewed when changing REFCLK in Windows 8+. Additionally the default systimer has issues with OS ratio changes unless HPET is enabled. To summarize, always enable HPET on this platform."

We described the behavior of the RTC bias in an article published on August 18, 2013 (see below). We also issued rules updates for the Skylake platform in an article published on November 5, 2015.

quote:

“The concept of ‘time’ on a PC configuration is, if not synced via network or internet, an arbitrarily defined constant designed to ensure that the configuration is running in sync with the real world. In other words: hardware and software engineers ensure that ‘one second’ on your PC equals ‘one second’ in real time. One of the reasons why it’s so important to have the PC’s timer line up with the real world time is to ensure that your PC can produce accurate measurements and predictions.” The points we brought up in that editorial are relevant again. To ensure that the arbitrarily defined constant of ‘time’ is the same on everyone’s benchmark system, we rely on the OS and hardware. This worked quite well, until Windows8 came around.

The problem builds on the problems we faced with Heaven. When downclocking the system under Windows8, the Windows RTC is affected as well. The biggest difference between Windows7 and Windows8 is that now all benchmarks (no exception) are affected.

Let us make this more practical. On our Haswell test system we downclocked the BCLK frequency by about 6% from 130 MHz to 122MHz. Using a CPU ratio of respectively 32x and 34x, the resulting CPU frequency remains 4160MHz. Then we ran comparison benchmarks.

With immediate effect, we no longer accept AM4-based overclocking result submissions with Windows 8/8.1/10-based Operating Systems for benchmarks listed in the General Rules, Section 1.6. You are allowed to use those operating systems with approved benchmarks such as the entire 3DMark suite, GPUPI, HWBOT X265 Benchmark, Y-Cruncher, Realbench and CPU-Z. We will keep you updated on any changes to this list.

For reliable performance measurements with at run-time overclocking, we recommend enabling the High Performance Event Timer (HPET). Alternatively you can opt to use a Windows 7 based operating system. Note that at run-time overclocking using the CPU multiplier will not result in RTC bias (under investigation).

We are also investigating the impact of the "Ryzen Sleep bug" possibly affecting benchmark integrity.

The HWBOT Staff.

-----------

And this explains the 28m video that we saw yesterday.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Seamonster posted:

Nope, me too. Hell yeah 30" 16:10

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Dante80 posted:

And this explains the 28m video that we saw yesterday.

Getting hung up on the use of the word 'bias', because that word carries some intentionality to me. But it seems given the positive and negative results bias spits out, it seems to be because of a glitch?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
@tekwendell thinks he may have IOMMU working. Virtualization ho!

https://twitter.com/tekwendell/status/839187630315171843

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Walked posted:

Nope, me too. Hell yeah 30" 16:10

I agree it's a nice resolution

for a 13" MacBook Pro

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Zen (14nm LPP), Polaris (14nm LPP), Apollo Lake (14nm Intel) = Better for chip density and lower power consumption at specced voltages, bad for raising clocks and dissipating heat as you hit diminishing returns faster
Pascal (16nm TSMC) = Lower density design, better for achieving insane clocks and heat dissipation, low chip density and higher power consumption
Sky/Kaby/Coffee Lake (14nm Intel) = Tries to be somewhere in between the above two

Intel could actually make the high speed Lake CPU designs denser if they wanted to, but they want to sell 4Ghz Xeons someday and they have to have 3.2ghz-for-one-second "4.5w" processors as a bullet point for sales.

Source? The biggest differences between the 14 app and 16 is that basically '16nm' has slightly larger interconnects (~ the size of what was in 20nm): a bit thicker, wider, spaced further apart, as well as samsung having a diffusion break technique that gives better power and lower Vt (iirc) (but is less reliable in terms of yield). What specifically creates more current/heat with higher clocks? I mean, the difference in interconnect sizes between 14 and 16 is not that big-- maybe less than 10 nm for pitches, a few nm here, another 5-10 there etc

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
They're gonna need to pack in another AMD_CPU_unfucker_install.exe with every steam game like in the olden days, aren't they :ohdear:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Arrrghhh all the x370 boards are out of stock :argh:

jpl9330
Oct 3, 2013

Prescription Combs posted:

Arrrghhh all the x370 boards are out of stock :argh:

I feel your pain on this one. I've got an entire system other than the motherboard sitting on my table right now. Just waiting on my backordered Taichi to get back in stock.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

jpl9330 posted:

I feel your pain on this one. I've got an entire system other than the motherboard sitting on my table right now. Just waiting on my backordered Taichi to get back in stock.

Uhg... My cpu gets to my place this Friday. My Taichi is still on pre-order, despite being 'released' on March second. I dunno, for some time it was displaying March ninth, I'm not sure why it bounced back to the second. It looks like I won't be able to build my system until the seventeenth, assuming my mobo ships by this Friday.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking for the roadmap to Zen+ is throwing me. I won't be building my long overdue new compy for at least 4 or 5 months, so I figure I should anticipate the possibility of the first overhaul for Ryzen for that. Problem is I can't find anything about it when I look anymore.

When were we expecting the Zen+ processors again?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Looking for the roadmap to Zen+ is throwing me. I won't be building my long overdue new compy for at least 4 or 5 months, so I figure I should anticipate the possibility of the first overhaul for Ryzen for that. Problem is I can't find anything about it when I look anymore.

When were we expecting the Zen+ processors again?

Early 2018, called Pinnacle Ridge, RUMOR
https://translate.google.com/transl...t-text=&act=url

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

I love cats posted:

Six months ago when RX480 was released, AMD touted that 1080p gaming is where it is at, and buying that, you buy into the future. Now, with Zen, they say 1440p and 4k is where it is that and it is buying into the feature. And people just eat that poo poo up and don't take a total of a second to consider that contradiction?
That isn't what AMD or any of the people complaining about the way some are interpreting the benchmarks said at all.

What AMD said about 1080p gaming resolution was that its one of the most common used and they put out a product that does fairly well at that resolution for a good price (ie. 480 GPU). Which is indisputably true in of itself.

What is happening now is totally different and being done for totally different reasons. People are using (so called, 1080p isn't really low to me but whatever) "low resolution" gaming benchmarks to alleviate any GPU bottlenecks and to bring out differences between different CPU's to show which is more powerful and/or as a indicator of performance in future games.

Some are looking at these benchmarks and seeing them as indicators of Zen being too mediocre for gaming to consider buying vs a OC'd or even stock 7700K. Others are saying those benchmarks aren't a particularly good indicator of gaming performance for Zen from a practical standpoint (framerates are often so high that even a 240Hz monitor couldn't display them all at that resolution, other things like frame latency (smoothness) aren't being counted or considered, etc.) and that at resolutions many people would prefer to play at (ie. 1440p or higher) the difference is negligible now and likely to get smaller as time goes on and more software makes better use of more threads.

IMO given the odd bugs that still need working out and that current benches are being done without proper windows support the results for Zen are pretty drat solid and generally a bit better than I expected. One of the guys in the review videos linked in this thread called the "Mario from Super Mario Kart" of CPU's (ie. good at everything but not the best at anything either) and I think that was spot on. Given the fairly reasonable price they're offering for it I think there is a solid value perspective (yes even for gaming but in particular for productivity software) to consider here and I'm totally at a loss regarding all the drama and strawman smacking that has sprung up around Zen's gaming benches.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 8, 2017

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Zen isn't literally CPU Jesus.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
The problem is that there is no way of knowing if the single thread IPC advantage of a 7700k or the core & thread advantage of Ryzen will be more important 4-6 years from now as far as gaming goes and frankly there is no way to resolve that question other than waiting. In that case the question that we can answer now is "Is Ryzen's single thread IPC detrimental enough that it overshadows the other advantages of the platform?" the answer to that question will vary with your particular setup as far as what games you play, resolution and your frame rate targets, but I would speculate that for most gamers the IPC disadvantage is not a big enough disadvantage that it really puts Ryzen out of the running. The next question is "Are Ryzen's advantages beneficial to any of my workloads?" and the answer for most gamers is going to be a No. So in the end I don't think it makes much sense to switch to Ryzen if you already have a decent CPU for gaming, but if you were already going to upgrade I think you could honestly go either way and be pretty happy with your purchase. In light of that I would recommend Ryzen, at least once the kinks are worked out, because there are more things that you might want to do in the future as far as multitasking and multithreaded workloads that Ryzen gives you access to than things that Ryzen's lower IPC bars you from doing.

Also the more AMD sells the bigger the fire under Intel's rear end to lower prices or come up with better products.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So in the end I don't think it makes much sense to switch to Ryzen if you already have a decent CPU for gaming
Well yeah sure, and I've said before in thread its probably not worth getting Ryzen if you already have Haswell or newer unless you need lots of threads. edit: If you're in the market though for a new CPU and coming from a much older one (ie. Sandy Bridge) it still seems to hold up real well vs the 7700K or 6900 to me.

I think its reasonable to say that software programmers in general are quite aware by now that much more clockspeed isn't in the cards and neither is lots more IPC but more threads will be available + console constraints will push the games to make use of more threads over time too.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ryzen is a Jack of all Trades that spent the past decade buffing his core strength at a detriment to other things (while still not being a slouch, per se)

• Locked thread