Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Dralun posted:

What's the mod or setting that displays your damage done in the upper right hand corner?

argh beaten handily by heartcatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2017/03/07/italian-premium-cruiser-duca-daosta-incoming/#more-43885

Check it outttt

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I still think it looks a lot like Kirov.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Heartcatch posted:

hmm

ooohh Wikipedia to the rescue

wikipedia posted:

Following the October Revolution and the subsequent Russian Civil War, Soviet industry was not capable of designing large, complex warships by itself and sought foreign assistance. The Ansaldo company provided plans for the contemporary Raimondo Montecuccoli-class cruisers and a design displacing 7,200 tonnes (7,086 long tons) and armed with six 180-millimetre (7.1 in) guns in twin turrets was produced in 1933. The Italians guaranteed that the cruiser could make 37 knots (69 km/h; 43 mph) on trials if the size was kept under the 7200-tonne limit. The designer of the new turret managed to persuade his superiors that he could fit triple turrets to the ship while keeping it within the specified limit, and this design was approved in November 1934 as the Project 26.[1]

The Soviets bought an example of, and plans for, the machinery of the later Duca d'Aosta-class cruisers and had some difficulty in adapting the smaller hull for the larger and more-powerful machinery, so much so that it delayed the start of construction. Another problem was that the Italian design had to be adapted to use the Soviet preference for a mix of longitudinal framing for the hull framing amidships and transverse framing for the ends, while also reinforcing the hull structure to withstand the more-severe weather conditions that the Soviets commonly encountered.

Pacra fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 8, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Heartcatch posted:

I don't know about the Kirov in particular, but the Russians copied a lot of ship designs from the Italians.

E: Well there you go then.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Support has made their decree: Faustfick is dead, long live Sparkledancer.

Sigh.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Pseudophile posted:

Support has made their decree: Faustfick is dead, long live Sparkledancer.

Sigh.

Maybe I'm not getting the joke, but what the gently caress is wrong with Faustfick?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

It's German.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

El Disco posted:

Maybe I'm not getting the joke, but what the gently caress is wrong with Faustfick?

"Fick" is German for "gently caress." "Faust" is not only a book by Goethe but German for "fist." He named himself "Fistfuck."

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Fick" is German for "gently caress." "Faust" is not only a book by Goethe but German for "fist." He named himself "Fistfuck."

And it somehow went unnoticed for two years!

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Pseudophile posted:

And it somehow went unnoticed for two years!

You just need to piss off the wrong person once.

Ask me about the mighty Dranaei Warrior Bumpinuglies.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Same tier as Perth, Molotov, and Graf Spee

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 8, 2017

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I will buy the poo poo out of this thing.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Looks pretty cruiser-like. I'll wait till I see what the gimmick is.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Speaking about gimmicks I wonder what French cruiser line gimmick might be?

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Hazdoc posted:

Looks pretty cruiser-like. I'll wait till I see what the gimmick is.

Gonna call it ahead: it will have Engine Boost. Considering it is going to be the fastest cruiser in the game, it could be the Italian gimmick when (if) the line is eventually introduced.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
So it's fast, it could have up to 100mm of armor, and the guns could be okay or they could be absolute trash (Italian barrel designs in real life were bad meaning the accuracy left a lot to be desired).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Gives us an idea of what will be where in the tree at least, say Piemonte T2, Nino Bixio T3, Alberto da Giussano T5, Raimondo Montecuccoli T6 [Duca d'Aosta premium T6], and Luigi di Savoia Duca Degli Abruzzi T7

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'd like the destroyers, but I have a feeling that more people want Roma than they want Maestrale.

Engine boost is super likely to be the Italian gimmick, I agree.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well that explains it! :tipshat:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

What's a good build for a North Carolina, I was considering either a stealth build like this

Priority Target
Expert Marksman
Basics of Survivabilty
Concealment Expert

with

Main Armament Modification 1
AA Gun Modification 2
Damage Control 1
Damage Control 2
Concealment Modification

or a more Offensive/AA build like

Direction Center for Catapult Aircraft
Expert Marksman
Basic Firing Training
Advanced Firing Training

with

AA Gun Modification 2
Damage Control 1
Steering Gear Modification
Target Acquisition System Modification

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Aramoro posted:

What's a good build for a North Carolina, I was considering either a stealth build like this

Priority Target
Expert Marksman
Basics of Survivabilty
Concealment Expert

with

AA Gun Modification 2
Damage Control 1
Damage Control 2
Concealment Modification

Expert Marksman
Basic Firing Training
Advanced Firing Training

with

AA Gun Modification 2
Damage Control 1

I would say you want priority target or preventative maintenance, expert marksman, then either superintendent if you're like me and burn through all your heals often, or vigilance if you want advance warning of torpedoes, and concealment.

Your stealth build modules look okay but I would be tempted to put the rudder shift mod in.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Aramoro posted:

Priority Target
Expert Marksman
Basics of Survivabilty
Concealment Expert

with

AA Gun Modification 2
Damage Control 1
Damage Control 2
Concealment Modification

Expert Marksman
Basic Firing Training
Advanced Firing Training

with

AA Gun Modification 2
Damage Control 1

Wouldn't bother with priority target on a BB. Personally enjoy preventive maintenance to further try to prevent the loss of those turrets (but both are okay). Expert marksman is good. Then you'll pretty much always want superintendent as that will give you an extra heal charge, which is invaluable. Concealment expert is good, because a stealth NC is pretty funny. Further options when you have points to spare are vigilance, AFT, and such.

Personally wouldn't bother with an AA build right now (primarily), with the state CVs are in. Having said that, I would pick:

AA Gun Modification 2
Damage Control 1
Concealment Modification

MAM 1 is a no-brainer, AA gun mod 2 is good because you honestly don't need more range or turret traverse at the cost of reload speed.
Steering gear is almost necessary, and even more so with the Iowa and Montana. Concealment modification, because despite WG's preachings there is still no better choice. Also TAM is just dumb.

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 8, 2017

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Iceshade posted:

Also TAM is just dumb.

I'm not 100% clear what TASM does, it just seemed like a good idea to spot torps from further out. I hadn't noticed how slow the rudder shift on the NC was so that's definitely in.

I'll go for

Preventive Maintenance
Expert Marksman
Superintendent
Concealment Expert

for the first 10 then then Vigilance after that.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
I find TAM pretty useful, I'm always close to action and don't really use the extra concealment in a battleship. Being able to spot torps and see in smoke to 3km (instead of 2) is pretty handy.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
As a NavyField refugee, I'm a little dismayed by the spread of the guns on my ships, and there doesn't seem to be any modules or skills or anything that improves that. Am I missing something or is everything a shotgun in this game?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

fatman1683 posted:

As a NavyField refugee, I'm a little dismayed by the spread of the guns on my ships, and there doesn't seem to be any modules or skills or anything that improves that. Am I missing something or is everything a shotgun in this game?

There's a mod that reduces main gun dispersion called Aiming Systems Modification 1, available from tier 5 up on everything except American battleships, who get Artillery Plotting Room Modification 2 at tier 9

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

There's a mod that reduces main gun dispersion called Aiming Systems Modification 1, available from tier 5 up on everything except American battleships, who get Artillery Plotting Room Modification 2 at tier 9

How does that balance out American battleships vs everybody else's? Are American guns going to be less accurate until tier 9?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

fatman1683 posted:

Pray to RNGesus.

Edit: Seriously, the plotting room helps but a lot of this game comes down to RNG. ALso the ships themselves have a value that assists with the veritcal dispersion called Sigma and some ships are therefore inherently more accurate than others in the veritcal plane but even with that and plotting room you'll find that in reality your ship is still aiming at a general area and your shells will land at random spots within that area.

This is a simplistic explanation, but the RNG is real.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 8, 2017

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

Pray to RNGesus.

Edit: Seriously, the plotting room helps but a lot of this game comes down to RNG. ALso the ships themselves have a value that assists with the veritcal dispersion called Sigma and some ships are therefore inherently more accurate than others in the veritcal plane but even with that and plotting room you'll find that in reality your ship is still aiming at a general area and your shells will land at random spots within that area.

This is a simplistic explanation, but the RNG is real.

Thanks for the clarification.

So if I'm unnaturally annoyed by gun dispersion and want to sail the most accurate boat, what would you suggest?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

fatman1683 posted:

So if I'm unnaturally annoyed by gun dispersion and want to sail the most accurate boat, what would you suggest?

Warspite

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Russian cruiser line. They are hells of accurate.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

fatman1683 posted:

Play boats you think are cool because you will inevitably be annoyed by gun dispersion regardless.

It's more of an annoyance the longer your reload time is. So when you're driving a battleship and you reload once every half a minute and you get a crazy dispersion that gets you a bunch of overpens or something you're going to get pretty annoyed. The balance to this is when everything works out you can delete ships off the map in a single salvo.

The American battleships have some ships that have excellent sigma values. They also have some ships like the New Mexico with lovely Sigma values. This is usually balanced out by having a greater number of guns. So like the Colorado starting with the B hull had great dispersion but it has 8 guns. The New Mexico has lovely dispersion but it has 12.

It's really all over the map, so personally I don't see a point in going for the one that has the best numbers.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Thanks for all the input, I'll try a few different things and see if I can find an option that annoys me the least.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

fatman1683 posted:

Definitely Russian cruisers. Their guns from T5+ are all quite accurate high velocity flame throwers with typically decent rates of fire, too.

Battleship wise, Japanese BBs have typically good accuracy, and Yamato has the best in game. US North Carolina and Iowa are close seconds though. Steer clear of German BBs, because their poo poo is all awful shotguns.

All the low tier BBs are going to be extremely poo poo accuracy wise though.

xXWehrabooXx
Mar 11, 2014

fatman1683 posted:

The most accurate battleship in the game is Yamato.
IJN battleships are all accurate except for Kawachi, Myogi and Fuso.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

fatman1683 posted:

How does that balance out American battleships vs everybody else's? Are American guns going to be less accurate until tier 9?

American battleships get a different mod instead, that increases main battery range, secondary range, and secondary dispersion, which is more important for New Mexico and Colorado, as their short main gun range is often more of a problem than their accuracy.

When people call any battleship accurate, it's important to understand that in relative terms - every battleship is inaccurate, some are just marginally less inaccurate than others; it's a pretty razor thin difference between most of them in practical terms.

DDs > CLs > CAs > BBs for accuracy in relative terms, as the least accurate cruiser is more accurate than the most accurate battleship.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 8, 2017

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

Definitely Russian cruisers. Their guns from T5+ are all quite accurate high velocity flame throwers with typically decent rates of fire, too.

Battleship wise, Japanese BBs have typically good accuracy, and Yamato has the best in game. US North Carolina and Iowa are close seconds though. Steer clear of German BBs, because their poo poo is all awful shotguns.

All the low tier BBs are going to be extremely poo poo accuracy wise though.

The König has very good accuracy :colbert:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

PirateBob posted:

The König has very good accuracy :colbert:

As demonstrated in Flamu's latest low-tier guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98aQKYR4F2c&t=480s

He literally raves about its accuracy and how amazing it is compared to other tier 5 ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'm not disappointed with the emphasis on new cruisers as the next line push, plus the RM d'Aosta, but it is somewhat strange for them to unveil French and Italian ships when the community has been clamouring for RN BBs. Then again, no one particularly cared for the second branch of VMF DDs or the original VMF branches, including the Russians.

I've always liked the French navy on the other hand, so I will give the cruisers a try. Would obviously prefer more destroyer lines, but given how the IJN and VMF splits have ballooned DD counts in mid-to-high tier on the Asia server, that's probably a bad idea for the time being.

In other news, I've discovered a new way to get teamkilled. Kill a pubbie in a random battle, then go play ranked after you win and get them on your team. Ah, the halcyon days of getting teamkilled for just running the Alpha flag have finally returned to me. :yaycloud: